*New to the forum* looking for direction - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 62 Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci View Post
okay so just seeing how strongly you feel about this makes me want to reconsider. I do really enjoy the idea of building my own set up especially if that means getting an 18" in sub that the rest of my building is sure to hate me for. So let's say I do go for the PA460 can you suggest a cabinet design?
See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html. For mainly music look at the 20 or even 31Hz tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci
And excuse me for being an absolute newbie but isn't monoprice a speaker company? I understand they make a lot of speakers so which ones would you recommend?
I wouldn't classify Monoprice as a "speaker company", more of an importer of (mostly) quality products. Speakers being one of their many offerings. I believe some of the previous posts already linked to some of their PA speakers, such as https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604470. Behringer and others offer similar speakers.
smcmillan2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 62 Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci View Post
okay so just seeing how strongly you feel about this makes me want to reconsider. I do really enjoy the idea of building my own set up especially if that means getting an 18" in sub that the rest of my building is sure to hate me for. So let's say I do go for the PA460 can you suggest a cabinet design? And excuse me for being an absolute newbie but isn't monoprice a speaker company? I understand they make a lot of speakers so which ones would you recommend?
Someone already beat me to it, but I mentioned these earlier:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604470
$100 each.

It's just really really cheap. I'd prefer Volts, but this is half the price of a Volt. If it was me, I'd build Volts, but my guess is my financial situation was probably better than the average student.

PA460 you can get a sealed 18 inch cabinet for parts express.
If you understand how to build things like cabinets, you can follow the VBSS build. I can't build anything like that, I tried, I'm pathetically bad at it. I used a DIY assembled cabinet from parts express.

This should work?
https://www.parts-express.com/denovo...seri--300-7079

Wow that's an expensive cabinet....
Ask how this compares:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-7093

Since it comes out to the same price. You may just prefer/need the 15 inch woofer size.

Edit: Monoprice sells everything. They find an efficient design, and then source that design at the cheapest price possible to get below competition. It's usually a very very good source to get a no brand name no nonsense product.
tential is offline  
post #33 of 62 Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,591
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2258 Post(s)
Liked: 9472
Great suggestions in this thread. For the combined cost, I don't think a pair of Volt-10s and a PA460 in a VBSS can be beaten for music.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 62 Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I must say, after audyssey tames them, the monoprice Stage Right PA 15 puts out a really nice sound. And they get really loud

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is online now  
post #35 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci View Post
Thats pretty much the end goal, but I have had tential keep mentioning how much better building this bass is and to be honest i really really do enjoy a nice bass
I am not going to say the Volts are a bad option I have the Volt 6's at one point I was using them as mains at the time I had a new pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers RP-160M that over 100.00 more then the Volt6 putting them side by side the Volts blew them away. Its your money you spend it how you see fit. A dedicated sub will make a dramatic difference I have 4 18's and 4 12's and that is nothing compared to some. If you want to stick to your budget you will have to make some compromises and by reading reviews on AVS will help. If you are looking at this long term as in once your out on your own by all means spend the extra money. You have to decide what direction you want to go in. I can tell you I have made plenty of mistakes along the way to get where I am now like I wrote I get the party part I have been there but if you only have " X " amount then you have to decide long or short term. Any of the choices that have been given are good choices this hobby can get expensive quick. I know this may be frowned upon as this is DIY but and no one will like this but if you were to get 2 of the pa speakers mentioned ( Monoprice Behringer etc. ) and bought a used powered sub it is not going to be as good a building one yourself but if you look hard enough it will not break your budget either. I helped my daughter put together a cheap system 4 POLK Audio RT series speakers 50 a pair Denon AVR 1713 75.00 Dayton Audio SUB-1200 150.00 for under 500 she has a killer system. Just trying to help good luck.
johnson636 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #36 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I echo the sentiments of @Cichlid109 . If you want to build the volt 10s, then by all means, build them. Be sure to start a build thread and post pictures But if you're in a situation similar to me where money is spread out into multiple projects, you need speakers, want Titans 615LX but can't afford it right now, then those PA speakers mentioned are one helluva stop gap
Cichlid109 likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is online now  
post #37 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Craig S King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 498
If you pick up the LS-12s, will you still have money leftover to buy a stand alone subwoofer and build a cabinet for it? You can do a VBSS for ~$130, and go with the @LTD02 31hz tuned design for music. I'm very happy with the pair I have.
Craig S King is offline  
post #38 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
The ported Volt-10 with flat pack is the best high volume, quality audio option in that general price range. I never doubted that. I only doubted the commitment of a college student to spend more money for loud party speakers. If willing to spend a little more than $350 for much improved sound quality then buying and building a pair of ported Volt-10s only makes sense with the understanding that they may not have adequate bass as party thumpers without adding a serious subwoofer.

Before getting started down any path do the math on total cost. A pair of Volt-10s with a receiver/amp to drive them and a punchy sub with a separate amp to drive it is going to add up to considerably more than $350. You are standing at the precipice of a monetary rabbit hole surrounded by audio enthusiasts yelling "jump." Don't make a move until the bottom line cost of each option is fully disclosed. Be reasonable and realistic. Even with DIY great high volume sound with powerful bass doesn't come cheap for the typical budget of a college student.
johnson636, Cichlid109 and Ortizer like this.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #39 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Ugh such a long post, and forum makes me lose it. They need to fix this!

What about these if you really need to cut costs?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Powered pair for $140.
Just need a subwoofer I imagine?
Does a Powered DJ subwoofer work or does it not go low enough for HT use?
tential is offline  
post #40 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Consider the following post from another thread entitled "Used my ported Volt 10’s to DJ a party today." Note that the room was much larger than 800 square feet. Pay special attention to the last two sentences that I have boldfaced. From this actual experience it seems the ported Volt-10s would be great as loud but clean party speakers without a subwoofer if you're willing to settle for reasonably balanced bass rather than gut-wrenching bass. Subtracting the cost of a subwoofer makes the ported Volt-10s cost effective and not too far off the desired $350 budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
We rented a local rec center today for my daughter’s birthday party. The main room was pretty large, maybe 35x45 with 20ft ceilings. There was another connected room about 25x35.

I used my recently built Volt 10’s and 2 JTR Growlers I have in my garage. I used my MacBook Pro connected to a Denon 4520 which drove the Volts. The Denon sent separate sub outs to an iNuke 6000 which drove the 2 growlers. I knew the growlers would pressurize the room no problem, and it did. They were raising the ceiling tiles and made the building walls feel unstable. There was serious chest hit when I was setting it up and playing at levels I was not going to use at the party.

As impresssive as the growlers were, I knew how capable they were. What really surprised me is how clean and clear the Volts were. They sounded amazing. I will say that they sounded better than any speaker I have ever heard a DJ use at a party/wedding/event. Many parents complimented the sound. I ran one Audyssey position to calibrate the speakers and then added about 6db bass boost. For the most part I played everything around -7 on the volume.

I was originally going to use 2 JTR 212HtR’s for the L/R but decided to use the Volts instead as I was already transporting the Growlers and the 212’s are a good bit heavier and I knew I wouldn’t need their output. It would have been fun to here them in a much larger room though. At one point when I was setting up I played the Volts full range and they had a surprising amount of bass. I could probably have gotten away using them with no sub.
LINK: avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2971294-used-my-ported-volt-10a-s-dj-party-today.html
Dave in Green is online now  
post #41 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,591
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2258 Post(s)
Liked: 9472
I feel the same way about my pair of Volt-10s. They can hold their own full-range for music, and with a sub they are shockingly great.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #42 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I agree the Volts are amazing I have the 6's they are no joke. My only point the OP said 350 not 400 he said it was for playing music at parties. There is no doubt that the Volt 10 will perform but this is a college setting not at home odds are they will be moved around not like at home where once we set them up they stay there. I was young a few years back why spend all of his budget if he does not need to. The reviews on some of the PA speakers was pretty amazing some were so impressed they were using them as their entire home theater set up only thing added was the subs. I just think if it were me and I was in my 20's if 350 is all I have to spend there is no point in looking if it costs more. All the ideas are fine I just think he was specific with his budget and I think it would be better to stay within the budget then go in a direction where the funds may not be available. Its real easy to spend someone else's money its harder to spend your own.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #43 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,476
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Consider the following post from another thread entitled "Used my ported Volt 10’s to DJ a party today." Note that the room was much larger than 800 square feet. Pay special attention to the last two sentences that I have boldfaced. From this actual experience it seems the ported Volt-10s would be great as loud but clean party speakers without a subwoofer if you're willing to settle for reasonably balanced bass rather than gut-wrenching bass. Subtracting the cost of a subwoofer makes the ported Volt-10s cost effective and not too far off the desired $350 budget.



LINK: avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2971294-used-my-ported-volt-10a-s-dj-party-today.html
This was me.

I have since used the Volt 10’s without a sub in my 700sq foot basement. They rock with a bit of a bass boost from the receiver, definitely have a nice chest thump. They could be a party speaker easily.
Dave in Green likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #44 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,591
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2258 Post(s)
Liked: 9472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
I agree the Volts are amazing I have the 6's they are no joke. My only point the OP said 350 not 400 he said it was for playing music at parties. There is no doubt that the Volt 10 will perform but this is a college setting not at home odds are they will be moved around not like at home where once we set them up they stay there. I was young a few years back why spend all of his budget if he does not need to. The reviews on some of the PA speakers was pretty amazing some were so impressed they were using them as their entire home theater set up only thing added was the subs. I just think if it were me and I was in my 20's if 350 is all I have to spend there is no point in looking if it costs more. All the ideas are fine I just think he was specific with his budget and I think it would be better to stay within the budget then go in a direction where the funds may not be available. Its real easy to spend someone else's money its harder to spend your own.
I get that he has a budget, but we're all just trying to give him the best advice we can.

In his original post (importantly, on the DIY Speakers and Subs forum), the following things he said stick out to me:
"have a desire to build an in-home speaker set up."
"I want to be able to build something worthwhile, just for as little as I can."
"I have a good background in woodworking and circuitry"
"hoping to spend less than $350 on the speakers themselves."

That doesn't seem like a hard budget to me. I hoped to spend much less on my setup, every step of the way, but I prioritized building something worthwhile, like him, and stretching the budget a reasonable amount is worth it.

Did OP say they would be moved around or at risk of being damaged frequently? I know you're trying to give him good advice too, but I'm not sure those assumptions should be made. He could put grills on them, or build handles into them, if necessary. That's the beauty of DIY. If he is willing to stretch his budget to the Volt-10s, I think it's well worth it, and I think any potential issues with the setting they will be in can be dealt with easily enough.

I know you said you have Volt-6s, as do I, but if you haven't heard the Volt-10s yet, forget what you know about the Volt-6s. The 10s are in another world. I am blown away by their performance. If he builds a pair and can protect them, he can, and will almost certainly want to, keep them for as long as possible. They are truly impressive.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #45 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I feel the same way about my pair of Volt-10s. They can hold their own full-range for music, and with a sub they are shockingly great.
I use my B&W currently relatively full range. It has a cut off at about 50 hz or so on the amp. So if you can get further extension on the Volts, even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I get that he has a budget, but we're all just trying to give him the best advice we can.

In his original post (importantly, on the DIY Speakers and Subs forum), the following things he said stick out to me:
"have a desire to build an in-home speaker set up."
"I want to be able to build something worthwhile, just for as little as I can."
"I have a good background in woodworking and circuitry"
"hoping to spend less than $350 on the speakers themselves."

That doesn't seem like a hard budget to me. I hoped to spend much less on my setup, every step of the way, but I prioritized building something worthwhile, like him, and stretching the budget a reasonable amount is worth it.

Did OP say they would be moved around or at risk of being damaged frequently? I know you're trying to give him good advice too, but I'm not sure those assumptions should be made. He could put grills on them, or build handles into them, if necessary. That's the beauty of DIY. If he is willing to stretch his budget to the Volt-10s, I think it's well worth it, and I think any potential issues with the setting they will be in can be dealt with easily enough.

I know you said you have Volt-6s, as do I, but if you haven't heard the Volt-10s yet, forget what you know about the Volt-6s. The 10s are in another world. I am blown away by their performance. If he builds a pair and can protect them, he can, and will almost certainly want to, keep them for as long as possible. They are truly impressive.
Yup, this is how I feel. Give him all the info. I'm not going to assume he's a broke college student. College students come from all backgrounds.

Just given how easy it is to just throw another can of paint on to it (I wouldn't even finish it if I was in school, I'd leave them not painted until afterwards just in case. I don't have any watermarks on my polks from throwing parties, and as I explained, I'm on the high end of partying in school, being in a fraternity, on a social committee designed for doing just that. Just depends on what he thinks he can manage. With grills on them though, I don't see how I could damage my Polk Towers beyond sound input. I don't think spilling anything on them would have damaged them if I wiped them off.

My Ultimax 15 subwoofer came in way over budget. Worth every single penny.

I'd still use some type of low pass filter on the Volts though running them full range. Since I bought an XLS 1500 in school, I'd set a low pass on it. (Is low pass right? Now I'm blanking )
tential is offline  
post #46 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 650
The moment someone opens the door to stretching their original budget around here, they're done

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is online now  
post #47 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
To be specific, a pair of ported Volt-10s with flat packs has a list price total of $407.60 or $57.60 over the $350 the OP hoped to spend. In this forum that's peanuts for going over budget. The cheaper pro speakers all lack the bottom end of the ported Volt-10 and would require additional budget for a powered subwoofer or separate sub and amp to match the chest thump @raynist says he gets.

So the challenge for anyone suggesting cheap pro speakers with sub is to undercut $407.60 for the Volt-10s without sacrificing too much sound quality. Then the OP can compare prices and decide which way he wants to go.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #48 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I get that he has a budget, but we're all just trying to give him the best advice we can.

In his original post (importantly, on the DIY Speakers and Subs forum), the following things he said stick out to me:
"have a desire to build an in-home speaker set up."
"I want to be able to build something worthwhile, just for as little as I can."
"I have a good background in woodworking and circuitry"
"hoping to spend less than $350 on the speakers themselves."

That doesn't seem like a hard budget to me. I hoped to spend much less on my setup, every step of the way, but I prioritized building something worthwhile, like him, and stretching the budget a reasonable amount is worth it.

Did OP say they would be moved around or at risk of being damaged frequently? I know you're trying to give him good advice too, but I'm not sure those assumptions should be made. He could put grills on them, or build handles into them, if necessary. That's the beauty of DIY. If he is willing to stretch his budget to the Volt-10s, I think it's well worth it, and I think any potential issues with the setting they will be in can be dealt with easily enough.

I know you said you have Volt-6s, as do I, but if you haven't heard the Volt-10s yet, forget what you know about the Volt-6s. The 10s are in another world. I am blown away by their performance. If he builds a pair and can protect them, he can, and will almost certainly want to, keep them for as long as possible. They are truly impressive.
Personally I really do not care what he gets or spends it's his money. Never did say anything bad about the 10's if they are anything like the 6's they ought to sound great. My only thought and it seems to happen a lot someone says they have x amount more often then not the suggestions go above and beyond. He wanted to play music and he likes bass well who doesn't?? Going by his budget 350 he buys the 10's thats 400 give or take possibly more depending on how he finishes them. Lets say for the sake of argument the bass is not what he expects then what now he is in it for a few hundred more depending on what he does for a build and the amp he gets. By all means the 10's are great option but there is the what if no one but the OP will know if he decides to go that route. My way whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees I just do not care but for 350 if he does it right he can get 2 decent speakers and a powered sub that for a novice will sound fine. We all have our own opinions never said yours was bad and please I am not going to stir things up either we can agree to disagree bottom line its his money his choice agreed??
Since this seems to be going south I am out just voiced my opinion no more no less so go ahead lets start with the 10's add a couple of HST18's in a Sealed Cabinet then go for a speakerpower amp along with a minidsp make sure the OP has REW a UMIK1 mic learns how to do sweeps for few thousand he can get lots of bass at deafening levels. Just kidding have fun.
johnson636 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K

Last edited by Cichlid109; 07-20-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #49 of 62 Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 275
My school's woodworking/architect kids had free access to scrap MDF I believe. So might want to ask your friends about that as well.
tential is offline  
post #50 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, so after looking over everything you guys had to say I have decided that the volt 10's are simply just a bit too far out of my price range and am siding towards the stage right monoprice 500 watt 15" passive PA speakers. To pair with them I am going to go ahead and also get the Dayton audio PA460-8 18" Pro Subwoofer. At the end of the day, the PA speakers have no build cost or complications. I would have loved to really dive head first and get the volt 10's but right now just isn't the right time for me. Will I most likely regret it? Who knows, I doubt I will be disappointed with the PA speakers though (at least for the time being).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...#lblProductQ&A
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gLink2-2917105

With that being said, both are rated at 500w with 1000w caps and I know people have previously said I am going to do fine with a 100w amp, I just want to reaffirm that that is still the case. Since I am saving a bit on the speakers I don't mind spending a bit more on an amp so always open to suggestions!

Wondering if something like this would suffice?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS2...SAAEgILtvD_BwE

Also part of my decision making is I haven't actually ever built a speaker before. All the wiring and audio work I have previously done has been on cars and I am still questioning how the circuitry as well as all the other components that I will have to get to make it function. (could use some help on wire assembly, like gage of wire how I should connect it ect.)

I am planning on building the VBSS ported cab and most likely going to cover it with some sort of grill just to be safe. I know I need the port tubes but a full list of materials outside of wood would help.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

So far to everyone whos help and read this far, Y'all have been a great help in my decision making and I really appreciate the feedback. Not going to lie I am getting all too excited to finally start making some purchases!

Again thanks.
Andrew Iannucci is offline  
post #51 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci View Post
Okay, so after looking over everything you guys had to say I have decided that the volt 10's are simply just a bit too far out of my price range and am siding towards the stage right monoprice 500 watt 15" passive PA speakers. To pair with them I am going to go ahead and also get the Dayton audio PA460-8 18" Pro Subwoofer. At the end of the day, the PA speakers have no build cost or complications. I would have loved to really dive head first and get the volt 10's but right now just isn't the right time for me. Will I most likely regret it? Who knows, I doubt I will be disappointed with the PA speakers though (at least for the time being).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...#lblProductQ&A
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gLink2-2917105

With that being said, both are rated at 500w with 1000w caps and I know people have previously said I am going to do fine with a 100w amp, I just want to reaffirm that that is still the case. Since I am saving a bit on the speakers I don't mind spending a bit more on an amp so always open to suggestions!

Wondering if something like this would suffice?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS2...SAAEgILtvD_BwE

Also part of my decision making is I haven't actually ever built a speaker before. All the wiring and audio work I have previously done has been on cars and I am still questioning how the circuitry as well as all the other components that I will have to get to make it function. (could use some help on wire assembly, like gage of wire how I should connect it ect.)

I am planning on building the VBSS ported cab and most likely going to cover it with some sort of grill just to be safe. I know I need the port tubes but a full list of materials outside of wood would help.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

So far to everyone whos help and read this far, Y'all have been a great help in my decision making and I really appreciate the feedback. Not going to lie I am getting all too excited to finally start making some purchases!

Again thanks.
Great choices my only suggestion would be a different rcvr. There is nothing wrong with the Yamaha except it does not allow you to add a subwoofer and no room correction like Audyessy. I bought my daughter a Denon AVR 1713 for 75.00 including shipping. It has the option to add a subwoofer its a 7 channel rcvr it has a lot more features that you may not need but if later on down the road you decide to add to you stereo you have the option. If you look on E-Bay under HomeTheater Receivers and look ( I just did ) for under a 100 you can find an older but much better unit then the one from Crutchfield just make sure you read the description if there is a problem E-Bay is pretty good with refunding your money. Also sometimes you will find a really good deal with free shipping and it will come with the original remote and manual. I mention Denon but Yamaha Marantz Onkyo etc all are decent. Hope this helps.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #52 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
Great choices my only suggestion would be a different rcvr. There is nothing wrong with the Yamaha except it does not allow you to add a subwoofer and no room correction like Audyessy. I bought my daughter a Denon AVR 1713 for 75.00 including shipping. It has the option to add a subwoofer its a 7 channel rcvr it has a lot more features that you may not need but if later on down the road you decide to add to you stereo you have the option. If you look on E-Bay under HomeTheater Receivers and look ( I just did ) for under a 100 you can find an older but much better unit then the one from Crutchfield just make sure you read the description if there is a problem E-Bay is pretty good with refunding your money. Also sometimes you will find a really good deal with free shipping and it will come with the original remote and manual. I mention Denon but Yamaha Marantz Onkyo etc all are decent. Hope this helps.
I just realized you misunderstood what you need for an amp. A rcvr provides the power to drive your speakers however you going to need a separate amp to drive the sub.

This is from the Sweetwater web site:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c455--Pow...hyaW5nZXIiXX19

You do not need nothing exotic the Behringer that is listed for 149.00 will work fine if you look on E-Bay you can find some of the NUseries like the nu1000 for approx. the same price.
This sounds confusing so first you have your rcvr. using the power of the rcvr it will drive the 2 monoprice speakers great in order to power the sub you need a separate amplifier that is also why I suggested getting a rcvr that has a sub out then by using the right cable you go from sub out of the rcvr to the amp out from the amp to drive the sub. Okay I know you might be lost fire away with questions this is the right way to make it all work

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #53 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
holl_ands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 489
IF you already have some "decent" L/R Speakers (and an AVR or AMP with Low-Level S-W Output), then you might want to consider FIRST putting $$$'s towards a "12-in Powered Sub-Woofer", such as either of fol. from Monoprice [less expensive than DIY incl. S-W Amp]....and if new L/R still needed, check out used Speakers [don't NEED Big, Expensive Speakers if you have a S-W]....or perhaps save up for L/R Speaker Upgrade at a later date:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rice+subwoofer

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.
holl_ands is offline  
post #54 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
OP, just build the design that LTD02 posted half way down this page for the PA460
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...thread-27.html
I built one very similar and use it in my truck. It HAMMERS on 300 watts.
You don’t need anything except a sheet of 3/4” MDF, some wood glue, a terminal cup ( or posts ) and about 2 feet of speaker wire.
Simple as cake
Andrew Iannucci likes this.
tk123 is online now  
post #55 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Iannucci View Post
Okay, so after looking over everything you guys had to say I have decided that the volt 10's are simply just a bit too far out of my price range and am siding towards the stage right monoprice 500 watt 15" passive PA speakers. To pair with them I am going to go ahead and also get the Dayton audio PA460-8 18" Pro Subwoofer. At the end of the day, the PA speakers have no build cost or complications. I would have loved to really dive head first and get the volt 10's but right now just isn't the right time for me. Will I most likely regret it? Who knows, I doubt I will be disappointed with the PA speakers though (at least for the time being).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...#lblProductQ&A
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gLink2-2917105

With that being said, both are rated at 500w with 1000w caps and I know people have previously said I am going to do fine with a 100w amp, I just want to reaffirm that that is still the case. Since I am saving a bit on the speakers I don't mind spending a bit more on an amp so always open to suggestions!

Wondering if something like this would suffice?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS2...SAAEgILtvD_BwE

Also part of my decision making is I haven't actually ever built a speaker before. All the wiring and audio work I have previously done has been on cars and I am still questioning how the circuitry as well as all the other components that I will have to get to make it function. (could use some help on wire assembly, like gage of wire how I should connect it ect.)

I am planning on building the VBSS ported cab and most likely going to cover it with some sort of grill just to be safe. I know I need the port tubes but a full list of materials outside of wood would help.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

So far to everyone whos help and read this far, Y'all have been a great help in my decision making and I really appreciate the feedback. Not going to lie I am getting all too excited to finally start making some purchases!

Again thanks.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no preouts on that amplifier for a subwoofer.
So you'd need this:
https://www.parts-express.com/pionee...annel--250-694

You may still want to look at that other kit I suggested with the 2x monoprice speakers for ~$140 if price/budget is a concern. That would leave you more money for the subwoofer amplifier/other things. I'm not sure how that kit integrates a sub, but I'm assuming it allows for it.

The VBSS ported subwoofer build is louder, but needs a DSP if I'm not mistaken?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ifier-with-dsp

However, if you just build a sealed box for the PA460, you could use a cheaper NU1000 DSP and save another $50 at the expense of SPL.

So that's another option to save money.

I'd suggest a DJ subwoofer, but I think a sealed PA460 for $250 (including amplifier for $150) is about the same price as the cheapest DJ subwoofer, and probably better quality.
tential is offline  
post #56 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Ported for the PA460/VBSS will give more output at tuning than sealed using the same amp ( INuke 1000DSP or whatever ). Since the OP is using this for music at high volume, ported is the way to go. IMHO
tk123 is online now  
post #57 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

However, if you just build a sealed box for the PA460, you could use a cheaper NU1000 DSP and save another $50 at the expense of SPL.
.
would the "Behringer NU1000 iNUKE DJ/Club 1000W Class-D lightweight Power Amplifier Amp 2U" be okay or should I get the "Behringer NU1000DSP iNUKE 1000W Class-D lightweight Power Amplifier Amp 2U w/DSP"
Andrew Iannucci is offline  
post #58 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Get the dsp version and build a VBSS

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is online now  
post #59 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Get the dsp version and build a VBSS
Yep. What he said ^^
tk123 is online now  
post #60 of 62 Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Of course, with the INuke 1000DSP and PA460/VBSS, your budget is pretty much gone. You’d still need speakers and a source unit.
Wow!! This is a really tight budget to do what you’re wanting unless you go with used equipment for some of it at least.
tk123 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off