4D Theater effect of wind swirling in the home theater - Fans/Blowers/Discussion - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 200Likes

post #151 of 202 Old 05-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Added Mummy, The (1999)

https://pastebin.com/u/SOWK

Thanks for the uploads! Did you get your iguana IR transmitter yet? Any luck getting it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 202 Old 05-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Yeah it is the only one I recommend now. Way better than the IR TOY

Buy 1-2 of their hand made IR Emitter cables as well and you should be good to go.
feistyacorn likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #153 of 202 Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah it is the only one I recommend now. Way better than the IR TOY

Buy 1-2 of their hand made IR Emitter cables as well and you should be good to go.

Great! I’ll get one. Started building the fan covers today. Once I’m up and running I’ll start working on fan files

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 202 Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added Twister (1996)

Archaea and feistyacorn like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #155 of 202 Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Added Twister (1996)

That one should definitely give the fans a workout!
Archaea and feistyacorn like this.
post #156 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
Okay. I ran a test run without the IR blaster. The program picked up my movie right away and time stamped it perfectly. It’s perfectly in sync with my dbox HEMC. Next step is buying fan and IR. I’ll wait on the IR to see what you think is best.

I am definitely going to try this out - I happen to already have the same fan and just need the IR transmitter to control it so ordered the Iguana. I primarily use Plex on Shield as my media player, but I do have Kodi with the Plex addon installed. If I am understanding correctly, as long as I have the Kodi web interface enabled, this should still work using the Kodi setting in the fan controller app right? I'll try testing this out later tonight to see if its able to sync up like you mentioned without having the IR portion working.

Quote:
Likely it will be up to the community to make the fan files.

Some movies would be quick, others like Star Wars took me about an hour, and I have not yet tested it live yet either.

Plus for huge triple A titles there might be a conglomeration of input from multiple people.

And the files I made are just my interpretation of where I feel the fans should turn on. Others might want the fans more or less.
How did you create the windtracks? Do you watch the movie at like 1.5x-2x and jot down scenes where it would be appropriate for the fan? It would be cool to have an app where you can preview the movie and have some simple buttons/workflow to tag the fan settings at specific timestamps and then export the windtrack. Maybe have an import function as well so that you can modify existing tracks easily for those who want to tweak the fan settings.

Current Setup: 5.2.2 ATMOS setup using Polk RTI12s for LR, CSI-A6 Center, 2x RTI-A3 Surrounds, 2x Jamo SUR speakers for ATMOS, Dual SVS SB12-NSD, Denon X2200W, miniDSP 2x4HD, BenQ HT1075, 130" screen, Nvidia Shield (2017), DIY acoustic panels. Things to upgrade: AVR to Denon X4500H or X3600H, Monolith/Emotiva/Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel amp, BOSS riser +iNuke, upgrade to 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 ATMOS, Dual DIY subwoofers
post #157 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Both should work.

The Dual socket has a built in reciever and 2 ports for 2 emitters.

This whole fan system only needs an emitter, unless you want to buy different fans, then you will need to capture the new IR commands for yourself to make a new .cf file, but the built in reciever is sufficient for that.

The socket receive doesn't come with a built in reciever, so you would need to spend a bit more to buy the reciever if you need to capture new IR commands, so IMO the dual socket makes the most sense.

IMO some people might even need 2 emitters to more easily each both their fans on the left and right.

For this project nobody should need an external receiver, but if you think you might repurpose your IR transceiver for something else you might want an external receiver.
@SOWK

Hey! So I got the iguana IR blaster today but having trouble integrating it with winLIRC. Where do I find the device ID? Are there any other drivers that I have to install? Right now when I press okay in WinLIRC it says that it’s failed to initialize. Thanks for your help!

post #158 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

The wind tracks are easy to make.

Simple .txt file with the same name as the movie you are watching.

Example:

123.mkv Will need the a fan file of 123.txt

Commands for the fan are easy as well

timestamp,command

Example:

00:00:01,ECO
00:00:02,LOW
00:00:03,MED
00:00:04,HIGH
00:00:05,OFF

The pastebin is just the raw text data. copy & paste into a txt file and go nuts!

SOWK Home Theater
post #159 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
@SOWK

Hey! So I got the iguana IR blaster today but having trouble integrating it with winLIRC. Where do I find the device ID? Are there any other drivers that I have to install? Right now when I press okay in WinLIRC it says that it’s failed to initialize. Thanks for your help!

Make sure you install the Iguana Software from their site.

Then try it again. I just used Device ID 0

SOWK Home Theater
post #160 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
@SOWK

Download a new zip file from here:
https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/WinLIRC.zip

I updated it to contain everything you need and should just work.

Run the iguana driver install exe, and run the install.reg

Then you should be able to run the winlirc.exe and it should not error.

It should create a grey circle icon down by your clock (might be hidden in the little up arrow). You can open this and select the remote from the dropdown and a code and try sending it.

You can also go to reconfigure and change some settings like the IR channels and device ID in the plugin setup. With 1 USB stick it should be ID 0. If you plug a single emitter into the top port it should be channel 1, if you plug into the bottom port it should be channel 3. In order to use channel 2 and 4, you need stereo to mono adapters. Do not try to use channel 2 or 4 without adapters as they will suck away a lot of the transmit power if you don't actually have 4 emitters and adapters connected.
Archaea likes this.
post #161 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Download a new zip file from here:

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/WinLIRC.zip

I updated it to contain everything you need and should just work.

Run the iguana driver install exe, and run the install.reg

Then you should be able to run the winlirc.exe and it should not error.

It should create a grey circle icon down by your clock (might be hidden in the little up arrow). You can open this and select the remote from the dropdown and a code and try sending it.

You can also go to reconfigure and change some settings like the IR channels and device ID in the plugin setup. With 1 USB stick it should be ID 0. If you plug a single emitter into the top port it should be channel 1, if you plug into the bottom port it should be channel 3. In order to use channel 2 and 4, you need stereo to mono adapters. Do not try to use channel 2 or 4 without adapters as they will suck away a lot of the transmit power if you don't actually have 4 emitters and adapters connected.

Okay- so IR is configured and is working now when I test directly from WinLIRC- I select the remote and a command and send a test to the fan and works perfect. However, when I’m running it through the fan app with a movie playing it’s not sending the commands. I’m running through kodi. It’s connected, finds the movie and says it’s issuing the commands but nothing happens. The fan application is seeing winLIRC as the red warning goes away once I open it. Im using fan app 1.1 FYI. Any suggestions?

post #162 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay- so IR is configured and is working now when I test directly from WinLIRC- I select the remote and a command and send a test to the fan and works perfect. However, when I’m running it through the fan app with a movie playing it’s not sending the commands. I’m running through kodi. It’s connected, finds the movie and says it’s issuing the commands but nothing happens. The fan application is seeing winLIRC as the red warning goes away once I open it. Im using fan app 1.1 FYI. Any suggestions?

I think I see what's the problem.

Re-download it again:
https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/HTFanControl.v1.1.zip

It's because SOWK renamed the fan to "EHF10127B" when before it was just called "fan". The program was never meant for more than SOWK and it was hard coded with all sorts of stuff.

Honestly I should have never OK'd the program to be given out in it's current state, that's my fault.

I am in the process of completely rewriting it from the ground up anyways so I don't really want to mess with that old one. Just understand it was hacked together as fast as possible in a couple days to have in time for a certain demo. I didn't really think through it well enough when I said it was OK to post it here.

For now I changed it even though I could have also asked you to rename the fan remote name to "fan" in the config file too. Changing the program to use the name "EHF10127B" in the current downloaded config file seemed less confusing for now.

Last edited by SirMaster; 05-22-2020 at 12:43 PM.
post #163 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 2931
Quote:

Re-download it again:

It's because SOWK renamed the fan to "EHF10127B" when before it was just called "fan". The program was never meant for more than SOWK and it was hard coded with all sorts of stuff.

Honestly I should have never OK'd the program to be given out in it's current state, that's my fault.

I am in the process of completely rewriting it from the ground up anyways so I don't really want to mess with that old one. Just understand it was hacked together as fast as possible in a couple days to have in time for a certain demo. I didn't really think through it well enough when I said it was OK to post it here.

For now I changed it even though I could have also asked you to rename the fan remote name to "fan" in the config file too. Changing the program to use the name "EHF10127B" in the current downloaded config file seemed less confusing for now.
Do you have the program closed source or is up somewhere? I'm curious to take a look to see if I can eventually get it to run on my Mac or my Synology that hosts my media. Hmm, a dedicated RPi might be an interesting solution too. Print a custom case that holds it along with the other hardware. I feel a rabbit hole forming.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #164 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Do you have the program closed source or is up somewhere? I'm curious to take a look to see if I can eventually get it to run on my Mac or my Synology that hosts my media. Hmm, a dedicated RPi might be an interesting solution too. Print a custom case that holds it along with the other hardware. I feel a rabbit hole forming.
Understand the program that was posted here is a 100% hacked together in 2 days proof of concept program not meant for anyone other than SOWK and his specific setup.

The code is barely readable or understandable and doesn't do things very efficiently. It's entirely unmaintainable. There would be no point in posting the source code.

I said it was OK to post here but I didn't want to give any support for it. I didn't think carefully enough about it when I said that it would be OK to post it. It wasn't anywhere near ready. When I finish the ground up re-write, then it will be ready.

As I said, I'm in the process of rewriting it from the ground up in .net core, so it will work everywhere (win, mac, linux). And it will use a web UI to configure and control. (though I don't think a Synology is a good candidate as I doubt you will get the IR device to work on that).

A RasPi is probably going to be the ideal device to run the program and IR from for people who don't have a Windows PC set up conveniently enough to use in their home theater.

I will most likely be releasing the source code of the rebuilt cross-platform program as well.
DesertDog and feistyacorn like this.
post #165 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Re-download it again:

That did the trick!!! Thank you so much it’s up and running. It really adds a lot to the movie. I understand that these are early days for the program but we are grateful to have an early test of it. Totally understandable If things don’t go 100 percent. Looking forward to future developments!

Archaea, SOWK, SirMaster and 1 others like this.
post #166 of 202 Old 05-22-2020, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Understand the program that was posted here is a 100% hacked together in 2 days proof of concept program not meant for anyone other than SOWK and his specific setup.

The code is barely readable or understandable and doesn't do things very efficiently. It's entirely unmaintainable. There would be no point in posting the source code.

I said it was OK to post here but I didn't want to give any support for it. I didn't think carefully enough about it when I said that it would be OK to post it. It wasn't anywhere near ready. When I finish the ground up re-write, then it will be ready.

As I said, I'm in the process of rewriting it from the ground up in .net core, so it will work everywhere (win, mac, linux). And it will use a web UI to configure and control. (though I don't think a Synology is a good candidate as I doubt you will get the IR device to work on that).

A RasPi is probably going to be the ideal device to run the program and IR from for people who don't have a Windows PC set up conveniently enough to use in their home theater.

I will most likely be releasing the source code of the rebuilt cross-platform program as well.
Ok, cool. I wasn't sure what state the current version is in. I'll wait to see for the new one.

I agree that the RPi will probably be the best solution for it. A small bundle can be built that mixes in with everything else. The Synology definitely won't work for it. Not only is it going to be difficult from the IO perspective for the IR device, it's also 60' away in another room. I don't keep physical hard drives in the same room as the bass.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #167 of 202 Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Ok, cool. I wasn't sure what state the current version is in. I'll wait to see for the new one.

I agree that the RPi will probably be the best solution for it. A small bundle can be built that mixes in with everything else. The Synology definitely won't work for it. Not only is it going to be difficult from the IO perspective for the IR device, it's also 60' away in another room. I don't keep physical hard drives in the same room as the bass.

Definitely agree that raspberry pi will be the best solution, but just as an idea I currently set up a wireless IR transmitter because my HTPC is not near my theater room either. It works well and the response is instant- nice solution for now

http://BAFX Products - RF Wireless I...p_mob_ap_share

post #168 of 202 Old 05-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added: Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 05-25-2020 at 05:47 PM.
post #169 of 202 Old 05-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added : Crawl (2019)

SOWK Home Theater
post #170 of 202 Old 05-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added: Independence Day (1996)

Mike_WI likes this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #171 of 202 Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added: Interstellar (2014)

feistyacorn and enovison like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #172 of 202 Old 05-27-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That did the trick!!! Thank you so much it’s up and running. It really adds a lot to the movie. I understand that these are early days for the program but we are grateful to have an early test of it. Totally understandable If things don’t go 100 percent. Looking forward to future developments!

@SOWK

Hey guys- so I was working on the wind track for Star Wars episode 7 today and thought of an idea. I have some LED lighting around my theater room. Thought it would be a great addition to be able to trigger some scene/animation on these lights (zigbee, zwave, etc) to match the action on the screen- like when the laser blasters (red , green) are being fired during Star Wars that random flashes of the appropriate color would occur throughout the room.

Thoughts?

post #173 of 202 Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@SOWK

Hey guys- so I was working on the wind track for Star Wars episode 7 today and thought of an idea. I have some LED lighting around my theater room. Thought it would be a great addition to be able to trigger some scene/animation on these lights (zigbee, zwave, etc) to match the action on the screen- like when the laser blasters (red , green) are being fired during Star Wars that random flashes of the appropriate color would occur throughout the room.

Thoughts?

Unless you can control your lights with IR it's pretty outside the scope of the current programming. I have another program I wrote that controls several devices over IP control so I am familiar with that too and if you can control them over IP control that can be a possibility.

I will say though that I won't be looking at working on adding anything like this until the fan control part is solid and has all the features I want it to have and everyone can easily use it on things like a RasPi.
Archaea, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
post #174 of 202 Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@SOWK

Thoughts?
It works better in theory than in practice. I have active bias lighting on my TV which is great. I like it a lot Currently using an HDFurry Diva for it and prior to that I had a DreamScreen. I also have Phillips Hue lights for all of the lighting in my theater room. So I always wanted to get them tied together.

Before DreamScreen went out of business they had an add-on box that I was beta testing a pre-release version of that allowed the DS to control lights in a Hue Entertainment zone in addition to the TV's LEDs. From a technical stand point it worked well but from a practical standpoint it was a flop to me. Having lights change around the room was more of a distraction than an enhancement and I pretty much dumped the idea.

One lighting tie in that I don have though and love is the Hue plugin for Emby. It cause my lights to automatically go to the "watching movie" scene when I press play or unpause, the lights come on when play stops, and I have a lower light dimmed scene set for when the movie gets paused. It's been really nice since I set that up.
feistyacorn likes this.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #175 of 202 Old 05-28-2020, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
It works better in theory than in practice. I have active bias lighting on my TV which is great. I like it a lot Currently using an HDFurry Diva for it and prior to that I had a DreamScreen. I also have Phillips Hue lights for all of the lighting in my theater room. So I always wanted to get them tied together.

I'm sure you're aware of this DD. No idea if it's of any use, but I just saw this article: Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box gets support for IR remotes, Dolby Vision/HDR10+, and voice control
post #176 of 202 Old 05-28-2020, 11:07 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

@enovison

And everyone else...

If you make fan files please post them here and I will add to the postebin site and Index!
enovison likes this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #177 of 202 Old 05-29-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 655 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4176 Post(s)
Liked: 3989
Quote:
@SOWK

Thoughts?

Something like this might be right up your alley!

https://www.dreamscreentv.com/

Let me know what you think... @SOWK - if you wrapped your screen, I could see this being a nice addition in your room too. It wouldn't work with my room because my front wall has different colors and textures behind and around the projection screen.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #178 of 202 Old 05-29-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Something like this might be right up your alley!

https://www.dreamscreentv.com/

Let me know what you think... @SOWK - if you wrapped your screen, I could see this being a nice addition in your room too. It wouldn't work with my room because my front wall has different colors and textures behind and around the projection screen.
Dreamscreen is no more. They went out of business over a year ago. I'm surprised the site is still running. I have one, it's the old system that I was talking about where I had a beta product from them to also control my Hue lights. If you want to do active bias lighting like that the best option now is the HDFurry Diva. It works great and they have amazing support. The thread here on AVS is monitored by @HDfury and is very active with answering question and fixing issues. I'm really happy with it.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #179 of 202 Old 05-29-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Dreamscreen is no more. They went out of business over a year ago. I'm surprised the site is still running. I have one, it's the old system that I was talking about where I had a beta product from them to also control my Hue lights. If you want to do active bias lighting like that the best option now is the HDFurry Diva. It works great and they have amazing support. The thread here on AVS is monitored by @HDfury and is very active with answering question and fixing issues. I'm really happy with it.

That looks interesting. My thought was a more customizable option to have lights accenting the movies. Like lightning during a storm would make lights flicker, or Star Wars laser blasters randomly triggering LEDs in the room. Not so much mimicking the colors on screen. Similar to a wind track, but this would be a lighting track.

post #180 of 202 Old 05-29-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys- so I was working on the wind track for Star Wars episode 7 today and thought of an idea.
For those people making wind tracks. I put together a program to hopefully help you.

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/FanFileCreator.zip

The idea of using this program is you open it on your Windows PC along with the movie you are working on in MPC-HC or MPC-BE player and put them side-by-side. You must enable Web Access in the MPC player for this to work (Options -> Player -> Web Interface -> Listen on port 13579).

As you scrub and move through the movie in MPC player, you can then at any time press hotkeys (on the numpad) which will insert the current timecode and fan speed into the text file in the FanFileCreator program. This will save you from having to type each code out. It will also insert codes into the correct chronological order as you add them.

The hotkeys are listed on the top of the program for ease of remembering (Numpad 0=OFF, 1=LOW, 4=MED, 5=ECO, 7=HIGH).
DesertDog, Archaea and feistyacorn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page