DIY Frontstage for 90% HT use - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MKtheater
  • 1 Post By BlkSC
  • 1 Post By Steeve-O

post #1 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 49
DIY Frontstage for 90% HT use

Hello my fellow members. I'm looking to go the DIY route for at least my front stage for now at least and would like to know which direction to go. I know some may find it easy but there a plenty others out there like me who is a total noob when it comes to selecting the right equipment for the job. I have 2 main spaces (1500^, 2500^) roughly that I'd like this set to fill. I don't want an overly large footprint as the larger space is a living room area and must meet the wife's approval. I'm currently checking out the DIY website and although it is great because of the selection, it is also hindering my decision making. There's a lot to choose from(although) great, for a novice it can be overwhelming. I know just about every kit there can beat out what I currently own Energy Takes, but I'd like to spend once and be happy with my decision. I'm also building my own Marty Micros(I may start the gluing process today). Everything is already cut to size, I only need to cut the driver diameter out and I'll be set.

My main goal is to fill either room with a decent amount of lows, mids and highs. I stumbled upon this group just recently and have since been hooked. I think I've read close to 100 pages of info discussing Marty, Johnnysub, Titans and Stonehenge. I'm like overloaded till its confusing.
What setup is great for a Front stage? Helix, Apollo, Cobalt, Fusion etc? I would be ordering Flatpacks. My Amp is the Yamaha Aventage 1050b if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Do you have any budget constrain? Also how loud do you listen? Do you have skill to build cabinets or you want to go with easy to assemble flat pack?

Without knowing that I would guess the following:

Dedicated home theater would be HTM line. Maybe HTM 10 or 12 for LCR and Volt or HTM for surround. You could go bigger with 1099 or Titan but unless you want maximum performance at maximum price the HTM are an amazing bargain.

For subwoofer duty there is a lot of possibility. With a small budget there is the VBSS that will offer great performance at small price. For more money a Marty subwoofer with UM18 would be great too. Multiple subwoofer is always better if you have space and budget.

For living room you can go with Fusion 8 tower if they come back in on the website (they should) and if they pass WAF. Sometimes wife prefer smaller bookshelves speaker line, HTM-6 or Volts could work too then. You would have to know what she like at that point 😂 All these speaker would work best with a subwoofer.

If going full range depending on your usage you could maybe go without a subwoofer. You would have less bass and less output capability but for a living room it can work. Personally I have eyeballed the Nexus Tower. No kit is available but all parts can be bought from parts-express. They are cheap. Moderately efficient and play low enough to work without a subwoofer for moderate use. You would have to be somewhat handy at woodworking to make those.

http://www.hificircuit.com/community...-speakers.319/

They are not popular but the designer is reputable. The Tower won a prize at Dayton Audio category at 2014 MWAF. So they must not be that bad 🙃
post #3 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve-O View Post
Do you have any budget constrain? Also how loud do you listen? Do you have skill to build cabinets or you want to go with easy to assemble flat pack?

Without knowing that I would guess the following:

Dedicated home theater would be HTM line. Maybe HTM 10 or 12 for LCR and Volt or HTM for surround. You could go bigger with 1099 or Titan but unless you want maximum performance at maximum price the HTM are an amazing bargain.

For subwoofer duty there is a lot of possibility. With a small budget there is the VBSS that will offer great performance at small price. For more money a Marty subwoofer with UM18 would be great too. Multiple subwoofer is always better if you have space and budget.

For living room you can go with Fusion 8 tower if they come back in on the website (they should) and if they pass WAF. Sometimes wife prefer smaller bookshelves speaker line, HTM-6 or Volts could work too then. You would have to know what she like at that point 😂 All these speaker would work best with a subwoofer.

If going full range depending on your usage you could maybe go without a subwoofer. You would have less bass and less output capability but for a living room it can work. Personally I have eyeballed the Nexus Tower. No kit is available but all parts can be bought from parts-express. They are cheap. Moderately efficient and play low enough to work without a subwoofer for moderate use. You would have to be somewhat handy at woodworking to make those.

http://www.hificircuit.com/community...-speakers.319/

They are not popular but the designer is reputable. The Tower won a prize at Dayton Audio category at 2014 MWAF. So they must not be that bad 🙃
I have the skill to build but time is very limited. My budget right now is no more than 1k, trying to keep the Mrs happy. I'm building a Marty or 2 or 3 so the sub will be taken care of. I checked out the HTM line and they are quite large, I'm looking for a smaller footprint. Floor standing models can work but using something that looks like a Marty for front stage is a no go. I'm looking to irritate my neighbors when it is all said and done .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by springs113 View Post
I checked out the HTM line and they are quite large, I'm looking for a smaller footprint. Floor standing models can work but using something that looks like a Marty for front stage is a no go. I'm looking to irritate my neighbors when it is all said and done .
The HTMs can be wall mounted.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 AM

If Fusion 8 bookshelves speaker comme back they could be a good option. They are 93-94 db efficient and cost around 160$-170$ if I remember correctly. HTM-6 would be similar but with less output.

I wan’t to upgrade my setup too soon with limited budget unfortunately. I want tower/floor standing speaker that take up no more than 12x12 of floor space.

I have decided that I would mostly go with one of the 3 following speaker.

Fusion 8 (if they come back)
Cobalt 8
Nexus speaker.

Maybe one of those would suit your bill.

Fusion 8 have efficiency and more dispersion controls wich would be great in a non threated living room.

Cobalt 8 are efficient. Dome tweeter don’t controls sound as well as wave guide. They also lack review so that why I’m uncertain about these. The designer is a reputable guy.

Nexus are the less efficient and the cheapest of the lot. They are still around 89-90 db efficient as a tower. But they have a lot of bass and since I listen to a lot of music I eyeballed those. Plus to me they just look awesome.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri732 View Post
The HTMs can be wall mounted.
The wife dont really want that but it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
If Fusion 8 bookshelves speaker comme back they could be a good option. They are 93-94 db efficient and cost around 160$-170$ if I remember correctly. HTM-6 would be similar but with less output.

I wan’t to upgrade my setup too soon with limited budget unfortunately. I want tower/floor standing speaker that take up no more than 12x12 of floor space.

Cobalt 8
Nexus speaker.

Fusion 8 have efficiency and more dispersion controls wich would be great in a non threated living room.

Cobalt 8 are efficient. Dome tweeter don’t controls sound as well as wave guide. They also lack review so that why I’m uncertain about these. The designer is a reputable guy.

Nexus are the less efficient and the cheapest of the lot. They are still around 89-90 db efficient as a tower. But they have a lot of bass and since I listen to a lot of music I eyeballed those. Plus to me they just look awesome.
The footprint is not set in stone I just dont want to have an overbearing box to look at in a sense. I'm struggling to find pictures of the Fusions for some reason. I've never heard of the Nexus line. The negative about the Cobalt is a turn off imho...but I'd still give it a chance. When I heard about the DIY speakers the first one was Fusions, I may have seen the HTM but never given it a look. I'm just excited an anxious at the same time to get this all started. Since I was considering floor standing speakers for my LR I can deal with the size, I just want something not too "funky" looking.

Edit: I'm liking the Elusives from the 1099 line as well but would be lost in trying to find a center for it.

Last edited by springs113; 10-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked: 2315
You can always check out the classified section and try to find Chase Hometheater speakers. They sound great and already finished for you. The Pure 10 was slightly better than the sho-10 I compared many moons ago. Just something to consider, I am not sure if they are small enough though. If you need small, maybe you can get Volt 10s for everything since you are crossing to Marty's.
springs113 likes this.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The first speakers I built were from the Nexus line. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ect-nexus.html

I love these speakers! I'm just powering them with a Denon X3400H and I will sometimes turn my 12" sub off when listening to music just because I'm still so impressed with the amount of bass they are capable of.
springs113 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
You can always check out the classified section and try to find Chase Hometheater speakers. They sound great and already finished for you. The Pure 10 was slightly better than the sho-10 I compared many moons ago. Just something to consider, I am not sure if they are small enough though. If you need small, maybe you can get Volt 10s for everything since you are crossing to Marty's.
I think I'd like to try my hand at a DIY project. It's been long overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSC View Post
The first speakers I built were from the Nexus line. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ect-nexus.html

I love these speakers! I'm just powering them with a Denon X3400H and I will sometimes turn my 12" sub off when listening to music just because I'm still so impressed with the amount of bass they are capable of.
I like this and all but no flatpacks, which is what I was looking for.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I'm struggling to find pictures of the Fusions for some reason.
Here are some photo I stole from forum members here of fusion 8 tower or build as a tower. I keep them for future inspiration 🙄😅
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA9299F3-C2AB-4962-AD4C-8C28F78BB873_1540584177985.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2474054   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E48DBF9-65DD-4CD2-A75A-056BE9D68929_1540584197303.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2474056   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FFCF598-AF18-45AF-BEFF-0D64334CA4A8_1540584211522.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2474058  
springs113 likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some photo I stole from forum members here of fusion 8 tower or build as a tower. I keep them for future inspiration 🙄😅
I love the first glossy look.
If using the Fusion line as a center, how tall/wide is it?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Cobalt 8
Nexus speaker.

I just built me 3. They are super amazing and sound incredible.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
I'm liking the Elusives from the 1099 line as well but would be lost in trying to find a center for it.
They offer a horizontal center flatpack in the 1099's to go with a pair of verticals. This what I'm planning to build for my LCR as soon as funds permit it. As well as a pair of Johnny's with the RSS460HO 18's.

Vertical
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...flat-pack.html

Horizontal
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...flat-pack.html

Good luck with your build, and by all means, post a build thread.

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 10-26-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page