AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Thinking about active xover DIYSG - Crown ComTech? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3046314-thinking-about-active-xover-diysg-crown-comtech.html)

ZX3ST 01-27-2019 09:54 AM

Thinking about active xover DIYSG - Crown ComTech?

So I've been thinking about tinkering with going full-active on my DIYSG 1299s. Currently passive and powered by Marantz 7000 series amps.

I was browsing online and came upon what appears to be newish ComTech amps from Crown.
https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/pro...ivecore-series

Spec looks pretty decent. They're fanless, but can't say I have a fan noise complaint with the XLS2502s I'm using for subs. Quite compact at 1U for each chassis.

Anyone have any experience with these? I was thinking a CT4150 for each cabinet would be a decent setup. 1 channel for each woofer (or bridge 2 channels and run them parallel), 1 channel for the mids, 1 channel for the CD.

Open to suggestions of course. All you active users out there - what are you running?

Rowan611 01-27-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX3ST (Post 57507658)
So I've been thinking about tinkering with going full-active on my DIYSG 1299s. Currently passive and powered by Marantz 7000 series amps.

I was browsing online and came upon what appears to be newish ComTech amps from Crown.

Spec looks pretty decent. They're fanless, but can't say I have a fan noise complaint with the XLS2502s I'm using for subs. Quite compact at 1U for each chassis.

Anyone have any experience with these? I was thinking a CT4150 for each cabinet would be a decent setup. 1 channel for each woofer (or bridge 2 channels and run them parallel), 1 channel for the mids, 1 channel for the CD.

Open to suggestions of course. All you active users out there - what are you running?

Why?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ZX3ST 01-27-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan611 (Post 57507750)
Why?

I suppose because I can't leave well enough alone. All hypothetical at this point.

Rowan611 01-27-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX3ST (Post 57507770)
I suppose because I can't leave well enough alone. All hypothetical at this point.

Lol...yeah I get that. Another way to ask the question; what are you hoping to achieve?

I can't imagine them sounding that much better. I run 1299 LCR off two XLS 1500 Crowns. And, they sound awesome. So, I guess that's where I'm coming from with the "Why".

Not trying to be an antagonist.

ZX3ST 01-27-2019 10:56 AM

Well TBH, I'm experiencing some intelligibility in my center channel that I just can't seem to get rid of. Mostly with male voices. It feels like the mids are sometimes slightly out of phase, creating a hollow presence. I thought the combo of active xover and manual EQ adjustment for each driver might allow me to get a bit more fine-tuned. Plus more power never hurt anyone!

I've already done the troubleshooting dance with swapping xovers and drivers from the mains so I'm confident this isn't an electrical or driver issue.

Ming696 01-27-2019 12:27 PM

I can vouch for the CT series. I had a CT475 which was great, but I sold it for a CT8150. The 8150 is the same as a Lexicon DD-8 only the Lexicon uses unbalanced RCA inputs instead of balanced Phoenix connectors. These amps have good SNR and good power and don't use fans. I use mine with a Marantz AV7703 for surrounds and Atmos duty. If your budget is a little higher and you want more power with an option for DSP look up the DCI series. I have a DCI 4/1250N for subs and a DCI 8/300N for fronts, center and whatever else I want. Awesome amps in my opinion.

kennyandersen 01-28-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX3ST (Post 57507770)

Obviously you have too much money. Please PM me and I'll give you an address where you can send money -- I assure you it will go to a good home where it will be loved and cuddled.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ZX3ST 01-28-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyandersen (Post 57511336)
Obviously you have too much money. Please PM me and I'll give you an address where you can send money -- I assure you it will go to a good home where it will be loved and cuddled.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

LOL

Gonna go all Scrooge-McDuck and swim in it. :)

Chris Popovich 01-28-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan611 (Post 57507750)
Why?

I'm almost hurt that you would ask that question in the DIY section.

Rowan611 01-28-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Popovich (Post 57513226)
I'm almost hurt that you would ask that question in the DIY section.

I'm sure you'll manage :)

dwaleke 01-28-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX3ST (Post 57507658)

I did a similar thing with these amplifiers. I had a CT4150 and two CT875s running my L/C/R 3-way JTR 212HTRs fully active driven from a Motu 24AO with Jriver running Audiolense XO convolution filters.

Probably the best audio experience I had in my space.

If Audiolense didn't take care of the crossovers for me I likely would never have attempted it. At the end of the day I tore it all down as more and more content was coming through streaming services and there was no good way to pipe that into Jriver.