In reference to a thread I started awhile ago (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...more-subs.html
) where @johnson636
challenged me to "prove it"...this is the thread that does just that. Since I have never designed a sub myself, I borrowed concepts from @eng-399
tall boy build and used the marty modifier spreadsheet to come up with the following design. I'd appreciate if you all can check my work.
These will be added to my current 7.2 setup which has the following:
- 1299s for the LCR
- Volt-10s for all 4 surrounds
- 2 existing mini martys which both be placed directly behind my 2nd row of seats.
- 2 butt kickers to shake the 1st row of seats
Just for kicks the finish will be done to match my mains since they will be placed next to them. Those are custom sized maple veneer 1299s. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...lcr-build.html
The dimensions I have available are as follows:
I was shooting for a tune of 17 hz.
After punching into WinISD (no idea if I did this right) these are the graphs that I got. I added a 15hz high pass filter and an input signal of 1500 watts. I also included the box design using the marty modifier spreadsheet to get a cutlist.
With all of that, I appreciate comments on all the following:
1) Can someone check my winISD work?
2) Due to the fact I will be veneering the front...I was thinking as opposed to a marty, I will have the vent fire straight out the top. Other than the fact that someone could drop something down the vent I can't think of a reason not todo this. Would it hurt to put some sort of screen on it? Is this otherwise a bad idea? The reason I want todo this is because finishing the front with veneer around the ports will be a pain in the ass..but doable if needed
3) The subs themselves will be on the front sound stage which is on a set of cabinets/riser that is 24" tall. With that said, do I want to consider anything with regards to the placement of the driver in the box to have it at a certain height with respect to the floor?
4) Is the slight cone excursion in the mid 20 range a problem?
5) Any other thoughts on how bad I thought this out.
Thanks everyone in advance for helping this NOOB.