VBSS Credenza Build - Contemporary Spin - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 99
VBSS Credenza Build - Contemporary Spin

Attached are finalized specifications. I doubt anyone will want a 116" Credenza but I had to match my Sofa Length for that highly sought-after near field effect. I can't wait to see what you guys are talking about!

I got a little carried away with the specs.. details.. etc. But I blame this forum! I am enjoying the entire learning process and hands-on projects.

I have everything but the contact cement ready for the build (so I think), I just need to find some time to finish the 1099's so I can get started. (The plan is Jan 1st :/ )

I could not figure out how to get Sketchup to allow me to change the length of the ports, what do you guys suggest for length? (As soon as I am done with the Credenza I will be starting a single Full Marty near field so I would prefer to keep the PA460's pushing midbass as much as possible.)

I hope I did not bite off more than I can chew. (I have never laminated a thing in my life, plus I am not using a CNC, so I don't know how this is going to turn out... hopefully not lopsided) Here is a Photo-shopped version that is close to what I am hoping for.

------------------PROJECT COMPLETE-----------------
-------See POST 37 (Page 2) For Final Result-----------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VBSS-Credenze-1unit-SKETCHUP.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2499462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Credenza-Measurements_FINAL-7.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2499464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Credenza-Hand-Rendered-in-Photoshop-Larger.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2499466  
michael hurd, CrusherW9 and bebb like this.

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.

Last edited by kagtha; 06-06-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Way cool, can't wait to see how it goes!
kagtha likes this.

post #3 of 44 Old 12-21-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 501
WOW!!!! If the amount of planning is at all indicative of the end result, this is going to be awesome to watch.

AV furniture like this should seriously be a "thing"....for those dealing with WAF, or those wanting something nice/unique but still wanting an 18 inch sub for bass duties.

Also, just in case you haven't seen it yet, there are 4x8 sheets of wood or mdf available that are already veneered. They look great, and run about $70-150 a sheet depending on the type of finish you want. Maple, Cherry, Walnut...it's all available. Considering the time and material it's going to take to veneer this yourself, this pre -veneered option might be something to price out and compare.
kagtha likes this.

Last edited by kevings; 12-21-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
WOW!!!! If the amount of planning is at all indicative of the end result, this is going to be awesome to watch.

AV furniture like this should seriously be a "thing"....for those dealing with WAF, or those wanting something nice/unique but still wanting an 18 inch sub for bass duties.

Also, just in case you haven't seen it yet, there are 4x8 sheets of wood or mdf available that are already veneered. They look great, and run about $70-150 a sheet depending on the type of finish you want. Maple, Cherry, Walnut...it's all available. Considering the time and material it's going to take to veneer this yourself, this pre -veneered option might be something to price out and compare.

Don't you have to stain and coat Vaneer? Sorry, I am new to the Vaneer/Laminate Woodworking arena.

I went through the painstaking process of "ordering" free Wilsonart Samples. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO ADD 49 SAMPLES TO YOUR CART!?! Then it kept erroring out after 1 hour of a 128k baud like experience. But they called me the next day which was super hospitable!

I like the idea of the finished Vaneer but I don't want to take chances if I might not be able to make it match other Living Room Items like the Coffee Table.

Even though Laminate is not real wood, I have seen some projects turn out really nice on this forum. I especially liked the Madagascar Finishes, but as you can see in the photo it is waaaay too shiny for regular furniture. It would be a nightmare to maintain.

The Free Samples are pure awesome. I spent like 2 hours go back and forth and then finally deciding on the one I picked in the first 10 minutes that matched the Side Table.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20181221_0345372.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2499528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181221_0601072.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2499530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170413_2045392.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2499532  

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
post #5 of 44 Old 12-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subbed to this thread - very interested
kagtha likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 12-22-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
Don't you have to stain and coat Vaneer? Sorry, I am new to the Vaneer/Laminate Woodworking arena.

I went through the painstaking process of "ordering" free Wilsonart Samples. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO ADD 49 SAMPLES TO YOUR CART!?! Then it kept erroring out after 1 hour of a 128k baud like experience. But they called me the next day which was super hospitable!

I like the idea of the finished Vaneer but I don't want to take chances if I might not be able to make it match other Living Room Items like the Coffee Table.

Even though Laminate is not real wood, I have seen some projects turn out really nice on this forum. I especially liked the Madagascar Finishes, but as you can see in the photo it is waaaay too shiny for regular furniture. It would be a nightmare to maintain.

The Free Samples are pure awesome. I spent like 2 hours go back and forth and then finally deciding on the one I picked in the first 10 minutes that matched the Side Table.

Your plan is looking good so far. Cut the sheets very slightly oversize to allow for trimming with a router and a laminate bit. Use solvent based contact cement and dowels or wax paper to allow you to position each sheet properly.

Looking at a few videos on laminate tips and tricks will be invaluable to avoid mistakes.
kagtha likes this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #7 of 44 Old 12-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Way cool, can't wait to see how it goes!
Same here. Awesome thread!
kagtha likes this.

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #8 of 44 Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm anxious to see how this comes out as well. It may go a long way in showing my wife the possibilities of having great sound without creating what she thinks of an eyesore in the living room.
kagtha likes this.
post #9 of 44 Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

So I am starting this Credenza VBSS build this weekend. Crossing fingers that nothing comes up.

The front 1099s are finally built and installed. They were great practice for half way perfecting the art of laminating. If one side flops down on the glue, you are not getting it off without a fight, all surface faces need to be perfectly flat and you need to replicate the beveled router trim all the way around.

It is super fulfilling though. I am looking forward to this weekend!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

post #10 of 44 Old 03-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The 1099s looks great. Are those pretty challenging to make? I hadn't thought beyond building subs at this point, but will have to look on the forums to get more details on these.
post #11 of 44 Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocCity View Post
The 1099s looks great. Are those pretty challenging to make? I hadn't thought beyond building subs at this point, but will have to look on the forums to get more details on these.
I can't express just how happy I am that these old AVS pros let me take a hit off their crack pipe. Even though I only came here for sub builds, the 1099s are probably going to be the single most important purchase in my soon to be theater-like living room. The HTMs are awesome "big theater" wise too but the center 12 didn't fit under the TV respectfully. But the 1099s look like they mean business in my opinion, they definitely look the part and were not bad at all to assemble, especially if you get the flatpacks with them and the printed circuit board. I don't have much soldering experience, yet the tinned components made me look pro with perfect solders in mere seconds. $ I still can't get over the sound. Because of their sensitivity, they turned my little 75 watt/ch Onkyo into a crystal clear powerhouse. (They are LOUD and clear) I am seriously considering turning off closed captions. I have only had them up and running for about a month now, and can honestly say they feel like $5k speakers.

Quick VBSS Update:

I was able to cut 80% of the 3/4 MDF required to build the VBSS credenza. (4 Full Sheets) I hurried through it and regretting it. I am super scared my hand pushed circular saw cuts won't pass muster.

I am either going to start over or shave a half inch off the top.

I guess if anything, I'll make sure the front looks better than the hidden baffles.

Last edited by kagtha; 03-05-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #12 of 44 Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am having trouble finding the time to finish these.

A little more progress today...

All 4 VBSS cabs are roughed-in without braces, holes or tops.

No more hurrying the process, it is time to enjoy myself.

post #13 of 44 Old 03-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 498
After seeing how nice your 1099s turned out, I'm looking forward to seeing how the subwoofer cabinet turns out!
kagtha likes this.
post #14 of 44 Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ditto, you knocked it out of the park with the 1099's, this too will be a beautiful piece when installed in your house. Visitors will never know what hit them when they sit down for a movie or to listen to some music.
Craig S King and kagtha like this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well.. this project is not much like the 1099s.. like at all. Erich has his sheet together! Perfectly CNCed rabbet joints, tinned crossover components, detailed instructions, etc. I spent more time unboxing the obsessively compulsive packaging than I did putting them together.

I must say. This is a new experience. Fighting 100lb sheets of 3/4 MDF is a real pita.

If that doesn't get to you, then the mounds of dust certainly will. I have a huge exhaust fan in my garage and still find myself cutting everything outside with a mask and gloves on.

On a positive note I learned about this sweet little thing called a spiral upcut router bit. I can't wait for it to come in. I also learned that if your router can handle a 1/2 shank then you should not go cheap and get the 1/4 set unless you enjoy moving like a turtle, making multiple passes or using an air compressor to keep the bit cool.

Today's progress:
All 4 PA460 18" baffle holes cut
All 4" precision ports ready for cut
Filled and sanded 95% of the viewable sides
Installed bracing

I am definitely getting worn out, this is not a small project. I spend a lot of time staring into blank space visualizing different methods of completion scared I will forget to do something in the correct order. I almost wish I would not have integrated the top marble tiles because they require too much accuracy all around.

But they are coming along slowly but surely.

Has anyone tried using the Maslow DIY CNC rig? Is it accurate enough for speaker enclosures?
bubbrik likes this.

Last edited by kagtha; 04-04-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: mistake
post #16 of 44 Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

A little more progress, all ports were zipped out with ease thanks to the new 1/2 shank spiral upcut bit that barely gets warm. $

The two 1 inch premium pine tower tops are cut and glued. It took a little while to perfect a technique that perfectly held the square 17.5 inch marble tiles without a proper router bed. They match the towers to the mm.

Initial spray crappy spray paint job started for the unseen portion (baffles) connected to the rear of the sofa.

Next up, hand cut standardized 3/4 MDF VBSS tops with push circular saw to fit perfectly. Cut and insert and glue 2" 3/4 MDF around tower tops. (tops of VBSS are 3/4 inset, to prepare for 1" marble tops)

bubbrik likes this.

post #17 of 44 Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Tops cut and glued on. (Baffle should have been last, but you live and you learn)

Entire front is flat. (All 4 VBSSs are screwed together, back baffle is not perfect but won't be visible)

1 poly pillow in each enclosure with minimal 1/2" bed topper on all 3/4 MDF sides.

I will finish the center 1" high top that will hold the final4 marble tiles as soon as I get another open weekend and possibly start the little 3/4 laminate strips.

post #18 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update from the weekend.

-Towers are complete and ready for laminate.
-Interior of towers setup to hold extra replacement tiles.

To do:
DIY Router table
Mid section 1" top frame (final 4 tiles)
Consider 1/2 baffle
Final fill / sand
L a m i n a t e ! ! !

--------------

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement the fake cut lines in the laminate on the front? I am going to test an ultra fine circular saw blade on some test laminate as a possiblity.

bubbrik and michael hurd like this.

post #19 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement the fake cut lines in the laminate on the front? I am going to test an ultra fine circular saw blade on some test laminate as a possiblity.
Looking good so far!

As far as the "gap" lines in the laminate:

Circular saw introduces much more chance for chipping. If that method is preferred, try it with the blade flipped over so it's spinning in reverse of it's intended rotation. This technique was used by some of the older gentlemen that taught me some laminate/veneer tricks.

Best method, if you have a square based router (could build one from scrap to attach to a round based router), would be to get a straight bit of your desired width, set to desired depth.

Either way, as I'm sure you've already deduced, use straight edges for guides.
kagtha likes this.
post #20 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why not cut the laminate into pieces that are easy to manage? Use something consistent in width like a paint stick or similar to set all of your gaps when placing the pieces.

post #21 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Why not cut the laminate into pieces that are easy to manage? Use something consistent in width like a paint stick or similar to set all of your gaps when placing the pieces.
Jagged edges for one reason. Whether cutting the pieces on a table saw, using a slitter, shears, etc., each piece will have edges that are not straight/uniform.

Best method I have found for this type of effect is to apply the laminate over the substrate with contact cement as normal, then using a straight cutting router bit and guides, cut the desired gaps. Produces the straightest, least chipped edges IMHO.
kagtha and michael hurd like this.
post #22 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
I was actually considering this method, using painter tape for the cuts. But I am scared to death that I will get an accidental stick before final positioning.

post #23 of 44 Old 04-22-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Jagged edges for one reason. Whether cutting the pieces on a table saw, using a slitter, shears, etc., each piece will have edges that are not straight/uniform.

Best method I have found for this type of effect is to apply the laminate over the substrate with contact cement as normal, then using a straight cutting router bit and guides, cut the desired gaps. Produces the straightest, least chipped edges IMHO.
Thanks for the "tricks of the trade". This is seriously my first venture besides the 1099s.

You would think reversing the blade would be counter intuitive but I recently learned that before the 50's chainsaw chains only had straight cutting edges which was supposedly hard to keep in a straight line until someone examined how a catterpillar uses curved mandibles. The curve or "r" shape in the chain teeth pulls the chain in "carving " inward instead of sliding across the surface requiring more of your energy as well as daily sharpening.

Or something like that.

Anyway, I think I'll use this little single flute 1/8 straight bit with a mounted straight edge with this router plate. ( It looks more like 3/32 )

post #24 of 44 Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyway, I think I'll use this little single flute 1/8 straight bit with a mounted straight edge with this router plate. ( It looks more like 3/32 )

Yup, that will give you the smoothest edges. Just go slow.
kagtha likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

While cutting the countertop frame for the center, it dawned on me that I might have messed up by pre-gluing the two tower top tile frames. (See photo with fingers, center is not glued yet.)

Or should I not care about grain, waste or matching the Brighton Walnut laminated VBSS bodies? I do have some black matte laminate border squares I saved from the 1099s.(see photo)

Any ideas? @smcmillan2 Or more importantly will I be able to laminate the frame top of the two towers with 45s or should I just make a couple new ones? (So I can laminate the top surface before gluing)

Last edited by kagtha; 04-29-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #26 of 44 Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While cutting the countertop frame for the center, it dawned on me that I might have messed up by pre-gluing the two tower top tile frames. (See photo with fingers, center is not glued yet.)

Or should I not care about grain, waste or matching the Brighton Walnut laminated VBSS bodies? I do have some black matte laminate border squares I saved from the 1099s.(see photo)

Any ideas? @smcmillan2 Or more importantly will I be able to laminate the frame top of the two towers with 45s or should I just make a couple new ones? (So I can laminate the top surface before gluing)
So you want to laminate the frames around the tiles? That would have been easier to do before they were assembled, yes.

For miters like you have drawn in the second pic, way back when I worked in a cabinet shop we used a shear trimmer such as https://www.rockler.com/miter-trimmer. Nice clean edge, cut all pieces to length, then glue them down.

For longer seams I use a trimmer with an underscribe base such as https://www.prosourcecenter.com/prod...r-palm-router/. You can use the same on smaller seams, but it's tougher to keep it straight.

Barring either of those solutions, you can get some double-sided tape, such as that used for carpet seams. Tape a piece of laminate to a good straight edge at your desired angle (45 degrees in this case), then using a standard flush trim bit trim it off. Viola! A 45 degree cut. Rinse, repeat for the rest of the pieces. Tedious, but effective and inexpensive.
kagtha likes this.
post #27 of 44 Old 04-29-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

More tools!? . My mind is saying yes.. but my pocketbook got destroyed on this (I mean "these") project.

So I will do piece by piece.

Thanks for the quick response.

smcmillan2 likes this.

Last edited by kagtha; 05-06-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #28 of 44 Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Slow and steady.

-Second to last fill and sand finished at 150 grit for all laminate surfaces.
-Laminate cut for 95% of the final product.

bubbrik likes this.

post #29 of 44 Old 05-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Amazing work- Lit a fire under my a** to want to make something similar for my dual VBSS and make it a audio rack
kagtha likes this.
post #30 of 44 Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Following the awesomeness.
kagtha likes this.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Eosone RSF 600 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS - 2 @ VBSS End Tables
DIY 110" AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page