Dual 18” ported Subwoofer design - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
When integrating multiple identical subs, you gain 6dB for every doubling of subs. So, 2 subs is 6dB more than 1, but it takes another 2 to gain another 6dB going from 2 to 4. And then continuing on, another 4 just to gain 6dB. But remember, this is doubling drivers, power, and enclosure volume.

As for your case of adding a second driver to an enclosure (and doubling the power), WinISD is showing you basically the whole difference. You'll notice the increase is similar in the higher range where you are limited by the drivers, whether that's by power or excursion, and that makes sense since you are doubling the drivers and power (although not enclosure volume). However, the gain where the port has taken over is much smaller, because with any good-sized ported box and a single driver, you're already pushing that port hard and into compression and probably on the verge of or already chuffing. This might seem like a bad thing about a ported box, but really, it's just showing you the massive efficiency of a port, and that efficiency increases with enclosure size.

Makes perfect sense. And that is something I was worried about. At low frequencies around 15 hz I do start to get some chuffing so I would plan on increasing the port dimensions to lower the air velocity if possible for sure.

Since I started with the Rythmik which is effectively 2 15 sub then added an 18” I feel that making this a dual 18” may not add very much if any at all. Problem is I almost don’t care haha. I would like to ensure I get a substantial benefit of course but having the extra power channel unused and the desire to shake walls makes me want to do this regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dual 18” ported Subwoofer design

Quote:
Is it possible for you to lengthen the port on your DIY sub and bring the tune down to the same 12.5Hz your other sub is at?

Do you mean lengthen the ports on the correct single 18” sub? I don’t think it would be to terribly difficult. Here is a picture of the cabinet.

https://imgur.com/a/n66nP5e

post #33 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 2373 Post(s)
Liked: 10144
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Makes perfect sense. And that is something I was worried about. At low frequencies around 15 hz I do start to get some chuffing so I would plan on increasing the port dimensions to lower the air velocity if possible for sure.

Since I started with the Rythmik which is effectively 2 15 sub then added an 18” I feel that making this a dual 18” may not add very much if any at all. Problem is I almost don’t care haha. I would like to ensure I get a substantial benefit of course but having the extra power channel unused and the desire to shake walls makes me want to do this regardless.
The best advice I can possibly give you with a spare channel is take the money you'd spend on the driver and buy a single Crowson. Trust me, you'll thank me for suggesting it, and you'll definitely buy a 2nd as your very next upgrade. Plug and play since you don't need an amp, and they are a hit with the wife!

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The best advice I can possibly give you with a spare channel is take the money you'd spend on the driver and buy a single Crowson. Trust me, you'll thank me for suggesting it, and you'll definitely buy a 2nd as your very next upgrade. Plug and play since you don't need an amp, and they are a hit with the wife!

Yes I want those badly. Heck I tried to figure out a way to work it out where I could install them. Issue is my room layout. I’ve ran every wire through the wall such that every single wire is hidden and not a single wire on the ground. This was a requirement. With the couch positioned in the way it is I wouldn’t be able to get the wire to the couch without breaking that rule! I do want it very badly though I have heard outstanding things.

post #35 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go through the floor then! Well, anyway, that's still my best advice (it's honestly like adding 100+ subs in the ULF, I'm not even exaggerating), but back to the subs...

If you decide to do a second driver, would this be a third sub or would it replace the single-driver sub you just built?

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #36 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Go through the floor then! Well, anyway, that's still my best advice (it's honestly like adding 100+ subs in the ULF, I'm not even exaggerating), but back to the subs...

If you decide to do a second driver, would this be a third sub or would it replace the single-driver sub you just built?

Haha if that was an option it would of saved me lots of time fishing wires through a column for surrounds! I’m on a slab unfortunately. If I do the second driver I would most likely just scrap the single 18 box and build another. Kinda wasteful but I guess I can call it research.

post #37 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Certainly I should be able to get better output. I almost forgot about the v3611. Similar dimensions dual 18” and tons of output down low. Maybe the UXL isn’t the best driver for this. Maybe the Um18 may be better to stack? Or maybe the new PE high excursion driver when it comes out.

Worst case I could build it and always change out drivers.

post #38 of 61 Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Certainly I should be able to get better output. I almost forgot about the v3611. Similar dimensions dual 18” and tons of output down low. Maybe the UXL isn’t the best driver for this. Maybe the Um18 may be better to stack? Or maybe the new PE high excursion driver when it comes out.

Worst case I could build it and always change out drivers.

If you keep modeling you'll find the issue isn't driver-specific. But hey, there's no downside to doing it, the only cost is time and money, and more headroom is always a good thing!

If you're going to build another box, can you go taller/bigger? Even if you have to build two and just replace both of your current subs, that would be a major upgrade because you could tune lower and gain output where you don't have it currently.

post #39 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dual 18” ported Subwoofer design

Quote:
If you keep modeling you'll find the issue isn't driver-specific. But hey, there's no downside to doing it, the only cost is time and money, and more headroom is always a good thing!

If you're going to build another box, can you go taller/bigger? Even if you have to build two and just replace both of your current subs, that would be a major upgrade because you could tune lower and gain output where you don't have it currently.

So I’ve been looking at I may not be able to find an additional UXL for reasonable amount of money. I’ve also been away from my computer so haven’t had a chance to model but riddle me this. Since the box is air volume limited by using dual subs a lesser sub (UM18-22) would actually equal that of dual UXL18s down low with the advantage coming more at the upper frequencies where it is less important for me. Would this be true? If so I may attempt to trade someone my uxl for a pair of UM18s

Maybe that’s a fair trade? Can’t remember price on both?

Also yes I can always tweak size by a little bit but would prefer to keep it fairly similar to the Rythmik bc of symmetry but adding an inch to the height and an inch to the width wouldn’t be out of the question. Adding 5-6 inches however and it starts to be too noticeable. I can’t pull the oops must of measured wrong...

post #40 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I’ve been looking at I may not be able to find an additional UXL for reasonable amount of money. I’ve also been away from my computer so haven’t had a chance to model but riddle me this. Since the box is air volume limited by using dual subs a lesser sub (UM18-22) would actually equal that of dual UXL18s down low with the advantage coming more at the upper frequencies where it is less important for me. Would this be true? If so I may attempt to trade someone my uxl for a pair of UM18s

Maybe that’s a fair trade? Can’t remember price on both?

Also yes I can always tweak size by a little bit but would prefer to keep it fairly similar to the Rythmik bc of symmetry but adding an inch to the height and an inch to the width wouldn’t be out of the question. Adding 5-6 inches however and it starts to be too noticeable. I can’t pull the oops must of measured wrong...

I haven't modeled a UXL18 yet, but I would guess the dual UM18s would win easily in any case. I'll find a driver param file for the UXL18 and do a quick model.

On the height thing, I was seeing if you'd consider selling both subs and building two new taller ones and tuning them low. That's the low-hanging fruit for increased significant output in your situation.

post #41 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't modeled a UXL18 yet, but I would guess the dual UM18s would win easily in any case. I'll find a driver param file for the UXL18 and do a quick model.

On the height thing, I was seeing if you'd consider selling both subs and building two new taller ones and tuning them low. That's the low-hanging fruit for increased significant output in your situation.

Really you think the UM18s would beat two uxl18? I wouldn’t think that was the case. Typically the UXL gives about 3db more output down low and even more up higher. At least from what I read and why I searched for that driver.

Yes I’m open to it for sure but I posted my Rythmik at one point and never got a true hit on it. Looks like I’m the only person crazy enough to want this level of bass on the east coast.

post #42 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I thought you were saying 1 UXL18 vs. 2 UM18s. My bad.

2 UXL18s is still really similar to 2 UM18s.

Last edited by aron7awol; 02-07-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #43 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Aron7awol,

I looked up those Crowson actuators you mentioned - I had never heard of them before. Wow, they are expensive! I've got 4 of the cheap Parts Express bass shakers attached to my sofa now and dual 18" 460HO 4 cubic foot sealed subs. I'm not too enamored with the PE shakers - are the Crowsons really that much better?

Forgive me for hijacking the thread!

Thanks,

Dave
post #44 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If those two locations are reasonably the only two places you're going to be able to put subs, then this is definitely my advice to you:
1. Maximize volume. What is the biggest possible volume you can put in those two locations. Height is a great way to add serious volume without increasing footprint. This is truly #1 by a lot. The output you gain from this will trump everything else.
2. Tune as low as you reasonably can. 12-13Hz would be nice.
3. Throw a bunch of drivers in there. If you're limited to 2 subs, you might as well make stuff as many drivers as you can in them.

post #45 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasa2131 View Post
Aron7awol,

I looked up those Crowson actuators you mentioned - I had never heard of them before. Wow, they are expensive! I've got 4 of the cheap Parts Express bass shakers attached to my sofa now and dual 18" 460HO 4 cubic foot sealed subs. I'm not too enamored with the PE shakers - are the Crowsons really that much better?

Forgive me for hijacking the thread!

Thanks,

Dave
They are absolutely insane. If the cost scares you, buy one and try it out. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. That won't happen, and instead you'll end up buying more

post #46 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Damn, I'm starting to realize I never should have asked that question! Thanks for your quick response
post #47 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I thought you were saying 1 UXL18 vs. 2 UM18s. My bad.

2 UXL18s is still really similar to 2 UM18s.

Oh haha yeah then I would think the dual would definitely beat the one especially in high output.

Maybe I will post up both and see if there is anyone interested in both. Honestly I would be willing to take a pretty good offer for them to open things up and let me start over. I would then build 2 dual 18” boxes but still wouldn’t add much more than say 2” taller and 2” wider. Keeping the depth the same.

post #48 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the layout of the living room. There really isn’t many options and at this point in my life I don’t have the house to have a dedicated theater room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	2521868
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	2521870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	2521872

post #49 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are some comparisons for you (this is with a 13Hz tune). Starting with a single UM18 getting 1200W in 11cf (basically a Marty)...

Add a second driver and double power to 2400W:
12Hz +0.7dB
13Hz +0.9dB
14Hz +1.3dB
15Hz +1.7dB
20Hz +3.9dB

As you can see, the additional output down low is really small, but might be worth it to you.

Add a third driver and increase power to 3600W:
12Hz +0.2dB
13Hz +0.3dB
14Hz +0.4dB
15Hz +0.6dB
20Hz +1.3dB

Major diminishing returns here, not really worth it.

So let's go back to 2 drivers, but increase volume from 11cf to 17cf:
12Hz +3.4dB
13Hz +3.3dB
14Hz +3.1dB
15Hz +2.9dB
20Hz +1.8dB

Now we're talking! As you can see, this is the low hanging fruit as far as additional ouput where you can really use it!

post #50 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A single UM18 (1200W) in 17cf even beats 2 UM18s (2400W) in 11cf by a good amount down low also (and of course the 2 drivers and double the power wins up high):

12Hz +2.1dB
13Hz +2.0dB
14Hz +1.3dB
15Hz +0.5dB
20Hz -3.9dB

post #51 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A single UM18 (1200W) in 17cf even beats 2 UM18s (2400W) in 11cf by a good amount down low also (and of course the 2 drivers and double the power wins up high):

12Hz +2.1dB

13Hz +2.0dB

14Hz +1.3dB

15Hz +0.5dB

20Hz -3.9dB

Yeah a jump to 17cf is highly unlikely. Hell that would need to be taken up to the ceiling. I already get crazy looks from visitors wondering why anyone needs bookshelf sized subwoofers

I’m off tomorrow so I finally will have a chance to really model some options and see what I think. Really though best option I agree would be to sell both buy another nx6000d and run with 2 dual 18” setups. It’s making me drool thinking about it haha

post #52 of 61 Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah a jump to 17cf is highly unlikely. Hell that would need to be taken up to the ceiling. I already get crazy looks from visitors wondering why anyone needs bookshelf sized subwoofers

I’m off tomorrow so I finally will have a chance to really model some options and see what I think. Really though best option I agree would be to sell both buy another nx6000d and run with 2 dual 18” setups. It’s making me drool thinking about it haha

I hear ya, I really just wanted to illustrate just how impactful additional volume is down low compared to adding drivers/power. Then I just encourage you to go as big as you can possibly go and grab as much of that "free" ULF as you possibly can. I literally went to the ceiling with mine to grab that volume, and it's a really high ceiling, but I realize not everyone is as crazy as me
LTD02 and SNcube like this.

post #53 of 61 Old 02-08-2019, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya, I really just wanted to illustrate just how impactful additional volume is down low compared to adding drivers/power. Then I just encourage you to go as big as you can possibly go and grab as much of that "free" ULF as you possibly can. I literally went to the ceiling with mine to grab that volume, and it's a really high ceiling, but I realize not everyone is as crazy as me

No doubt if this was a dedicated theater room or even not open to the rest of the house I may be able to get away with running them to the ceiling but I know without asking that is not an option for me unfortunately. She was fine with me running 3 dedicated 20A circuits installing a full 5.2.4 system with a pair of big boy sub which I’m greatful for but now I’ve got the itch to have even more bass and I may be at my limit if I can’t find a way to gain output at my current size.

I did do a bit of modeling this morning and the results are not what I expected. If I keep the internet net volume of around 7 which LTD02 said my current box is (quick plug for him: he has been absolutely incredible in helping me with my first couple boxes as have you Aron I really can’t thank you guys enough) then a single UXL18 is about 1-2db louder than dual um22-18s between 15-22ish Hz using the same volume and tuning frequency. Going dual UM18s and increasing volume to 9cf and tuning lowered to 12.5 Gives the same output as a single UXL between 16-21 but then gains 14db at the 10hz range.

Finding another UXL and using that would net around a 3db gain over the um18 down low and 4-5 at the higher region using 9cf and 12.5 tuning.

I was playing around on the market place and saw someone selling a box skhorns and I got the idea of possibly playing around with a different type of woofer. Maybe that’s an option? Anyone have any links to various 18” versions of such a woofer that may increase output using my current drivers? Very curious what all options I have as I didn’t know that existed.

post #54 of 61 Old 02-08-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Stupid unrelated question. Do you typically invert the second sub or do you keep them on the same polarity and only use delay? I’ve read both ways and can’t find the advantages of either

post #55 of 61 Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think this is partially because you are comparing UM-18 with 1000W Pe against UXL-18 with 1200W Pe.

If you edit the UM-18 and make it 1200W and reload the Max SPL graph I think you will see they end up much closer.

I think the rest of the difference is that you are comparing in small volumes so the second UM18 can't really help much down low, and so the native advantage of the single UXL-18 over the single UM18 persists.

Last edited by aron7awol; 02-08-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #56 of 61 Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stupid unrelated question. Do you typically invert the second sub or do you keep them on the same polarity and only use delay? I’ve read both ways and can’t find the advantages of either

If you're referring to the second sub within the same enclosure, then you do neither, and run them both in-phase and with no relative delay.

If you're referring to a second enclosure, you still typically run them in-phase and only use relative delay if they are not equidistant from MLP.

post #57 of 61 Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another thing worth strongly considering is if you're willing to spend the money on 2 drivers in each cab, spending that money on a single HST-18 for each cab might be your best bet. You could also build the boxes so that there is room to cut another hole in the box for a 2nd HST-18 down the road if you decided you wanted even more.

You might even decide to drive a few hours to go to Stereo Integrity and pick them up!

Edit: Actually, one thing I mentioned earlier in the thread that is going in rear its ugly head in these cases with 2 drivers or the 1 HST-18 is port chuffing. You're going to have to tune higher in order to be able to have a port big enough not to chuff like crazy in a box this small. That's the other big benefit to bigger enclosures, the port can be bigger yet stay at a length that has a resonable port resonance.

Unfortunately, you're really trying to push a relatively small box beyond its physical limits. With a 9cf box, even a single UM18 will push that box to 30m/s velocity even with a 15Hz tune and a 6.5" dia. port @ 39" long. It's not really worth it in my mind to add another driver of any type.

Then you might think, okay, this is why people go sealed. Except you could put 2 HST-18s in the same 9cf box (but sealed), give them 4000W total, and you're just going to equal the single UM18's output with 1200W down low in the 9cf ported box.

So basically the conclusion is a single UM18 or UXL18 in 9cf ported is already an extremely efficient use of that volume, and you aren't going to gain very much at all adding drivers/power.

Last edited by aron7awol; 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #58 of 61 Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another thing worth strongly considering is if you're willing to spend the money on 2 drivers in each cab, spending that money on a single HST-18 for each cab might be your best bet. You could also build the boxes so that there is room to cut another hole in the box for a 2nd HST-18 down the road if you decided you wanted even more.

You might even decide to drive a few hours to go to Stereo Integrity and pick them up!

Edit: Actually, one thing I mentioned earlier in the thread that is going in rear its ugly head in these cases with 2 drivers or the 1 HST-18 is port chuffing. You're going to have to tune higher in order to be able to have a port big enough not to chuff like crazy in a box this small. That's the other big benefit to bigger enclosures, the port can be bigger yet stay at a length that has a resonable port resonance.

Unfortunately, you're really trying to push a relatively small box beyond its physical limits. With a 9cf box, even a single UM18 will push that box to 30m/s velocity even with a 15Hz tune and a 6.5" dia. port @ 39" long. It's not really worth it in my mind to add another driver of any type.

Then you might think, okay, this is why people go sealed. Except you could put 2 HST-18s in the same 9cf box (but sealed), give them 4000W total, and you're just going to equal the single UM18's output with 1200W down low in the 9cf ported box.

So basically the conclusion is a single UM18 or UXL18 in 9cf ported is already an extremely efficient use of that volume, and you aren't going to gain very much at all adding drivers/power.

Hey sorry I have been away for a bit. Yeah the hst-18 mkIII is quite a nice driver. I think you are right though. Best I can do right now that will make a meaningful difference is to sell the Rythmik and build two larger boxes. Not a high likelihood I will sell the Rythmik in my area so I prob should just learn to enjoy what I have I mean heck it is one killer system!

post #59 of 61 Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Just a idea for you. What if you got a pair of Hs-24 and fed them 4k each in 9 cf sealed each. I would think that should get you where you want to go.
aron7awol likes this.
post #60 of 61 Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
Just a idea for you. What if you got a pair of Hs-24 and fed them 4k each in 9 cf sealed each. I would think that should get you where you want to go.
If you're trying to maximize everything, just get the SHS-24s which are an absolute steal at their current price of only $224 more than the HS-24, and give them 5000W each!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page