Need design/woodwork advice - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Found a good video from one of the members that references the work around. This was the part I was confused about but now I think I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A little upset right now. Got everything together brought it inside to finally test. Hook up the NX6000D and the bitch is humming like crazy. So disappointed anyone know how to fix this? I’m guessing I’m going to have to send it back but damn I don’t want to do that.

post #93 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 448
That sounds like a ground loop. Is there a cable box in your setup?

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Also turn off the Nuke, disconnect your input cable, turn the Nuke back on. If there is no hum, you most likely have a loop. Grounding the AVR to the Nukes chasis if it is not a cable box is the next option. I cannot tell you how pissed I was when I got my XLS 1502 hooked up to my mains and the hum was unbearable.

You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #95 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Also turn off the Nuke, disconnect your input cable, turn the Nuke back on. If there is no hum, you most likely have a loop. Grounding the AVR to the Nukes chasis if it is not a cable box is the next option. I cannot tell you how pissed I was when I got my XLS 1502 hooked up to my mains and the hum was unbearable.

Tried what you said and didn’t work. Out of desperation I opened up the cable and cut the jumper from the ground to the chassis of the cable. Plugged back in and ground buzz solved. Man what a relief. I was super bummed out for sure. I’m playing around with all the settings and breaking in the sub now. Got to say Audyssey did not do a good job blending the two. Playing around with distances and I was able to smooth the curve in rew much much better than Audyssey did.

Question about amp setup. What do you guys set for your low pass filter? I left it at max assuming that the receiver would only send low frequency but during Audyssey it sent everything to it. Sounded weird lol. I then went and set a low pass butterworth at 200hz 48db slope. Prob wrong but worked better it seems. I’m also struggling with the gain setting. Following the video I posted he says max it out on the front of the amp and use the dial but that makes it clip before peak output. Turned it down on the amp and up inside the software and have it reaching the limiter right before it clips. Is this correct? Seems like it’s the safe route but hell this has been a huge learning experience for sure.

post #96 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Probably good to mention you need to fully explore your avr bass settings and make sure all speakers set small.

post #97 of 115 Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Did you mess around with the phase on the iNuke? It could be inverted. Low pass on my sub is at 190 48db an octave. Your goal with the gain is to get the sub woofer trim 0 to -5db on your AVR. The bass management subwoofer calibration thread has a lot of good info for integration.

post #98 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post
Probably good to mention you need to fully explore your avr bass settings and make sure all speakers set small.

Thank you for the reply. This part of it I do know very well. Speakers set to small crossovers at 80 except for center channel. Running that at 60 provides a smoother transition according to my results with REW.

post #99 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you mess around with the phase on the iNuke? It could be inverted. Low pass on my sub is at 190 48db an octave. Your goal with the gain is to get the sub woofer trim 0 to -5db on your AVR. The bass management subwoofer calibration thread has a lot of good info for integration.

Yes I did play with the phase. I found it needs to be 180 out. Keeping it at 0 gives about -3db. It seems we are using similar low passes but my main concern is I read that @LTD02 said adding the low pass can effect the phasing even more so it may not be the correct way to change it. That’s why I reached out and asked.

As for the gain I typically run my subs 3bd hot so shoot for around -6 to -8db. Really you should be good as long as your trim is not -12db bc at that point you have no idea what the true value is.

My question about gain is I can turn the knob on the main unit all the way up to increase the gain then turn it down inside the software. This way was outlined by @eng-399 in that video I posted. Doing it this way seems to cause the sub to clip very easily. Turning down the knob on the front and increase the gain inside the software I feel I have found the sweet spot. Basically it’s where the sub reaches peak power before it clips. With that said though since @eng-399 said it should work the other way I feel I might be missing something. Maybe not lol

post #100 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 533 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked: 4966
Need design/woodwork advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
I’m not sure who @eng-399 is but I’m guessing he is the expert lol. Maybe by using the @ he can come here bc I want to keep this documented bc I plan to do a full out build thread once I get it right to help people with the design cutlist how to attach the legs etc.

What do ya need a box figured out. If johns busy I can help.
Edit:
I was really late to this party sorry about that so many things at home going on. Let me read over this thread
LTD02 likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 11-17-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #101 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
What do ya need a box figured out. If johns busy I can help.

Hey I actually have what I bring called a Marty cube XL fully built and hooked up. Finished it yesterday. Never used an nx6000D before so I took to the internet to figure out how to set it up. I ended up coming across one of your videos on YouTube and posted it above to keep tables on it bc it was so helpful. In the video you state that it’s best to keep the knob on the front of the unit all the way up. The way I understand this is that this is the sensitivity adjustment for the incoming signal. You then say to ensure you don’t clip by reducing the channel gain inside the filter/crossover tab. The issue I was getting was the uxl18 would try to clip at low volume even when I increase it in the AVR. I ended up tinkering and setting the knob on the main unit to about 1ish o’clock and the gain setting in the software to 4.4db as this seemed to be a good spot to not clip. I actually reach the limit before clip which I would think is a good thing. Problem is I’ve never done this before so I wanted to make sure I’m doing this right. Last thing I want is to have it all built then blow it bc I missed a vital setting lol

post #102 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I did play with the phase. I found it needs to be 180 out. Keeping it at 0 gives about -3db. It seems we are using similar low passes but my main concern is I read that @LTD02 said adding the low pass can effect the phasing even more so it may not be the correct way to change it. That’s why I reached out and asked.

As for the gain I typically run my subs 3bd hot so shoot for around -6 to -8db. Really you should be good as long as your trim is not -12db bc at that point you have no idea what the true value is.

My question about gain is I can turn the knob on the main unit all the way up to increase the gain then turn it down inside the software. This way was outlined by @eng-399 in that video I posted. Doing it this way seems to cause the sub to clip very easily. Turning down the knob on the front and increase the gain inside the software I feel I have found the sweet spot. Basically it’s where the sub reaches peak power before it clips. With that said though since @eng-399 said it should work the other way I feel I might be missing something. Maybe not lol

The best thread for the inuke run down was done by shreds on here. After his testing if you take the knob on the front of the inuke 15 clips clockwise that we’re it maxes out right before you get a clipped signal. Then go into the software in the inuke and adjust the gain again while watching the lights for a clipping signal in the inuke software program it should be on right side of the screen. The way I have my inuke setup is different than what I’m suggesting here but I’ve never had a problem with any sub in my room or hear weird noises besides the walls begging for mercy when the volume is turned up and the 21’s are really moving. Hope this helps
Red Five likes this.
post #103 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The best thread for the inuke run down was done by shreds on here. After his testing if you take the knob on the front of the inuke 15 clips clockwise that we’re it maxes out right before you get a clipped signal. Then go into the software in the inuke and adjust the gain again while watching the lights for a clipping signal in the inuke software program it should be on right side of the screen. The way I have my inuke setup is different than what I’m suggesting here but I’ve never had a problem with any sub in my room or hear weird noises besides the walls begging for mercy when the volume is turned up and the 21’s are really moving. Hope this helps

Ok thank you. If I understand you correctly you turn the knob exactly 15 clicks from minimum which puts it right between 2 and 3 o’clock. Then adjust the gain to ensure volume without clipping.

Testing it right now and looks like setting the gain to around +6db may be the magic number.

This all seem correct?

post #104 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok thank you. If I understand you correctly you turn the knob exactly 15 clicks from minimum which puts it right between 2 and 3 o’clock. Then adjust the gain to ensure volume without clipping.

Testing it right now and looks like setting the gain to around +6db may be the magic number.

This all seem correct?

Yep that’s it your correct. I’ll find the thread where he bench tested everything and link once I find.
post #105 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep that’s it your correct. I’ll find the thread where he bench tested everything and link once I find.

Awesome thank you for taking the time to explain a bit more.

One last question. When you run Audyssey and it wants you to get the sub volume set (while I set it above the green line to allow some adjustments) you do use the gain inside the amp software and not the knob correct?

post #106 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Need design/woodwork advice

Quote:
Awesome thank you for taking the time to explain a bit more.

One last question. When you run Audyssey and it wants you to get the sub volume set (while I set it above the green line to allow some adjustments) you do use the gain inside the amp software and not the knob correct?

Edit:

I run Rew first do a correction on the frequency the response first then run Audy.
There’s a few of doing it but like doing it after.

Once done I let Audy correct the room then I go back and take a sweep to see how it looks. Then add any filters from the inuke to tweek it some more. You can also add a house curve it to by boosted the low end up.

Last edited by eng-399; 11-18-2018 at 02:12 AM.
post #107 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I run Audy first then adjust all the inuke setting because Audy always kills the bass once it’s done doing what it does.
There’s a few of doing it but like doing it like before and after but I prefer doing it that way personality everyone has there own whys for it.

I let Audy correct the room then I go back and take a sweep to see how it looks. Then add any filters from the inuke to tweet it some more. You can also add a house curve it to by boosted the low end up.

Yup I agree sets it way too low for sure. Just to be 100% clear though when you adjust afterwards you only adjust the gain in the software and not the main dial on the front correct?

post #108 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup I agree sets it way too low for sure. Just to be 100% clear though when you adjust afterwards you only adjust the gain in the software and not the main dial on the front correct?

Yes correct

Plus you have the sub trim in your avr to play with along with the gain inside the inuke. Just don’t go into the positive side of your ave’s sub trim you’ll clip the signal.
post #109 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

What's your impression now of your subwoofer with the settings more dialed in?

post #110 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

This all seem correct?

On the gain you are setting +6db is that under the filter/crossover tab in the nuke software?
post #111 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
On the gain you are setting +6db is that under the filter/crossover tab in the nuke software?

Yes that is correct. And below that setting I have the high pass frequency of 20hz butterworth 12db and low pass of 200hz butterworth 48db for channel A only.

Under parametric EQ I have it at -4db 20hz HS12

Configuration tab:
Dual
Phase: 180
Peak limit: -0.9 bdfs
Load 4 ohm (not sure if this even matters)

Dynamic EQ in touched

post #112 of 115 Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's your impression now of your subwoofer with the settings more dialed in?

So far everything sounds incredible. I haven’t really spent much time running Audyssey. Basically ran 3 point just so I can get to listening. I plan to go back maybe today or tomorrow morning and run sweeps. That way I can dial in both the sub properly and eliminate any peaks and nulls. I will say DB wise I did not plan to gain much if any and while I am sure if I crank both I should gain about 6bd peak volume the real reason I did this was to gain a much smoother FR curve than I had. The base run in REW shows that it is very smooth until 60hz and then I have a massive dip skinny but deep then fairly smooth until 100hz. I’ve found in the past the sub distance tweak typically helps this a ton so after a couple hours running rew and moving them around I’m sure I’ll be in heaven lol. I tend to seek perfection which is not a good thing at times.

post #113 of 115 Old 11-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So when doing initial nuke settings do you leave AVR subwoofer levels at 0dB and then when done use the AVR level adjust for final gain control?
post #114 of 115 Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
So when doing initial nuke settings do you leave AVR subwoofer levels at 0dB and then when done use the AVR level adjust for final gain control?

Yes. Basically I turn off Audyssey and set levels to 0 in the AVR. Then use the gain inside the software to adjust levels to match other sub.

post #115 of 115 Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Man Audyssey is really screwing with my results. I ran REw sweeps of each sub and used some PEQ to ensure everything was as flat as I could make each sub. Then ran the two subs together to make sure they blend well. While there was some peaks and nulls they were much small then after I ran Audyssey. What gives? What pattern do you guys typically follow? If I follow the post above which I think I am doing it really reeks havoc on the results. I also tried not adjusting either sub and results are equally bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page