• 2 Post By uniquepattern

post #1 of 6 Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Building my own sub

Hi all, where do i go to buy parts to build a high quality sub? And is it easy to build? Is it like a puzzle or do i need to build my own cabinet and circuit board?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.coolfacemasks.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post
Hi all, where do i go to buy parts to build a high quality sub? And is it easy to build? Is it like a puzzle or do i need to build my own cabinet and circuit board?
It depends, you can build one with a flatpack(wood/mdf already precut). You can cut your own according to several threads on here. Marty sub, Stonehenge, Johnny sub, VBSS. They are tailored to specific drivers(subwoofers).
post #3 of 6 Old 11-23-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Why dont you start by telling us a bit about yourself, and your goals. We would be happy to assist you in finding the correct setup..

What is the intended use (Movies? Music? Gaming? Mix - and if so approx split 60% movies, 30% music 10% gaming etc)
How big of a room?
Other equipment you are using??
If you answer these questions, we will have a better idea of where to steer your decisions...
MajorTendonitis and bebb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post
Where are you located in Canada? I bought mine from SOLEN.

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Why dont you start by telling us a bit about yourself, and your goals. We would be happy to assist you in finding the correct setup..

What is the intended use (Movies? Music? Gaming? Mix - and if so approx split 60% movies, 30% music 10% gaming etc)
How big of a room?
Other equipment you are using??
If you answer these questions, we will have a better idea of where to steer your decisions...
I want a good sub for 90% movies/shows. the room is over 3000 cf. See my signature for my current equipment. its going in HT2. I just seen some prices of drivers from the site the guys mentioned above this. I didn't know it was that expensive.

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.coolfacemasks.ca
post #6 of 6 Old 11-24-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Start with lots of searching & reading. There's a tremendous amount of information here on this sub-forum & I found it to be one of the best sources for DIY subs.

I have a similar sized room & decided to go build a vented box with a UM18-22 driver. I used WinISD to model the cabinet & a miniDSP & REW for EQ. I got most of the stuff for the sub from Solen. The amp, a Crown XLS2002 came from Axe Music via Amazon.ca.

Parts Express has a huge selection of speaker components, amps, connectors, wire, box flatpacks, etc. Most anything you need to build a speaker. For speaker kits there's Madisound or DIY Sound Group & others. I built 4 Atmos speakers with Zaph Audio component kits from Madisound. Very nice speakers.

I prefer to buy from a Canadian source because if there is a warranty issue it's more complicated & expensive to ship stuff back & forth across the border. I did have to return the UM18-22 on warranty. The pricing is quite close once you factor in shipping & customs fees.

I'd have got my Atmos kits from DIYSG, but they don't ship directly to Canada & it is complicated & expensive to deal with that. Madisound & Parts Express make it very easy to get stuff shipped up here.

I've probably given you more questions than answers, but know now that this is gonna be a rabbit hole. Well worth it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page