• 1 Post By kennyandersen

post #1 of 17 Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Cobalt build is done :)

So my cobalts are finally done. Finally...

A couple of thoughts.

1. This was my first foray into building anything. Nothing about Erich's packaging needs to be reiterated. Borderline bomb proof.

2. As you can tell from some of the pics, I suck at using filler and sanding stuff.

3. Thankfully I had Matt Grant take care of my crossovers.

4. The veneer I choose with the flat black paint looks INCREDIBLE.

5. I didnt know how much polyfill to use, so I just shoved enough in until I thought that was enough. See the pics.

6. I used hot glue to secure the XO's to the bottom of the boxes. I don't see them every getting loose.

Now for the sound. They sound incredible. I am coming from a 6 year old set of HTD Level 3 speakers. I am finding that I am watching Live Die Repeat a full 10 notches lower on my Denon with the same volume. Absolutely crystal clear dialogue. I cranked them up and not once did my ears feel strained. Remained crystal clear. From everything I read, they will only get better as they get broken in (they are still super stiff). Off axis is non existent. No matter what my LP, I can hear things not previously heard. Here's something weird. After running XT32, they were set to -7db. So either they are super super efficient, or I have the worst room on earth (probably a combination). I didn't like that so I raised them up.

Anyways, I think this is one of the first cobalt builds and I will answer any questions as best I can. This was a lot of fun. And I can't wait till I build the Volt's when they become more available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2464990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2464992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2464994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687.jpeg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2464996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1683.jpeg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2464998  

Name:	file1-2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2465000   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2465002   Click image for larger version

Name:	file3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	2465004   Click image for larger version

Name:	file2.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2465006   Click image for larger version

Name:	file1.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2465008  

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2465010   Click image for larger version

Name:	file4.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2465012   Click image for larger version

Name:	file5.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2465014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2465026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2039.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2465028  

Name:	IMG_2040.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	2465030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2465032  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
No matter what my LP, I can hear things not previously heard.
I'd expect that they sound better than what you had, they are designed by a competent person and use good parts, the off axis response is important and a part of the speaker design process, along with balancing other trade-offs.

Quote:
This was a lot of fun. And I can't wait till I build the Volt's when they become more available.

Glad, good to hear that you persevered through the tweeter issue.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-06-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Looks great!

-7 on avr seems about right. The more sensitive the speaker the lower it will set the level. My F15s go all the way to the bottom -12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-06-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Looks great!

-7 on avr seems about right. The more sensitive the speaker the lower it will set the level. My F15s go all the way to the bottom -12.

So should I leave it as is? I adjusted everything +3 from XT32 settings.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
That's fine. Your "reference level" is just at -17 now instead of -20. Really doesn't matter much. It will also change the relative bass level for dynamic eq, but again, not worth worrying about.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Those look good, congrats on finishing them.

How big is you room? Trying to get a fell for how they would work for me, my theater room is about 12x14.

How do you like the mid-bass/bass output? I know they are meant for use with a sub, just wanting your impression.

I'm still on the fence between getting the HTMs or saving some money and going with Cobalts.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-09-2018, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
Those look good, congrats on finishing them.

How big is you room? Trying to get a fell for how they would work for me, my theater room is about 12x14.

How do you like the mid-bass/bass output? I know they are meant for use with a sub, just wanting your impression.

I'm still on the fence between getting the HTMs or saving some money and going with Cobalts.
My room is bigger than that (though not by much). Maybe 13 x 15 (ish) with a cathedral ceiling that slopes towards my MLP. I can't fully comment on the mid-bass/bass output since they are still very new and not broken in; the woofer cone is still super stiff. I am running an Cap2400, so I really dont need to worry. I am absolutely thrilled with the turnout and was in your position with respect the HTM/Fusion/Cobalts. I like to try new things, and since I saw hardly any builds on the Cobalt, and with a recommendation from Erich, I pulled the trigger. I wont be looking back

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
My room is bigger than that (though not by much). Maybe 13 x 15 (ish) with a cathedral ceiling that slopes towards my MLP. I can't fully comment on the mid-bass/bass output since they are still very new and not broken in; the woofer cone is still super stiff. I am running an Cap2400, so I really dont need to worry. I am absolutely thrilled with the turnout and was in your position with respect the HTM/Fusion/Cobalts. I like to try new things, and since I saw hardly any builds on the Cobalt, and with a recommendation from Erich, I pulled the trigger. I wont be looking back

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that helps. I'm still teetering, but may end up with the Cobalts just to save a little cash.

I'm building 4 VBSS subs, so I'll have the low end covered, just hoping the Coblats are punchy down to 80hz or so. If they work well with your Cap2400, they should keep up with my 4 subs.

I saw you mentioned building Volts as surrounds, did you see the Cobalt surround flat packs? If I do Cobalts for my LCR, I think I will go Cobalts all the way around.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-09-2018, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
Thanks, that helps. I'm still teetering, but may end up with the Cobalts just to save a little cash.

I'm building 4 VBSS subs, so I'll have the low end covered, just hoping the Coblats are punchy down to 80hz or so. If they work well with your Cap2400, they should keep up with my 4 subs.

I saw you mentioned building Volts as surrounds, did you see the Cobalt surround flat packs? If I do Cobalts for my LCR, I think I will go Cobalts all the way around.

Yes. That is what I used. 2 Cobalt MT flatpacks and 1 MTM.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What veneer and paint did you use? I might do something similar with my cobalts.

Audio: Denon AVR-X3400H - Behringer NX6000D | (LCR) DIYSoundGroup Cobalt 8s | generic surrounds (for now) | ULF: Marty cube w/ Ultimax UM18 | Mid-bass: Four JBL CS1214s sealed @ 1.5cf each
Automation: Fire Cube - Harmony Hub- Insteon Plugs - Sensi Thermostat
Video Image: TCL 55S517 - Roku - Fire Cube - Xbox One X
post #11 of 17 Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
What veneer and paint did you use? I might do something similar with my cobalts.

I had a buddy who does finish cabinet building and carpentry bring me some floor samples. I told him I wanted something in a darker wood with a zebra look and then he painted the fronts a flat black.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So my cobalts are finally done. Finally...

A couple of thoughts.

1. This was my first foray into building anything. Nothing about Erich's packaging needs to be reiterated. Borderline bomb proof.

2. As you can tell from some of the pics, I suck at using filler and sanding stuff.

3. Thankfully I had Matt Grant take care of my crossovers.

4. The veneer I choose with the flat black paint looks INCREDIBLE.

5. I didnt know how much polyfill to use, so I just shoved enough in until I thought that was enough. See the pics.

6. I used hot glue to secure the XO's to the bottom of the boxes. I don't see them every getting loose.

Now for the sound. They sound incredible. I am coming from a 6 year old set of HTD Level 3 speakers. I am finding that I am watching Live Die Repeat a full 10 notches lower on my Denon with the same volume. Absolutely crystal clear dialogue. I cranked them up and not once did my ears feel strained. Remained crystal clear. From everything I read, they will only get better as they get broken in (they are still super stiff). Off axis is non existent. No matter what my LP, I can hear things not previously heard. Here's something weird. After running XT32, they were set to -7db. So either they are super super efficient, or I have the worst room on earth (probably a combination). I didn't like that so I raised them up.

Anyways, I think this is one of the first cobalt builds and I will answer any questions as best I can. This was a lot of fun. And I can't wait till I build the Volt's when they become more available.
Is there any chance you could weigh these? I am looking at these for my new media room. I plan to build them into a floating shelf and need to factor in their weight to the build. Thanks in advance. JB
post #13 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams37 View Post
Is there any chance you could weigh these? I am looking at these for my new media room. I plan to build them into a floating shelf and need to factor in their weight to the build. Thanks in advance. JB

Ooof, Im sorry. I don't have a scale in my house.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams37 View Post
Based on kits with comparable dimensions and components, they are going to weigh ~20 pounds each for the MT. Keep in mind they are a rear ported design, which may not be ideal if the back of them will in close proximity to rear wall or within a confined space. I have the Helix Ribbon MT and also had issues using them in a built in media/bookshelf unit. You might consider the new HTM-8 or HT-8 models which are a few inches less in depth and front ported.
Beams37 likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bur05XP View Post
Based on kits with comparable dimensions and components, they are going to weigh ~20 pounds each for the MT. Keep in mind they are a rear ported design, which may not be ideal if the back of them will in close proximity to rear wall or within a confined space. I have the Helix Ribbon MT and also had issues using them in a built in media/bookshelf unit. You might consider the new HTM-8 or HT-8 models which are a few inches less in depth and front ported.
You might be able to get a fusion 8s as well I think Erich has uploaded the Fusion 8 center. My guess is he may also have Fusion 8 TMs available as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Beams37 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyandersen View Post
You might be able to get a fusion 8s as well I think Erich has uploaded the Fusion 8 center. My guess is he may also have Fusion 8 TMs available as well.

Fusion 8 center is available -- I just bought one. Also he still has some cinema 8s available so my guess is he might have the fusion 8 TMs as well.

Beams37 likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyandersen View Post
Fusion 8 center is available -- I just bought one. Also he still has some cinema 8s available so my guess is he might have the fusion 8 TMs as well.

Thanks for the insights. i didn't even notice the rear ports. I will take a look at the Fusions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page