4x 18 inch Ultimax Sub Behind Screen Build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
I did an REW plot with 4 subs behind the screen, each 1/4 away from the side walls and the 1/4 from the ceiling and floor. when you incorporate corner mains, the final result is quite excellent with no EQ applied and 90% absorption on the AT wall.

It's about as good as one can expect so long as you have a high 90% absorption front wall or back wall (but not both). Perhaps cover the faces of all the speaker boxes with absorption in addition to filling in the front wall baffle with absorption?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.00.06 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	583.4 KB
ID:	2550656  
mtbdudex likes this.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I did an REW plot with 4 subs behind the screen, each 1/4 away from the side walls and the 1/4 from the ceiling and floor. when you incorporate corner mains, the final result is quite excellent with no EQ applied and 90% absorption on the AT wall.

It's about as good as one can expect so long as you have a high 90% absorption front wall or back wall (but not both). Perhaps cover the faces of all the speaker boxes with absorption in addition to filling in the front wall baffle with absorption?
I plan on filling up around the speakers with a bunch of rockwool. I am unsure what material to put over it though. I don't think I should have insulation just out in the open like that. Maybe black bed sheets?

Here's my first attempt at running rew measurements. Not really sure what I'm looking at yet. Open to any pointers. From what I can tell, it's not horrible... Maybe my settings in REW are flattening the graph out and I'm missing something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.39.32 PM.png
Views:	63
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2550668  
kagtha likes this.
post #63 of 74 Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassuki View Post
I plan on filling up around the speakers with a bunch of rockwool. I am unsure what material to put over it though. I don't think I should have insulation just out in the open like that. Maybe black bed sheets?

Here's my first attempt at running rew measurements. Not really sure what I'm looking at yet. Open to any pointers. From what I can tell, it's not horrible... Maybe my settings in REW are flattening the graph out and I'm missing something.
that looks really good without doing much of anything else... looks like the subs are in a great position!

Honestly it doesn't get that much better but you will be able to flatten that out pretty easily with most auto-eq. there aren't any serious nulls in 20-80hz so it should be easy to integrate with your mains.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
The subs are in place and hooked up. Now I have to get the mini DSP set up so I can crank it. I also have to build some stands to get the 1099 tweeters at ear level. I’ve only turned the amp up to about 9:00 and played it softly until i get the proper filters in place, but damn, they sound awesome. I wired each sub’s DVCs in series and then paired up each of them in parallel to the two channel 14k clone. Now I get to dive into the DSP REW rabbit hole.

I moved as much as I could out of the way so I could get the subs in the room.

Three down, one in the works:

They are bigger than a small child:

Finally, all four in place. Thanks to my buddies @hellerbrewing and Jason. My wife and I were unable to lift the loaded subs onto the bottom ones.
Holy crap those subs make the 1099s look dinky. And I know from experience "small" they are not. Geez laweez, I am tantalized over here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bedroom Audio: Two Shallow Under Bed PA310-8 12's energized by an SPA250DSP Plate Amp. Two BST-1s. 75 Watt 7.1 Onkyo AVR with Five Martin Logan MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds.
Living Room Audio: One Behringer NX6000D flexing four PA460-8's in a contemporary VBSS credenza build, 100 Watt 5.1 Sony AVR zapping Three horizontal Elusive 1099s LCRs and Two Martin Logan MLT-2 Surrounds. Two BST-1 Bass Shakers charged by the MLT-2 Sub Amp.
post #65 of 74 Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I’ve finally had the chance to watch a couple movies since finishing the subs and I am a happy camper. I watched interstellar on Vudu and felt like I was right there with Matthew McConaughey as he was going into the black hole. Awesome tactile feel even on my concrete floor. Sitting on the back row riser makes it all that much better. Then, last night I watched blade runner 2049 on blu ray with DTS HD MA and was grinning from ear to ear. It was intense. I’m going to compare to the digital copy on vudu, cause the blu ray sound seems much richer. Long live physical media! Lol
post #66 of 74 Old 06-07-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Much improved bass... I used up some extra safe and sound I had from the theater build and tried to fill many of the voids around the subs behind the screen. After doing so, I re ran audyssey and was amazed at the bass improvements. I don’t think the insulation caused this improvement, but something changed for the better. In previous audyssey calibrations, it had always told me to turn down my subs to be around 75db. This time, it had me turn them up to hit 75db. Would adding the 17hz HPF in my minidsp caused this change? I can’t think of anything else that would be different since the last time I ran audyssey before the minidsp was added. Whatever it is, I’ll take it. These things are scary now. I feel like I could break something. Hopefully I don’t fry the subs now.

brian6751 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #67 of 74 Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
4x 18 inch Ultimax Sub Behind Screen Build

Are you letting the Audyssey settings stay after calibration? Or, like most of us, are you adding LFE trim a few dB and or boosting any particular Fq’s? I wouldn’t worry about hurting or frying your subs with the setup you have. That’s lots of firepower, so you’d have to be doing something very wrong to hurt the drivers. Last time I watched blade runner 2049 I had to turn the bass down a few dB. Not because I was worried about the subs, it was just too much. Lol
Oh, and I also agree with your comment about the physical media. It’s been way better for me then any streaming.

Last edited by Jk7.2; 06-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #68 of 74 Old 06-07-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Are you letting the Audyssey settings stay after calibration? Or, like most of us, are you adding LFE trim a few dB and or boosting any particular Fq’s? I wouldn’t worry about hurting or frying your subs with the setup you have. That’s lots of firepower, so you’d have to be doing something very wrong to hurt the drivers. Last time I watched blade runner 2049 I had to turn the bass down a few dB. Not because I was worried about the subs, it was just too much. Lol
Oh, and I also agree with your comment about the physical media. It’s been way better for me then any streaming.

I am adjusting the sub level in the Denon from -9 to -5 and then I also did the distance hack and took it down from 13ft to 9ft. I just have a 17hz HPF in the minidsp since they are ported. I’m not doing any boosting or eq beyond that, although I would like to try some BEQ eventually. The bass sounds awesome at high levels, like when I’m watching at -5 or -6, but it could use a little more ooomph when I’m not listening as loud.
post #69 of 74 Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am adjusting the sub level in the Denon from -9 to -5 and then I also did the distance hack and took it down from 13ft to 9ft. I just have a 17hz HPF in the minidsp since they are ported. I’m not doing any boosting or eq beyond that, although I would like to try some BEQ eventually. The bass sounds awesome at high levels, like when I’m watching at -5 or -6, but it could use a little more ooomph when I’m not listening as loud.

Ok good good. Also, the Audyssey crossovers, do you set the mains to 80 so all bass below that goes to your subs?
post #70 of 74 Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok good good. Also, the Audyssey crossovers, do you set the mains to 80 so all bass below that goes to your subs?

Yes, I manually reset everything to 80 after audyssey initially had my mains at 40 and the volt 10 surrounds at 60.

My friend talked me into turning it up even more and it just keeps getting better. The scene in blade runner 2049 where his car is getting shot down is awesome and the first 30 or so min in mad max. Now I need to try some minidsp bass eq.
post #71 of 74 Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I manually reset everything to 80 after audyssey initially had my mains at 40 and the volt 10 surrounds at 60.

My friend talked me into turning it up even more and it just keeps getting better. The scene in blade runner 2049 where his car is getting shot down is awesome and the first 30 or so min in mad max. Now I need to try some minidsp bass eq.

Sweet. You’ve got it all under control.
You did mention wanting a little more bass just for lower volume listing. You could try the dynamic eq, or whatever your avr calls it, that gives you a little more bass as you turn down further under reference. I think it’s called that.
sassuki likes this.
post #72 of 74 Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sweet. You’ve got it all under control.
You did mention wanting a little more bass just for lower volume listing. You could try the dynamic eq, or whatever your avr calls it, that gives you a little more bass as you turn down further under reference. I think it’s called that.

Thanks for the suggestion and making sure I was doing it right. I’ll have to give the low volume listening setting a try. I thought it took away bass for some reason. I’d like to get the minidsp wireless module so I could load curves that way too.
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #73 of 74 Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Not sub related but make sure the horn on the 1099 is at ear level. Flip them over if necessary. Makes a huuuge difference.

Mike Butny likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #74 of 74 Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Not sub related but make sure the horn on the 1099 is at ear level. Flip them over if necessary. Makes a huuuge difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I measured the height of my ear level when seated at my MLP and built those stands to get the waveguide at that same level. I agree, it makes a very noticeable difference. I was using them without stands for a while until I got the subs done and could definitely tell an improved difference when I raised them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
ported subwoofer , ultimax 18" subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page