how to use REW to measure available sub headroom? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By michael hurd

post #1 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 55
how to use REW to measure available sub headroom?

I am just getting comfortable with REW. Is there a simple way to use my mic and REW to measure how loud i can run my subs without clipping or distortion? subs are marty cubes with si18s and a crown 2502 amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
I am just getting comfortable with REW. Is there a simple way to use my mic and REW to measure how loud i can run my subs without clipping or distortion? subs are marty cubes with si18s and a crown 2502 amp

If you have gain structure problems, you could be clipping prematurely, or even have not enough voltage drive to get full output of the amplifier.

Depending on the microphone, you may have enough spl to drive it into non-linear operation. The room can also contribute to measured distortion spectra in REW, if you have rattles and other noises.

So in short, it's a bit hard to figure out what you have if you have any of those other issues.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
If you have gain structure problems, you could be clipping prematurely, or even have not enough voltage drive to get full output of the amplifier.

Depending on the microphone, you may have enough spl to drive it into non-linear operation. The room can also contribute to measured distortion spectra in REW, if you have rattles and other noises.

So in short, it's a bit hard to figure out what you have if you have any of those other issues.

sorry, maybe i was not clear. I do not believe that i am clipping, but how do i know if i am? after eq, i run my subs about 8db hot, is there a way to tell that i could clip at this level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 716
The clipping LED on your amp will tell you if you're clipping.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
sorry, maybe i was not clear. I do not believe that i am clipping, but how do i know if i am? after eq, i run my subs about 8db hot, is there a way to tell that i could clip at this level

You could be clipping the output of the AVR, or clipping the amplifier. If you have redirected bass, you are asking the subwoofers to reproduce >121 dB of bass, if you drive the system to reference volume level during a movie, and every gain stage is correct. If 8 dB hot, now the subwoofers will need to reproduce close to ~ 130 dB at reference.

Room gain is not factored in, a large lossy main floor room that is open to the rest of the house will behave far differently than a basement room that has two concrete walls and concrete floor.

If you know your maximum spl, then you can calculate back to figure out what you need at your subwoofers.
LTD02 likes this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
The UMIK-1 maxes out at 130db peak from my experience with it.
It starts distorting around 120db continuous power / sinewave etc.

You have to modify the UMIK-1 to even reach +115db.

How to do that, can be seen in my thread on the topic:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-umik-1-a.html

If you truly want a no-limit SPL meter, then you'll have to buy an SPL Lab or Term Lab, solid-state sensor.

https://shop.termpro.com/products/te...-sensor-system
http://spllabusa.com/us/products/bas...ass-meter.html

Those max-out north of 180db.

Quote:
Quote:
You could be clipping the output of the AVR
True.

For the first one, just disconnect the driver. You should be able to clip the amp, ensuring you have sufficient voltage drive, then just back down the MV a notch and consider that your max-safe loudness.

You can only detect AVR clipping with an oscope (or voltage divider and a soundcard).
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2018, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 860 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3685

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page