• 3 Post By brian6751
  • 1 Post By mkohman

post #1 of 21 Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 191
DIYSG Elusive 1099 build

Nothing out of the ordinary here. I’m building a few 1099s for LCR duty and thought I’d document my experience. They are not going to look pretty or anything since they’ll be behind a screen.

I decided to build them without flat packs or crossover boards cause it felt like that would be cheating a bit. The DIY aspect of the build is what I enjoy most as well as getting a superior product for the least amount of money by putting in a little sweat equity. I’ve built quite a few car subwoofer boxes for myself and friends back in the day, so the enclosure part wasn’t a concern. I had, however, never built a crossover. I have done enough soldering to be comfortable enough soldering parts together from someone else’s plan. I laid out the crossover components on a piece of thin mdf and followed a schematic that I found here on AVS. If I can find the original thread or download, I’ll link it here. I’ll also include the cut list I used since I was unable to find one before I started. Hopefully this info is helpful to someone else planning to build these beauties. Thanks to all the others who have come before me and helped me make this build successful. I think I’ve read every 1099 build thread on avs.

Anyway, here we go:

Pile of wood:

Crossovers started:

Crossovers wired. The available boards would make this much easier. The boards were included in my volt10s that I’m also building and those were very quick to assemble. I numbered and lettered all the connections on the plan and my actual board so it was easy to just cut the wires to length and solder them to the appropriate parts. Many of the leads were long enough to solder directly to each other so not as much wire was needed once I realized that. The less stripping and tinning I have to do, the better.

Be sure to have lots of clamps available:

45lb Subwoofers work if you don’t have enough clamps:

All assembled, ready for paint:

Painted. I just used some flat black spray paint I had left over from painting my can lights and vents in the theater. They will be hidden behind an AT screen:

Testing the crossover:

I put this switch in the speaker terminal cup so I could turn on/off the optional tweeter resistor, but then realized the switch isn’t air tight. I put a good layer of hot glue over the back of it to hopefully seal it up. Not sure if I’ll do the switch here on the other two speakers. I may just have it come out through one of the ports.

Final result. Like I said, nothing too pretty, but they’ll be behind a screen:

Here’s where they will live. Temporary bed sheet screen moved out of the way temporarily:

Last edited by sassuki; 12-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved for cutlist and crossover diagram that I used.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I especially like using the subwoofer drivers as weight to "clamp up" other speaker enclosures!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-22-2018, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LOL I just built the GSG Minimartys and used both my UM18's as weight also. It said to use 50-100lbs
Pradeep2, kagtha, sassuki and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Sassuki, that resistor switch you mounted is slick! Nice work there and on the 1099's as well.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-23-2018, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one putting my subwoofers to good use before they’re put to really good use where they belong.

One thing I was wondering about as I built this first of the 1099s: is it ok to have the crossover in the mid chamber that’s stuffed with insulation and no venting? Won’t it get hot? Does it matter?
post #7 of 21 Old 12-24-2018, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassuki View Post
Nothing out of the ordinary here. I’m building a few 1099s for LCR duty and thought I’d document my experience. They are not going to look pretty or anything since they’ll be behind a screen.

I decided to build them without flat packs or crossover boards cause it felt like that would be cheating a bit. Crossovers started:

Crossovers wired. The available boards would make this much easier. The boards were included in my volt10s that I’m also building and those were very quick to assemble. I numbered and lettered all the connections on the plan and my actual board so it was easy to just cut the wires to length and solder them to the appropriate parts. Many of the leads were long enough to solder directly to each other so not as much wire was needed once I realized that. The less stripping and tinning I have to do, the better.

I put this switch in the speaker terminal cup so I could turn on/off the optional tweeter resistor, but then realized the switch isn’t air tight. I put a good layer of hot glue over the back of it to hopefully seal it up. Not sure if I’ll do the switch here on the other two speakers. I may just have it come out through one of the ports.
Wow, your crossovers look way more betterer than mine. I just hot glued the components to a backer and soldered everything together. Looks crappy, but nobody will ever see so who cares. But yours look nice.

That switch is a neat idea. Almost like an L-pad for a tweeter, except off/on instead of variable. @sassuki What is your impression of using it?
kagtha likes this.

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #8 of 21 Old 12-25-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Thanks guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one putting my subwoofers to good use before they’re put to really good use where they belong.

One thing I was wondering about as I built this first of the 1099s: is it ok to have the crossover in the mid chamber that’s stuffed with insulation and no venting? Won’t it get hot? Does it matter?
Nice work! you're going to really enjoy the 1099's. They are incredible speakers. Crossover is fine in the mid chamber. Thats where most people put them.
sassuki likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #9 of 21 Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebb View Post
Wow, your crossovers look way more betterer than mine. I just hot glued the components to a backer and soldered everything together. Looks crappy, but nobody will ever see so who cares. But yours look nice.

That switch is a neat idea. Almost like an L-pad for a tweeter, except off/on instead of variable. @sassuki What is your impression of using it?

Yeah I would like to know if you like the pad on or off for the 1099’s. I have mine off and live the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BCRSS likes this.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds; Denon AVC X6500h
post #10 of 21 Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Yeah I would like to know if you like the pad on or off for the 1099’s. I have mine off and live the sound.

I haven’t done enough listening/comparing yet. I just got them hooked up in the room yesterday so I will have to see what I think of them being on or off. I currently have them off and they sound awesome. I am having a blast listening to my favorite stuff. I can’t wait to get the subs done.

d-rail34, chiptouz, bebb and 2 others like this.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I can’t wait to get the subs done.
Please post your impression once you do.

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #12 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
I haven’t done enough listening/comparing yet. I just got them hooked up in the room yesterday so I will have to see what I think of them being on or off. I currently have them off and they sound awesome. I am having a blast listening to my favorite stuff. I can’t wait to get the subs done.

Yeah I am with you. I thought about using the LPAD but decided against it. I don’t feel that I needed it. I, like you, also built two LTD02 designed subs with um18-22’s and love the completely setup!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kagtha likes this.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds; Denon AVC X6500h
post #13 of 21 Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Nice build, are you working on a couple Martys for those Ultimaxes?

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
Yes, I’m working on 4 UM18-22s that will be powered by a 14k sanway clone amp. I currently have the amp hooked up to a couple old Pioneer IMPP 10 inch subs that I had in my garage and it already sounds great. The four 18s should be fun. Here’s what I modeled in sketchup so far. These are 11 cu ft boxes with side ports tuned to 17hz that eng-999 designed for the Ashton cove theater, but may work nicely in my space too. We shall see... I’ll start a build thread for the subs once I talk to eng and buy the wood.
kagtha and fullhorn like this.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post

I just checked out your build kagtha. Man, those things are beautiful. Nice work. I wouldn’t have attempted my build if I wasn’t hiding them behind the screen.

I also saw this in your build thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcom View Post
Yep, I don't have a picture right off hand with it complete but I do have one of the WIP build pictures for it. What I did was put the switch within the terminal cup, that way it's hidden and fairly short wire runs for it.

Looks like my switch placement idea wasn’t very original.
kagtha likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Guys can anyone please advise me how the Elusive 1099 compare to the HTM-12's? Currently I have the HTM-12s up front with the angled volt 8s for surrounds and love my setup but can't stop thinking about the 1099 lol Any idea how they compare? My setup is a 135" AT Screen and HTM-12's are behind the screen.. Thank you would love to know your thoughts
post #17 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
that screen dwarfs your 1099's. Sweet build!
chiptouz and sassuki like this.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-07-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickreagan120 View Post
that screen dwarfs your 1099's. Sweet build!

Thanks! If you thought the screen dwarfed the 1099s, check them out next to the subs I just built. Lol. I also just built some stands for the 1099s to get them at proper ear height. It should help things sound better in the back row too.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-23-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

post #20 of 21 Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Guys can anyone please advise me how the Elusive 1099 compare to the HTM-12's? Currently I have the HTM-12s up front with the angled volt 8s for surrounds and love my setup but can't stop thinking about the 1099 lol Any idea how they compare? My setup is a 135" AT Screen and HTM-12's are behind the screen.. Thank you would love to know your thoughts
I know this was asked a while ago but I'm probably the only one whos been crazy enough to make this switch lol. Going from the HTM-12's to the 1099's, you will lose some refinement in the mids and highs but gain midrange detail/separation and amplifier headroom. The 1099 also sounds a bit "bigger". If you're already getting plenty loud enough with the HTM's, the biggest difference will be the midrange detail. That sealed center section is tough to beat for midrange.

Hope that helps.
sassuki, mkohman and kagtha like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #21 of 21 Old 05-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
I know this was asked a while ago but I'm probably the only one whos been crazy enough to make this switch lol. Going from the HTM-12's to the 1099's, you will lose some refinement in the mids and highs but gain midrange detail/separation and amplifier headroom. The 1099 also sounds a bit "bigger". If you're already getting plenty loud enough with the HTM's, the biggest difference will be the midrange detail. That sealed center section is tough to beat for midrange.

Hope that helps.
Thank you I've decided to stick with my HTM-12s they get plenty loud and detailed with no fatiguing whatsoever.. Thank you so much for your reply

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
brian6751 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page