post #91 of 111 Old 05-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Who wants a 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
So in looking at his options here are my votes... I also converted the metric measurements to cubic feet for us US folks

All these options assume we use 3/4 MDF on all sizes and dont account for a double baffle...

1st Option - 2.82 cf and 35hz

2.82 cubic feet (~3 cubic feet total to allow for bracing) and 35hz seems to be a good compromise, and its actually Tux's recommendation in one of the threads.

Now he said the 3.53 cubic feet and 35hz is the "cat's meow", but I think that just gets to be too large for most, and would drastically increase costs to Erich for the flatpack boxes for the ported towers.

Given it is likely that 40" is the about as tall as we can go on these, I'd suggest a width of 12.25" and a depth of 13". This once you subtract .35 cubic feet works out to 2.824 cubic feet. It is a bit of a adjustment from what the stock baffles were previously. The extra width would allow for folks to install grills easier on these, but I'm not sure if it would also cause some weirdness with reflections of any kind...

2nd Option - 1.76 cf and 40hz

Alternately this is the smallest ported option, providing some better output to a decent range, and in a smaller form factor......

Size wise we have a lot of options, however I'm not sure what the min depth is on the box so I'm throwing out options.

Box 1: Assuming we still want 40" of height we could go with a 11 wide x 11 deep tower and still be above the suggested 1.76 cubic feet, even assuming lots of bracing. Not sure if thats enough extra width for grills

Box 2: 32" height x 12" wide h x 11.25" deep - this would allow for grills and also is about 1.78 cubic feet.

I am not sure how these measurements stack up to whats suggested for the 1299 Ported boxes as I think @Erich H was trying to make a single flatpack that could be used for both (with diff front baffles of course)...... Thinking this size wont work for that and would need to be wider (which would decrease the depth for the 893 to get to 2.82 cf, but still not likely work for the ported 1299)....

**Ninja edit** It appears the SEALED FLATPACK 1299 box as it stands would be 3.54 cubic feet as is, which is the largest option from my above graph...

I don’t know if you saw it in the thread you eluded to but, Tux stated to not exceed 11” in width. But he never stated why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Purenv; 05-16-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
I don’t know if you saw it in the thread you eluded to but, Tux stated to not exceed 11” in width. But he never stated why...

Did not see that but good to know. I'm guessing due to reflections from the drivers but I'm not that smart..... Either way we could tweak the boxes depth and reduce the width...

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #93 of 111 Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Did not see that but good to know. I'm guessing due to reflections from the drivers but I'm not that smart..... Either way we could tweak the boxes depth and reduce the width...
Too much deviation in width changes the baffle step frequency, the point at which longer wavelengths are big enough to start wrapping around the box and transition to an omni radiation pattern, which reduces the level of sound aimed at your face. Most speaker designers allow for that in their designs, and changing the box width messes up the balance.

Also, one of the unique positives of the original 893 is that it offered an extremely high-quality 3-way center channel that's barely 10 inches tall. I no longer have a horse in this race, but careful not to design a monster full-range 893 tower that is hardly any smaller than the 1099, otherwise what's the point?
scary1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 111 Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck View Post
Too much deviation in width changes the baffle step frequency, the point at which longer wavelengths are big enough to start wrapping around the box and transition to an omni radiation pattern, which reduces the level of sound aimed at your face. Most speaker designers allow for that in their designs, and changing the box width messes up the balance.

Also, one of the unique positives of the original 893 is that it offered an extremely high-quality 3-way center channel that's barely 10 inches tall. I no longer have a horse in this race, but careful not to design a monster full-range 893 tower that is hardly any smaller than the 1099, otherwise what's the point?

Understand. The increase in width was to allow for a grill over the front which is hard to do in its original width. If we can get there then I’m fine.

I also would still run the center sealed over ported......

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #95 of 111 Old 05-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Who wants a 893

Quote:
Yup..... Here is some of the info I found. I pulled it from multiple posts, and even threads. Each section is linked to that particular threads post so you can jump around if you want.

Here is also some info regarding the tweeter height from a PM he and I had...

So if we need to we can just spike the tower with adjustable spikes and angle them slightly upwards to ensure the sound hits us right.....

After reading the entire thread I’m seriously thinking of building the quad 893 but ported!!!

For L&R:
72” high x 11” wide x 16” deep
Center:
72” wide x 11” high x 16” deep

Might need some help with tuning port frequency and diameter and length.

Edit:
I am width limited for left and right speakers. We are moving to a new house that doesn’t have a layout conducive for a dedicated home theater. So now I’m giving up on having an AT and being “stuck” with buying an 82” TV and needing a horizontal center channel.

Last edited by Purenv; 05-16-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #96 of 111 Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'd prefer that they stay the original size that way those that need the smaller cabinet can still get it. You might as well get the 1099 if you can fit a bigger speaker or make your own custom cabinet if you want it bigger.
Jk7.2 and scary1 like this.
post #97 of 111 Old 05-17-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie36 View Post
I'd prefer that they stay the original size that way those that need the smaller cabinet can still get it. You might as well get the 1099 if you can fit a bigger speaker or make your own custom cabinet if you want it bigger.

Agreed. The important thing is that these kits are available. Flat packs and matching baffles are a treat. But the ability to build your own cab and get all the help you need on this forum is always there.
scary1 likes this.
post #98 of 111 Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So is this a go? When are the 893s rumored to be returning to the site?
post #99 of 111 Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Please don’t get me wrong. I agree that the 893 should be made as it was. Small and sealed. I just want to either make the quad 893 or quad ported.
I am width restricted so I can’t fit anything wider than 11” to account for toe in and that’s with the left channel up against the wall. So yeah I’m screwed... acoustically speaking.

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #100 of 111 Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 AM

What got me interested in upgrading in the first place was the boxed-in sound of dialog on my current B&W C2 center channel.
After reading the original 893 thread and seeing the measurements with it’s superior off-axis response,it’s easy to see why it would sound so good In real life.

Curious how much measurable or subjective performance difference there is between the fusion8 alchemy horizontal center and the 893?
Are there similar measurements for the fusion8 alchemy center buried in a thread somewhere?

If I had to pull the trigger today, I’d probably be very satisfied with the Fusion8 center, but the question of what to get for the left and right would remain:

The fusion 8 alchemy L/R would be the obvious choice, but I have a large open living room, and a paralyzing fear of missing out, so I’m really focused in on the dual woofer models like the (currently unavailable) cinema 8, and 893. Or the close-out (soon to unavailable?) cinema 10. Or the 88 special?

Last edited by designosaur; 05-18-2019 at 08:18 AM.
post #101 of 111 Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I can't believe how much time has gone by since the 893 design was done. I would have guessed like 3.5 years. 5 years is crazy.

I really need to slow things down, maybe kill the site ordering for a while and get some of this other stuff done. There's also at least 4 designs completed that I haven't had time to get on the site. Finding time to do all of it is getting pretty tough between emails, packaging, new stuff, etc. I'll decide what to do in a week or so to get this stuff done.

Erich, realistically, is there a good chance of getting these 893’s back in stock? I will be ready to buy and build by late July and would like to build 3x Quad ported 893’s. If these won’t be coming back I will need to rethink my options.

REALLY HOPING THAT YOU WILL BRING THEM BACK...... PLEASE

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #102 of 111 Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
They will get done, I just can't give an exact date on when right now. The minimum order of custom woofers, flat packs, and all other parts is a bit expensive but they will be one of the next things getting ordered. I have one more project in front of the 893's.

But there are currently about 7 designs that are done and waiting to go on the site. I'm hoping to get those up in June by shutting down orders in the next week or so. I've purposely taken a lot of things out of stock to give me some extra time and will be posting something on the site soon. I always feel bad shutting things down for a while, but it's nearly impossible to get some of the extra stuff done without doing that.

post #103 of 111 Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
They will get done, I just can't give an exact date on when right now. The minimum order of custom woofers, flat packs, and all other parts is a bit expensive but they will be one of the next things getting ordered. I have one more project in front of the 893's.

But there are currently about 7 designs that are done and waiting to go on the site. I'm hoping to get those up in June by shutting down orders in the next week or so. I've purposely taken a lot of things out of stock to give me some extra time and will be posting something on the site soon. I always feel bad shutting things down for a while, but it's nearly impossible to get some of the extra stuff done without doing that.

We all hopefully understand that you need to “pause” the business to get things done on hidden side. We all GREATLY APPRECIATE what you have and are doing for the community!!! Thank you for all your hard work!

ja00 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #104 of 111 Old 06-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Liked: 1
I'm in the market for 1099s, but 893 might fit the bill as well. May be interested!

Also curious what other designs are in the pipeline, is that queue posted anywhere?
post #105 of 111 Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
The HTM-1010 center channel, Helix Ribbon MT and MTM, Life 5, Motus 3-way, Neo coaxial 12" and 15".
markg35, neptunefish and Jk7.2 like this.

post #106 of 111 Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 AM

That HTM1010 center sounds interesting— approx how tall will it be?
post #107 of 111 Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in L/C/R 893's with horizontal center as well.
post #108 of 111 Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Also interested in L/C/R 893's with horizontal center.
post #109 of 111 Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM

As soon as these are available please let us know and I am even willing to per order if that helps.

post #110 of 111 Old 06-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, I'm super curious about the HTM-1010. I would love to know more.
post #111 of 111 Old 08-12-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@Erich H Is there any news about the 893?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page