RSS460HO box size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
RSS460HO box size

I have one right now and just purchased a second one. I was double checking my measurements and it turns out my current box is only 3.25ft3 I thought it was more like 3.8. I am having trouble learning winisd and getting the results to make sense. Am I giving up a bunch of low end with a smaller box? Can someone look at this for me? I don't have room for larger than 3.8ft3. I am building the second one this week so I need to know should I build the second one identical to the first or make it larger with plans to rebuild the first one. I have about 3lbs of stuffing in the first one and no bracing. I was planning on adding dowels for bracing but now I am afraid to reduce the size more.

Last edited by LGERIC; 02-09-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERIC View Post
I have one right now and just purchased a second one. I was double checking my measurements and it turns out my current box is only 3.25ft3 I thought it was more like 3.8. I am having trouble learning winisd and getting the results to make sense. Am I giving up a bunch of low end with a smaller box? Can someone look at this for me? I don't have room for larger than 3.8ft3. I am building the second one this week so I need to know should I build the second one identical to the first or make it larger with plans to rebuild the first one. I have about 3lbs of stuffing in the first one and no bracing. I was planning on adding dowels for bracing but now I am afraid to reduce the size more.
How do you know the box is smaller than thought? you probably are not giving up much with that difference. Just a guess though. If you are using WinISD then you can input the different box sizes and see what the results actually are. What part are you having difficulty with? All you need to do is add the speaker driver T/S params then select the type of box to put it in. WinISD will automatically do the type for you if you let it.

Don't you hate when you post and nobody replies? :-(

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My measurements were off by a little bit or my math...

I was using saved info in Winisd that was incorrect. I reinputed the info and got more reliable results but then I changed something and couldn't get back to the results that were expected. So I gave up and am in the process of building a second enclosure to match the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I would add some bracing. It won't take up much space if done properly. 3 ft should be fine for that driver, the smaller size will keep excursion under control.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have Dual 390HF in 3.6FT and they are tuned to 17/18hz and they get really low, last test was 10HZ 100DB no tweaking so enjoy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190103_093506503.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	916.0 KB
ID:	2527112  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page