Had some time of this week and worked on the veneer.
Measuring and cutting the veneer. After measuring the sides, I took the sum and subtracted it from the total length, then divided the remainder by 4. I ended up 3/4" overhang on each piece, which is cool with me. The less I have to cut, the less of a chance I'll screw something up.
I was concerned about the backing on this particular piece as it looked like the paper was overlapped. I could feel it and it ran the entire length of the veneer. I was afraid it would show up after applying it to the box, so I put it towards the back. Ended up not being an issue.
All veneer cut.
The tools I use to apply veneer. I cut the 9" rollers in half so I have a fresh roller for each side and use disposable liners. I ended up going back to the store for a second can of contact cement. My suggestion would be to buy twice as much as you need and return what you don't use.
I taped off the front for two reasons. One, to keep the contact cement off where I'm going to paint and the second so I can see how to align the veneer through my wax paper.
I use wax paper rather than dowels. I'm not claiming this is the best method, but it's the method I use since I typically don't have much overhang on my veneer. When I did my subs, I had about an 8th of an inch overhang on each side, so I needed it as close to the surface as I could to make sure it was even. It's the method I'm comfortable with, so it's what I do.
The center wax paper is on the bottom. I push down on the veneer on another piece of wax paper to keep it from slipping then slide the center bottom piece of wax paper out then press the veneer onto the box, after that, it's not going anywhere and I can continue pulling the center out while working the veneer from the back to the front, then from the center to the edges after taking out the other two pieces of wax paper.
I use a carpet tucking tool to push my veneer. I don't use a j-roller. The carpet tool provides much more force than a j-roller can. I could use the corner of a board, but the carpet tool is more comfortable and only cost like $5 at harbor freight.
Used a flush trim router bit to cut off the access, then a single sided razor to remove the remaining paper.
Veneer is done. Just have to do some cleanup on some glue here and there.
There's a pretty substantial lip on the front, but I'm not going to tempt fate and try to fill it. I think it will blend in as soon as I shoot the front with some black paint. Hopefully I can get the veneer sprayed before this weekend is over.