Happy new year, fellas! My holiday break was spent wrapping up this "soundbar" build I had been working on for the den system in my brother's house. I actually built the MDF cabinet itself over 2 years ago when it was originally destined to be built as a mantle piece for his last house. Thankfully, I never finished it since he ended up moving not long after I started it. Double thankfully, the component stand that sits under the wall mounted 65" TV in his new house allowed me to keep the basic box as-is dimensionally. I worked hard to have this wrapped up before spending new years at their house so last week was quite a push.
The basic box had no woofer holes or anything cut into it. I've had the 3 Volt-8 kits and crossovers in boxes for 2 years. Luckily, I was able to locate everything after searching for a bit. haha.
I brought home one of the doors from his TV stand on one of the visits to his house this past year so that I would have something to match the finish of the speaker to. I selected a roll of paper backed Maple veneer from my local Woodcraft for the build. It seemed to match his TV stand's grain pattern pretty well.
Let's cut some holes!
Next, I had to figure out how the port holes should be laid out. I texted the two options to my brother and let him choose. On the last soundbar like this I did for a friend in 2016, I had the ports for the two outside woofers stacked like this:
My brother decided he wanted them all in a line, and so it was!