Assistance with my Titan 615LX -- Lackluster performance - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 66 Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
The Paradigms have a 44 hz -2 dB at 88 dB sensitivity, the Titans have a 35hz -3 dB 97-98 dB sensitivity. The paradigms need 210 watts to reach its max and at that level the Titans need 20 watts.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Nothing right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM

So, again the Titan needs much less power(20 watts which any receiver can do) to reach even the maximum output of the Paradigms, something is off.

Nothing right now
post #33 of 66 Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Play just one speaker to see if there is a polarity issue between the two of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 902
That crossover is not a simple one. And making your own pcb may have just made it even trickier.

If all else fails you could simply purchase the boards from mtg and resolder the xos.
18Hurts, mikeTRON250LM and Jk7.2 like this.
post #35 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Here's another REW run.. I elevated the mic closer to ear level..

Did L & R, then L and R seperately..

I'll get an x-over pulled out soon and take a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Both.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2431112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2431114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	2431116  
post #36 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I may be wrong, but it looks like you have something going on between 40Hz-50Hz

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #37 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the x-over pics.. It's just like the reference board pics I've seen, except I modified the input positive wiring area. Since there was extra board space I just brought it down to the south side of the board with the rest of the wires to make it easier to route wiring overall, the reference board has it up on the north side of the board.

I decided I wasn't going to drop the $$ for proper board etching chemicals, so I just used a good ole dremel to sand away the copper. I checked them with a meter to validate that there wasn't any leakage between the etched areas. So I believe the boards are good.

Just a FYI, on the front side, the two wires on the bottom / center are for input and the woofer.. The right pair of wires of these two is for the woofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180721_131029 (1).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	2431146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180721_131004.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	2431148  
post #38 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

So honestly after moving them around in the room, I think I'm just running into annoying room mode issues.. Now that I moved them to a different location in the dedicated media room area (not finished out), they seem to be performing better. Then couple that with these babies need more power than what the AVR can feed it and that's my root cause. When I tested compared to the Paradigms, they were against the wall where-as the Titans were in front of the paradigms. So I guess just attribute the difference in volume to location too.

On a sad note, to try and get the Titans more power, I tried to hook my old Krell amp up to test.. But sadly it won't turn on after being a box for the last year. I just get the standby light and nothing more So the only thing I have with more power is my iNuke 6K DSP, and that's a big headache to move from the other room. I'm thinking to go with an Emotiva xpa-3 to power these going forward.
post #39 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I'm thinking to go with an Emotiva xpa-3 to power these going forward.
If you're indeed in a null, then an amp won't help. At least it won't help with the null.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #40 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
If you're indeed in a null, then an amp won't help. At least it won't help with the null.
Agreed.. I really meant that's what I'll be using long term, along with getting room treatments for the nulls..
post #41 of 66 Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So does the tweeter and mid knock your socks off?

post #42 of 66 Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Id love to hear more specifically about sound quality comparisons, as the Paradigm Studios are established speakers and a lot of us have listened to them or owned them before.
post #43 of 66 Old 07-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I know how this may sound, but did you check the input impedance at the crossover inputs? Is it correct? What is the impedance of the paradigms? That may explain why you have to turn the AVR up higher with the Titans.
post #44 of 66 Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Id love to hear more specifically about sound quality comparisons, as the Paradigm Studios are established speakers and a lot of us have listened to them or owned them before.
+1

Once everything on the crossover front gets figured out

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #45 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Here's another REW run.. I elevated the mic closer to ear level..

Did L & R, then L and R seperately..

I'll get an x-over pulled out soon and take a pic.
Describe the room shape and dimensions again, please. Forgive if I've missed that.

Two things:

Tell us how you mic'd this. One mic location? Where is that location in the room?

Disconnect the Titans from the amp and measure the resistance across the speaker terminals. Let us know what you get.

Last edited by Cam Man; 07-24-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #46 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
Describe the room shape and dimensions again, please. Forgive if I've missed that.

Two things:

Tell us how you mic'd this. One mic location? Where is that location in the room?

Disconnect the Titans from the amp and measure the resistance across the speaker terminals. Let us know what you get.

Room is 16ft Wide, 18ft long, x 10ft high.. Mic is located maybe 2/3 way back, basically where you would put a couch. it's at ear level too..

I measure the resistance and 2 of them are pretty much at 5.9ohms. Then the other is at 5.5ohms. I'm not sure what the variance of specs is on these components, but in general that's pretty close I'd think.
post #47 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Room is 16ft Wide, 18ft long, x 10ft high.. Mic is located maybe 2/3 way back, basically where you would put a couch. it's at ear level too..

I measure the resistance and 2 of them are pretty much at 5.9ohms. Then the other is at 5.5ohms. I'm not sure what the variance of specs is on these components, but in general that's pretty close I'd think.
Around 6 ohms seems reasonable.

That room is mighty close to a square. Where are your Titans for the measurements? In "typical" L/R main LCR locations? I'm trying to run a mode model of your room to see what I can find.

Try this so that we have a real picture of the LF acoustic response. Use multiple mic locations, patterned out like for MEQ...MLP, then a scattering of them at 2' to 3' max from the MLP apart...spatial average, then show us what you get with that. You can never rely on one mic position for accurate small room acoustic LF measurements.

Last edited by Cam Man; 07-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #48 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Around 6 ohms seems reasonable.

That room is mighty close to a square. Where are your Titans for the measurements? In "typical" L/R main LCR locations? I'm trying to run a mode model of your room to see what I can find.

Try this so that we have a real picture of the LF acoustic response. Use multiple mic locations, patterned out like for MEQ...MLP, then a scattering of them at 2' to 3' max from the MLP apart...spatial average, then show us what you get with that. You can never rely on one mic position for accurate small room acoustic measurements.

Right now I put them in the corners close to the wall.. I just haven't had time to move them around yet, and I have two big marty's in the way so it's not 'easy' to just move them around. That's something on my to-do list, as well as hauling the Paradigms in there to tinker. Where they will be is up for grabs, just built the house a few years ago and this is my next thing to do, so right now its really just a bare room.

Glad, that 6ohm is OK.. What's interesting is that I re-tested them and got 8-9 on the next-go around.. Then I'd test again and get 6ish.. Very odd, so who knows how accurate this meter is anymore.. It's a Klein MN1000 meter.

Edit:
To add, when I originally had these and posted this thread.. the speakers were about 1.5ft out from the wall on each side, and sitting in front of the marty's. Having them where they are now definitely improved things.

Last edited by buckweet; 07-24-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #49 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@buckweet , since you seem to have two problems in the room (poor output overall, and poor LF) it is difficult for us to troubleshoot.

In the mean time, you and everyone who is trying to run full range speakers in small rooms need to read/study this. https://homeacoustics.org/hello-world/

You have to look at the Titans or any full range LCR as a subwoofer for any frequency below 100Hz or so in small rooms. Those physics cannot be denied. Not every position of the speaker/subwoofer will be acoustically friendly in LF response to popular seating locations in small rooms. The LCRs have to go where the screen dictates, not where LF acoustic response dictates, therefore the concept of bass management is not just chatter. It permits proper performance in that acoustic environment of all these speakers. The above article helps with some proven methods of subwoofer placement (meaning any speaker putting out subwoofer frequencies). It is based on the science.

AVS is full of folks who say "Do what sounds good to you," implying that is "correct." The S in AVS stands for something. There is a science to the issues of LF acoustic response in small rooms. The physics don't lie or deceive and they are not subjective. The good news is that we can use that science and creative techniques to our advantage in achieving the results we are after.

Chin up. Keep calm and carry on.
RobertChicken likes this.
post #50 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@buckweet , here's the next page in that discussion. It regards how LCR placement affects the experience in the listening area. I was just having a discussion on this with a colleague the other day...and here's a graphic depiction of just that. Useful stuff.

https://homeacoustics.org/positionin...formance-room/
asarose247 likes this.
post #51 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@buckweet , since you seem to have two problems in the room (poor output overall, and poor LF) it is difficult for us to troubleshoot.

In the mean time, you and everyone who is trying to run full range speakers in small rooms need to read/study this. https://homeacoustics.org/hello-world/

You have to look at the Titans or any full range LCR as a subwoofer for any frequency below 100Hz or so in small rooms. Those physics cannot be denied. Not every position of the speaker/subwoofer will be acoustically friendly in LF response to popular seating locations in small rooms. The LCRs have to go where the screen dictates, not where LF acoustic response dictates, therefore the concept of bass management is not just chatter. It permits proper performance in that acoustic environment of all these speakers. The above article helps with some proven methods of subwoofer placement (meaning any speaker putting out subwoofer frequencies). It is based on the science.

AVS is full of folks who say "Do what sounds good to you," implying that is "correct." The S in AVS stands for something. There is a science to the issues of LF acoustic response in small rooms. The physics don't lie or deceive and they are not subjective. The good news is that we can use that science and creative techniques to our advantage in achieving the results we are after.

Chin up. Keep calm and carry on.
Appreciate the assistance..

I know this room has issues, lots of it, lol.. Hopefully soon I'm going to work with a home theatre company to come in and do the work for me.. I could do it, I just have no motivation or time to take on this heavy construction task. Anyone know if there been any posts on good interviewing questions to weed out the inexperienced companies in regards to room modes and other sound related issues?
post #52 of 66 Old 07-24-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate the assistance..

I know this room has issues, lots of it, lol.. Hopefully soon I'm going to work with a home theatre company to come in and do the work for me.. I could do it, I just have no motivation or time to take on this heavy construction task. Anyone know if there been any posts on good interviewing questions to weed out the inexperienced companies in regards to room modes and other sound related issues?
I plugged in a random Fort Worth zip code to get started here. I'd start here. https://www.thx.com/installer-finder...mile&submit=Go Level 2 is the highest level of training certification. That is what I am (since 2002). Look through this list in your area for THX/HAA Level 2 guys.
buckweet likes this.
post #53 of 66 Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You might try a simple polarity test using a AAA of AA battery. Momentarily connect the battery to your speaker terminals making sure the positive/negative ends of battery correspond to the positive/negative post of your speakers. Observe the movement of the woofers to ensure they all move in an outward direction. A simple wiring mistake could cause a polarity mismatch where the drivers within the speaker are opposing each other, or the left speaker is opposing the right. Either situation can cause the dismal bass response you describe. Obviously this test has limited use in the upper frequencies depending on the type of tweeters used.
post #54 of 66 Old 07-27-2018, 07:46 AM

Is anyone still concerned about the highs and mids not being louder as well? We seem to be focused on the bass only. The response looks good except for that dip which can definitely be a room or location problem. So if the response is good is should be needing much less power than the paradigms to play the same loudness, was this corrected? Did DIYSG ever get the crossover picture to make sure everything was ok?

Nothing right now
post #55 of 66 Old 07-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I'm concerned about cold solder joints in the crossovers. This is based on the appearance in the photos, the inconsistent speaker impedance from one measurement to the next and the poor sensitivity of the mid and CD. Without a schematic, I can't check the X-Over design for conformity with the original.

Mike
post #56 of 66 Old 07-31-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
I'm concerned about cold solder joints in the crossovers. This is based on the appearance in the photos, the inconsistent speaker impedance from one measurement to the next and the poor sensitivity of the mid and CD. Without a schematic, I can't check the X-Over design for conformity with the original.

Mike
The X-Over design is a copy of the reference board pictures I've found.. I made one slight modification to the input + location on the board, else it's exactly the same.

As for the x-over's measuring differently, there has to be some variance acceptable on these components.. So is .4 ohm really outside of that variance?

I'm going to move the paradigms into the media room (where the titans are) today/tomorrow and see what I get.
post #57 of 66 Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 4219
When you measure speakers, it has to be one at a time.

Generally I measure each driver element individually both nearfield and at LP. This way you can see each elements contribution and what the room is doing to it.

Only then do I do LR pairs or all-together sweeps. (Which is less important.)

In a fully active system like mine every element must be delay and level matched etc etc.
post #58 of 66 Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Update...

I moved my Paradigms into the media room to get a true A to B comparison. And well, it's room acoustics that are killing me here. I knew this room was bad, but wow.

When I had the Titans in the living room, they were sitting in front of the paradigms. Since the paradigms are tall and skinny I could get them in between the fireplace and the entertainment center cabinet. Which is literally maybe 10 to 12"of space.. Then on the other side of the cabinet is the doorway to the bedrooms which has about the same space between them, just big enough to put this skinny tower there. However, since these were up against the wall the Paradigms sound really good there. The Titans had no umph there, no bass response at all and weren't as loud overall as the paradigms. I'm sure if I could get them closer to the wall it would resolve the concerns in the living room..

But we're here to talk about the real living spaces for the Titans, which is the media room.

So to put a big concern away was the sensitivity. Just listening A to B, it's a huge difference. For fact points here, I used REW to generate pink noise. I tested around 70db with the Paradigms, then the Titans were around 76db. So yes, they are way more sensitive.

For just raw perception to sound quality, it's now a no contest. Listening to music like George Strait, I feel like I'm at a concert with him on the Titans.. Like he's almost singing in front of me. On the paradigms, I can definitely tell the voice is coming from each speaker. Is this the waveguide magic?? In this room, the paradigms offer no low end grunt. The 15" woofers are definitely there helping that.

Gotta get back to work, I will do some measurements later today before I have to move the Paradigms back to the living room. Thanks to everyone's input.. I'm just glad we have an answer. I wish it wasn't acoustics, as that'll cost way more $$ to fix.. LOL
dtsdig and bochoss like this.
post #59 of 66 Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Thanks for the followup impressions
post #60 of 66 Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Yes thats the waveguide, theyve messed with my head a time or two, forget its in stereo mode and I cant tell the center channel is off. That only works in one listening position though lol, fun to mess with though.

Its easier to just flat out accoustic treat with panels, but I dont think that fixes nulls. It may change how sound moves through the room though, and how "harsh" a speaker can sound due to reflections....but ive never heard of it fixing issues with bass.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page