HTM-12 LCR or keep Polk RTiA 9 for LCR Duty? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Ericglo
  • 1 Post By Randy_J
  • 2 Post By Randy_J
  • 1 Post By BIGBEAR2004
  • 1 Post By BIGBEAR2004
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
HTM-12 LCR or keep Polk RTiA 9 for LCR Duty?

I just want input from the DIY group on my choice. Originally, I had my eyes set on getting 3 HTM -12's, along with Volt 8's for surround and Atmos for a future theater build. However, I ran into a sale at Best Buy and purchased 3 Polk RTiA 9's for LCR duty at $399 CAD/$299 USD each. The Polk's were not on my radar, but I couldn't pass up on this sale for what I was getting. Right now I am thinking perhaps I made a mistake? I still have the option to return and go with the HTM-12's. Would the Polk's work well with Volt 8's and is there a massive difference in sound between HTM-12's and RTiA 9's? I will be using a dedicated amp with 200 watts per channel. Also 90% usage will be for movies.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
DaleNixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Seems like a really good deal though I've never owned Polk. Additionally they are plug and play and pretty out of the box unlike DIY. On top of that their resale value should be good down the line. I'm not sure about mixing with Volts, though I mix Klipsch and the Titan which are both compression driver speakers. However with room correction/auto eq, or whatever your AVR has may overcome the differences.


So I'd say for top of the line Polk towers that dig deep and can take a lot of power...keep them at that price.

_________________________________________________
Denon AVR-X4200W / Crown XLI 2500
7.4.4 Klipsch Ref. ii & In-Ceiling Atmos / Titan-615LX center
NU3000DSP - 2 SI HT18 D4's / NU6000DSP - 2 Ultimax 18"s
BenQ W1070 / 120" AT screen / Volt-10LX Atmos build
DaleNixon is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
springs113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm actually in the same boat but with the debut 2.0. I got them black Friday and that's 690 fir a whole 5.0 set. I'm not sure if I should build the htm over them. I'm also considering the htm 8s but no answer in actual availability.
springs113 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,817
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
For movies, you would probably prefer the HTMs over the Polks.
chiptouz likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 364
if you don't have anything doing 80hz and below the Polks reach down to the 40's, the HTM won't exactly have that reach.

They will have a monumental more sensitivity and directivity though.
Trimlock is online now  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
I just want input from the DIY group on my choice. Originally, I had my eyes set on getting 3 HTM -12's, along with Volt 8's for surround and Atmos for a future theater build. However, I ran into a sale at Best Buy and purchased 3 Polk RTiA 9's for LCR duty at $399 CAD/$299 USD each. The Polk's were not on my radar, but I couldn't pass up on this sale for what I was getting. Right now I am thinking perhaps I made a mistake? I still have the option to return and go with the HTM-12's. Would the Polk's work well with Volt 8's and is there a massive difference in sound between HTM-12's and RTiA 9's? I will be using a dedicated amp with 200 watts per channel. Also 90% usage will be for movies.


If I had bought the A9’s when I bought the A7’s I am not sure I would have updated to the 1099’s. But knowing what I know now the 1099’s are amazing speakers and having the same three across the front is the way to go. My issue is with the CSiA6 center which is the best one for that series. IMO that is the weakest link between my Polk setup than with my 1099 setup. But realistically the 1099’s in general are amazing speakers and blow my Polk system out of the water. So if you are always going to “what if” return the A9’s or sell at a profit (if possible) and buy the DIY ones and build some DIY subs and don’t look back. It’s rewarding..here is a pic of the 1099’s next to the a7’s.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
STL D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 514
The only thing the polk has over the HTM is extension, which is not an issue considering you should be running a subwoofer for a HT setup in the first place. Beyond that, the HTM is better in every way.
STL D is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I think the main thing it comes down to is how you are going to use them. Are you going to watch movies with a lot of people? Just think about off axis, the htm12's will do way better with off axis then the polks, but if its just you sitting right in front of the center channel then it probably wont be an issue.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
trilkb is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
jcr159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NE Ohio (Go Steelers!)
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Most folks would say that the Polk's have a "characteristic" sound. i.e. - they aren't targeting a neutral sound profile in their design. Some like it, some don't... that said, the DIY Soundgroup stuff tends to lean toward neutral in design and between dispersion characteristics and sound profile likely will be noticeable. Audyssey will help, but they won't be the best match...

Listen to them and see if you like em...

that's all that matters in the end!

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
jcr159 is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
For movies, you would probably prefer the HTMs over the Polks.
I am just looking for the theater experience, with sharp dialogue like a real cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
if you don't have anything doing 80hz and below the Polks reach down to the 40's, the HTM won't exactly have that reach.

They will have a monumental more sensitivity and directivity though.
I was thinking about the sensitivity which will allow me to use an AVR and not worry about the Monoprice amp I was going to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
The only thing the polk has over the HTM is extension, which is not an issue considering you should be running a subwoofer for a HT setup in the first place. Beyond that, the HTM is better in every way.
I will be using beefy subs, so I will be crossing everything at 80Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
I think the main thing it comes down to is how you are going to use them. Are you going to watch movies with a lot of people? Just think about off axis, the htm12's will do way better with off axis then the polks, but if its just you sitting right in front of the center channel then it probably wont be an issue.
I probably will have a lot of people watching as well.


I am still not sure what direction I will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
If I had bought the A9’s when I bought the A7’s I am not sure I would have updated to the 1099’s. But knowing what I know now the 1099’s are amazing speakers and having the same three across the front is the way to go. My issue is with the CSiA6 center which is the best one for that series. IMO that is the weakest link between my Polk setup than with my 1099 setup. But realistically the 1099’s in general are amazing speakers and blow my Polk system out of the water. So if you are always going to “what if” return the A9’s or sell at a profit (if possible) and buy the DIY ones and build some DIY subs and don’t look back. It’s rewarding..here is a pic of the 1099’s next to the a7’s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1099's look great, but I wont have the patience to put that size of speaker together.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
I am just looking for the theater experience, with sharp dialogue like a real cinema.







I was thinking about the sensitivity which will allow me to use an AVR and not worry about the Monoprice amp I was going to purchase.







I will be using beefy subs, so I will be crossing everything at 80Hz.







I probably will have a lot of people watching as well.





I am still not sure what direction I will go.









1099's look great, but I wont have the patience to put that size of speaker together.


It’s really not that bad with the flat packs and pre-assembled crossovers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 12-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Maple Grove MN
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
It’s really not that bad with the flat packs and pre-assembled crossovers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have any experience with a diysound build yes but i dont see a 1099 build with flat pack and assembled crossover to be much if any harder than a htm 12. At that point it is just glue it together and hook up the wires. It takes a lot of the hard work out of the equation.
chiptouz likes this.
Randy_J is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 12-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
I dont have any experience with a diysound build yes but i dont see a 1099 build with flat pack and assembled crossover to be much if any harder than a htm 12. At that point it is just glue it together and hook up the wires. It takes a lot of the hard work out of the equation.


I agree with you. It isn’t hard at all. If you can just think through it and take your time, watch assembly videos and ask questions when you have them it will be easy. Just don’t rush, take your time, and plan it out. That’s what I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 12-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
markg35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The difference in assembly between the 1099's and HTM-12's basically is the size and weight.The HTM's are roughly half the size and weight.Definately not insignificant.

Both great speakers I'm sure.They were both on my list.I "settled" for 893's(needed horizontal center smaller than 1099's)
markg35 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Maple Grove MN
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Yes it all depends on how much space you are willing to give up. Once we move I am planning to do a dedicated room and really want to do a set of Titan 615 lx or more so the 630 witch is 2 15” drivers if I can get it past the budget committee. Then I will have to see if my 2 Hs-24s are enough to keep up. I say the bigger the better but keep your space in mind. Around here things seem to get a little out of control and all of a sudden 16 subs and 75k watts seems reasonable. YMMV
BIGBEAR2004 and MJB1023 like this.
Randy_J is online now  
post #16 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I don't want any regrets, so I am going to stick with the HTM-12's and return the Polks. Although the HTM-12s are far more expensive since I am in Canada, and I have to assemble it myself I am sure its worth it.
MJB1023 likes this.


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 12-15-2018 at 09:18 AM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,817
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
How long do you have to return the Polks? You may want to buy the HTMs, build them and compare. If you decided you prefer the Polks, then you could probably sell the HTMs.

I have a feeling you will prefer the waveguide HTMs for movies.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #18 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
How long do you have to return the Polks? You may want to buy the HTMs, build them and compare. If you decided you prefer the Polks, then you could probably sell the HTMs.

I have a feeling you will prefer the waveguide HTMs for movies.
I have 20 days to return them. However, I wont have the chance to listen to any of them until I get the new house, and build the theater room which could take several months. Right now I have to go on reviews and personal experience from forum users, and so far I have seen nothing negative about the HTM-12. I do prefer a neutral uncoloured sound similar to a THX sound system, and I believe the HTM-12 are that?

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Member
 
MJB1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
I have 20 days to return them. However, I wont have the chance to listen to any of them until I get the new house, and build the theater room which could take several months. Right now I have to go on reviews and personal experience from forum users, and so far I have seen nothing negative about the HTM-12. I do prefer a neutral uncoloured sound similar to a THX sound system, and I believe the HTM-12 are that?
I would do the HTM 12s or even 10s in a heartbeat over the polks. Especially if you are planning on building a dedicated media room in your new house. You might even consider flush mounting them into a baffle wall behind an acoustically transparent movie screen which would be the ultimate way to experience the system.
MJB1023 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB1023 View Post
I would do the HTM 12s or even 10s in a heartbeat over the polks. Especially if you are planning on building a dedicated media room in your new house. You might even consider flush mounting them into a baffle wall behind an acoustically transparent movie screen which would be the ultimate way to experience the system.


That's exactly what I would like to do. I was looking at the HTM-10s just now, and was thinking of getting 7 HTM-10s for a seamless front to back match with 4 volt 10's in the ceiling instead of the 12's. The room will be perhaps 15x27x9, but not sure yet.
smcmillan2 likes this.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
That's exactly what I would like to do. I was looking at the HTM-10s just now, and was thinking of getting 7 HTM-10s for a seamless front to back match with 4 volt 10's in the ceiling instead of the 12's. The room will be perhaps 15x27x9, but not sure yet.
Go for it. You will not be disappointed with the HTM-10s or 12s. And they were basically designed for a baffle wall installation.
BIGBEAR2004 likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
smcmillan2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off