4D Theater effect of wind swirling in the home theater - Fans/Blowers/Discussion - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #61 of 174 Old 12-20-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
It plays DC-25Hz. Best mounted in it's own chamber/room (IB) with an output hole just big enough to fit the blade diameter. Look up Thigpen Rotary Subwoofer ($35,000).

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 174 Old 12-21-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4162 Post(s)
Liked: 3983
next stop:
https://www.amazon.com/eTauro-6-Outl...ct_top?ie=UTF8

ordered.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #63 of 174 Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so the eTauro works.
https://www.amazon.com/eTauro-6-Outl...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It works too good. Its going off on all the LFE notes to some slight degree which isn’t what I want either. It is source sharing off the subwoofer 2 LFE output with my nearfield and BOSS transducer setup on my current configuration. In that config I arrived to a quick testing conclusion that you’d need some intelligence mapped to when the fans come on and not just deep or continuous bass levels. At least not at the source drive levels and related wind levels that squirrel cage Lasko fan produces (even on low) as I watched through some of my favorite demo clips.

The effect is powerful. Played on something like the How to Train your Dragon 3 secret Dragon world entrance it’s truly incredible and makes you smile. The wind and bass make you feel like you are there riding the dragons around the edge of the waterfall in the middle of the sea. The kids and I loved it there, but played in a clip like the Interstellar launch when they are all inside the cockpit, it makes no sense. Also in an explosion, the fan air feels cool, which doesn’t make sense. I guess it’s not something that was a problem with the ported captivator subs because you rarely felt the wind, and when you did it was at super intense bass levels and it felt very natural — almost as if the extreme bass levels themselves were doing it, vs just when there is bass, any bass at all getting a subtle to hair blowing breeze.

So I think I’d still need to use the remote controlled outlet to turn the whole thing on and off independently at my manual discretion. Which is still novel, but surely not automated or ideal.

I think for next test I need a way to get the LFE levels reduced. — a third dedicated subwoofer output would be ideal. Maybe a optical output to an old or cheap receiver optical input and use the second receiver’s LFE for dedicated volume control? But then, I’m still needing manual control to avoid wind when wind doesn't make sense.
@SOWK ,
Dbox have any channel information that could be used for this purpose?

The project is starting to feel like a dead end outside of some sort of pre-programmed wind track that just isn’t at all feasible.
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-23-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 174 Old 12-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@SOWK ,
D-Box uses the main audio track of the source, then connects to D-Box's motion code library, and pulls the proprietary vibration and motion from their servers.

Unfortunately this will not help you with your endeavor.

A separate processor can help as you would have separate LFE controls and master volume controls. But you still really cant have it auto turn off when you think it shouldn't be used.

You would have to design a separate "Wind" track and match it up in movies where you would want the wind to be on vs off.

A hell of a lot of work.
Archaea likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #65 of 174 Old 12-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
@Archaea I like the idea though and might not be that hard with a little dedication.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #66 of 174 Old 12-28-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked: 4833
Quote:
Okay so the eTauro works. It works too good. Its going off on all the LFE notes to some slight degree which isn’t what I want either. It is source sharing off the subwoofer 2 LFE output with my nearfield and BOSS transducer setup on my current configuration. In that config I arrived to a quick testing conclusion that you’d need some intelligence mapped to when the fans come on and not just deep or continuous bass levels. At least not at the source drive levels and related wind levels that squirrel cage Lasko fan produces (even on low) as I watched through some of my favorite demo clips.

The effect is powerful. Played on something like the How to Train your Dragon 3 secret Dragon world entrance it’s truly incredible and makes you smile. The wind and bass make you feel like you are there riding the dragons around the edge of the waterfall in the middle of the sea. The kids and I loved it there, but played in a clip like the Interstellar launch when they are all inside the cockpit, it makes no sense. Also in an explosion, the fan air feels cool, which doesn’t make sense. I guess it’s not something that was a problem with the ported captivator subs because you rarely felt the wind, and when you did it was at super intense bass levels and it felt very natural — almost as if the extreme bass levels themselves were doing it, vs just when there is bass, any bass at all getting a subtle to hair blowing breeze.

So I think I’d still need to use the remote controlled outlet to turn the whole thing on and off independently at my manual discretion. Which is still novel, but surely not automated or ideal.

I think for next test I need a way to get the LFE levels reduced. — a third dedicated subwoofer output would be ideal. Maybe a optical output to an old or cheap receiver optical input and use the second receiver’s LFE for dedicated volume control? But then, I’m still needing manual control to avoid wind when wind doesn't make sense.
@SOWK ,

The project is starting to feel like a dead end outside of some sort of pre-programmed wind track that just isn’t at all feasible.
Love this project
So, am i getting this right: you have these fans on a sub out from your AVR with no EQ/ LPF after that?
That mat be why it doesn’t work as good. As with TR devices you NEED a Minidsp !! If you haven’t already, get a 2x4 HD!! (This will also enable you to use BEQ, also a MUST!!)
My guess is you could use a lower LPF than you subs, say like 30-40hz, and maybe some boost down low(sub-20hz). This will prevent the fans from activating all the time, on higher frequencies. And of course you can shape the curve to where the fans give most/best effect.

I think you are half way there. In fact so much so, i am thinking of ordering these parts myself

Earlier i had a SVS PB12/2 Plus, and i loved having the ports in my direction, because of the port wind. But i noted that i only felt that wind on extreme low notes, like below maybe 12-15 hz. So that may be the area to focus on

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #67 of 174 Old 12-28-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 5632
Hey @Nalleh – can you imagine that wind blowing effect on the Polar Express 3D like we were talking about the other day …like when it looks and feels like you’re on that eagles back going over that water fall (probably similar to what Archaea was saying about HTTYD 3) and flying straight down fast (this could apply to Avatar too, as we know there is tons of ULF in it w/ BEQ), and when the camera goes under the train following the ticket , and that run-away train up and down those tracks at crazy speed (IIRC, with BEQ there was some really low stuff in this area, and I know there was on the other areas I mentioned). But then again (like Jonathan mentioned about some scenes), not quite sure if it would feel quite right (or as cool I should say) to have a ton of wind blowing on you like when the train first pulls up at the beginning of the movie since you’re inside the house for example. BEQ brings massive ULF in the 10-17hz area in this scene, with 15hz being the strongest.

A large majority of these movies have so much ULF spread throughout with BEQ, that that we'd all be getting wind blown quite frequently (if its set to activate on 16-17hz and under ULF anyway (or even single digit ULF). Hmmmm

Awesome stuff @Archaea !! Since you like it so much and now has Nalleh’s interest peaked, I know it’s gotta be some good stuff!!!
aron7awol and Nalleh like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #68 of 174 Old 12-28-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

4D Theater effect of wind swirling in the home theater - Fans/Blowers/Discussion

I think I’ll like it perfected, but without a dedicated track it is probably a gimmick. SOWK and I were talking via text, if one had the time/energy they could pretty trivially edit the movie sound track in advance to mute during anything that shouldn’t have wind, and then play the custom second track back in parallel via a HTPC or other device connected solely to the fan controller, even giving the custom track a 500ms advance to eliminate any wind arrival issues. (Which really isn’t a real world problem with the squirrel cage fan because it spins up so fast)

However all that is a lot of work, and would of course not work on any movie that didn’t have a custom track prepared.

A minidsp and eq’ing out anything above 20hz is probably worth trying. That was my original idea at the beginning of this thread with a implementation variation. I wanted to use an amplifier to drive the fan, like my iNuke dsp amps, but was told when a fan first starts it would put too much strain on the amp. So getting DSP in the mix is a logical next step. I might have to arrange a test date with Sheldon. @carp . I could bring the lasko fan and etauro unit over to trial run on your mini dsp, since I don’t have one.
SBuger and Nalleh like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-28-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #69 of 174 Old 12-29-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ With DSP/EQ i don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be able to make it behave like the wind from a ported sub. Which i found worked very "in tune" with what happened on screen.
Archaea, SBuger and aron7awol like this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #70 of 174 Old 12-29-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I’ll like it perfected, but without a dedicated track it is probably a gimmick. SOWK and I were talking via text, if one had the time/energy they could pretty trivially edit the movie sound track in advance to mute during anything that shouldn’t have wind, and then play the custom second track back in parallel via a HTPC or other device connected solely to the fan controller, even giving the custom track a 500ms advance to eliminate any wind arrival issues. (Which really isn’t a real world problem with the squirrel cage fan because it spins up so fast)

However all that is a lot of work, and would of course not work on any movie that didn’t have a custom track prepared...
If you could standardize the procedure, the extra track editing could be done during re-recording, and be on the discs when consumers buy them. You can license it to the studios as Archaea4D, and market a fan kit.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #71 of 174 Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I would think a DSP would be a must for the fan, especially if one didn’t or couldn’t do the track editing thing.

Hey Jonathan, no interest in BEQ yet? If not, I find that interesting coming from you. You’ve experienced Sheldon's setup with BEQ & BOSS's right? I would think you wouldn’t be getting much ULF action from your BOSS without it on most movies, except on the better 5 star full band monsters like TIH

Of course, one can always use the DSP in the iNuke with a LS to lift the lower end, in combo with the roll off/LPF over 20-30hz and lifted gain/levels to help bring ULF up. But it’s still a general House Curve that may be too much on some content and still not nearly enough on others. The beauty of BEQ is that its tailored for each to get it just right.

If one is ULF capable and can bring the TR goods down this low, I can’t imagine being without BEQ. It has me spoiled rotten. For example, I’ve been going through all the Marvels in order and they all pretty much feel like TIH. TIH is hard to beat for quality and quantity, but they hold their own pretty darn well which is just super awesome IMO.

I know we all have our reasons why we do and don’t do certain things and not trying to turn this into a BEQ thing/debate, was just curious since I don’t think I’ve seen you show it any love yet on AVS lol Maybe Ive just missed it though, as I dont always get around everywhere and miss things.
aron7awol and Nalleh like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #72 of 174 Old 12-29-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Agreed BEQ is such a must now, it is hopeless without it.
SBuger and aron7awol like this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #73 of 174 Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 729 Post(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked: 3541
Quote:

However all that is a lot of work, and would of course not work on any movie that didn’t have a custom track prepared.

A minidsp and eq’ing out anything above 20hz is probably worth trying. That was my original idea at the beginning of this thread with a implementation variation. I wanted to use an amplifier to drive the fan, like my iNuke dsp amps, but was told when a fan first starts it would put too much strain on the amp. So getting DSP in the mix is a logical next step. I might have to arrange a test date with Sheldon. @carp . I could bring the lasko fan and etauro unit over to trial run on your mini dsp, since I don’t have one.
@Archaea

Oops, I missed this for some reason, I'd be up for trying this our for sure! I'll talk to you tomorrow about figuring out when we can do this.
post #74 of 174 Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger
I know we all have our reasons why we do and don’t do certain things and not trying to turn this into a BEQ thing/debate, was just curious since I don’t think I’ve seen you show it any love yet on AVS lol
I'm not him, but the issue for me is inconvenience. I don't plan ahead what movies I want to watch, it's usually a decision made shortly before actually watching it. If there were a way to have an app in which I could select the movie, send it wirelessly to the necessary device, and then be off, I think everyone would do it. But to know what I want to watch ahead of time, connect a PC via a cable to a minidsp, load the settings for that movie, enjoy the movie, then remember to switch the minidsp back to a default setting, etc, just seems too inconvenient.
post #75 of 174 Old 01-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 3164
I always that doing that extra something for more bass or a better bass experience is what us bass nuts would want. It all depends how far one is willing to go for their best experience and only we can figure that out ourselves. I keep it simple, Do I show off certain movies over others, yes, than why, because it has loud fullbandwidth bass. If this is the case who wouldn't love to be able to do this for any movie, especailly for people you are trying to show what a movie should sound like. Say their favorite movie was Avengers and you present it with TIH type bass they will never want to go to another movie again.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
post #76 of 174 Old 01-05-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I'm not him, but the issue for me is inconvenience. I don't plan ahead what movies I want to watch, it's usually a decision made shortly before actually watching it. If there were a way to have an app in which I could select the movie, send it wirelessly to the necessary device, and then be off, I think everyone would do it. But to know what I want to watch ahead of time, connect a PC via a cable to a minidsp, load the settings for that movie, enjoy the movie, then remember to switch the minidsp back to a default setting, etc, just seems too inconvenient.
I guess I’m just not used to thinking that way. I’ve always got a laptop handy anyway and am used to making any quick changes I may want or need on the fly to whatever via miniDSP even before BEQ came along, so second nature I guess you could say. But I can see your point if you don’t have access to all that or don’t want to fiddle with any of it.

But, that said, yep ….the BEQ crew has made it pretty easy now if you do have a laptop or PC nearby. Just download some software (BEQ designer) and it’ll download all the movie and TV show BEQ settings and can be selected from a list. Once setup, a movie can be selected and loaded just as fast if not faster than loading a disc into your player and getting the movie going etc. Plus it'll even merge it with your House Curve if you run one and/or any of your settings for your subs and other ...pretty slick. There’s even a wi-fi gadget to eliminate cables from the computer to the mini if you hate cables.

But like MK said, it just comes down to how important is it to you to get the best full band bass experience possible from your setup with the movies you watch. For me, it’s so worth it and doesn’t take much time at all since I need a mini in my setup anyway and have a laptop easily assessable. Now that I’ve experienced what it can do with a bunch of movies that drop off pretty bad (or even if they’re good to 20hz or so), I just can’t imagine being without it.

But to each their own for sure, was just curious, especially since we are all so ULF TR capable these days with the BOSS and all that.

post #77 of 174 Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I had some thoughts on this.

First, turning the motor on and off quickly is going to kill the motor in that fan in short order.

I feel like what you want is a constantly running fan, with some kind of air stop (opening and closing blinds) that are run by a servo motor, actuated by an Arduino/Raspberry Pi.

So the idea would be to put the fan behind the wall with a small rectangular duct that opens to the theater room. When you want to watch a movie you turn the fan on and by default the blind doors are closed. As bass hits happen, the hardware (Arduino/Pi) detects the level and opens up the blinds accordingly.

I wish I had time to dig into this project, but I'm no Arduino expert. However, this is a good start:
https://www.instructables.com/id/HVA...ooling-Contro/

That, in conjunction with this:
https://www.instructables.com/howto/VU+meter/

Seems like it would get you most of the way pretty inexpensively.
Archaea likes this.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #78 of 174 Old 01-06-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
I had some thoughts on this.

First, turning the motor on and off quickly is going to kill the motor in that fan in short order.

I feel like what you want is a constantly running fan, with some kind of air stop (opening and closing blinds) that are run by a servo motor, actuated by an Arduino/Raspberry Pi.

So the idea would be to put the fan behind the wall with a small rectangular duct that opens to the theater room. When you want to watch a movie you turn the fan on and by default the blind doors are closed. As bass hits happen, the hardware (Arduino/Pi) detects the level and opens up the blinds accordingly.

I wish I had time to dig into this project, but I'm no Arduino expert. However, this is a good start:
https://www.instructables.com/id/HVA...ooling-Contro/

That, in conjunction with this:
https://www.instructables.com/howto/VU+meter/

Seems like it would get you most of the way pretty inexpensively.
...and a secondary duct that vents outside the theater room to unload the fan. When one duct is open, the other is closed.

post #79 of 174 Old 01-06-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 618 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked: 15455
As I saw the real progress happening in this thread a couple weeks ago, I was thinking that it was a perfect match for BEQ. Now I'm checking in on the thread again, and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that!

I do think the wind thing will suffer from some of the similar things I deal with when designing BEQs for subs & TR, striking the proper balance of beneficial content vs. not. For subs & TR, it usually comes down to music sometimes becoming too much so I have to identify that during design, with wind I think it will add one additional wrinkle/compromise where certain things (like the Interstellar launch mentioned) just don't really match well with wind, while others do, and I don't think it will necessarily come down to frequency. So there will only be so much you can do with certain mixes, where you might have to accept wind during something like the launch in order to get it during the black hole scene or during explosions or something where it is really beneficial. Unless of course you do take the time to thoroughly test tracks and pick specific effects to keep for wind when removing others, but that's obviously a ton more work. I could do the same for BEQ, but I find I can get us 95% of the way there without taking things to that extreme.

In any case, this is an awesome idea and great execution! I'd love to try it out!
carp, Archaea, SBuger and 1 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #80 of 174 Old 01-07-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I folded and ordered two lasko fans and the eTauro unit... Damn !
(Also ordered a inverter, since no 120V here)

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #81 of 174 Old 01-09-2020, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
https://www.instructables.com/id/Cir...ts-With-Music/

ensure the voltage ranges are matched (output device and relay). dsp signal shape (high/low pass) around the frequencies where you want the wind to blow. i'm not sure how well a fan is going to do switched on and off like that because of the reason mentioned earlier. a secondary circuit that would allow the fan to at least spin slowly with no signal might be advantageous.
Yeah, running the fan at "idle" when no signal could help.

Also the Lasko fans has 3 speed settings. IF you could tap into that, instead of a single on/off signal, you would get a 3-step signal.

Controlling it would be more work, though.....

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #82 of 174 Old 01-09-2020, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

4D Theater effect of wind swirling in the home theater - Fans/Blowers/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
I folded and ordered two lasko fans and the eTauro unit... Damn !

(Also ordered a inverter, since no 120V here)

I look forward to hearing about your experimentation.

For a cheap giggle, I’ve currently got my Lasko fan on a remote-controlled electrical outlet with a very small hand held remote. If I know the material ahead of time - like How to Train your Dragon. I can feather the fan manually to the audiences’ enjoyment — whenever appropriate. Not the greatest solution, but good for an unexpected smile from my guests and kids/family. I think you’ll want an overall on/off remote toggle of some sort, unless you can really get the mini-dsp dialed in nicely.

Carp and I haven’t had the opportunity yet to meet up to try using a mini-dsp to control the wind effect, but we will probably find a time this month to make it happen.

At this point, with my manual control method, its a fun, inexpensive novelty gag. I’m glad you’ve engaged with the purchase and will attempt to experiment with ways to make it work too. I think the more people experimenting the more chance of success we have.
Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-09-2020 at 06:03 AM.
post #83 of 174 Old 01-09-2020, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ummmm. 4D misting fan option. (Yeah its not a good idea for so many reasons)

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-7050-Mi...NJ26KFNW&psc=1

But:
For this clip it’d almost be worth it.

Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-09-2020 at 05:58 AM.
post #84 of 174 Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 412 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5802 Post(s)
Liked: 5660
Quote:
Ummmm. 4D misting fan option. (Yeah its not a good idea for so many reasons)

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-7050-Mi...NJ26KFNW&psc=1

But:
For this clip it’d almost be worth it.

https://youtu.be/gJZJmYC9g04
I think it's the shrek ride at disney that mists something all over you. It's so funny if you know it's coming to watch someone.
Archaea likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #85 of 174 Old 01-15-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ta-daaa

More stuff coming in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1EE75C0-B123-4000-B6CA-88081DFC16A6.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	2670392  

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #86 of 174 Old 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 618 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked: 15455
Quote:
Ta-daaa

More stuff coming in
Everyone prepare for @Nalleh to try 100 different things with that fan I love your drive, brother! It's truly inspiring!

Mount it to the ceiling right above your head!
SBuger and Nalleh like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #87 of 174 Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They will be tested alright

First impressions: They are big! And noisy!

But remarkably effective!!!! They blow wind instantly! And almost no degrading over 10 ft !!!!

May have to wait for the weekend to try out more

BTW: @Archaea : did you notice that the 3 outputs on the eTauro has different frequenzy areas ? Where F0 is up to 500hz
SBuger likes this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #88 of 174 Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They will be tested alright [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

First impressions: They are big! And noisy!

But remarkably effective!!!! They blow wind instantly! And almost no degrading over 10 ft !!!!

May have to wait for the weekend to try out more [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

BTW: @Archaea : did you notice that the 3 outputs on the eTauro has different frequenzy areas ? Where F0 is up to 500hz [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
On low its not noisy enough to be heard over the sound track IMO — even if the movie is low volume
Yeah — but I’ve only tried it on the LFE output. So I’ve fed it nothing higher frequency.
SBuger likes this.

post #89 of 174 Old 01-16-2020, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On low its not noisy enough to be heard over the sound track IMO — even if the movie is low volume
Yeah — but I’ve only tried it on the LFE output. So I’ve fed it nothing higher frequency.
Agreed, when watching movies it shouldn’t be a problem. I measured with my phone app, and it was between 60(level1) and 70dB(level3), so when the bass hit is 80-90 + dB it should be fine.

BTW, i read a review where he claimed the low and mid FR outputs where switched on his unit! So F1 was the LFE output! Might be worth checking out if it felt strange on F0

And yes, i believe low level should be plenty, amazingly focused and effective wind "beam"

Ohh, and as you can see i got the 4900 version, not the 4905 as you have. They were pretty much the same in all aspects, and were cheaper on Amazon

Do you have one or two fans?
SBuger likes this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<

Last edited by Nalleh; 01-16-2020 at 02:31 AM.
post #90 of 174 Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Just one so far.

I’ll measure mine at some point but I’ll be surprised if mine is 90ish dB even on high. Was that spl measurement at the seat or near the fan?

How far is you seat from the fan?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page