34Likes

post #1 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 91
DIY Subs with CNC flat packs

Hi,

Just wondering I been trying to find all the different DIY Sub option with Flat Pack a la DIYSG style but so far I only found the Part Express ones
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/sp...%5D&PortalID=1

Are there other companies that have them like that?
Any soldering required or what component are required?

I like the diysg page as it lay pretty much everything out for you but no Subs.

I would like something with similar performance to the 15'' or 18'' Internet Direct subs but it seem they wont be 1/3 the saving about 1/2 $$ I'm I right?

Is there something out there DIY that compete with the HSU, PSA, Ryt etc in the 15'' 18'' range?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
FYI Parts Express flatpacks are the same as the DIYSoundGroup. Denovo Audio IS DIYSoundGroup

Parts Express just offers them as a kit (sub + flatpack).

The items YOU NEED to provide are just the connections to the sub (binding post/speakon/quick disconnects depending on what you use), polyfill/denim if you want to stuff a sealed box, and then the amp to connect things to (if not included in the parts express kit).

That and if you want a Grill Parts Express can provide kits for that as well (purchased separately).

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #3 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
Hi,

Just wondering I been trying to find all the different DIY Sub option with Flat Pack a la DIYSG style but so far I only found the Part Express ones
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/sp...%5D&PortalID=1

Are there other companies that have them like that?
Any soldering required or what component are required?

I like the diysg page as it lay pretty much everything out for you but no Subs.

I would like something with similar performance to the 15'' or 18'' Internet Direct subs but it seem they wont be 1/3 the saving about 1/2 $$ I'm I right?

Is there something out there DIY that compete with the HSU, PSA, Ryt etc in the 15'' 18'' range?

Thanks.
You can get 4.0cf sealed flat packs from DIYSG pretty affordably. For a larger ported enclosure, you're going to need to DIY- I'd look at either one of the Marty designs or the VBSS design if you're on a tighter budget/need smaller boxes than the Martys. One option would be to shop around for a local carpenter or handyman and get some quotes to have them cut the parts out for you. These designs are not difficult to cut and build- that's the whole point. Or, do you have a friend with a table saw? Skill saw, even? It's just a bunch of straight cuts and a circle cutout. The rest you can do with glue, clamps and nails.

As for competing with ID stuff- you can build a pair of UM18's in full/mini Marty cabs or, (if you're limited on cabinet size) you can do 4x VBSS for ~$1,200 all in. You simply can't get close to that amount of output in the ID world in that price range. Nowhere remotely close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 333
It kind of sucks that DIYSG dropped the ported cube 15. I think mostly because people who knew about DIYSG speakers had way bigger plans for subs and the little ported cube 15 just didnt fit the bill, and by little I mean still threw your back out if you tried to move it alone (I owned one). Most people had martys in mind or something else for a subwoofer and that sub probably mixed better with your basic speakers, not fusion 15's or something.

You may be able to get the dimensions for it from Erich.

Check out the 29$ jbl thread...its gone crazy. IF you have the room i say its probably even better then VBSS subs, but ive never heard the VBSS subs.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #5 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
It kind of sucks that DIYSG dropped the ported cube 15. I think mostly because people who knew about DIYSG speakers had way bigger plans for subs and the little ported cube 15 just didnt fit the bill, and by little I mean still threw your back out if you tried to move it alone (I owned one). Most people had martys in mind or something else for a subwoofer and that sub probably mixed better with your basic speakers, not fusion 15's or something.

Check out the 29$ jbl thread...its gone crazy. IF you have the room i say its probably even better then VBSS subs, but ive never heard the VBSS subs.
Came here to post this lol.

I’d definitely check out 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes like these
https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...binet--260-648

4 of those 12’s is equivalent to one UM18.

You could get everything you need for ~$300 excluding the amp.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #6 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The biggest difference is that PE can afford to eat the shipping cost if you order it through them. As discussed in other threads as well a ported 15" I doubt sold as well as the 4cu ft pack.
post #7 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
FYI Parts Express flatpacks are the same as the DIYSoundGroup. Denovo Audio IS DIYSoundGroup

Parts Express just offers them as a kit (sub + flatpack).

The items YOU NEED to provide are just the connections to the sub (binding post/speakon/quick disconnects depending on what you use), polyfill/denim if you want to stuff a sealed box, and then the amp to connect things to (if not included in the parts express kit).

That and if you want a Grill Parts Express can provide kits for that as well (purchased separately).
was not aware of that, I have read so many good thing about the DIYSG speaker but was not aware they made subs.
That why I wanted to go with them as it seem pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
You can get 4.0cf sealed flat packs from DIYSG pretty affordably. For a larger ported enclosure, you're going to need to DIY- I'd look at either one of the Marty designs or the VBSS design if you're on a tighter budget/need smaller boxes than the Martys. One option would be to shop around for a local carpenter or handyman and get some quotes to have them cut the parts out for you. These designs are not difficult to cut and build- that's the whole point. Or, do you have a friend with a table saw? Skill saw, even? It's just a bunch of straight cuts and a circle cutout. The rest you can do with glue, clamps and nails.

As for competing with ID stuff- you can build a pair of UM18's in full/mini Marty cabs or, (if you're limited on cabinet size) you can do 4x VBSS for ~$1,200 all in. You simply can't get close to that amount of output in the ID world in that price range. Nowhere remotely close.

I was not aware they have sub boxes, so it seem there are no ported flat packs?
so the UM18 and VBSS are completely custom cuts no flat pack?

I invited a co-worker to hear/test my 18'' and he was not surprised by the punch more by the $$ price he had before 12'' klipsch.
that why I am reconsidering my options.
even quad 10 or 12 for the price of dual18'' internet direct

I don't have any friend with carpenter tools. That why I was looking into ready made boxes.
Don't know how the find a carpenter idea would work I guess that would be a last source kind of thing.

Quote:

If the cost is reasonable I can do quad up front as one 18'' direct cost about $1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Came here to post this lol.

I’d definitely check out 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes like these
https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...binet--260-648

4 of those 12’s is equivalent to one UM18.

You could get everything you need for ~$300 excluding the amp.

That is more in line to what I am looking at. I could even put the L/R speaker on top and angle it down to aim the tweeter as it might be to high.
Do you have any idea how much one weight fully loaded?
and what amp is recommended?

would the vented one be better for Home theater?

what about this one https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...binet--260-630
one on top of another would that be better than the dual box or pretty much the same?
quad of the single 12'' vs dual of the 12'' double box

wow you need 4 of the 12'' to equal 1 UM18''

well the ID 18'' is about $1500
that why I am looking at other options as my friend was not super impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
The biggest difference is that PE can afford to eat the shipping cost if you order it through them. As discussed in other threads as well a ported 15" I doubt sold as well as the 4cu ft pack.
are this the ones 4cu
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-p...lat-packs.html

I was looking for vented for more slam

So it seem no much love for the part express 15'' or 18'' or is because they cost more.
post #8 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
was not aware of that, I have read so many good thing about the DIYSG speaker but was not aware they made subs.
That why I wanted to go with them as it seem pretty simple.

I was not aware they have sub boxes, so it seem there are no ported flat packs?
so the UM18 and VBSS are completely custom cuts no flat pack?

I invited a co-worker to hear/test my 18'' and he was not surprised by the punch more by the $$ price he had before 12'' klipsch.
that why I am reconsidering my options.
even quad 10 or 12 for the price of dual18'' internet direct

I don't have any friend with carpenter tools. That why I was looking into ready made boxes.
Don't know how the find a carpenter idea would work I guess that would be a last source kind of thing.

If the cost is reasonable I can do quad up front as one 18'' direct cost about $1400

That is more in line to what I am looking at. I could even put the L/R speaker on top and angle it down to aim the tweeter as it might be to high.
Do you have any idea how much one weight fully loaded?
and what amp is recommended?

would the vented one be better for Home theater?

what about this one https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...binet--260-630
one on top of another would that be better than the dual box or pretty much the same?
quad of the single 12'' vs dual of the 12'' double box

wow you need 4 of the 12'' to equal 1 UM18''

well the ID 18'' is about $1500
that why I am looking at other options as my friend was not super impressed.

are this the ones 4cu
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-p...lat-packs.html

I was looking for vented for more slam

So it seem no much love for the part express 15'' or 18'' or is because they cost more.
There is the stonehenge but that's not a flatpack. Not sure what you mean by no love for PE 15" or 18" most people order the UM18 or HO flatpack combo.

Vented only gives you more slam at the frequency it's ported at. So it depends on where you want the slam. Sealed is less setup and has smaller boxes. This is why sealed is more popular for flatpacks. One 18" subwoofer is not going to be amazing for tactile feedback. It will dig deeper than the 12".

You need to decide what you're chasing and then build the appropriate subwoofer for that. It sounds like you're looking more for a MBM than ULF. Then you have to determine how you want to do it. There are many ways and non of them are wrong. It's just how you want them to look and placement.

For $1500 in DIY land if you don't impress your friend you really did something wrong.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-7099 x2 or
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-7094

Inuke 6kdps or crown amp and a dsp

If that doesn't impress you then add:

Then get 4 JBL CS1214 build a sealed box tuned around 40hz in whatever config you want and get an inuke 1000dsp. A 3000dsp would be better but then you're a couple hundred over your budget.

The 2 18" will be great for HT and ok for music. I have 2 HO and they're good but not face melting for music. They're great for HT

Last edited by Shades228; 08-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
post #9 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is the stonehenge but that's not a flatpack. Not sure what you mean by no love for PE 15" or 18" most people order the UM18 or HO flatpack combo.

Vented only gives you more slam at the frequency it's ported at. So it depends on where you want the slam. Sealed is less setup and has smaller boxes. This is why sealed is more popular for flatpacks. One 18" subwoofer is not going to be amazing for tactile feedback. It will dig deeper than the 12".

You need to decide what you're chasing and then build the appropriate subwoofer for that. It sounds like you're looking more for a MBM than ULF. Then you have to determine how you want to do it. There are many ways and non of them are wrong. It's just how you want them to look and placement.

For $1500 in DIY land if you don't impress your friend you really did something wrong.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-7099 x2 or

Inuke 6kdps or crown amp and a dsp

If that doesn't impress you then add:

Then get 4 JBL CS1214 build a sealed box tuned around 40hz in whatever config you want and get an inuke 1000dsp. A 3000dsp would be better but then you're a couple hundred over your budget.

The 2 18" will be great for HT and ok for music. I have 2 HO and they're good but not face melting for music. They're great for HT
I mean as I was recommended the 12''jbl

what would be the difference in those two link you provided?

so how one of those 18'' in dual setup compared to quad JBL 12''

I still don't know what amp goes on each setup to figure out the final $$ amount.
post #10 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I mean as I was recommended the 12''jbl

what would be the difference in those two link you provided?

so how one of those 18'' in dual setup compared to quad JBL 12''

I still don't know what amp goes on each setup to figure out the final $$ amount.

I didn't run any numbers because people smarter than I am with this posted it prior. They said that 4 of those JBL would be equal to 1 UM18 and I'm going to believe them. The reason to choose other configs are $$, size constraints, or aesthetics.

So let's start at the beginning:

Budget
HT/Music/Gaming % breakdown
Room size
Are there any size constraints?
post #11 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't run any numbers because people smarter than I am with this posted it prior. They said that 4 of those JBL would be equal to 1 UM18 and I'm going to believe them. The reason to choose other configs are $$, size constraints, or aesthetics.

Budget
Room size
Yeah we’d probably be better off starting over with answers to Shades questions because this thread is all over the place.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
post #12 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dual 18s and 8 cs1214/cx1200 would both be good on a inuke nu6000dsp. You need the dsp to boost the lower frequency with the 12" drivers, they are mid range/mid bass/~60hz happy so you have to boost the lower frequencies.

I'm running them in a 1.9cuft box, anything 1.2-2.0cuft works.

I'm not sure how you tune a sealed cabinet to 40hz either...

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #13 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 11943
The JBLs are no longer $30, so forget those.

I would go with a pair of Stonehenges with UM18s. Ported is just much easier for someone who wants to find good spots in the room and run room EQ and be done, IMO.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #14 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Dual 18s and 8 cs1214/cx1200 would both be good on a inuke nu6000dsp. You need the dsp to boost the lower frequency with the 12" drivers, they are mid range/mid bass/~60hz happy so you have to boost the lower frequencies.

I'm running them in a 1.9cuft box, anything 1.2-2.0cuft works.

I'm not sure how you tune a sealed cabinet to 40hz either...

I can clip my 2 18s on one 6k with a dedicated 20amp circuit. I would get another amp for the other 8. I'm not saying you can't do it but if you have to lose power to do it I'm not sure it's worth it.
post #15 of 186 Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post

I would go with a pair of Stonehenges with UM18s. Ported is just much easier for someone who wants to find good spots in the room and run room EQ and be done, IMO.

They're always $35 at Walmart.
post #16 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post

Walmart.com search cs1214.

post #17 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

btw, ive had good luck with LMinnovations on ebay for my boxes. I buy the dual 15" sealed cabinet and then I cut a baffle out of 1/2 mdf. Right now they have a 10% off ebay coupon. I got the first 2 for 77$ shipped and the second 2 were 86$ shipped. Cant beat that for finished boxes!

post #18 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Make some new friends that have tools. At least you posted your state but FL is big.

A few years ago someone at a car audio forum posted that they needed help building a sub. I was free that weekend and volunteered to help out. The guy that showed up turned out to be 16. He was enthusiastic and I was able to teach him some woodworking skills that would make sure he kept all 10 fingers. He is still an audio fanatic and now works at https://www.realturntable.com/
Chris Popovich and tiger8mush like this.
post #19 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Budget
Room size
- Well my budget about 1400 if I can spend less for great bass even better. My plan was to get two internet direct 18" but somewhat disappointed the bass for $$
It would be used mostly for movies is my goal, games, music radio station or streaming.
-So I say 60% movies, 20% and 20% games, music
-13x13x9ceiling
-on size I would say weight try to keep it at or near 100 lbs
post #20 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
- Well my budget about 1400 if I can spend less for great bass even better. My plan was to get two internet direct 18" but somewhat disappointed the bass for $$
It would be used mostly for movies is my goal, games, music radio station or streaming.
-So I say 60% movies, 20% and 20% games, music
-13x13x9ceiling
-on size I would say weight try to keep it at or near 100 lbs
Yeah I think the JBL’s would be your best bet being in a small room you’ll get some room gain on the lower frequencies.

If you don’t mind having multiple drivers that is.

I’d start out first with 4 JBL CS1214’s, two dual sealed boxes, & an iNUKE 6000dsp.

Like you stated you could use them as stands for your fronts or sides or you could place them directly behind your MLP.

You’d have only spent ~300 for the drivers & cabs & another ~400 for the amp. That’d still leave you half your budget to mess around with. You may decide you want another 4 for a total of eight or you may want to throw an 18” into the mix w/ the 12’s. There’s plenty of options.

I’d give this thread a read through, there’s plenty of answers to your questions regarding different configurations, different size boxes, ported vs sealed, wattage, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...y-bestbuy.html

Also if you are looking for an 18” I’d give these a look, not as good w/ extension as the Ultimax but, only 1/3 the price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-036

post #21 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post
Make some new friends that have tools. At least you posted your state but FL is big.

A few years ago someone at a car audio forum posted that they needed help building a sub. I was free that weekend and volunteered to help out. The guy that showed up turned out to be 16. He was enthusiastic and I was able to teach him some woodworking skills that would make sure he kept all 10 fingers. He is still an audio fanatic and now works at https://www.realturntable.com/
Good on you. You made an impression that he'll never forget.
post #22 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I think the JBL’s would be your best bet being in a small room you’ll get some room gain on the lower frequencies.

If you don’t mind having multiple drivers that is.

I’d start out first with 4 JBL CS1214’s, two dual sealed boxes, & an iNUKE 6000dsp.

Like you stated you could use them as stands for your fronts or sides or you could place them directly behind your MLP.

You’d have only spent ~300 for the drivers & cabs & another ~400 for the amp. That’d still leave you half your budget to mess around with. You may decide you want another 4 for a total of eight or you may want to throw an 18” into the mix w/ the 12’s. There’s plenty of options.

I’d give this thread a read through, there’s plenty of answers to your questions regarding different configurations, different size boxes, ported vs sealed, wattage, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...y-bestbuy.html

Also if you are looking for an 18” I’d give these a look, not as good w/ extension as the Ultimax but, only 1/3 the price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-036
what you say about this options

Quad double subwoofer box JBL 12'' on each corner
Quad single boxes JBL 12'' stack on top of each, two on each corner
Quad single boxed mix up 2 sealed 2 ported - is this even a good option - one sealed and ported on each corner
Dual 15''
Dual 18''

Would you say the 15'' be a happy medium bass per $$ compared to quad JBL 12''

I just don't really see myself having more sub around the room.
So I have to get the best I can for the front.
post #23 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

13x13x9 lol, my room is 11x24x7...Roughly 1850cuft and you are at 1500cu ft. 4 jbl 12's is proving to be plenty, but im doing 8 because I got the amp, and the space, and the need.

8 in your 1500cuft room will be all youd ever need lol.

I watched super troopers 2 last night and theres a scene at the saw mill, its like sine waves of bass and my 4 were doing great and filling the room great. 8 will take into overdrive if needed...but 4 is "enough". Just have to make sure placement is right, and definitely need DSP in some form.

post #24 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
btw, ive had good luck with LMinnovations on ebay for my boxes. I buy the dual 15" sealed cabinet and then I cut a baffle out of 1/2 mdf. Right now they have a 10% off ebay coupon. I got the first 2 for 77$ shipped and the second 2 were 86$ shipped. Cant beat that for finished boxes!
I was not able to find them.

can you post a link so I can take a look or save for later reference.

Thanks.
post #25 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what you say about this options

Quad double subwoofer box JBL 12'' on each corner
Quad single boxes JBL 12'' stack on top of each, two on each corner
Quad single boxed mix up 2 sealed 2 ported - is this even a good option - one sealed and ported on each corner
Dual 15''
Dual 18''

Would you say the 15'' be a happy medium bass per $$ compared to quad JBL 12''

I just don't really see myself having more sub around the room.
So I have to get the best I can for the front.
I believe you’re putting too much emphasis on driver size.

If we’re talking about (1) HSU 10” vs (1) HSU 15” you have a good case but, with DIY there’s a lot of other factors.

If I were you I’d start out with 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes. I’d probably put (2) in one front corner & (2) in the other front corner.

You definitely don’t want to have one sealed w/ another ported. It’d be a disaster getting them to work together.

But like I said, if you do not like the idea of having (4) drivers then just get two of these & put them in the front stage

post #26 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
13x13x9 lol, my room is 11x24x7...Roughly 1850cuft and you are at 1500cu ft. 4 jbl 12's is proving to be plenty, but im doing 8 because I got the amp, and the space, and the need.

8 in your 1500cuft room will be all youd ever need lol.

I watched super troopers 2 last night and theres a scene at the saw mill, its like sine waves of bass and my 4 were doing great and filling the room great. 8 will take into overdrive if needed...but 4 is "enough". Just have to make sure placement is right, and definitely need DSP in some form.
wow talk about a lot of drivers,

just to clarify if I get the JBL 12 it would only be 4 of them two on each corner. for a total of 4 drivers so if I get the dual box it would be 1 on each side to have 2 driver on each side.

so would that be good for my room.

If not I could look into dual 15'' one on each corner, how would that compare to quad 12'' two 12 on each corner.
post #27 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe you’re putting too much emphasis on driver size.

If we’re talking about (1) HSU 10” vs (1) HSU 15” you have a good case but, with DIY there’s a lot of other factors.

If I were you I’d start out with 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes. I’d probably put (2) in one front corner & (2) in the other front corner.

You definitely don’t want to have one sealed w/ another ported. It’d be a disaster getting them to work together.

But like I said, if you do not like the idea of having (4) drivers then just get two of these & put them in the front stage

yes I probably putting to much effort into what if.

No I don't mind having multiple drivers, just wondering if Dual 15 would be much better to quad 12 or about the same bass wise? how would the bass per $$ compare

or just go and grab dual 18''.
post #28 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

8 is entry level for those jbls, lot of people running 12-16, maybe more. When you have 8 subs but only ~$270 in drivers it makes complete sense, it just sounds crazy to people thinking 8 subs.....1 ultimax 18 is 325$ and 8 12's can do wonders for room modes and mid bass.

Im actually running my 4 like that, 2 in each front corner, about 10" from the side walls and its great, very even across all seats.

@cloudbuster , Im sorry, VMinnovations, 48$ dual 15" box, then I bought 2 half sheets of 1/2 mdf and make a new front baffle. The 1/2 seems to be strong enough since its got 5/8 behind most of it, gotta be careful on your cut out and screw selection though to mount the driver

post #29 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes I probably putting to much effort into what if.

No I don't mind having multiple drivers, just wondering if Dual 15 would be much better to quad 12 or about the same bass wise? how would the bass per $$ compare

or just go and grab dual 18''.
$ vs performance you cannot beat the JBL’s.

4 JBL’s = 1 Ultimax 18 in terms of performance

But dollar wise you’re spending

$120 vs $325 just on drivers.

So if you’re budget oriented you could get (2) Ultimax 18” performance for the price of (1) Ultimax 18” driver.

Dollar vs performance the JBL is your best bet.

The only reason we keep mentioning going with the 18’s is because some people can’t wrap their mind around having 4-8 subs in their room regardless of how cheap they are.

Edit: in response to the 15’s, they’re not much cheaper than the 18’s are, which is why I wouldn’t recommend them. The reason the JBL’s are loved so much is because they’re $30 compared to $300

post #30 of 186 Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

I get it much better now.

Hmm let me go back to thinking.

I think I got this figure out so 8 JBL 12 in my 13x13x9 room.

two on each front corner serving as speaker stand = 4 on the front
two on each side surround serving as surround stand = 2 on each side = 4 extra drivers

for a total of 8 JBL 12''

wow I think this would be epic then.
But I would only have side surround no rear so they would be on each side of the chairs

would this sound like the ultimate setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page