Dayton RSS460HO-4 Cabinet Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LGERIC

post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Dayton RSS460HO-4 Cabinet Questions

I am getting ready to build 2 sealed cabinets for my RSS460HO-4 drivers. According to the website it suggests a 3.04 cf box but I notice quite a few builds on this site are in the ~4.0 cf range. What does the larger size box offer over the recommended size? I need to build a rather shallow box (~16-18 inches deep) and was wondering if this has any adverse effect on sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I am getting ready to build 2 sealed cabinets for my RSS460HO-4 drivers. According to the website it suggests a 3.04 cf box but I notice quite a few builds on this site are in the ~4.0 cf range. What does the larger size box offer over the recommended size? I need to build a rather shallow box (~16-18 inches deep) and was wondering if this has any adverse effect on sound?
I do believe that the smaller box will have a higher Qtc which may translate into a boomy sound. A .707 Qtc is considered an ideal response. You may need more stuffing in the smaller box. Should produce equal spl though.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have mine in aproximate 3.6cf not factoring sub displacement. External dimensions are 16.5x22x22 with a double front baffle. I also have 3lbs of polyfill inside too. It sounds great to me. What might be missing with more cf I can't really say but between audyssey and the minidsp it does quite a good job getting me in trouble often!

65" Sony X900E, Denon X2300, SVS Prime LCR, Polk TSI100 surround, 2X 18" RSS460HO sealed 3.5ft3, Inuke 6KDSP, minidsp 2x4 revA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERIC View Post
I have mine in aproximate 3.6cf not factoring sub displacement. External dimensions are 16.5x22x22 with a double front baffle. I also have 3lbs of polyfill inside too. It sounds great to me. What might be missing with more cf I can't really say but between audyssey and the minidsp it does quite a good job getting me in trouble often!
Did you use any bracing? Is your box sealed?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I do believe that the smaller box will have a higher Qtc which may translate into a boomy sound. A .707 Qtc is considered an ideal response. You may need more stuffing in the smaller box. Should produce equal spl though.
Definitely don't want boomy. I was mostly curious why the "recommended" cabinet size is smaller than what most people are building. I'll stay near 4 cf when I build them.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Did you use any bracing? Is your box sealed?
Yes it is sealed. I didn't use any bracing but I think it could have use some from the baffle to the back. I may try to fit some dowels in there someday. With only 22in wide there isnt much room between the driver and sidewalls. The only reason i say i might is because it sounds a little hollow tapping it on the back. I dont get the same sound tapping on the sides. I cant imagine adding bracing to this smaller box would change the sound enough for me. I only have the opportunity to push it hard once a week or so. This was my first diy build so it was more proof of concept than anything. Am I happy with the results? Absolutely! I am concidering selling my 2 svs subs to build another one of these. I just need to find a way for them to fit into our livingroom better first....
brazensol likes this.

65" Sony X900E, Denon X2300, SVS Prime LCR, Polk TSI100 surround, 2X 18" RSS460HO sealed 3.5ft3, Inuke 6KDSP, minidsp 2x4 revA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page