GSG Audio Design - DIY/AIY for the broadest audio community - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #121 of 205 Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think Im in for 2 these look awesome

ASROCK H67 GE / HT/Core i3
Emotiva XPA2 Gen2 x2
Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY
Emotiva UMC 200
2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 205 Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Cool

Just wanted to chime in, here: I received a pallet of Mini Martys yesterday, and even though I said I was going to wait until I built a Devastator, I went ahead and dry-fit one of the kits together. There was a lot of thought put into these, both from quality and ease of assembly standpoints. The material is high quality and defect-free (more like HDF than MDF), the machined features are crisp and clean with no blowout, and it's practically idiot proof to assemble.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process of building a pair of Marty Cubes from scratch, and I'm looking forward to my Devastator build, but these flat-packs are the way to go when you consider the mess that's involved with all the cutting and fitting from a raw sheet. I just about wiped-out my CNC shop with the sawdust from the Cube build, and the Devastator build is largely going to happen in a vacant space next door, when I start on it. I can't have sawdust all over computers and precision tools, and clogging the air filters on my CNC. For people with the urge to do it but not the space to do it in, these are da bomb! Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to build some of these in the living room of a 3rd floor apartment. But, I don't think the neighbors would care much for the finished result...

Great job, John & Kevin!

Racked: Marantz AV-7005, Oppo BDP-105d, Custom-built HTPC, Custom-built enterprise media server (21TB, expandable), Soundstream DA-2 (x2), Cinepro 3k6SE3 Gold (x2)
Making noise: Fosgate Audionics MC-220 LCRs, SD-180 Dipoles, Twin MartyCubes w/SI HT-18's.
post #123 of 205 Old 01-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC69 View Post
Just wanted to chime in, here: I received a pallet of Mini Martys yesterday, and even though I said I was going to wait until I built a Devastator, I went ahead and dry-fit one of the kits together. There was a lot of thought put into these, both from quality and ease of assembly standpoints. The material is high quality and defect-free (more like HDF than MDF), the machined features are crisp and clean with no blowout, and it's practically idiot proof to assemble.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process of building a pair of Marty Cubes from scratch, and I'm looking forward to my Devastator build, but these flat-packs are the way to go when you consider the mess that's involved with all the cutting and fitting from a raw sheet. I just about wiped-out my CNC shop with the sawdust from the Cube build, and the Devastator build is largely going to happen in a vacant space next door, when I start on it. I can't have sawdust all over computers and precision tools, and clogging the air filters on my CNC. For people with the urge to do it but not the space to do it in, these are da bomb! Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to build some of these in the living room of a 3rd floor apartment. But, I don't think the neighbors would care much for the finished result...

Great job, John & Kevin!
110% Agree...! I built two and they are excellent quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 70
There really needs to be some place for people to post and link up about splitting orders. Sure, some people have room for 4 but not many
post #125 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
GSG hosts a classifieds site here:

https://classified-ads.gsgad.com

I found someone to split an order in this post, but that's probably not the best way.
post #126 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Don't they sell two packs now?

post #127 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I just came across this and wanted to say how happy and excited I am for LTD02 and Kevings for taking this on. After my dad and I stopped making flatpacks a couple years ago I would still receive messages about it weekly for almost a year. This is huge plus for the DIY/AIY community and I with them the best of luck!

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #128 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Word is John and Kevings are cooking up a few horn flatpacks for the company.
markg35 likes this.
post #129 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post

Submaximus v3? I don't think it would make the corner going down into the basement

Edit: Maybe it would fit through the egress window. If that is true it is going to get me in trouble
STL D likes this.

Stormbreaker a B&C 21DS115 Subwoofer Solution | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen

Last edited by Red Five; 01-18-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #130 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Submaximus v3? I don't think it would make the corner going down into the basement

Edit: Maybe it would fit through the egress window. If that is true it is going to get me in trouble
Or maybe a Devastator flat pack? Now that would be amazing!

post #131 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
That could be epic!

post #132 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
an assembled, with driver, Max V3 will weigh in at close to 350 or more . . .

bouncing one thru an "egress window"- dude shoot some video ,that
I'd love to see
a flatpack , ?" , close to 5 sheets . easy 250-300+ even when cut up . .

to see that as economically feasible wrt shipping? , whole 'nother league . . .

probably get one built locally for less than the shipping . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #133 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
a flatpack , ?" , close to 5 sheets . easy 250-300+ even when cut up . .

to see that as economically feasible wrt shipping? , whole 'nother league . . .
The DTS-10 flat pack kit weighed in at around 300lbs shipped and is was only like $150 bucks, even less if you picked it up at a depot.

So, it could be doable and potentially worth it if the price is right...having CNC cut panels is a huge plus.
asarose247 likes this.

post #134 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

A Devastator pack would be the dream, it will fit down the stairs

Stormbreaker a B&C 21DS115 Subwoofer Solution | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #135 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A Devastator pack would be the dream, it will fit down the stairs
That design would certainly qualify as low hanging fruit, it is one of the most compact designs resulting in minimal number of pieces.

post #136 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 104
@LTD02 and/or @kevings would you guys consider making VBSS enclosures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
femi likes this.
post #137 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
chiming in here.. I'm a fan and customer. Talking to Kevin about a custom flatpack for Selah Audio speakers.

These guys are the real deal and what a deal it is.

Count me in as an evangelist! @kevings
post #138 of 205 Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
@LTD02 and/or @kevings would you guys consider making VBSS enclosures?

@Purenv ,

I would reach out to either John or Kevin directly. I know for a fact after speaking to Kevin the other night (the guy spent almost an hour talking to me about my project, who does that? excellent customer service)

Anyway, he mentioned that they have a new 18 mid base module. utilizing the PA460 which is similar to the VBSS. He mentioned that is coming in the next week or two. Definitely reach out to either of them.

I can't recommend them enough. Very excited that they are local to me (only 20 minutes away)
femi, Heide264 and Cryptic1911 like this.

Last edited by point1; 01-19-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #139 of 205 Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sent them an email 3 days ago and haven’t heard back. Maybe I asked to many questions? Lol. I understand that they do this on the side, so I’ll try here.

I was previously looking at getting one or two Klipsch R-115SW to replace the single SVS PB12-NSD I currently have. I’m not a huge basehead and the family is not either, so I’m not looking get to crazy at this point. So I was thinking about starting with a single Marty cube and possibly adding a second later, so looking at maybe getting four and finding someone to split with or selling two off. Now my room is 6000+ SF so I know from reading I should probably be considering minis, but I’m worried they may be to much, especially two. Am I making the correct assumption that I’d be better off with two cubes vs one mini?

As for drivers, I think I’d prefer the RSS460HO-4 based on what I’ve read. I have Klipsch RF-7 iis as mains and listen to 20-25% music. As for discounts on the driver, do they offer a nice discount or are there occasional deals that parts express offers?

For the amp, I’m a little concerned about the fan noise with the Behringer units, but understand there’s a warranty voiding fan mod that can be done. Are there significant discounts available on these units that should make me consider them, or should I look for a deal on a Dayton SA1000?

Any feedback appreciated, then I can try again for just a shipping quote. 🙂

Marantz SR7012
Klipsch RF-7 II Mains - Klipsch RC-64 II Center
Klipsch RS-7 Rears
SVS PB12-NSD
Sony XBR75X900E
post #140 of 205 Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Build TWO. Always build two, for best bass integration and less BOOMiness.

Buy the flatpacks, build two. Invite friends and family for movie/music demo party. Sell extra flatpacks to highest bidder. It works for Tupperware/Avon/Mary Kay, etc.

Tell the wife you're having a Marty Party

@LTD02 @kevings New business plan?
stflush, eng-399 and bubbrik like this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #141 of 205 Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by stflush View Post
Sent them an email 3 days ago and haven’t heard back. Maybe I asked to many questions? Lol. I understand that they do this on the side, so I’ll try here.

I was previously looking at getting one or two Klipsch R-115SW to replace the single SVS PB12-NSD I currently have. I’m not a huge basehead and the family is not either, so I’m not looking get to crazy at this point. So I was thinking about starting with a single Marty cube and possibly adding a second later, so looking at maybe getting four and finding someone to split with or selling two off. Now my room is 6000+ SF so I know from reading I should probably be considering minis, but I’m worried they may be to much, especially two. Am I making the correct assumption that I’d be better off with two cubes vs one mini?

As for drivers, I think I’d prefer the RSS460HO-4 based on what I’ve read. I have Klipsch RF-7 iis as mains and listen to 20-25% music. As for discounts on the driver, do they offer a nice discount or are there occasional deals that parts express offers?

For the amp, I’m a little concerned about the fan noise with the Behringer units, but understand there’s a warranty voiding fan mod that can be done. Are there significant discounts available on these units that should make me consider them, or should I look for a deal on a Dayton SA1000?

Any feedback appreciated, then I can try again for just a shipping quote. 🙂
Im a Klipsch owner and a bunch of DIY too.

Subs are never too big if well designed as in "too much". So a minimarty is NOT too big performance-wise, but they may be too big from an aesthetic point of view. This matters a great deal.

At about 8cft or more an Ultimax 18 becomes a great/better choice in a ported setup. Smaller it will work, but is not ideal...again will work well. The other options such as the HO will work too, and in smaller cabinets.

Any well designed sub can be calibrated...i.e. a minimarty can play beautifully...and lower and louder than a cube. So if you have the room go mini. What im saying is the mini can be set to play so quiet you cant hear it...or to the max where 2 might be barely enough for your room to reach full reference (which your rf7s can do with very little power).

A Klipsch member, who is also a member here, got me started on the martys....and he had all of them. Full martys, mini martys, johnnys and also had some sealed subs.

Ive seen most options available, go bigger if it fits your room well. Go smaller if it will bother anyone in your family.

This particular klipsch member also has rf7s, along with a few dozen other klipsch speakers. Hes here on avs too but hasnt been around a lot lately.

External amp imo is better because you want DSP and flexibility to add more subs.

A 6000dsp or the new model should be sufficient for your immediate needs (2) and even potentialy an expansion to 4.
stflush likes this.
post #142 of 205 Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post
Im a Klipsch owner and a bunch of DIY too.

Subs are never too big if well designed as in "too much". So a minimarty is NOT too big performance-wise, but they may be too big from an aesthetic point of view. This matters a great deal.

At about 8cft or more an Ultimax 18 becomes a great/better choice in a ported setup. Smaller it will work, but is not ideal...again will work well. The other options such as the HO will work too, and in smaller cabinets.

Any well designed sub can be calibrated...i.e. a minimarty can play beautifully...and lower and louder than a cube. So if you have the room go mini. What im saying is the mini can be set to play so quiet you cant hear it...or to the max where 2 might be barely enough for your room to reach full reference (which your rf7s can do with very little power).

A Klipsch member, who is also a member here, got me started on the martys....and he had all of them. Full martys, mini martys, johnnys and also had some sealed subs.

Ive seen most options available, go bigger if it fits your room well. Go smaller if it will bother anyone in your family.

This particular klipsch member also has rf7s, along with a few dozen other klipsch speakers. Hes here on avs too but hasnt been around a lot lately.

External amp imo is better because you want DSP and flexibility to add more subs.

A 6000dsp or the new model should be sufficient for your immediate needs (2) and even potentialy an expansion to 4.
Thanks for the feedback. I also heard back from John on my questions, now waiting to hear from Kevin on a quote.

If anyone in the Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati or Indianapolis areas is interested in splitting something let me know as I’ll probably be going this route soon.

Marantz SR7012
Klipsch RF-7 II Mains - Klipsch RC-64 II Center
Klipsch RS-7 Rears
SVS PB12-NSD
Sony XBR75X900E
post #143 of 205 Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post
@Purenv ,

I would reach out to either John or Kevin directly. I know for a fact after speaking to Kevin the other night (the guy spent almost an hour talking to me about my project, who does that? excellent customer service)

Anyway, he mentioned that they have a new 18 mid base module. utilizing the PA460 which is similar to the VBSS. He mentioned that is coming in the next week or two. Definitely reach out to either of them.

I can't recommend them enough. Very excited that they are local to me (only 20 minutes away)
Just wanted to follow up on this to say that I contacted GSG about the upcoming VBSS (or something similar to the VBSS) flat pack. I was informed it's being tested now and should be on the site later this week or next week! Also, they were kind enough to share a picture of the internal bracing structure.

Really looking forward to my first DIY project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2525474  
femi likes this.
post #144 of 205 Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hey @srslee , the mbm flat pack is on the site now:
https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/mbm-by-gsg

Femi
Cryptic1911 likes this.

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
post #145 of 205 Old 02-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Looks about the same as the Martycube.Unless I'm missing something.Maybe a different drive cutout. different tuning of course.

Last edited by markg35; 02-17-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #146 of 205 Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 32
any chance of something like a 1/2 a skhorn for a 21" being considered?
post #147 of 205 Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Looks about the same as the Martycube.Unless I'm missing something.Maybe a different drive cutout. different tuning of course.
I noticed that too looking at the pictures. The tune is higher at 27Hz, vs low 20s for a cube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
any chance of something like a 1/2 a skhorn for a 21" being considered?
That would be a Devastator . If there is enough interest it might be worth it for them to produce a run of flat packs.

I also see that the PA460 has been added to the drivers page

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

post #148 of 205 Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I noticed that too looking at the pictures. The tune is higher at 27Hz, vs low 20s for a cube.That would be a Devastator . If there is enough interest it might be worth it for them to produce a run of flat packs.

I also see that the PA460 has been added to the drivers page

I don't know how I missed the devastator thread. I would be in for 2
post #149 of 205 Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
I don't know how I missed the devastator thread. I would be in for 2
We are still waiting on the near field measurements. If I were to guess it will look very much like the models

post #150 of 205 Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Looking for someone to split a 4 pack in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Cube or Mini or Full Martys. Let me know if interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page