AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Piece by Piece QSC SC-2180 build (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2994524-piece-piece-qsc-sc-2180-build.html)

johnson636 08-04-2018 06:06 PM

Piece by Piece QSC SC-2180 build
 
1 Attachment(s)
My initial intention was to purchase the Titans from ErichH (ordered the flat packs and everything), but I have so many projects going on right now I had to put the Titans purchase on the back burner. I searched and searched for options in which I could piece a build together over time and I finally found one that caught my eye; the QSC 2150 clone. I could order the parts at different times until I eventually have all the pieces to begin the build. Now the reason I mentioned variant in the title is because I'd rather use another 15 than Celestion TF1530. It would be really cool if I could use the PA460. The thought of a dual 18 LCR would definitely be awesome:D I could use the stock crossover for the tweeter and the mid, leaving me to go active for the PA460s. An alternative to that would be Eminence Deltalite II 2515 Neo 15". Now I know a dual 18 inch speaker is impractical and that's fine, but you only live once:)



*Edit* Due to the excellent name suggestion by @hd0823 , I've decided to edit the title and name of this build to QSC SC-2180:D

Randy_J 08-04-2018 06:20 PM

Sounds like a very cool project. How does the price point of this set up compare to the Titan? How hard is it to source the wave guide, cross over, and drivers? I am hoping to be able to do a dedicated room in the near future and i love the idea of the titan but would love to see other options. Good luck with the build.

Randy

johnson636 08-04-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy_J (Post 56593602)
How does the price point of this set up compare to the Titan?

The 2150 would be cheaper by my math. Especially If I'm able to use the PA460s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy_J (Post 56593602)
How hard is it to source the wave guide, cross over, and drivers?

The only problem piece would be the crossover because you need to provide a serial number of an actual 2150:( If all else fails I go full active. I have more than enough channels of amplification:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy_J (Post 56593602)
I am hoping to be able to do a dedicated room in the near future and i love the idea of the titan but would love to see other options. Good luck with the build.

Randy

I'm sure the titans kick butt, but you gotta love the idea of dual 18 mains:D

johnson636 08-04-2018 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to PE's measured response, the PA460 is only down about 3 or 4db at 500Hz. Any reason it couldn't get the job done?

eng-399 08-04-2018 10:40 PM

Dual 18’s would be fun I floated the same idea around for a while debating if I should do the exact build your doing right now. The crossover part will be the issue so just run them off a mini dsp 10/10 for this if you have enough channels. The bass and midbass should be nuts from this.

As for the waveguide from qsc I think I paid around 40$ for one of them. There different than the titans waveguide but close. They have a slight different pattern when putting them next to each other. If you want use the same cd and mid as the Titan Just buy the the adapter piece for that from parts express to fit the qsc waveguide. That was my plan

johnson636 08-04-2018 11:25 PM

I actually considered using the CD that the titans use but thought it would be best not to since I had an agreement with Erich to purchase the Titans. He made special concessions for me in regards to the flat pack so I didn't want to burn any bridges. Besides, I've heard mostly great things about the 2150 and the parts they use. I just have an itch for dual 18s. I'm not seeing any reason why not to use the PA460 as a woofer. Maybe someone else has some info in that regard.

Lickity Split 08-05-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56594356)
I actually considered using the CD that the titans use but thought it would be best not to since I had an agreement with Erich to purchase the Titans. He made special concessions for me in regards to the flat pack so I didn't want to burn any bridges. Besides, I've heard mostly great things about the 2150 and the parts they use. I just have an itch for dual 18s. I'm not seeing any reason why not to use the PA460 as a woofer. Maybe someone else has some info in that regard.

If your using the QSC WG the Celestion CDX 1730 is the bolt on version of the CDX 1731 used in the Titan

johnson636 08-05-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lickity Split (Post 56595590)
If your using the QSC WG the Celestion CDX 1730 is the bolt on version of the CDX 1731 used in the Titan

If I were to go full active, then that would be a great idea, but I don't believe the 1730 would work with the stock crossover. Any thoughts on using the PA460 as a woofer?

Lickity Split 08-05-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56596358)
If I were to go full active, then that would be a great idea, but I don't believe the 1730 would work with the stock crossover. Any thoughts on using the PA460 as a woofer?



I have no idea about the woofer. I’m in a similar situation as you. I really wanted 2150’s or titans but can’t afford either option atm. So in the end I picked up 3 QSC KW153’s and found 2 QSC hpr153’s. The HPR’s would be a single woofer, powered 2150. It uses the same WG and Celestion 1425CD. The KW’s use a 1730 CD. Have you considered these as a cheaper alternative?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-05-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lickity Split (Post 56596824)
I have no idea about the woofer. I’m in a similar situation as you. I really wanted 2150’s or titans but can’t afford either option atm. So in the end I picked up 3 QSC KW153’s and found 2 QSC hpr153’s. The HPR’s would be a single woofer, powered 2150. It uses the same WG and Celestion 1425CD. The KW’s use a 1730 CD. Have you considered these as a cheaper alternative?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, the KW153's are listed for around $1450 each. 3 of those would be 3 time as much as either the 2150 o the Titans. The hpr153’s are nice, but I'm stuck on dual 18's:D What are your impressions of the hpr153’s?

Lickity Split 08-05-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56597500)
Wow, the KW153's are listed for around $1450 each. 3 of those would be 3 time as much as either the 2150 o the Titans. The hpr153’s are nice, but I'm stuck on dual 18's:D What are your impressions of the hpr153’s?



Lol. USED is the key word here. Took me a while but I managed to acquire 3-kw’s, 2-hpr 153’s 2-hpr151’s and 2-hpr181’s for around $4kCND which is basically free in USD. lol
I didn’t particularly need the hpr subs but it was an all or nothing deals in both cases.

I wish I could give you a decent review of how they sound but I don’t even have a HT room. I have small 12x11 room in my basement that I’ve set all these in along with 2 sealed UXL’s and a EAW double 18 cab. I have them just running through an Onkyo sc886 prepro and minidsp 88a for the subs/mids. Oh yeah I almost forgot. I have a 22” monitor hooked up. Lol

At this point Because I can’t afford to build a room and all the equipment all at once I’ve just started collecting speakers and when I have the time and money I’ll try to get a room together.

Anyway back to your question. How do they sound? I think “good” but keep in mind what I’m dealing with. In my room I have enough room for 1 chair and I’m about 3ft away in either side from the hpr’s. Probably has to do with ground hums because Of everything plugged in that room but they do hiss slightly. Not bad and not loud but I can hear it slightly from 3 ft away. I can’t hear the kw’s until I’m about a foot away. If I had to choose between the kw’s and hpr’s I’m really not sure what I’d pick. The kw’s have a better CD but the hpr’s have fanless amps, both sound “good” but I’ve never a/b’d them in a decent room against a decent speaker... they are pretty decent speakers. If you were set on 2150’s and you found a cheap set of hpr’s you wouldn’t be making a mistake by grabbing them. I emailed qsc to compare them. They told me the hpr is the closest thing to a 2150 they have. He said the biggest difference is the x curve is slightly different than the 2150. And I think I read somewhere that the hpr crosses @ 600hz opposed to the 2150’s 500.

As for right now I’m just playing and trying different stuff out. In the end I may not even use the hpr’s as rears since the space I have allotted for my ht room is only 12-13’ wide x 20 long so idk if I’ll even have the width for them with a couch or theatre chairs. I have another pile of QSC wall mount speakers in the event the 3 way surrounds don’t work.

I’d also like to play around with the hpr by isolating the top chamber as it currently shares it with the woofer and I’d like to sound dampen it.

Idk if I actually answered your question.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lickity Split 08-05-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56597500)
Wow, the KW153's are listed for around $1450 each. 3 of those would be 3 time as much as either the 2150 o the Titans. The hpr153’s are nice, but I'm stuck on dual 18's:D What are your impressions of the hpr153’s?



Oh yeah. And I also have the hpr 181/151’s running with the kw’s/hpr’s and I’m using the subs 100hz lpf and running it to the 153’s so they only play 100hz and up and 181/151’s down to 50 and UXL up to that and the EAW 50 and up also


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-05-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lickity Split (Post 56597682)
Oh yeah. And I also have the hpr 181/151’s running with the kw’s/hpr’s and I’m using the subs 100hz lpf and running it to the 153’s so they only play 100hz and up and 181/151’s down to 50 and UXL up to that and the EAW 50 and up also


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well know I'd eventually build my lcr, I purchased 3 of the monoprice PA 15s. My room isn't treated yet, but audyssey does a very good job taming them. they actually sound very good. They allow me to take as much time as I need to complete my build that for sure:)

hd0823 08-05-2018 07:28 PM

I'll be watching this thread I have the oem 2150s and love how they sound. I'm very intrested on how they will sound with dual 18s

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-05-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd0823 (Post 56597898)
I'll be watching this thread I have the oem 2150s and love how they sound. I'm very intrested on how they will sound with dual 18s

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've heard the oem 2150's use a different 15" woofer that has a longer stroke, is this true?

hd0823 08-06-2018 02:39 AM

When I was researching buying or diy that's what I came across to. I'm not sure how true it is or if it's QSC saying that so people don't make clones

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-06-2018 08:12 AM

@Mahuzz13 , You are much further along than I am so I'd like to hear your impressions of the 2150s when you're done. Will your 2150's be installed in a dedicated theater room? How large is the room. Like yourself, I decided to use the HF adjustable bracket so that I will have flexibility with my enclosure size. Using 18's may require a slightly taller cab to work in my room configuration.

Mahuzz13 08-06-2018 08:29 AM

Piece by Piece QSC SC-2150 variant build
 
My room is not dedicated, I do have a thread build if you want to check it out. The room sized is 17 x 23 then minus 2’ behind the screen so really 17 x 21. I will 4 UM18-22s in 10cu boxes, similar to Mike’s and Jared’s look but with a baffle wall.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...2969816?page=9

Not sure why that link I provided says that as the title but the link goes to my build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-06-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 (Post 56599444)
My room is not dedicated, I do have a thread build if you want to check it out. The room sized is 17 x 23 then minus 2’ behind the screen so really 17 x 21. I will 4 UM18-22s in 10cu boxes, similar to Mike’s and Jared’s look but with a baffle wall.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...2969816?page=9

Not sure why that link I provided says that as the title but the link goes to my build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That room is going to be absolutely awesome:)

johnson636 08-15-2018 11:11 AM

Man, wouldn't it be cool to have 3 SC-223

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56602082)
That room is going to be absolutely awesome:)



Thanks Johnson


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 02:42 PM

I’m going to start my build of my QSC2150s
Would you know if there would be double front baffle for the 2 drivers? Just makin a cut list for the boxes and I wasn’t sure if it had a double or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hd0823 08-15-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 (Post 56647216)
I’m going to start my build of my QSC2150s
Would you know if there would be double front baffle for the 2 drivers? Just makin a cut list for the boxes and I wasn’t sure if it had a double or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll be fine with one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 03:06 PM

I know it would be much difference but wouldn’t it change the internal volume without having the double baffle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-15-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 (Post 56647330)
I know it would be much difference but wouldn’t it change the internal volume without having the double baffle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if you have the baffle attached to the outside of the left and right panels.

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56647794)
Not if you have the baffle attached to the outside of the left and right panels.



Hmmm I think I get it but for some reason I thought I was told or read it somewhere that it is a double baffle, the inside one sits in between the left and right and the one on top sits like you said. But if it is not needed great. Maybe Jeremy could chime in because the person (I think Steve) where he bought his QSCs from can’t remember his AVS name said it was double baffle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 08-15-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 (Post 56647816)
Hmmm I think I get it but for some reason I thought I was told or read it somewhere that it is a double baffle, the inside one sits in between the left and right and the one on top sits like you said. But if it is not needed great. Maybe Jeremy could chime in because the person (I think Steve) where he bought his QSCs from can’t remember his AVS name said it was double baffle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can build a double baffle, but if crossing over at 80 you should be ok with a single.

hd0823 08-15-2018 05:23 PM

I j
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 (Post 56647816)
Hmmm I think I get it but for some reason I thought I was told or read it somewhere that it is a double baffle, the inside one sits in between the left and right and the one on top sits like you said. But if it is not needed great. Maybe Jeremy could chime in because the person (I think Steve) where he bought his QSCs from can’t remember his AVS name said it was double baffle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just talked to steve he said single baffle but there is a board between the top and bottom 15s to make them each in there own chamber.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 56647936)
You can build a double baffle, but if crossing over at 80 you should be ok with a single.



I am new to all this so please correct me if I am wrong, I think they are tuned to 40hz so does that mean they are crossed at 40 or would it be higher


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahuzz13 08-15-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd0823 (Post 56647938)
I jI just talked to steve he said single baffle but there is a board between the top and bottom 15s to make them each in there own chamber.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk



Perfect thanks for asking Steve and clarifying that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.