AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Spade for 3 runs of 11 AWG wire (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3054724-spade-3-runs-11-awg-wire.html)

qguy 03-06-2019 09:20 AM

Spade for 3 runs of 11 AWG wire

Going to make a tri-wire cable, each wire is 11 awg, any suggestion on a spade that would accept three 11 AWG for the amp end ?

Wire is Canare 4S11

fill35U 03-06-2019 10:13 AM

Three #11 wires will be the same as one #6 , so that might make shopping easier. If your wires are made of very fine strands, they will be larger overall, so something that accepts a single #4 might be easier to work with.

The Cable Company has lots of options, here's one from Furutech:

Furutech gold plated spade connectors at thecableco.com

Keep in mind that the diameter of the inside post can vary between different models of binding post terminals. You might want to measure the ones on your amps before shopping. Or you might be willing to file or bend the forks to fit.

If you can't find what you're looking for in spades, you can get ring terminals and cut/file a slot through the end to the hole, turning them into forks:

Gold plated ring terminals for #4 wire for 0.250" screw at parts-express.com

A9X-308 03-06-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qguy (Post 57702640)
Going to make a tri-wire cable

Why? You're wasting your time and money.

fill35U 03-06-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A9X-308 (Post 57705518)

I just figured he had either a 4000 watt subwoofer or a 250 ft distance from speaker to amp, and he already had a spool of 11ga sitting around...

qguy 03-07-2019 06:02 AM

It is my money to waste :)

and if you did your homework you would know that the cables that I would be using is just a little over a $1 per foot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A9X-308 (Post 57705518)

fill35U 03-07-2019 08:03 AM

And tri-wiring is a step on the way to passive tri-amping, which is a step on the on the way to active tri-amping. Hopefully you'll make it all the way to the end of that road. Have fun on the journey in the meantime!

A9X-308 03-07-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qguy (Post 57707226)
and if you did your homework you would know that the cables that I would be using is just a little over a $1 per foot.

I've used more of this stuff than you'll ever even see in a lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fill35U (Post 57707960)
And tri-wiring is a step on the way to passive tri-amping, which is a step on the on the way to active tri-amping.

The only steps triwiring and passive triamping offer is exercise to waste your time and money; they'll bring no sonic benefit. Passive triamping can, and does offer potential improvements over the two previous as well as simple passive xovers. You can do far, far more with a DSP than you can in the analog domain, either actively or passively.

warnerwh1 03-07-2019 05:55 PM

A9X-308 knows exactly what he is talking about. If you have the extra money you will get a much better return for your investment in sound quality with room treatments.

acras13 03-07-2019 06:45 PM

Perhaps he has a braid compulsion ? It might not be electrically or acoustically beneficial , but what price do you put on mental well-being?

fill35U 03-07-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A9X-308 (Post 57711110)
The only steps triwiring and passive triamping offer is exercise to waste your time and money; they'll bring no sonic benefit.

Triwiring or passive biamping might bring a benefit if the existing single wire or amp is inadequate for the desired volume level. In either case voltage drop along the speaker wire is reduced. In the latter case, current through each amplifier is reduced- and current is the root of many amplifier evils. Passive triamping would also allow distribution of power into the amps (less voltage drop for each from the wall outlet), and *maybe* less power dissipated in each amp.

I certainly agree that if the existing single wires or amp is reasonable for the desired sound level, multi-wiring or passive multi-amping isn't going to give a noticeable sonic benefit. Barely *measurable*, possibly, but it shouldn't be audible.

My point was that jumping straight into active multi-amping is usually a steep learning curve for most people. You need multiple sets of speaker cables, which are (should be!) relatively cheap, simple, quick, and easy to achieve. You'll need those cables and connections labeled and verified before you can multi-wire or multi-amp, so you might as well get that out of the way first. If that step is insurmountable, then you've saved yourself a lot of time and money.

Same with the next step, passive multi-amping. Figure out the multiple amps (or multi-channel amp), the mounting and interconnect cables. Get that all working before the last step.

All I'm saying is instead of making it an all-or-nothing proposition to purchase a shopping cart full of amps, rack, a loudspeaker management processor, interconnects, and speaker cables, the average person can make that investment gradually. And they can test the setup as it progresses. Even if the real payoff doesn't happen until the end.

Quote:

Passive triamping can, and does offer potential improvements over the two previous as well as simple passive xovers.
I assume that you meant *active* triamping? Again, I agree.

One thing passive crossovers can do(and therefore multi-wiring and passive multi-amping as well) that active multi-amping can't is offer a degree of inherent driver protection from amplifier faults. That's not much of concern for home audio, of course, unless the speakers are extremely valuable...

Quote:

You can do far, far more with a DSP than you can in the analog domain, either actively or passively.
I think you could do most things in the analog domain- just not as well, as easily, or as cheaply!

qguy 03-08-2019 05:25 AM

Lets get this straight, I never said there would be benefits into tri-wiring, or the goal was to improve the sonics by tri-wiring, My only question was asking which spade can fit three cables. Some of the members here immediately jump the gun on sonic improvements brought about tr-wiring. The loudspeakers are currently tri-wired, but with different branded wires, with different terminations and which are actually more expensive than the Canare 4s11. I just want to "Simplify" :) the connections by using a single termination on the amp end. I also want it to look better with identical cables for lows, mids and highs. I may even braid the three wires to make it "cooler" :)

As for Passive or active tri-wiring, I do not have plans to go this route at this time, I have the necessary power amps to implement this, but my single Rotel Power amp has enough juice to drive my loudspeakers to kingdom come :)