Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid123 View Post
If you are:
Building ( which you are).....
Have the room/space......????.......I will assume yes....

Then......definitely go ported....

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Agreed, but if I go ported, what should the Tune be for a Center?? Or should I keep that sealed??

If you KRANK it.. They will Listen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzo07 View Post
Agreed, but if I go ported, what should the Tune be for a Center?? Or should I keep that sealed??
I would keep the center a sealed unit. If for some reason you think it should be ported....simply match the other two.

post #33 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
1299 Ported towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid123 View Post
I would keep the center a sealed unit. If for some reason you think it should be ported....simply match the other two.

I would do the best you can to match all three front speakers. If not three identical towers, then at least 3 identical cabs ported to the same fq. You don’t want any difference being audible between the three most important speakers in the whole room. The single most important being the center.
What is the number guys? 85% of content is from the center?
BrianC69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I misread the thread title and thought you built ported 1899's. Then I wondered what monster speakers you had behind your screen..
Nice build thou, the veneer turned out great!
Jk7.2 likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #35 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
I would do the best you can to match all three front speakers. If not three identical towers, then at least 3 identical cabs ported to the same fq. You don’t want any difference being audible between the three most important speakers in the whole room. The single most important being the center.
This is what I've always thought, as well. Especially for HT. Sure, the bulk of a movie soundtrack and most of the dialogue is in the center channel, scenes with a lot of movement or action will spread to the L&R channels, and you don't want it to sound different or less robust.

I'm a 50/50 music and movie guy, but even with music I like using multi-channel steering. That's a situation where I wish all of my speakers were identical... L,C,R,sides & rears. But, I don't have a dedicated room where I can afford the space of large sides and rears.

Racked: Marantz AV-7005, Oppo BDP-105d, Custom-built HTPC, Custom-built enterprise media server (21TB, expandable), Soundstream DA-2 (x2), Cinepro 3k6SE3 Gold (x2)
Making noise: Fosgate Audionics MC-220 LCRs, SD-180 Dipoles, Twin MartyCubes w/SI HT-18's.
post #36 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Aaahhh making me reevaluate my design now lol. I was going to go with ported left and right and a sealed center. Currently working on my cut list for the boxes and veneer right now.
post #37 of 43 Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
I recently completed building 2 1299 towers with a slot port, for listening to at the upcoming SE MI GTG at my place and then at @hd0823 place. I’ve posted pics and info about them in others threads, but I think these deserve their own thread. I’m hoping the 40 people coming next weekend can post some listening impressions here for others to get an idea what you get from a design like this. Thanks to @eng-399 for helping model the ported cab, and always answering my questions! Here I go......
Those look amazing. Makes me want to rebuild mine....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #38 of 43 Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Where they sit right now they are way to close to the front row. And placement is bad, so close to the side walls, but from the back row the imaging of the soundstage is fantastic.
What is the distance from the speakers to your front row & back row? I really want some 1299s but I would be at 12' currently and am afraid if I move to a new house I would end up closer making these not a great option which would really bum me out
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #39 of 43 Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post
What is the distance from the speakers to your front row & back row? I really want some 1299s but I would be at 12' currently and am afraid if I move to a new house I would end up closer making these not a great option which would really bum me out

FYI,
The designer Tux had told me in an IM that he recommends sitting at least 8’ from the front of the speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #40 of 43 Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My front row is 10’ from the screen/speakers to my head. It’s perfect with my 125” 235 screen. My comments that the 1299s are too close is because they aren’t behind my screen, they are just up in the front corners of the room. It will work for everyone to get a feel for how they sound, but it’s not ideal. But I’m not dragging my titans out from the screen. Lol i think its only 14’ to the back bar stools. Hope this helps clarify what i said earlier.
post #41 of 43 Old 01-11-2020, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Here’s the design. Overall dimensions of 14.75 wide, 16” deep, 52” tall. Roughly 6cf of internal space. For a tune of 30 hz, this requires a 2” slot port, full cab width by 9” deep. I came up with this cutlist and had a local lumberyard cut perfect mdf to size. Note that the back panel sits recessed 1/4” for design ‘flare’ lol.

Top/bottom
[email protected] 14.75 X 16
Sides
[email protected] 16 X 50.5
Backs
[email protected] 13.25 X 50.5
Fronts
[email protected] 13.25 x 9.5
Ports
[email protected] 13.25 X 9”
Braces
[email protected] 13.25 X 14.25 (between back and front panel, below baffle)
[email protected] 13.25 X 15” (behind baffle)

1st mock up.
IMG
Your speakers and build looks perfect!

I want to build the exact same speakers, but with the center, with the walnut veneer and all. It'll be a great match to my set of solid walnut Ohm Walsh speakers, which I'll use for surrounds. If not, I'll build different surrounds and put the Ohms in my office. I digress....

It looks like you have your own cut sheet, was this on purpose? Although no longer listed on DIYSG website, I did notice @Erich H used to have the following dimensions for the 1299:
Code:
     14.75" W x 40" H x 13" D sealed
     14.75" W x 52" H x 14" D ported
Does that mean it was possible to get the flat-packs which are 52" high vs. cutting your own MDF? Is there a reason you went the cut route?

I don't have a table saw, nor the ability to make perfectly cut MDF pieces, thus my curiosity. I'd rather go the "flat-pack" route, but I definitely want the L/R speakers to stand a little taller.

Thanks for your write-up... very concise, but answers all the important questions about the build/materials... and the speakers are beauties!

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #42 of 43 Old 01-11-2020, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post
Your speakers and build looks perfect!

I want to build the exact same speakers, but with the center, with the walnut veneer and all. It'll be a great match to my set of solid walnut Ohm Walsh speakers, which I'll use for surrounds. If not, I'll build different surrounds and put the Ohms in my office. I digress....

It looks like you have your own cut sheet, was this on purpose? Although no longer listed on DIYSG website, I did notice @Erich H used to have the following dimensions for the 1299:

Code:
     14.75" W x 40" H x 13" D sealed

14.75" W x 52" H x 14" D ported

Does that mean it was possible to get the flat-packs which are 52" high vs. cutting your own MDF? Is there a reason you went the cut route?

I don't have a table saw, nor the ability to make perfectly cut MDF pieces, thus my curiosity. I'd rather go the "flat-pack" route, but I definitely want the L/R speakers to stand a little taller.

Thanks for your write-up... very concise, but answers all the important questions about the build/materials... and the speakers are beauties!

Thanks! I designed my own ported cabs, because there isn’t a ported flat pack available for the 1299’s. At least not a floor standing design. So I just used a port calculator and had @eng-399 double check me in winisd, and they were good to go. These are huge speakers in the cabs I built, so be aware of that if you build them. And I ordered my mdf cut to exact size from a local lumber yard. You’ll be able to find a place that does that near you.
eng-399 likes this.
post #43 of 43 Old 01-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Thanks! I designed my own ported cabs, because there isn’t a ported flat pack available for the 1299’s. At least not a floor standing design. So I just used a port calculator and had @eng-399 double check me in winisd, and they were good to go. These are huge speakers in the cabs I built, so be aware of that if you build them. And I ordered my mdf cut to exact size from a local lumber yard. You’ll be able to find a place that does that near you.
I thought the 52" height listed at DIYSG was a floor stander.

The size is a little concerning, but the design looks more aesthetically pleasing to me than the 1099 with the ports in that. Thanks for the tip regarding MDF cutting, hadn't considered that.

Thanks for the response! I may bug you more after I move into my new house and have specific questions as I'm ready to build

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page