AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   DIYSG Elusive 1099 build (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3037072-diysg-elusive-1099-build.html)

sassuki 12-22-2018 08:41 PM

DIYSG Elusive 1099 build
 
Nothing out of the ordinary here. I’m building a few 1099s for LCR duty and thought I’d document my experience. They are not going to look pretty or anything since they’ll be behind a screen.

I decided to build them without flat packs or crossover boards cause it felt like that would be cheating a bit. The DIY aspect of the build is what I enjoy most as well as getting a superior product for the least amount of money by putting in a little sweat equity. I’ve built quite a few car subwoofer boxes for myself and friends back in the day, so the enclosure part wasn’t a concern. I had, however, never built a crossover. I have done enough soldering to be comfortable enough soldering parts together from someone else’s plan. I laid out the crossover components on a piece of thin mdf and followed a schematic that I found here on AVS. If I can find the original thread or download, I’ll link it here. I’ll also include the cut list I used since I was unable to find one before I started. Hopefully this info is helpful to someone else planning to build these beauties. Thanks to all the others who have come before me and helped me make this build successful. I think I’ve read every 1099 build thread on avs.

Anyway, here we go:

Pile of wood:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...651e72df13.jpg

Crossovers started:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6b881381b8.jpg

Crossovers wired. The available boards would make this much easier. The boards were included in my volt10s that I’m also building and those were very quick to assemble. I numbered and lettered all the connections on the plan and my actual board so it was easy to just cut the wires to length and solder them to the appropriate parts. Many of the leads were long enough to solder directly to each other so not as much wire was needed once I realized that. The less stripping and tinning I have to do, the better.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b2b7f662d1.jpg

Be sure to have lots of clamps available:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0536038147.jpg

45lb Subwoofers work if you don’t have enough clamps:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...45f2b5c734.jpg

All assembled, ready for paint:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...006e083bf1.jpg

Painted. I just used some flat black spray paint I had left over from painting my can lights and vents in the theater. They will be hidden behind an AT screen:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...68ef58e3c7.jpg

Testing the crossover:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ca5d1728ef.jpg

I put this switch in the speaker terminal cup so I could turn on/off the optional tweeter resistor, but then realized the switch isn’t air tight. I put a good layer of hot glue over the back of it to hopefully seal it up. Not sure if I’ll do the switch here on the other two speakers. I may just have it come out through one of the ports.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc51f9b28d.jpg

Final result. Like I said, nothing too pretty, but they’ll be behind a screen:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c330c35b0d.jpg

Here’s where they will live. Temporary bed sheet screen moved out of the way temporarily:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...96f24ce376.jpg

sassuki 12-22-2018 08:48 PM

Reserved for cutlist and crossover diagram that I used.

jehlinge 12-22-2018 08:50 PM

I especially like using the subwoofer drivers as weight to "clamp up" other speaker enclosures!!!

BKEW 12-22-2018 08:59 PM

LOL I just built the GSG Minimartys and used both my UM18's as weight also. It said to use 50-100lbs :)

kevings 12-22-2018 09:29 PM

Sassuki, that resistor switch you mounted is slick! Nice work there and on the 1099's as well.

sassuki 12-23-2018 07:33 AM

Thanks guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one putting my subwoofers to good use before they’re put to really good use where they belong.

One thing I was wondering about as I built this first of the 1099s: is it ok to have the crossover in the mid chamber that’s stuffed with insulation and no venting? Won’t it get hot? Does it matter?

bebb 12-24-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassuki (Post 57314796)
Nothing out of the ordinary here. I’m building a few 1099s for LCR duty and thought I’d document my experience. They are not going to look pretty or anything since they’ll be behind a screen.

I decided to build them without flat packs or crossover boards cause it felt like that would be cheating a bit. Crossovers started:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6b881381b8.jpg

Crossovers wired. The available boards would make this much easier. The boards were included in my volt10s that I’m also building and those were very quick to assemble. I numbered and lettered all the connections on the plan and my actual board so it was easy to just cut the wires to length and solder them to the appropriate parts. Many of the leads were long enough to solder directly to each other so not as much wire was needed once I realized that. The less stripping and tinning I have to do, the better.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b2b7f662d1.jpg


I put this switch in the speaker terminal cup so I could turn on/off the optional tweeter resistor, but then realized the switch isn’t air tight. I put a good layer of hot glue over the back of it to hopefully seal it up. Not sure if I’ll do the switch here on the other two speakers. I may just have it come out through one of the ports.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc51f9b28d.jpg

Wow, your crossovers look way more betterer than mine. I just hot glued the components to a backer and soldered everything together. Looks crappy, but nobody will ever see so who cares. But yours look nice.

That switch is a neat idea. Almost like an L-pad for a tweeter, except off/on instead of variable. @sassuki What is your impression of using it?

brian6751 12-25-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassuki (Post 57315938)
Thanks guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one putting my subwoofers to good use before they’re put to really good use where they belong.

One thing I was wondering about as I built this first of the 1099s: is it ok to have the crossover in the mid chamber that’s stuffed with insulation and no venting? Won’t it get hot? Does it matter?

Nice work! you're going to really enjoy the 1099's. They are incredible speakers. Crossover is fine in the mid chamber. Thats where most people put them.

chiptouz 12-27-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebb (Post 57322946)
Wow, your crossovers look way more betterer than mine. I just hot glued the components to a backer and soldered everything together. Looks crappy, but nobody will ever see so who cares. But yours look nice.



That switch is a neat idea. Almost like an L-pad for a tweeter, except off/on instead of variable. @sassuki What is your impression of using it?



Yeah I would like to know if you like the pad on or off for the 1099’s. I have mine off and live the sound.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sassuki 12-29-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebb (Post 57322946)
That switch is a neat idea. Almost like an L-pad for a tweeter, except off/on instead of variable. @sassuki What is your impression of using it?


Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptouz (Post 57334782)
Yeah I would like to know if you like the pad on or off for the 1099’s. I have mine off and live the sound.


I haven’t done enough listening/comparing yet. I just got them hooked up in the room yesterday so I will have to see what I think of them being on or off. I currently have them off and they sound awesome. I am having a blast listening to my favorite stuff. I can’t wait to get the subs done.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f29d656f10.jpg

bebb 12-30-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassuki (Post 57342554)
I can’t wait to get the subs done.

Please post your impression once you do.

chiptouz 12-31-2018 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassuki (Post 57342554)
I haven’t done enough listening/comparing yet. I just got them hooked up in the room yesterday so I will have to see what I think of them being on or off. I currently have them off and they sound awesome. I am having a blast listening to my favorite stuff. I can’t wait to get the subs done.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f29d656f10.jpg


Yeah I am with you. I thought about using the LPAD but decided against it. I don’t feel that I needed it. I, like you, also built two LTD02 designed subs with um18-22’s and love the completely setup!!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kagtha 02-04-2019 10:03 AM

Nice build, are you working on a couple Martys for those Ultimaxes?

sassuki 02-05-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kagtha (Post 57549288)
Nice build, are you working on a couple Martys for those Ultimaxes?

Yes, I’m working on 4 UM18-22s that will be powered by a 14k sanway clone amp. I currently have the amp hooked up to a couple old Pioneer IMPP 10 inch subs that I had in my garage and it already sounds great. The four 18s should be fun. Here’s what I modeled in sketchup so far. These are 11 cu ft boxes with side ports tuned to 17hz that eng-999 designed for the Ashton cove theater, but may work nicely in my space too. We shall see... I’ll start a build thread for the subs once I talk to eng and buy the wood.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4da22d2893.jpg

sassuki 02-14-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kagtha (Post 57549288)
Nice build, are you working on a couple Martys for those Ultimaxes?


I just checked out your build kagtha. Man, those things are beautiful. Nice work. I wouldn’t have attempted my build if I wasn’t hiding them behind the screen.

I also saw this in your build thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodcom (Post 57186966)
Yep, I don't have a picture right off hand with it complete but I do have one of the WIP build pictures for it. What I did was put the switch within the terminal cup, that way it's hidden and fairly short wire runs for it. :)


Looks like my switch placement idea wasn’t very original. :)

mkohman 03-15-2019 11:24 AM

Guys can anyone please advise me how the Elusive 1099 compare to the HTM-12's? Currently I have the HTM-12s up front with the angled volt 8s for surrounds and love my setup but can't stop thinking about the 1099 lol :) Any idea how they compare? My setup is a 135" AT Screen and HTM-12's are behind the screen.. Thank you would love to know your thoughts :)

Rickreagan120 03-15-2019 12:03 PM

that screen dwarfs your 1099's. Sweet build!

sassuki 04-07-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickreagan120 (Post 57751454)
that screen dwarfs your 1099's. Sweet build!


Thanks! If you thought the screen dwarfed the 1099s, check them out next to the subs I just built. Lol. I also just built some stands for the 1099s to get them at proper ear height. It should help things sound better in the back row too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f373b74b79.jpg

sassuki 05-23-2019 05:12 PM


brian6751 05-27-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkohman (Post 57751146)
Guys can anyone please advise me how the Elusive 1099 compare to the HTM-12's? Currently I have the HTM-12s up front with the angled volt 8s for surrounds and love my setup but can't stop thinking about the 1099 lol :) Any idea how they compare? My setup is a 135" AT Screen and HTM-12's are behind the screen.. Thank you would love to know your thoughts :)

I know this was asked a while ago but I'm probably the only one whos been crazy enough to make this switch lol. Going from the HTM-12's to the 1099's, you will lose some refinement in the mids and highs but gain midrange detail/separation and amplifier headroom. The 1099 also sounds a bit "bigger". If you're already getting plenty loud enough with the HTM's, the biggest difference will be the midrange detail. That sealed center section is tough to beat for midrange.

Hope that helps.

mkohman 05-27-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian6751 (Post 58104100)
I know this was asked a while ago but I'm probably the only one whos been crazy enough to make this switch lol. Going from the HTM-12's to the 1099's, you will lose some refinement in the mids and highs but gain midrange detail/separation and amplifier headroom. The 1099 also sounds a bit "bigger". If you're already getting plenty loud enough with the HTM's, the biggest difference will be the midrange detail. That sealed center section is tough to beat for midrange.



Hope that helps.

Thank you I've decided to stick with my HTM-12s they get plenty loud and detailed with no fatiguing whatsoever.. Thank you so much for your reply [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.