Nothing out of the ordinary here. I’m building a few 1099s for LCR duty and thought I’d document my experience. They are not going to look pretty or anything since they’ll be behind a screen.
I decided to build them without flat packs or crossover boards cause it felt like that would be cheating a bit. The DIY aspect of the build is what I enjoy most as well as getting a superior product for the least amount of money by putting in a little sweat equity. I’ve built quite a few car subwoofer boxes for myself and friends back in the day, so the enclosure part wasn’t a concern. I had, however, never built a crossover. I have done enough soldering to be comfortable enough soldering parts together from someone else’s plan. I laid out the crossover components on a piece of thin mdf and followed a schematic that I found here on AVS. If I can find the original thread or download, I’ll link it here. I’ll also include the cut list I used since I was unable to find one before I started. Hopefully this info is helpful to someone else planning to build these beauties. Thanks to all the others who have come before me and helped me make this build successful. I think I’ve read every 1099 build thread on avs.
Anyway, here we go:
Pile of wood:
Crossovers wired. The available boards would make this much easier. The boards were included in my volt10s that I’m also building and those were very quick to assemble. I numbered and lettered all the connections on the plan and my actual board so it was easy to just cut the wires to length and solder them to the appropriate parts. Many of the leads were long enough to solder directly to each other so not as much wire was needed once I realized that. The less stripping and tinning I have to do, the better.
Be sure to have lots of clamps available:
45lb Subwoofers work if you don’t have enough clamps:
All assembled, ready for paint:
Painted. I just used some flat black spray paint I had left over from painting my can lights and vents in the theater. They will be hidden behind an AT screen:
Testing the crossover:
I put this switch in the speaker terminal cup so I could turn on/off the optional tweeter resistor, but then realized the switch isn’t air tight. I put a good layer of hot glue over the back of it to hopefully seal it up. Not sure if I’ll do the switch here on the other two speakers. I may just have it come out through one of the ports.
Final result. Like I said, nothing too pretty, but they’ll be behind a screen:
Here’s where they will live. Temporary bed sheet screen moved out of the way temporarily: