• 2 Post By Samps

post #1 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
DIYSG Dual-18 Subwoofer Kit?

The DIYSG site shows the new assembled dual-18 subwoofer cabinet...and indicates that "This is the same cabinet used in the Dual-18 subwoofer kit." I don't find a Dual-18 subwoofer kit on the DIYSG site or others (such as Parts Express). Anybody know where this "kit" is found?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Still a work in progress, or an abandoned idea. Cabs would be the same. The kits would come with the drivers and preprogrammed amps.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Still a work in progress, or an abandoned idea. Cabs would be the same. The kits would come with the drivers and preprogrammed amps.
Thanks for the response.

It seems that a vented single-18 version of this would be a good match with the Dayton RSS460HO-4 18" (Vented F3 at approx. 8 cu ft = 23Hz). I could certainly put a couple of those to work.

Or maybe the Dayton UM18-22 18" is a better choice for a single-18 vented design.

Last edited by Cam Man; 07-18-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A dual purpose cab could work. Same outer dimensions with different baffles. Ported would just need plastic port tubes. Bracing would have to be designed to work for both the dual sealed and single ported though.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
I believe there were 8 kits that were going to have a choice of two different subwoofer brands along with a SpeakerPower amp that was programmed to get the most out of the specific cabinet and driver(s). After the kits were completed all the subwoofer drivers had internal changes done to them which likely changed their specs a bit.

So any programming that we did for the amps would probably have to be redone, or at least rechecked to be sure. Due to how much time/cost that project was and I doubt we'll have the opportunity to do that. I'd have to buy new subwoofers and pay one of the designers to come here for a week to redo everything.

post #6 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I believe there were 8 kits that were going to have a choice of two different subwoofer brands along with a SpeakerPower amp that was programmed to get the most out of the specific cabinet and driver(s). After the kits were completed all the subwoofer drivers had internal changes done to them which likely changed their specs a bit.

So any programming that we did for the amps would probably have to be redone, or at least rechecked to be sure. Due to how much time/cost that project was and I doubt we'll have the opportunity to do that. I'd have to buy new subwoofers and pay one of the designers to come here for a week to redo everything.
Well, it was a good idea. It still sounds like a worthy DIY project. I would think that the same cabinet with only a single 18" cutout and the ports married with the Dayton UM18-22 and the proper amp (and nominal placement and EQ) could have good results. Don't you think, @EricH H? If so, maybe well see options on your site for the 8 cubic foot sub cabinet and double sealed and single vented options for the baffle. A flat pack would also be okay...as well as the assembled option if you like.

I just find that tall and shallow dimensions of that 8 cubic foot cabinet very friendly to installation, especially if concealed.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Cam Man, are you seeking designs for a vented, dual 18" cabinet?
post #8 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All of the cabinets shown on the site are in stock, just no actual "kits" with the pre programmed amp or the amp cutout.

post #9 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Cam Man, are you seeking designs for a vented, dual 18" cabinet?
Hi Craig, not really. I'm actually trapped fitting in a specific niche (and it's in an acoustically optimal location). An 8 cubic foot cabinet like Eric's fits. Whether sealed dual or vented single, it fits.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is also a darned impressive new product at PE that will fit.

https://www.parts-express.com/passiv...-kit--300-7158
post #11 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Had not seen that. I wonder if it will come with weights for the PR's for tuning?
post #12 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkoff500 View Post
Had not seen that. I wonder if it will come with weights for the PR's for tuning?
Hopefully someone will take the dive and review their results.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
All of the cabinets shown on the site are in stock, just no actual "kits" with the pre programmed amp or the amp cutout.
I know this is extremely late to ask, but could this have been done with a MiniDSP/we pick our own amp?

I'm just assuming it would be expensive given the speakerpower brand name, hence why I ask.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cabinets don't have any cutouts for the plate amps so yes, any amplifier could be used with or without DSP.

post #15 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
This is also a darned impressive new product at PE that will fit.

https://www.parts-express.com/passiv...-kit--300-7158

For that same $719, I would rather buy (4) PA460s and install them in vented VBSSs. And with the leftover ~$340, buy an iNuke3k and a couple sheets of MDF and do it all myself, with tons more output.

But that's just me.....
post #16 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For that same $719, I would rather buy (4) PA460s and install them in vented VBSSs. And with the leftover ~$340, buy an iNuke3k and a couple sheets of MDF and do it all myself, with tons more output.

But that's just me.....
Not a bad path.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
According to the documents they have posted, yes, they include the weights
post #18 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

But that's just me.....
you would also have over 4 times more enclosure. that PR kit is a boutique style answer. the vbss has it's place and for those that have the space for the huge boxes in multiples it can do it's thing, but those reference drivers are very nice indeed. they have the capacity to actually dig low and not really stress when they do it. those PA drivers just aren't happy down there.
K9woofer likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaMan View Post
you would also have over 4 times more enclosure. that PR kit is a boutique style answer. the vbss has it's place and for those that have the space for the huge boxes in multiples it can do it's thing, but those reference drivers are very nice indeed. they have the capacity to actually dig low and not really stress when they do it. those PA drivers just aren't happy down there.
Yes I think the partexpress description explains it well:

"This subwoofer is not just about output, with triple shorting rings, extensive venting, and a rigid aluminum cone, the RSS460HO-4 18" driver is known for its remarkably low distortion characteristics. Also, by using dual passive radiators the low frequency extension has been extended while keeping group delay through the audible range remarkably low to deliver a quick and responsive punch you wouldn't expect from a subwoofer this size."
post #20 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:

I thought Electrodynamic mentioned that there is really no difference in terms of response between the v2 and v3 drivers? It seems crazy to abandon all you and your partners hard work when they could well work without any further modifications. I'm looking for some sp amps for sealed um18s in your 4 cuft flatpacks, if you are looking to get rid of the amps and shutdown the venture as opposed to moving forward.
chrapladm likes this.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 10757
Quote:
It does come with weights.

I modeled it in WinISD and compared to what I consider its direct competition, a MartyCube. The footprint is almost identical. If you port the Martycube @ ~25Hz, the performance is also almost identical.

Group delay is actually higher on the PR until you get below 18Hz. Not saying this matters, but it's interesting that they advertise it as having low group delay despite it having higher then ported and, of course, sealed.

After seeing this, the only benefit I see with the PR box is that it cannot chuff, although a 25Hz Martycube can have a large enough port that it shouldn't chuff, either.

Is there any other benefit I'm missing? Any difference in distortion? Phase looks similar.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #22 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I thought Electrodynamic mentioned that there is really no difference in terms of response between the v2 and v3 drivers? It seems crazy to abandon all you and your partners hard work when they could well work without any further modifications. I'm looking for some sp amps for sealed um18s in your 4 cuft flatpacks, if you are looking to get rid of the amps and shutdown the venture as opposed to moving forward.
There were other brands as well. But it's not just the woofer response used when programming those amps. My understanding is that when the specs change, the DSP has to change. So the only way to be 100% sure is to buy new subwoofers and either have the designer come here to retest, or ship everything to him, and that's too much to ship. I don't know how to do the programming/testing myself or I would.

There have been changes to woofers/tweeters on other speaker designs and they all needed to be tweaked by the designers or at least checked to be sure no changes were needed. So it's not unusual, just a bummer. At some point it may happen with the subwoofers, but not sure when. There was one prototype that I really want to get back to but I haven't had enough time.

post #23 of 23 Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Erich, have you ever considered taking two 4 cube flat packs and combining them into one 8 cube (or even 12 cube) ported cab? Just need to make the panel in the middle like a window brace with dados on both sides. That would keep all the panels small to save on shipping. Could be a modular design.
aron7awol and Craig S King like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page