Need help and advice from Gurus of Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Need help and advice from Gurus of Audio

Hi people,

I've got an old HT system, it includes a DIY center speaker a DIY subwoofer, kenwood KRF 7773D receiver, control 5 rears (it was popular at the begining of 2000s), and Infinity SM-255 fronts.
Because I moved to another country in Europe, I couldn't bring huge Infinity front speakers and I bought a pair of JBL Northridge E80. And I renewed my Kenwood receiver with ONKYO NR 686 receiver.
Now, I want to update my whole speakers except jbl e80s. My DIY project steps as following:

STEP1 - CENTER CHANNEL DRIVERS UPGRADE: I firstly want to start with renewing my center channel's midrange (or fullrange, or woofer? I'm not so sure how it is called) drivers with better/professional ones. I want to keep my current MDF box (sealed) because its really very good quality. Can you please help me to choose the correct drivers for my current MDF box size ? I tried to use winisd, diyaudioandvideo website's calculators but unfortunately this calculators gives you the volume/dimension of box that you need to use -if you know which drivers you will use. But my situtation is different. How can I choose right drivers for my current center box? My MDF box size is as following :

H : 17,5cm (6,70inches) - W : 51cm (20inches) - D : 32cm (12,5inches)

Hole's diameter (baffle cutout) on the box : 12cm (4,7inches)

My old 2pcs drivers (which I bought on 2001 ) made in china very bad quality drivers (Brand : BOTS, Model: PA-5G40A1 8ohm). They are 6inches. Tweeter is B&C brand Model: D 32-8.
So, I want to buy 2pcs midrange (or full range ? ) professional and use them on my Center channel, and a proper XO also. Do you think I need to renew my current B&C tweeter too?

STEP2 - SUBWOOFER DRIVERS UPGRADE: I dont know if it is necessary or not. I made this subwoofer on 2001. I used a Kenwood KFC-WF303 subwoofer driver (4ohm 600w peak, 12inch) and the MDF box dimension (ported) as following :

H: 44,5cm (17,5inches) - W: 48,5cm (19inches) - D: 40,5cm (15,9inches)

I really have no idea with this onkyo receiver plus front JBL E80s and rear speakers (which I want to update too) if this kind of subwoofer driver will be compatible or I need to change this subwoofer driver also (as in the center channel I really want to keep this current MDF box) If yes, depending on this box dimensions/volume, what is the best subwoofer driver that I need to buy ?

PS: my current subwoofer does not have a crossover inside, do I need to use a crossover also ? If yes can you please let me know where can I buy that too ?

STEP 3 - DIY PROJECT FOR REAR AND BACK SPEAKERS : I read so many threads, topics, messages, DIY projects before I decided to write on here, please dont think I did not try to find my own best solution by myself first. But I know there are so many factors, values, calculations before making a decision to buy a new pair of rear or back speakers. My current Control 5 rear speakers are also very bad quality surround speakers. I really want to complete my HT system with correct drivers and correct speaker set. In next step I want to add 2 pairs of Dolby Atmos enabled speakers onto my fronts and rears, I read all dolby atmos DIY topics and messages and finally I decided to start my dolby atmos DIY as Javs project. For that atmos speakers I will order 16pcs Faital 4FE32 drivers and will make my own atmos add-on speakers. Depending on all these details, which surround speakers will be the best and reasonable choice for my HT system? Can you please suggest me some DIY or ready to buy surround speaker options please?

FINALLY STEP 4 - 2 PAIRS JAVS DOLBY ATMOS ENABLED SPEAKERS DIY : As I've written about it on step 3, I really want to add these 2 pairs add on atmos speakers to my system. Good to hear that, there is no need use XO for this speakers. Thanx once again to Javs for his awesome sharing.

I know most of you are professionals, gurus of audio. And I know you've written so many times to newbies they need to read, search, understand the logic. But I really spent my 2 months by reading all relevant topics, threads and messages but honestly I could not understand what I need to do or choose for my new drivers needs, except Javs dolby atmos DIY thread.

Please help me to start my this project by understand and know which drivers I need and which speakers DIY I need.

Becasue Im living in Europe, I prefer to buy Faital drivers for all my project steps. Because they are Italian manufacturer, it's really easy for me to find their products in Europe market without extra custom tax (which I will need to pay if I buy from US).

Thanx in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181205-WA0008.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2517168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190127_232913_resized_20190127_113137975.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2517170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190126_002756_resized_20190126_011115202.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	733.7 KB
ID:	2517172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_214624_resized_20190123_094717063.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2517174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_212447_resized_20190127_113139204.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	2517176  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_210951_resized_20190127_113138481.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	736.7 KB
ID:	2517178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I could not get any help or suggestion unfortunately...and I decided to ask their suggestion on Parts express tech dept. Charles was very helpful and patience for my tons of questions.

For center channel he suggest me to buy 2pcs Faital pro 5FE100 or 5FE120 for my current MDF box (H : 17,5cm (6,89 inch) W: 51cm (20 inch) D : 32cm (12,5inch))

And XO: Dayton Audio XO2W-4.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 4,500 Hz

What do you think guys, I really dont want to spend money for wrong drivers, I worry about that my center channel's sensitivity will not match with my rest of channels. Or, my mdf box dimensions/volume not correct size for this faital speakers...

I will appreciate if someone will comment or suggestion (please)
post #3 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Using a generic XO like that will not likely provide the best results. You may get lucky, but its doubtful...

What is the end game here?
I know you wish to upgrade, but haphazardly swapping drivers and XO's really isnt going to be an "upgrade"...
What your talking about doing, you really need to design an enclosure around the drivers you select and then design the XO to bring the whole thing together...
fullhorn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Using a generic XO like that will not likely provide the best results. You may get lucky, but its doubtful...

What is the end game here?
I know you wish to upgrade, but haphazardly swapping drivers and XO's really isnt going to be an "upgrade"...
What your talking about doing, you really need to design an enclosure around the drivers you select and then design the XO to bring the whole thing together...
thank you uniquepattern, I appreciate that finally someone write something. I agree what you suggest, because of that I written my first long post. But unfortunately nobody did not show me a way. I know I need to design an enclosure around the drivers and then depends on them I need to go on my project...but I really want to keep my current MDF box and want to find proper drivers for this box size/volume. Do you have a suggestion about which drivers that I need to choose for my this box size ?
post #5 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Well, to be honest, thats trying to build things backwards... You may find some drivers that will work (I mean you can toss just about anything in there with little more then a single cap XO if you want to - but it WILL SUCK) but honestly it will be a compromise.
Why do you want to keep that particular box? Lets start there...
post #6 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, to be honest, thats trying to build things backwards... You may find some drivers that will work (I mean you can toss just about anything in there with little more then a single cap XO if you want to - but it WILL SUCK) but honestly it will be a compromise.
I just thought that I can find correct better drivers which can compatible with this box's volume/dimensions. So that I want to keep this box. I can make a new box if the things which I thought is not possible (trying to build things backwards).

Plus, maybe I focused wrong things because I dont know the logic and the rules of best optimization of a HT system. I mean all speaker sensitivities need to match to each other in a ht system I know that but what else must be the compatible I really have no idea...

I just want to build a new set with onkyo nr686 + jbl e80, ofcourse for able to do it with best budget I want to use what I got now (if I can use my center and subwoofer boxes it will be good for me). But ofcourse it does not mean I dont care sound quality, I care...So, if you suggest me to dont use current boxes then I will not, I can start a new center DIY. I thought start to 1099 center DIY but then I doubt "what if this 1099 also not the correct choice for my JBL 80s" So... I really have support and suggestions.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnblack View Post
I just thought that I can find correct better drivers which can compatible with this box's volume/dimensions. So that I want to keep this box. I can make a new box if the things which I thought is not possible (trying to build things backwards).

Plus, maybe I focused wrong things because I dont know the logic and the rules of best optimization of a HT system. I mean all speaker sensitivities need to match to each other in a ht system I know that but what else must be the compatible I really have no idea...

I just want to build a new set with onkyo nr686 + jbl e80, ofcourse for able to do it with best budget I want to use what I got now (if I can use my center and subwoofer boxes it will be good for me). But ofcourse it does not mean I dont care sound quality, I care...So, if you suggest me to dont use current boxes then I will not, I can start a new center DIY. I thought start to 1099 center DIY but then I doubt "what if this 1099 also not the correct choice for my JBL 80s" So... I really have support and suggestions.
Hi lovnblack. Speaker design is a quite an involved exercise, and most builds here are either subwoofers or speakers from kits. You can find some great speaker building advice at diyaudio.com or htguide.com forums. That said, you can adjust to different speaker sensitivities with your receiver.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 4581
The B&C is like 107db/w/m and the Faital are like 88/w/m, there will be a 20db gap with generic XO's. Hope you have good EQ ...
post #9 of 31 Old 02-02-2019, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
The B&C is like 107db/w/m and the Faital are like 88/w/m, there will be a 20db gap with generic XO's. Hope you have good EQ ... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
diyaudio.com

Ow I didn't know there is so much dB difference, I thought Charles checked tweeter's specs and then suggest me faitals. So, I need to change tweeter also right? Or do you think I can find another drivers which can give dB as B&C or is too much for a center channel?
post #10 of 31 Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Red face

I have built mdf cabinets for my l,c,r and surrounds but i said nope as i am tossing everything in favor of 40 six inch drivers from parts express and 20 or 40 one inch soft dome tweeters.Cost aprox 20 dollars per six inch driver and ten dollars per each one inch soft dome tweeter.
8 six inch driver per tower and 4 or 8 inch soft dome tweeters per tower .
Thats my two cents on mains center surround and subwoofer i went infinite baffle .

Imho if the drivers are older than five years it made more sense to do a total redo.
Ymmv.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #11 of 31 Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi again uniquepattern, you said let's start here but we couldn't start 🙂

If we can't make calculation for which driver will be OK for my current box size (as you said before, if we can't build things backwards) and if I need to start from beginning, which center and rear/back channels that I need to select? What's important when you make selection? Front JBLs sensitivity, receiver output etc. What else? Can you help me to choose correct ones for matching with my JBLs, receiver and Javs Dolby atmos speakers?
post #12 of 31 Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 4581
Quote:
diyaudio.com

Ow I didn't know there is so much dB difference, I thought Charles checked tweeter's specs and then suggest me faitals. So, I need to change tweeter also right? Or do you think I can find another drivers which can give dB as B&C or is too much for a center channel?
Instead of throwing out the drivers, normally they add an LPad / voltage divider to the tweeter (or any driver that is too sensitive vs the others).

That way all the drivers are outputting the same db for a given input power.
You'll need to use enough resistors in parallel to handle the rated power.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Why not move the jbl's to surrounds and build some matching kits for the front 3? Can you find something like a JBL ec25 used if e80's must be used up front? Crossover design is not an easy endeavor. Acoustically matching a discountinued speaker line by shoehorning drivers into a set box using an off the shelf crossover is not going to be a desirable choice.

Subwoofers do not need a crossover, your reciever will take care of that. What size limits do you have and what drivers are available to you?

Its hard to give advice not knowing what diy kits, subwoofers drivers, speakers... are available to you.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Quote:
diyaudio.com

Instead of throwing out the drivers, normally they add an LPad / voltage divider to the tweeter (or any driver that is too sensitive vs the others).

That way all the drivers are outputting the same db for a given input power.
You'll need to use enough resistors in parallel to handle the rated power.
Thank you for this precious info, I will keep my tweeter and will use this method. But firstly I need to find correct drivers for my box size
post #15 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
thank you uniquepattern, I appreciate that finally someone write something. I agree what you suggest, because of that I written my first long post. But unfortunately nobody did not show me a way. I know I need to design an enclosure around the drivers and then depends on them I need to go on my project...but I really want to keep my current MDF box and want to find proper drivers for this box size/volume. Do you have a suggestion about which drivers that I need to choose for my this box size ?
I agree with @uniquepattern Speakers are just 1 piece of the puzzle. Swapping to different drivers is most likely going to require a redone crossover since the new drivers might have different performance than your current ones. You could look for new drivers that have identical specs to your current ones, but that wont give you any benefit, or very little if any.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with @uniquepattern Speakers are just 1 piece of the puzzle. Swapping to different drivers is most likely going to require a redone crossover since the new drivers might have different performance than your current ones. You could look for new drivers that have identical specs to your current ones, but that wont give you any benefit, or very little if any.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Quote:
Thank you for your comment liffie420. I have no idea about XO design rules, I just thought maybe if we can find correct faital drivers which needs and match with my box size, then some of the xo (available in online shops) can handle this B&C tweeter+2pcs faital drivers.

But...as you suggest if I try to find new drivers that have identical specs to my current ones, it will not work also. Because the problem is, my current drivers are very old and not special drivers, they are just made in China drivers, we didn't calculate and use these drivers on my center channel 15-17 years ago. Honestly, I'm sure I can't even find this drivers specs on internet, because they are just you know... China cheap things.

So, whats your suggestion? Try to find proper faital drivers for this box, or start a new center+rear+back channels DIY from beginning? (it brings another question; these new center, rear and back channels need to match with front JBLs?, which DIY kits that I need to choose? )
post #18 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Why not move the jbl's to surrounds and build some matching kits for the front 3? Can you find something like a JBL ec25 used if e80's must be used up front? Crossover design is not an easy endeavor. Acoustically matching a discountinued speaker line by shoehorning drivers into a set box using an off the shelf crossover is not going to be a desirable choice.

Subwoofers do not need a crossover, your reciever will take care of that. What size limits do you have and what drivers are available to you?

Its hard to give advice not knowing what diy kits, subwoofers drivers, speakers... are available to you.
Hi Luke, thank you for your comment. I had Infinity SM-255 before for fronts, but a few months ago I moved to another country and because of that infinity speakers are huge I sold them, and I just newly bought these JBLs. So that I dont want to use them as rear, if I can use them as fronts and if I can get a center, rears and back speakers, then Im thinking it will be cheaper solution for me to complete my ht system. I already add Javs Atmos enabled speakers DIY project in to my project list...so if I can make this current center better with 2pcs new faital drivers, then I can spend money only for rear/back surrounds and Javs atmos speakers (this things will be quite expensive already).

Depends on your professional advise, ok lets choose a new center DIY kit and rear/back DIY kit for my system, and lets throw this center to the trash. Which DIY kits are your suggestion ?

Im happy to hear that I dont need a XO for subwoofer, then I will go on with this subwoofer. Because of Im living in Europe, Faital pro is the best driver option for me, its easy to find in europe market. If I order something from US, then as you also know customs, extra TAX, VAT will be trouble and expensive...
post #19 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your comment liffie420. I have no idea about XO design rules, I just thought maybe if we can find correct faital drivers which needs and match with my box size, then some of the xo (available in online shops) can handle this B&C tweeter+2pcs faital drivers.

But...as you suggest if I try to find new drivers that have identical specs to my current ones, it will not work also. Because the problem is, my current drivers are very old and not special drivers, they are just made in China drivers, we didn't calculate and use these drivers on my center channel 15-17 years ago. Honestly, I'm sure I can't even find this drivers specs on internet, because they are just you know... China cheap things.

So, whats your suggestion? Try to find proper faital drivers for this box, or start a new center+rear+back channels DIY from beginning? (it brings another question; these new center, rear and back channels need to match with front JBLs?, which DIY kits that I need to choose? )
From a strictly easiest to do route it would be look for a new kit maybe form one DIYSG or one of the other DIY sites, I don't know where you are located so shipping could be cost prohibitive. But yeah buying new drivers for your existing box is certainly possible, but as mentioned you could run into crossover issues, and a pre made XO may or may not work/be ideal. Starting over would be the best option since if you buy a flat pack kit all the design and XO work has already been done. As far as matching your fronts the center will be a problem but you could ask Erich with DIYSG if he has any suggestions of a center design they have that might compliment the JBL speakers you have.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
From a strictly easiest to do route it would be look for a new kit maybe form one DIYSG or one of the other DIY sites, I don't know where you are located so shipping could be cost prohibitive. But yeah buying new drivers for your existing box is certainly possible, but as mentioned you could run into crossover issues, and a pre made XO may or may not work/be ideal. Starting over would be the best option since if you buy a flat pack kit all the design and XO work has already been done. As far as matching your fronts the center will be a problem but you could ask Erich with DIYSG if he has any suggestions of a center design they have that might compliment the JBL speakers you have.

Its another reason why I want to keep my current MDF box and want to make my own DIY box, because Im living in Europe it will be very expensive shipping, but making MDF box by myself is the easiest thing for me on this project.

Thank you for suggestion to contact with Erich, I will
post #21 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Btw, can I ask you who is the master of XO ? lets say I found correct drivers for my current box dimensions and then who can provide me or help me to correct XO, kind of that thing is possible?
post #22 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Btw, can I ask you who is the master of XO ? lets say I found correct drivers for my current box dimensions and then who can provide me or help me to correct XO, kind of that thing is possible?
Honestly I don't know. I would look for drivers first and then work on the crossover part, the drivers and their specs dictate how the crossover would be built, I think. XO building is WAY out of my league, but this DIY forum is certainly the place to ask. As far as your previous response, you could just get the front baffle and speakers and XO components from a diy site that offers them, and buy your own MDF for the box locally. I don't know if any of the diy sites sell ONLY drivers and XO components without a baffle.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly I don't know. I would look for drivers first and then work on the crossover part, the drivers and their specs dictate how the crossover would be built, I think. XO building is WAY out of my league, but this DIY forum is certainly the place to ask. As far as your previous response, you could just get the front baffle and speakers and XO components from a diy site that offers them, and buy your own MDF for the box locally. I don't know if any of the diy sites sell ONLY drivers and XO components without a baffle.
It sounds it will take ages, I mean trying to find correct drivers for current box volume, after that trying to build or find correct XO...I cant even clarify which drivers I need in last 1 week. So, if I go on like this it will certainly not finish soon. I guess its better to try contact with Erich and ask his suggestion which center and rears will be ok for my current HT system. Thank you for your advice...
post #24 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It sounds it will take ages, I mean trying to find correct drivers for current box volume, after that trying to build or find correct XO...I cant even clarify which drivers I need in last 1 week. So, if I go on like this it will certainly not finish soon. I guess its better to try contact with Erich and ask his suggestion which center and rears will be ok for my current HT system. Thank you for your advice...
No problem. Yeah building a speaker from scratch, which is more or less what you are or were trying, is not a simple task. Finding drivers is fairly simple, building a XO from scratch is NOT unless you have at lease some fundamental electrical knowledge in regards to the components that make up a passive XO. there are active crossovers which can make things simpler, but they cost more.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem. Yeah building a speaker from scratch, which is more or less what you are or were trying, is not a simple task. Finding drivers is fairly simple, building a XO from scratch is NOT unless you have at lease some fundamental electrical knowledge in regards to the components that make up a passive XO. there are active crossovers which can make things simpler, but they cost more.
Actually I have enough electrical knowledge and I can find (order to my friends) all necesarry components, circuit board etc, if...I know what I need to create. Yesterday, after our conversation on here, I made a search on google and found very usefull video (and a free software) here :

And because I was born and grew up in a furniture industrial area (actually its 2nd biggest industrial area of the world after Italy) creating amazing MDF box and finished surface also not a problem for me (actually its a piece of cake for me)

So...ok... firstly I will try to contact with Erich and try to buy a DIY kit without MDF parts, if I cant...then I will go on to this difficult way...just I need to know which 2pcs drivers I can use for my current box dimension...I wish I could get this answer from someone on here. Or I wish I could use winisd software and could find out that driver by myself
post #26 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually I have enough electrical knowledge and I can find (order to my friends) all necesarry components, circuit board etc, if...I know what I need to create. Yesterday, after our conversation on here, I made a search on google and found very usefull video (and a free software) here : https://youtu.be/kJqvjjyHqqA

And because I was born and grew up in a furniture industrial area (actually its 2nd biggest industrial area of the world after Italy) creating amazing MDF box and finished surface also not a problem for me (actually its a piece of cake for me)

So...ok... firstly I will try to contact with Erich and try to buy a DIY kit without MDF parts, if I cant...then I will go on to this difficult way...just I need to know which 2pcs drivers I can use for my current box dimension...I wish I could get this answer from someone on here. Or I wish I could use winisd software and could find out that driver by myself
Winisd is free isn't it? Never used it. You could just search parts express, look by speaker size first, which I am sure you have, and get the parameters from a few that look interesting and plug them in winisd with your box size and see if they work. Thats kind of the hard part, well that and XO building, technically I would think ANY speaker that will fit the cut out in your current box will work. But working well is another story lol. Ive never really gone into the DIY end, always kind of wanted to, but I have neither the room nor the tools to do any building.
post #27 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=liffie420;57554882]
Quote:
plug them in winisd with your box size and see if they work.
That's what I tried so many times on winisd but couldn't work. That's the only thing I need actually, because I couldn't use and get what I wanted, I decided to write on here, and hoped that maybe some one (who know how to use winisd very well) can help me and suggest me to use xxx driver with your current box. I'm sure it's very easy, a few minutes effort for someone who knows winisd very well... But I guess it's my bad luck, couldn't get a help about it 🙂 maybe I need to work on winisd tutorials
post #28 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I guess move jbl's to surronds and build a matching LCR kit for front will be the best solution (after all my searchs, effort and confusing in last 1 month)

Do you think this JBL E80s will be a good choice for rear or back surround speakers ? (38Hz to 20kHz, XO Frequency: 300, 4000Hz, Sensitivity: 91dB)

And now the updated question is what is your suggestion for LCR ? My budget is not enough for Titans or 1299s. Maybe 1099s can be good for my current budget but I just want to ask your suggestion again, who knows maybe you will suggest me alternative DIY projects or kits ? Do you think if I use jbl e80s as rear speakers, 1099 LCR kit will be timbre match with them ?

PS: I will make Javs MKII dolby atmos 4 speakers with 16pcs FaitalPro 4FE32. So that Im worry about timbre match of all channels (?)
post #29 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
I guess move jbl's to surronds and build a matching LCR kit for front will be the best solution (after all my searchs, effort and confusing in last 1 month)

Do you think this JBL E80s will be a good choice for rear or back surround speakers ? (38Hz to 20kHz, XO Frequency: 300, 4000Hz, Sensitivity: 91dB)

And now the updated question is what is your suggestion for LCR ? My budget is not enough for Titans or 1299s. Maybe 1099s can be good for my current budget but I just want to ask your suggestion again, who knows maybe you will suggest me alternative DIY projects or kits ? Do you think if I use jbl e80s as rear speakers, 1099 LCR kit will be timbre match with them ?

PS: I will make Javs MKII dolby atmos 4 speakers with 16pcs FaitalPro 4FE32. So that Im worry about timbre match of all channels (?)
I have used three 1099 for my fronts for a few years as they checked the boxes I desired such as sensitivty, size, controlled directivity, horizontal center... Still very happy with them and not looking to change. I have heard several designs from diysoundgroup and like the seos waveguide in its design theory and in person.

IMO timber match surrounds not as important as much as the front soundstage. I think JBL would work fine as side surrounds. It is something that could be changed down the road if you find its not optimal or up to your standards.

I don't think you have enough subwoofer, and this would be my advise to up the subwoofer game after you have 3 new matching front speakers and using the jbl's as side surrounds in a 5.1 setup. I use four 18" subwoofers placed around the room to satisfy my bass cravings for output and frequency response smoothing.

I can't comment on the javs atmos speakers. I have not listened to a reflected atmos system. I use eight volt 8 lx speakers from diy sound group for all surrounds in a 7.1.4 setup. Others I know with systems local to me I have spent time in use physical speakers for atmos on or in the ceiling.

The room and system setup is very important to maximize results. I have a lot of bass trapping and 4" thick with a gap wall treatments and use a dayton omnimic to measure and setup system.

Hope this helps and good luck.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have used three 1099 for my fronts for a few years as they checked the boxes I desired such as sensitivty, size, controlled directivity, horizontal center... Still very happy with them and not looking to change. I have heard several designs from diysoundgroup and like the seos waveguide in its design theory and in person.

IMO timber match surrounds not as important as much as the front soundstage. I think JBL would work fine as side surrounds. It is something that could be changed down the road if you find its not optimal or up to your standards.

I don't think you have enough subwoofer, and this would be my advise to up the subwoofer game after you have 3 new matching front speakers and using the jbl's as side surrounds in a 5.1 setup. I use four 18" subwoofers placed around the room to satisfy my bass cravings for output and frequency response smoothing.

I can't comment on the javs atmos speakers. I have not listened to a reflected atmos system. I use eight volt 8 lx speakers from diy sound group for all surrounds in a 7.1.4 setup. Others I know with systems local to me I have spent time in use physical speakers for atmos on or in the ceiling.

The room and system setup is very important to maximize results. I have a lot of bass trapping and 4" thick with a gap wall treatments and use a dayton omnimic to measure and setup system.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Hi Luke, yes it is very helpful comment thank you very much. Then I will go on with 1099s for my LCR. You said "I dont think you have enough subwoofer..." Do you meant my subwoofer with kendwood drivers (600w peak, 12inch driver) will not be enough for my current system? Btw, Im planning to update my system to 7.1.4 ch not 5.1 is it makes any difference about your comments and suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page