• 5 Post By pnhayden
  • 3 Post By pnhayden

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
DIYSG Titan 615 Build

I know there have been several Titan 615LX builds and I'm not doing anything unique but I don't recall ever seeing a build thread for the base Titan 615. I ordered the waveguide brackets & narrow flat packs as my room has plenty of depth as well as the unfinished crossover PCBs from Matt. When I ordered all of this the crossovers were out of stock at DIYSG and I like to solder so the PCBs were ordered. Everything got to my house as planned after I had to have Erich delay shipment two weeks as I had to travel for work. Of course 3 hours after placing my order at DIYSG order my boss tells me I have to be in Texas...
The assembly has been taking a lot longer than expected because life just keeps getting in the way. I got the crossovers assembled in one night, it was pretty painless. I did have a couple of challenges fitting the inductors on the board as it looks like Erich switched suppliers from pictures of other builds I have seen or it might just be because these were the 615 vs. 615LX.
Attached are the obligatory clamp p*rn and dog for size reference, she weighs 7 lbs. I'm hoping to have everything built and installed by this weekend. More details to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_132815.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	2462868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180921_181558.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2462870  
eng-399, liffie420, dtsdig and 2 others like this.

HT v2.0; DIYSG Titan LCR, V.B.S.S. 6X, iNuke 3K DSP, TriTrix MTM TL, Yamaha 675, BenQ W1070, DIY painted screen, Harmony Ultimate Home + Hub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhayden View Post
I know there have been several Titan 615LX builds and I'm not doing anything unique but I don't recall ever seeing a build thread for the base Titan 615. I ordered the waveguide brackets & narrow flat packs as my room has plenty of depth as well as the unfinished crossover PCBs from Matt. When I ordered all of this the crossovers were out of stock at DIYSG and I like to solder so the PCBs were ordered. Everything got to my house as planned after I had to have Erich delay shipment two weeks as I had to travel for work. Of course 3 hours after placing my order at DIYSG order my boss tells me I have to be in Texas...
The assembly has been taking a lot longer than expected because life just keeps getting in the way. I got the crossovers assembled in one night, it was pretty painless. I did have a couple of challenges fitting the inductors on the board as it looks like Erich switched suppliers from pictures of other builds I have seen or it might just be because these were the 615 vs. 615LX.
Attached are the obligatory clamp p*rn and dog for size reference, she weighs 7 lbs. I'm hoping to have everything built and installed by this weekend. More details to follow.
Man I still wish I had the tools and room to fit these or even the 1099's
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One of these days I'll post pics of my build... 3 Titan 615's, 4 Volt 8's, 4 PA460 Value Busters and 2 36" THT subs with the Dayton RS390HO drivers... Couldn't be happier, but I still need to purchase 4 Fusion 8's so I can move my V8's where I had them intended... ATMOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2018, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I've been making progress. All three flat packs are glued and two layers of Duratex applied with one more needed to cover the primer, more on that below. The flat packs went together very easily. I used no screws or nails, just a lot of clamps. A very small lip on some of the flat packs was quickly sanded off with 80 grit and an orbital sander. I decided to not use any putty as the fit was rather good as is and these are going in a light controlled basement theater. Inside I used foam mattress topper as I did not feel like driving to Menards to get the recycled denim that seems to popular on here. A little 3M spray adhesive to hold it on and away I went. I did spray paint the inside of the bottom section of the cabinet with flat black as I did not know if you would be able to see in there thru the ports and thought better to do it now then try to do it after the baffle is installed.

I made the mistake of using a white primer, live and learn. This was my first time using Duratex. It has been said that it does not require primer but I thought I'm not in giant hurry so why not. Using white required more of the black Duratex to completely cover it (duh) and not see the white sticking through. The one I finished had three thin coats of Duratex and looks pretty good if I dont say so myself. I used a 4" foam roller and the procedure on YouTube that Duratex posted. It has taken longer for the Duratex to dry as I am working in a garage in Michigan without heat and its been raining and cold here as of late. My wife even approved with the finish. Well she did until she asked how many more of these are going into the theater. Her reaction was pretty funny.

In the tight areas of the wave guide brackets where I could not get the roller I sprayed some flat black paint and it blends well with the Duratex. I then mounted the crossover on the back side of the bracket with the supplied screws and standoffs that Matt sends with the PCBs. They are truly too pretty to hide inside the box. On the back of the wave guide bracket I installed the terminal cup similar to how someone else on here did, in the corner of the bracket. Here are the terminals cups I used. https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...-post--260-288

For connecting to the drivers I used these female disconnects. https://www.parts-express.com/gold-1...-pair--095-810 I had only anticipated using a couple per speaker but ended up using 12 AWG wire I had laying around so the disconnect that came with the HF CD were not going to work. Another order to PE later I have 10 more of the disconnects linked to above. On top of the woofer cabinet I installed a set of binding posts from DIYSG that I bought with the kits. https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speake...ding-post.html
I'll upload some pictures of the progress when I get a chance.

HT v2.0; DIYSG Titan LCR, V.B.S.S. 6X, iNuke 3K DSP, TriTrix MTM TL, Yamaha 675, BenQ W1070, DIY painted screen, Harmony Ultimate Home + Hub
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the crossovers and WG brackets with the crossover and WG populated. I took the afternoon off work to make some more progress, what better reason for some off time??? The woofer cabinets are all now coated in Duratex. Results are ok, I've learned there is definitely a technique and I did not have it at the beginning. If I had to do it again I would still use Duratex but spend more time to get a more even coat.

I got two of the Titans installed in the theater this afternoon. I have two VBSS where the L & R should go so the Titans had to go in front of the subs, not ideal. I plan on moving those two VBSS to another location in the room but have not done it yet. This places the Titans only 11 feet from the MLP, should be more like 14 or 15 feet once everything gets moved around. I know this is less than perfect (and the room is largely untreated right now) but I just could not wait to hear them.

Initial impressions are largely what I expected, lots of dynamics, gets LOUD very easy even with just AVR power... The highs were more pronounced than I expected, used to silk domes and knew this would be different but it was still eye/ear opening. After running the Yamaha auto room and eq correction the results were rather shocking. I looked at the difference between the L & R and they were not even close to the same, seems the room is not behaving well. Time to start studying up on DIY absorption & diffusion panels. I've spent a short time listening with no correction applied and I think I like that better.

Listening to some music with the sub crossover set at 60hz & the Titans set to large (duh, no F'ing huge setting) they blended very well. I popped in a few blue rays and the impacts from things like John Wick 2 were impressive. I should have the third finished later today and will get to more listening and pictures taken. Then time to spend some time on running through the setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181004_110733.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	2464166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181004_122217.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	2464168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181004_122242.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	2464170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181004_125201.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	2464172  

post #6 of 10 Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Any updates on getting these dialed in?

Thoughts on close up sound.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by petethekiller View Post
One of these days I'll post pics of my build... 3 Titan 615's, 4 Volt 8's, 4 PA460 Value Busters and 2 36" THT subs with the Dayton RS390HO drivers... Couldn't be happier, but I still need to purchase 4 Fusion 8's so I can move my V8's where I had them intended... ATMOS

Wow. That must sound incredible.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2018, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarnoise View Post
Any updates on getting these dialed in?

Thoughts on close up sound.
Sorry for the lack of update, I have been enjoying them. I'll create a more thorough write up later today but even my wife is impressed with the sound. Its funny now that she is seeing the benefit she wants to watch more movies. We have had a few friends over and everyone was blown away.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhayden View Post
Sorry for the lack of update, I have been enjoying them. I'll create a more thorough write up later today but even my wife is impressed with the sound. Its funny now that she is seeing the benefit she wants to watch more movies. We have had a few friends over and everyone was blown away.
Good deal! I felt the same after building and setting up HTM-12's. (didn't have room for those big boys of yours). Even my wife noticed the improvement and she doesn't usually, well, really never, comments on stuff like that. I am curious of your impressions of the Titans when you get the time.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What kind of sub woofers are you using with these? Anxious to hear your thoughts and see some more photos of the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page