Building my theater audio setup: B52-18s and Cinema-10s - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #1 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Building my theater audio setup: B52-18s and Cinema-10s

Well, I've been around here for 1-2 years now and built a couple different subwoofer setups, including a mini-marty with a UM18 and a pair of 31hz-tuned VBSS's, but those have all been for music listening. 100% Music. I have a desktop computer in my office and listen to music through it frequently. I've been very happy with the bass output in the music I listen to with my subwoofer setup. And as of right now, my television is in another room and the audio comes from the crappy integrated TV speakers, only slightly augmented by a JL Audio 12" subwoofer powered by a PartsExpress 250w plate amp. Well, up until a few weeks ago, January 26th to be exact, I was satisfied with my television/audio setup. If I wanted big bass, I listened to something through my computer and my big subs in a different room.

Current subwoofer setup for music:

Well, I am no longer satisfied with my television/audio setup... specifically the audio component.

I recently attended a get-together in the Detroit area and thanks to @hd0823 and @Jk7.2 , I got to experience my first two actual HTs. This was an amazing experience and really opened up my eyes and ears as to what could be achieved in someones own house. I'm very thankful and grateful that both Jared and Jeremy were willing to open their homes up to strangers and share their setups. I had a great time. But... it also got the gears turning in my head. The last few times I've started watching an HD or 4K movie on Netflix, I can't help but think, "What would this sound like with better audio than the integrated TV speakers I have?" and "what am I missing from the audio component of what I'm watching?" Right now I have two blu-ray movies I want to watch, that I'm not letting myself watch yet because I want to experience them with a proper sound setup.

Here comes my semi-HT setup plan:

Video: I recently bought a 65" 4K television and primarily only watch Netflix (I have the 4K upgrade) and rented blu-ray movies. Video will likely not change anytime soon.

AVR: I do not currently own an AVR... I'm planning to get an entry-level 5.1 AVR. Something from PartsExpress or Amazon. And even though I'll just be using it as a 2.1 setup for now, I like having the flexibility of moving up to a 5.1 speaker configuration down the road.

Frontstage/Mains: I'm planning to buy a pair of HTM-12s. I'm planning to build them into more of a tower design, so the waveguide is level with my seating position. Since they are only 25" tall, I will likely build them into towers closer to 36"- 40" tall. I think these will look nice on both sides of my television. I will power them with the AVR.

Subwoofers: Back in the fall I bought a pair of B52 18" subs from PartsExpress. My original idea for buying them was to experiment with building a horn. And while I still want to build a horned-18 setup, Mike @eng-399 talked me into building ported cabinets for them. We got to talk at the Detroit get-together and he's helped me out with other questions along the way too, so I'm looking forward to getting some cabinet ideas from him for these B52s. My goal is to build ported cabinets, but mask them as end-tables. I will position them at both ends of my sofa.

Subwoofer Power: I already own a Behringer NX3000D and have been happy with it. Other than the fan noise, I don't have any complaints. So I will likely buy another NX3000D to power the B52s.

So there it is.... my tentative plan for my first home theater. I already have the B52 woofers, so I will likely get started with building cabinets for them soon. I'm thinking this will be a 3-6 month timeline to buy, build and complete everything. I'm already excited about hearing audio through HTM-12s and a pair of 18s from the television! This will be my first purchase from DIYSG and first experience with compression drivers and waveguides. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Anything I'm missing or big no-nos? And yes, Diesel will be overseeing the entire project.

Thanks - and please let me know your thoughts.
filtor1, bear123, Jk7.2 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 448
The HTM 12s will do great in the living room. Wide dispersion not super large, will integrate well with the subs and high sensitivity. Ported boxes with the B52s on suspended floors will not disappoint. The size of horns would get out of hand quickly if you want them to dig deeper for HT. Your plan sounds good, looking forward to seeing your builds

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Craig S King likes this.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #3 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 2583
Planning my first semi-HT setup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Well, I've been around here for 1-2 years now and built a couple different subwoofer setups, including a mini-marty with a UM18 and a pair of 31hz-tuned VBSS's, but those have all been for music listening. 100% Music. I have a desktop computer in my office and listen to music through it frequently. I've been very happy with the bass output in the music I listen to with my subwoofer setup. And as of right now, my television is in another room and the audio comes from the crappy integrated TV speakers, only slightly augmented by a JL Audio 12" subwoofer powered by a PartsExpress 250w plate amp. Well, up until a few weeks ago, January 26th to be exact, I was satisfied with my television/audio setup. If I wanted big bass, I listened to something through my computer and my big subs in a different room.

Current subwoofer setup for music:

Well, I am no longer satisfied with my television/audio setup... specifically the audio component.

I recently attended a get-together in the Detroit area and thanks to @hd0823 and @Jk7.2 , I got to experience my first two actual HTs. This was an amazing experience and really opened up my eyes and ears as to what could be achieved in someones own house. I'm very thankful and grateful that both Jared and Jeremy were willing to open their homes up to strangers and share their setups. I had a great time. But... it also got the gears turning in my head. The last few times I've started watching an HD or 4K movie on Netflix, I can't help but think, "What would this sound like with better audio than the integrated TV speakers I have?" and "what am I missing from the audio component of what I'm watching?" Right now I have two blu-ray movies I want to watch, that I'm not letting myself watch yet because I want to experience them with a proper sound setup.

Here comes my semi-HT setup plan:

Video: I recently bought a 65" 4K television and primarily only watch Netflix (I have the 4K upgrade) and rented blu-ray movies. Video will likely not change anytime soon.

AVR: I do not currently own an AVR... I'm planning to get an entry-level 5.1 AVR. Something from PartsExpress or Amazon. And even though I'll just be using it as a 2.1 setup for now, I like having the flexibility of moving up to a 5.1 speaker configuration down the road.

Frontstage/Mains: I'm planning to buy a pair of HTM-12s. I'm planning to build them into more of a tower design, so the waveguide is level with my seating position. Since they are only 25" tall, I will likely build them into towers closer to 36"- 40" tall. I think these will look nice on both sides of my television. I will power them with the AVR.

Subwoofers: Back in the fall I bought a pair of B52 18" subs from PartsExpress. My original idea for buying them was to experiment with building a horn. And while I still want to build a horned-18 setup, Mike @eng-399 talked me into building ported cabinets for them. We got to talk at the Detroit get-together and he's helped me out with other questions along the way too, so I'm looking forward to getting some cabinet ideas from him for these B52s. My goal is to build ported cabinets, but mask them as end-tables. I will position them at both ends of my sofa.

Subwoofer Power: I already own a Behringer NX3000D and have been happy with it. Other than the fan noise, I don't have any complaints. So I will likely buy another NX3000D to power the B52s.

So there it is.... my tentative plan for my first home theater. I already have the B52 woofers, so I will likely get started with building cabinets for them soon. I'm thinking this will be a 3-6 month timeline to buy, build and complete everything. I'm already excited about hearing audio through HTM-12s and a pair of 18s from the television! This will be my first purchase from DIYSG and first experience with compression drivers and waveguides. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Anything I'm missing or big no-nos? And yes, Diesel will be overseeing the entire project.

Thanks - and please let me know your thoughts.

Cool man I’m subbed and will be following along. Maybe you could build your subs and keep them flanking the tv. Then they could serve as stands for your speakers you build. The htm-12s are great. You’ll love them. I regret not playing the htm-6s I had at the gtg for everyone. They sound excellent. Anyway, then you could keep flat packs in play for your speakers. They are so nice to put together. I’d also consider the 1099s speakers for sure. You could get a horizontal center as well for future upgrades. I loved those when I had them. Just a thought. Looking forward to your progress.
Craig S King likes this.

Last edited by Jk7.2; 02-12-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Check out Accessories4less for your AVR.
mhutchins and Craig S King like this.
post #5 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys for getting back to me quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
The HTM 12s will do great in the living room. Wide dispersion not super large, will integrate well with the subs and high sensitivity. Ported boxes with the B52s on suspended floors will not disappoint. The size of horns would get out of hand quickly if you want them to dig deeper for HT. Your plan sounds good, looking forward to seeing your builds

Thanks for the feedback about the HTM-12s. I was a little unsure about whether these were appropriate for mains for my setup. I figure at the end of the day, anything will be better than the integrated speakers in my TV. As for the horns, yeah, after seeing HD0823's horns for his 21s in person, I have a better appreciation for how big these cabinets need to be. I simply don't have space for a pair of horned 18s. However, I still want to do a horned 18 at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Cool man I’m subbed and will be following along. Maybe you could build your subs and keep them flanking the tv. Then they could serve as stands for your speakers you build. The htm-12s are great. You’ll love them. I regret not playing the htm-6s I had at the gtg for everyone. They sound excellent. Anyway, then you could keep flat packs in play for your speakers. They are so nice to put together. I’d also consider the 1099s speakers for sure. You could get a horizontal center as well for future upgrades. I loved those when I had them. Just a thought. Looking forward to your progress.

Jared, thanks for replying. And again, thanks for hosting the get together at your place a few weeks ago. Thanks to you, I want to start building a HT and drink more scotch! As for the subs built underneath the HTMs, I thought about that, but I think it'll raise the HTMs up too tall. I considered flipping the HTMs upside down so the waveguide is on the bottom, but still to keep it at a reasonable level, the subwoofer cabinets would have to be wider than they are tall, and I just don't have the space for wide cabinets next to my television stand. Although, I'm not totally ruling it out yet. I was definitely considering the 1099s for a little while. But ultimately, the cost came into consideration. I can get an HTM-12, the pre-assembled crossover, and the flatpack for less than the cost of just the 1099. But, I will probably still build my cabinets for the HTMs so I can make them more of a tower design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey16 View Post
Check out Accessories4less for your AVR.

Thanks Jeff, I wasn't aware of that site. Are they pretty reputable? Any particular brands of AVRs I should look into?
Jk7.2 likes this.

Last edited by Craig S King; 02-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I got my Yamaha 3070 from Accessories 4Less. It was referbished by Yamaha, Yamaha has an 18 month warranty on their referbished units IIRC. It has been solid, no issues outside the normal Yamaha quirks

Craig S King likes this.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #7 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Are you planning to incorporate stands into your design, or are you planning to change the internal volume/port distance from boundaries? If the latter, keep in mind that the FR will change. And not necessarily in a good way.

+1 for A4L. I have purchased from them in the past, when I did have an issue with an AVR they were quick to fix the problem.
Craig S King likes this.
post #8 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3679 Post(s)
Liked: 4173
I don't see any problems.
As long as the AVR has the decoders and HDMI version that you want/desire.

I have no problems with my Marantz 7705, flat from 1hz to 96khz -3db and does all the formats.
I'm sure their AVR line is quality too.

and yes, the top systems can be quite an eye opener. Lots of cones and jigowatts, and well... Everything!
I only wished my theater were a ground-up build instead of shoehorned into a pre-existing woodshop. Oh well, is what it is... can't have everything all the time!

The only thing I would suggest is: room treatments, as that wood flooring and walls are gonna reflect like crazy...
Craig S King likes this.
post #9 of 196 Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Sorry about the late reply worked 14 hrs today and maverick is sick so just got to sit down. I've heard only good things about Accessories4less. I almost bought my receiver there bought found a great deal through worldwidestereo. The htm 12 is a great speaker @brian6751 use to have them and @cdy2179 has them currently in dedicated theaters and both said they loved them. I actually heard them in Brian's room and they sounded great. The subs will be more than enough being ported and should be pretty tactile being right next to the couch. You could always build a v3 and use that as your couch lol I'm just messing around. I subscribed cant wait to see the finished build.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Craig S King likes this.
post #10 of 196 Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
I got my Yamaha 3070 from Accessories 4Less. It was referbished by Yamaha, Yamaha has an 18 month warranty on their referbished units IIRC. It has been solid, no issues outside the normal Yamaha quirks

Thanks for the additional feedback. I will most likely get my AVR from Accessories 4 Less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Are you planning to incorporate stands into your design, or are you planning to change the internal volume/port distance from boundaries? If the latter, keep in mind that the FR will change. And not necessarily in a good way.

+1 for A4L. I have purchased from them in the past, when I did have an issue with an AVR they were quick to fix the problem.

I'm planning to maintain the intended volume for the HTM-12. However, the HTM-12 will be in a separate chamber from the lower part of the tower. I was originally just going to leave the lower part of the "tower" empty with the HTM-12 in the top, but after reading this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...m-project.html , I am now thinking I might try to integrate a MBM cabinet into the tower, under the HTM-12 section. So it would essentially be a MBM cabinet with a 12" in it, and a HTM-12 above it, but all in one tower. Separate chambers inside the tower. The MBMs would be powered and wired separately from the HTM-12s. Sound reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I don't see any problems.
As long as the AVR has the decoders and HDMI version that you want/desire.
I have no problems with my Marantz 7705, flat from 1hz to 96khz -3db and does all the formats.
I'm sure their AVR line is quality too.
and yes, the top systems can be quite an eye opener. Lots of cones and jigowatts, and well... Everything!
I only wished my theater were a ground-up build instead of shoehorned into a pre-existing woodshop. Oh well, is what it is... can't have everything all the time!
The only thing I would suggest is: room treatments, as that wood flooring and walls are gonna reflect like crazy...

BassThatHz, thanks for the input. Yeah, I realized I'll need to find a 4K capable AVR if I want to maintain 4K quality. I'll check out the Marantz's.

As for the sound treatments, I'll probably have to add some of those too. Fortunately, my living room is carpeted, so that helps out a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Sorry about the late reply worked 14 hrs today and maverick is sick so just got to sit down. I've heard only good things about Accessories4less. I almost bought my receiver there bought found a great deal through worldwidestereo. The htm 12 is a great speaker @brian6751 use to have them and @cdy2179 has them currently in dedicated theaters and both said they loved them. I actually heard them in Brian's room and they sounded great. The subs will be more than enough being ported and should be pretty tactile being right next to the couch. You could always build a v3 and use that as your couch lol I'm just messing around. I subscribed cant wait to see the finished build.

Jeremy, thanks for getting back to me. And thank you again for the great experience in your HT a couple weeks ago. The only thing I was disappointed about was not being able to take that 24" home with me! And I'm still raving about the pizza I had in Flint, MI !!!

As for the V3 couch, I like the way you think.
post #11 of 196 Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I knew it wouldn't be long before the audio caught up on the HT side . This is going to be awesome! Subbed.

Phil.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #12 of 196 Old 02-14-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Thanks for the additional feedback. I will most likely get my AVR from Accessories 4 Less.

I'm planning to maintain the intended volume for the HTM-12. However, the HTM-12 will be in a separate chamber from the lower part of the tower. I was originally just going to leave the lower part of the "tower" empty with the HTM-12 in the top, but after reading this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...m-project.html , I am now thinking I might try to integrate a MBM cabinet into the tower, under the HTM-12 section. So it would essentially be a MBM cabinet with a 12" in it, and a HTM-12 above it, but all in one tower. Separate chambers inside the tower. The MBMs would be powered and wired separately from the HTM-12s. Sound reasonable?

BassThatHz, thanks for the input. Yeah, I realized I'll need to find a 4K capable AVR if I want to maintain 4K quality. I'll check out the Marantz's.

As for the sound treatments, I'll probably have to add some of those too. Fortunately, my living room is carpeted, so that helps out a little.

Jeremy, thanks for getting back to me. And thank you again for the great experience in your HT a couple weeks ago. The only thing I was disappointed about was not being able to take that 24" home with me! And I'm still raving about the pizza I had in Flint, MI !!!

As for the V3 couch, I like the way you think.
Thanks it was a great time not sure how many changes will be done at the next one I'll have the rear 21s in there for sure . Yeah I was hoping someone would snag up the 24. I'm guessing I'll just build a huge box and put it in the bar when I refinish the basement and yeah me and the wife love that pizza place I hope you got to try the feta cheese pizza thats there best. It's crazy it's a very small mom and pop type place to. I second bth on the marantz I really like mine.

post #13 of 196 Old 02-14-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Let's talk mid-bass modules for a few seconds.... the PA310, https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-032 , what kind of power does it need to be an effective MBM? And what kind of airspace does it need to be effective? Since the PA310 is 8ohm, and a HTM-12 is 8ohm, is it realistic to run them parallel, per channel on an AVR? Or does the PA310 need more substantial power to make an effective MBM?

I'm still kicking around the idea of incorporating a 12" MBM into the lower section of my HTM-12 tower. I'm just trying to figure out if it's practical and whether it would be beneficial.
post #14 of 196 Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let's talk mid-bass modules for a few seconds.... the PA310, https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-032 , what kind of power does it need to be an effective MBM? And what kind of airspace does it need to be effective? Since the PA310 is 8ohm, and a HTM-12 is 8ohm, is it realistic to run them parallel, per channel on an AVR? Or does the PA310 need more substantial power to make an effective MBM?

I'm still kicking around the idea of incorporating a 12" MBM into the lower section of my HTM-12 tower. I'm just trying to figure out if it's practical and whether it would be beneficial.

Craig, for a long time I had two of the 12” mbm’s nearfield. Right behind my seats. They are or were available at diysg. These added the midbass punch, especially being nearfield. I think the htm-12’s will hold down the fort upfront without help from mbm’s. Try and keep it simple is my advice. If you need more, nearfield subs or mbm’s is a nice upgrade if there’s room for it. Just get building!
post #15 of 196 Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are the HTM-12s essentially a MBM with a compression driver/horn in the same enclosure?

I just figured since I'm going to build the HTMs into a taller, tower design, then with the "extra room" in the lower section, I might as well toss another 12" in it.
post #16 of 196 Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Planning my first semi-HT setup:

Quote:
Are the HTM-12s essentially a MBM with a compression driver/horn in the same enclosure?

Um, I’d say no.

I just figured since I'm going to build the HTMs into a taller, tower design, then with the "extra room" in the lower section, I might as well toss another 12" in it.

That would be fine. But the mid bass driver would need its own airspace, own amp, and own signal. Yes, you could use your receivers preouts to provide the proper signal to those drivers. For example, if your L channel speaker is on your avr L channel, the avr L channel preout could still be used as signal, to a separate external amp channel, for the mid bass driver in the L speaker. And so on for the other mains. I guess it’s essentially bi-amping each speaker. With active crossover on the mid bass section. This is why I think keep it simple is a better idea. Good subs paired with the htm’s will be excellent.

Last edited by Jk7.2; 02-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #17 of 196 Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I would keep them in separate airspaces. It would be one tower, but with two separate chambers in it - one for the HTM and one for a MBM.

However, I realize what you're saying about keeping it simple. The HTM-12s will be paired with a pair of 18" B52s that @eng-399 is helping me design.
eng-399 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #18 of 196 Old 02-15-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 533 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked: 4966
We’re trying to get things tweaked so Craig will have the best of both worlds with this driver. Low end and midbass. Going to work some more on the modeling tomorrow once me and Craig talk on the phone. These drivers should make him happy.
Jk7.2 and Craig S King like this.
post #19 of 196 Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After seeing some of the graphs and data that Mike calculated for me, I'm getting pretty excited to design the subwoofer cabinets and starting building them. I hope the sawdust will start flying soon. Looks like somewhere around 5-6cu/ft is ideal for the B52s. I'm also looking forward to building these cabinets into stealth-subwoofer endtables for my living room.
Jk7.2 likes this.

Last edited by Craig S King; 02-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #20 of 196 Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update:

After some great help from Mike @eng-399 (thanks again Mike), we determined that a 25hz tune would be ideal for the B52s in ~5cu/ft ported cabinets. The mid-bass should be great - I'm looking forward to it. The B52s really seem to be mid-bass monsters. Then I started modeling the cabinets to figure out what will work for the dimensions and the port length. Final exterior dimensions will be 20"w x 26"l x 24"t. This should work well for turning these into stealth end tables. The woofers and port will be down-firing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	2529336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	2529338  
eng-399 likes this.
post #21 of 196 Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 533 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked: 4966
post #22 of 196 Old 03-09-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After chatting with Eng-399 a little more last night and seeing Jk7.2s build thread, I got around to buying the lumber and cutting the panels for my sub cabinets.

Pictures of progress coming soon...
eng-399 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #23 of 196 Old 03-10-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After chatting with Eng-399 a little more last night and seeing Jk7.2s build thread, I got around to buying the lumber and cutting the panels for my sub cabinets.

Pictures of progress coming soon...

Out of curiosity, what about my build thread motivated you?
post #24 of 196 Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Out of curiosity, what about my build thread motivated you?

Nothing in particular, but just seeing your subwoofer cabinets coming together motivated me to finally get mine started too.

Granted we are doing different setups, but we are both building dual-subwoofers, and DIYSG mids/highs speakers for our TV rooms. You're doing the 15s and the 893s. I'm doing the B52s and HTM-12s.
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #25 of 196 Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was the first time I'd used a cut list program to figure out the layout of the panels. Much easier.

And first time using 3/4" plywood for a cabinet. I have to say, even though it was more expensive, the lighter weight made it easier to move around and cut on a table saw. And obviously much less dust.

Panels all cut.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5676.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	2536880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5677.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	2536882  
Jk7.2 and bubbrik like this.
post #26 of 196 Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Started dry-fitting some of the panels.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5682.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	2537178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5680.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	2537180  
OJ Bartley, eng-399, Jk7.2 and 2 others like this.
post #27 of 196 Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Using some masking tape I was able to dry fit all of the panels and see what these will look like. The baffle and port will be downfiring. I went with 3/4" birch plywood for the purpose of staining and finishing these to look like endtables in my living room. I was inspired by @tarponater and @Zarkoff500 and and a few others with their "hidden" subwoofer cabinets that look like wooden furniture.

My port is 1.75" tall .... the gap between the back of the cabinet and the port panel is 2.25". (Yes, from the picture it looks like 2-3/16", but it was pushed back a little). Does that seem OK?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5679.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	2537454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5681.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	2537456  

Last edited by Craig S King; 03-11-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #28 of 196 Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Those are going to look nice! Something about seeing the layers in plywood... very satisfying. I look forward to seeing the build progress.
Craig S King likes this.
post #29 of 196 Old 03-12-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Iv'e seen some builds with the end grain covered in veneer, and finished raw with just good wood putty to smooth them out. Both look good. What are your plans for the edges?
Craig S King likes this.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ730 (7.2.4) Crown XLS1000 (Atmos)
Front Wall: DIYSG Fusion10 L&R, Hybrid DIYSG Fusion10 center
Atmos/Surround: 4 Polk TSX 150C(DIY) 4 Yamaha NS-333
Subwoofers: 4 UM18 Full Marties 16Hz tune, 4 SP-1804 NF 31Hz tune, 2 Buttkicker LFE, 3 NU6000, MINIDSP 2x4
post #30 of 196 Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkoff500 View Post
Those are going to look nice! Something about seeing the layers in plywood... very satisfying. I look forward to seeing the build progress.

I agree about the satisfaction of seeing the evenly-cut plys. You don't get that with MDF or cheaper plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponater View Post
Iv'e seen some builds with the end grain covered in veneer, and finished raw with just good wood putty to smooth them out. Both look good. What are your plans for the edges?

I have pieces of 3/4" maple hardwood that I'm going to use for trim to cover the exposed ply edges. They will also be the legs that lift the cabinet off of the floor.
tarponater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page