Gain issues with NX6000D - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The problem with separate EQ is you can spend a bunch of time making each sub ruler flat by itself and then you go and play them together and check the frequency response only to find you have a hot mess again. I’d sweep each sub independently and then a 3rd sweep with both combined. You’re looking for the combined response to be higher on across the board. If they aren’t, mess with delay to a single sub until the output combines constructively. Then they are acting together as a single source and now go apply any EQ you want to the pair of them together.

Also about the boosting music vs movies, I do the same thing all the time. But we have to be smart about it, especially if your going to really push them. I listen to electronic music quite a bit that I don’t boost at all because it’s already so hot in the bass region. I’ve got my main calibration set for full bandwidth movies with my sub trim in the avr at -10. Then when I want the bass level boosted for some more mainstream music I just pop the trim level for the sub up usually about 10dbs or so depending on the style of music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked: 9603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
The problem with separate EQ is you can spend a bunch of time making each sub ruler flat by itself and then you go and play them together and check the frequency response only to find you have a hot mess again. I’d sweep each sub independently and then a 3rd sweep with both combined. You’re looking for the combined response to be higher on across the board. If they aren’t, mess with delay to a single sub until the output combines constructively. Then they are acting together as a single source and now go apply any EQ you want to the pair of them together.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting he EQ them separately like that. I was just listing a bunch of the things that can be different between different subs making gain-matching an inexact science, and EQ is one that CAN be different, for a reason like I mentioned such as a resonance, or in the case of a commercial sub, there may be built-in EQ, or maybe when mixing sealed and ported someone might choose to put an LT on their sealed before combining.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #33 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting he EQ them separately like that. I was just listing a bunch of the things that can be different between different subs making gain-matching an inexact science, and EQ is one that CAN be different, for a reason like I mentioned such as a resonance, or in the case of a commercial sub, there may be built-in EQ, or maybe when mixing sealed and ported someone might choose to put an LT on their sealed before combining.
Right, I agree with you. I was just making sure he understands why the usual recommendation is to EQ as a single unit and avoid chasing the rabbit down the individual sub EQ hole. Even though sometimes if you know what you are trying to accomplish it can still be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Hey guys haven’t some issues setting the gain properly on my NX6000D. My setup is a Marantz sr7012 single sub output going into a mini dsp HD. Port 1 on the mini goes to my NX6000D and port 2 goes to my fv25hp. Connected to the NX6000D is a UXL-18 sub in a ever so slightly smaller than a mini Marty enclosure.

Process:
Unplug all speakers.
Play very heavy bass movies such as the intro to ready player one at reference. Turn the attenuation knob on the NX6000D all the way up.

Doing so causes input clipping around -15db much earlier than expecting. I then go into the mini dsp and turn down the channel to ensure that the input clipping is corrected. This results in a -11db setting for the output channel used by the NX6000D. This seems quite excessive.

Wouldn’t adjusting the attenuation knob on the front be the exact same as reducing the output in the mini dsp? Which is preferred?

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong if anything? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pardon me but i am wondering what prevents you from selling the 15s and buying 3 more 18 inch subwoofers?
Pardon me for asking about this.

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount.
Pending create diy riser Bass shakers , buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains get new 4k projector
I can hear my wallet screaming already
post #35 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
They way you describe Audyssey wanting the 75Db is exactly what I was saying. Audyssey wants 75Db so mathematically since I know -11 is where my trim needs to be and I like to run it hot another day 8 dB by running Audyssey at 94 dB and then putting the trim to -11 should in theory give you the same effect. Unless I’m missing something which is always possible haha.

Yes I have an hs12 set per LTD02 method of forcing the filter below 20. Mine is set to -6

The only reason I am gain matching is bc all of the reading I have done on the two types (gain and level matching) most all of them say to use gain matching so I simply obliged. Really nothing more than that.

Yes I have a location for all subs and like it or not the wife asked the the sub I built match for symmetry so basically has to stay where they are. The subs are about 6-7 feet apart maybe more I’ll post up a pic

Pardon me but i see two same size cabinets with 2 15s in one cabinet and a single 18 in the other cabinet.
Please pardon me but why not 2 18 inch subwoofers? One per cabinet?
Sorry about asking about this just curious?

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount.
Pending create diy riser Bass shakers , buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains get new 4k projector
post #36 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Pardon me but i see two same size cabinets with 2 15s in one cabinet and a single 18 in the other cabinet.

The one with 2 15” subs is a Rythmik fv25hp store bought sub. The 18” is a DIY sub I made to similar dimensions except a little deeper and an inch wider to add some volume. Rythmik was my introduction to quality bass. The 18” was I’m too poor to buy another Rythmik and my bass response is terrible due to the open design floor plan.

The wife won’t allow 3 large subs since only have walls on half of the room. Hell im shocked I was able to get away with the 2 to be honest.

Russell Burrows likes this.

Always destroying exergy!
post #37 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he already owned the dual-15 sub, and then built the single-18 to match the size. Both are very capable, so they aren't a bad pairing.
Russell Burrows likes this.

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #38 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The one with 2 15” subs is a Rythmik fv25hp store bought sub. The 18” is a DIY sub I made to similar dimensions except a little deeper and an inch wider to add some volume. Rythmik was my introduction to quality bass. The 18” was I’m too poor to buy another Rythmik and my bass response is terrible due to the open design floor plan.

The wife won’t allow 3 large subs since only have walls on half of the room. Hell im shocked I was able to get away with the 2 to be honest.

Just wondering if theres any way to perhaps use a basement furnace room for an ib setup?
Then if thats possible you can just do a single manifold cutout whilst hiding the four fi car audio ib318 v2 subs
.?

Then perhaps a look the subs are gone to not be seen for good waf?

In my case the waf was zero as wifey said my four sonotubes were yucky so i went ib with 2 ib318 v2 subs and the wife said sounds amazing and no problems if i want 8 ib318 v2 subwoofers but wifey does not know that i really want 32 ib318 v2 subwoofers.

post #39 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don’t have a basement or crawl space. I’m on a slab foundation and my 18” sub is a UXL-18. It’s very capable.

post #40 of 43 Old 01-29-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just wondering if theres any way to perhaps use a basement furnace room for an ib setup?
Then if thats possible you can just do a single manifold cutout whilst hiding the four fi car audio ib318 v2 subs
.?

Then perhaps a look the subs are gone to not be seen for good waf?

In my case the waf was zero as wifey said my four sonotubes were yucky so i went ib with 2 ib318 v2 subs and the wife said sounds amazing and no problems if i want 8 ib318 v2 subwoofers but wifey does not know that i really want 32 ib318 v2 subwoofers.
A single manifold still suffers from the same room issues that a single sub does, so you really want multiple manifolds in good locations for bass, just as you would with subs. Aside from that, it's a great way to hide a bunch of subs!

I think WAF went out the window for me when I put a couple 12' tall sonotube subs in our living room. From there, I just keept going. She's pretty much given up at this point

post #41 of 43 Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a little update for everyone. I have been a bit under the weather so I haven’t had the opportunity to really experiment. What I did do though was play around with level matching and in doing so found something very interesteding that was likely the cause to why my bass was so nonexistent. Basically I would gain match previously then stick the Rythmik in a sound null in my living room lol. Maybe not a null per say but absolutely zero room gain and likely a little lost. Switching over to level matching I immediately noticed the Rythmik doing its thing and kicking butt. Bass is much more pronounced. Working on getting the subs timed aligned as I have a dip of about 7-10db that I can’t quite get to go away. Changing the delay can move it quite a bit but haven’t found the magic number to reduce it the most yet. More to come!

post #42 of 43 Old 01-31-2019, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hey @superkyle , nice setup. I'm curious do both sub's sound the same or does the Rythmik sound better e.g., clean and tighter?

Femi

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
post #43 of 43 Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Gain issues with NX6000D

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
Hey @superkyle , nice setup. I'm curious do both sub's sound the same or does the Rythmik sound better e.g., clean and tighter?

Femi

Honestly they sound very similar. Maybe just maybe the Rythmik is a bit tighter but the UXL18 is an amazing driver. Costly but I wanted to as close as I could match the Rythmik with a single 18 and the uxl18 is about as good as a driver as you can buy.

I certainly would like to have two of your cap4000s for sure! Great subs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page