s2000 MTM for LCR - music/TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916

post #1 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 55
s2000 MTM for LCR - music/TV?

This system will be used in my den for casual music and TV, i have a separate dedicated theater of critical loud movie watching. In my den i have 2 x Polk 5.25 (rti4) driver bookshelf's and a matching center (csi4) with 2 x 5.25 drivers. Im looking to upgrade and considering DIY, i have done a few subs but never speakers. I do have a 12" sealed sub in my den. Has anyone built these? How would they compare to my polks? I guess my one concern is 2 x 4" drivers vs 5.25 driver in the polks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I didn't need to build anything either but I got the itch and just built the c-notes. They have a 5in driver, but it's really closer to 4 3/4in. Now with that said, they sound really good but have no bass compared to my jbl arena 130s with a 7in woofer. However, their mids and highs are so much better, once I have my subs done then the jbl are going back to the kids gaming area.

I have seen others compare the c-note and the s2000 mt, saying it has a little better drivers and are a little more efficient than the c-note. So if you are going to built 3 MTM's then those should blow the Polks away. If you are going to do LR mt and then mtm center, they should still sound better.

I know a few people here have built them so try the "search this thread" and see what you can find.

Good luck!

Last edited by eriksells916; 03-08-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: did not address forum members concerns
post #3 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am open to other suggestions. Problem with the DIY kits is its hard to find a matching center. I am looking for 2 bookshelves and a center for this set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want something larger and louder I see a of recommendations for the HT/M-8, Fusion 8 and volt6/8. All of them have a matching center except the volt 6/8 which you would then just build a 3rd one and use it vertically. I believe that it's sonically superior to an MTM design, but since you already have a dedicated theater there is no need.

I really want to do the Cobalt 8 but the matching center is a monster. If you don't have space constraints I hear that those are really nice. I have a small shelf under the TV so I have to keep my jbl 125c until a small badass center shows up or I modify my entire entertainment center. I like being married so I guess I will have to wait for a new center speaker design to come along LOL!
post #5 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
If you want something larger and louder I see a of recommendations for the HT/M-8, Fusion 8 and volt6/8. All of them have a matching center except the volt 6/8 which you would then just build a 3rd one and use it vertically. I believe that it's sonically superior to an MTM design, but since you already have a dedicated theater there is no need.

I really want to do the Cobalt 8 but the matching center is a monster. If you don't have space constraints I hear that those are really nice. I have a small shelf under the TV so I have to keep my jbl 125c until a small badass center shows up or I modify my entire entertainment center. I like being married so I guess I will have to wait for a new center speaker design to come along LOL!
Im in same boat as you, the cobalt 8 looks great, just cant manage the center at the moment. So im opting for a Volt 6 LCR with a modified center so it will fit.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Actually the fusion 8 center is bigger than the Cobalt center.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I built a LR MT and Center MTM set of the S2000s and was extremely impressed. The center actually puts out a good amount of bass. For what you are wanting them for I think you will be very happy. I am actually using these as my front stage in my HT setup and they are awesome. Also really easy first time DIY build. It looks like they sell pre-assembled crossovers now as well if that part seems to daunting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewweaver24 View Post
Im in same boat as you, the cobalt 8 looks great, just cant manage the center at the moment. So im opting for a Volt 6 LCR with a modified center so it will fit.
I asked Erich about the modified 6 center and he said there were no official plans. There is a member here who made one but I cannot find him. Do you have the plans? Or do you know how to design crossovers? I would be interested if you can.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUCowboy1389 View Post
I built a LR MT and Center MTM set of the S2000s and was extremely impressed. The center actually puts out a good amount of bass. For what you are wanting them for I think you will be very happy. I am actually using these as my front stage in my HT setup and they are awesome. Also really easy first time DIY build. It looks like they sell pre-assembled crossovers now as well if that part seems to daunting.

Thanks Cowboy! If the volt 6 center doesn't work I might do the s2000 since I have a nice living room theater but 2 small kids, so quality low level listening is my life.

Ricky's show about the Cowboys golf team is really good!
OSUCowboy1389 likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I asked Erich about the modified 6 center and he said there were no official plans. There is a member here who made one but I cannot find him. Do you have the plans? Or do you know how to design crossovers? I would be interested if you can.
i believe smcmillan2 did a modified volt 6 center. You may be able to find his build. From what ive read/been told as long as you keep the internal volume the same, the volts can be modified.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:

I modified a Volt-6 for horizontal center use - In my sig.

ETA: ^^ Beat me to it...

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #12 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, this may work. I’m assuming the s2000s are a step up from Polk? I don’t think the volts or something along those lines would work in the family den. I have a dedicated theater in the basement with 4x Marty Subs 7.4.4 etc, what i need for the family room is something refined and will blend in with a high WAF. I can do whatever i want in the dedicated theater.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
Thanks guys, this may work. I’m assuming the s2000s are a step up from Polk? I don’t think the volts or something along those lines would work in the family den. I have a dedicated theater in the basement with 4x Marty Subs 7.4.4 etc, what i need for the family room is something refined and will blend in with a high WAF. I can do whatever i want in the dedicated theater.
Here is one of my finished MTs for an idea

post #14 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I don't know if you'll see a drastic difference from your polks but the S2000's are considered awesome for their price.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I modified a Volt-6 for horizontal center use - In my sig.

ETA: ^^ Beat me to it...
LOL! That thing will fit under my tv by about 1/4 inch. I might have to do it?

I know you have HTM 10 fronts, but have you listened to the volts as mains by chance? I will have a sub(s) soon and will cross them at 80hz if you think they are worthy? I have 2 kids, as I said so movies are typically low listening level affairs.

Thanks!
post #16 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL! That thing will fit under my tv by about 1/4 inch. I might have to do it?

I know you have HTM 10 fronts, but have you listened to the volts as mains by chance? I will have a sub(s) soon and will cross them at 80hz if you think they are worthy? I have 2 kids, as I said so movies are typically low listening level affairs.

Thanks!
I did listen to the Volt-6s as my main L/R for a couple of days in my family room (not where the HTM-10s are located). Impressed by the amount of bass the 6s put out for their size, but I would definitely lean to the 8s or 10s for use as L/R. Pretty sure I posted my initial reaction in that build thread.

The Volt-6 is a little lean paired up with the HTM-10s, but that actually works in our favor as we are both in our 50s and sometimes have issues with dialogue. The Volt-6 center in there is clean and clear, no issues with voices now. It's actually moving into our family room soon, to be replaced with a Fusion-8 center build that I'm wrapping up. I hope the F8 is as clear across the seating area as the Volt-6 has been.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

post #17 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did listen to the Volt-6s as my main L/R for a couple of days in my family room (not where the HTM-10s are located). Impressed by the amount of bass the 6s put out for their size, but I would definitely lean to the 8s or 10s for use as L/R. Pretty sure I posted my initial reaction in that build thread.

The Volt-6 is a little lean paired up with the HTM-10s, but that actually works in our favor as we are both in our 50s and sometimes have issues with dialogue. The Volt-6 center in there is clean and clear, no issues with voices now. It's actually moving into our family room soon, to be replaced with a Fusion-8 center build that I'm wrapping up. I hope the F8 is as clear across the seating area as the Volt-6 has been.
Thanks. I will go back and read the entire thread.

Yea the fusion 8 center looks like it would sound awesome! I built my entertainment center around my current LCRs and TV location and did not future proof it, so a short wide center is what I am stuck with.

Have a good weekend!
post #18 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Not sure the time frame you have but I’m going to start my front stage of Volt 6’s in about a week. I would be glad to give you my impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I will go back and read the entire thread.

Yea the fusion 8 center looks like it would sound awesome! I built my entertainment center around my current LCRs and TV location and did not future proof it, so a short wide center is what I am stuck with.

Have a good weekend!
Don't want to derail the OP's thread, but similar modifications could be made to the Volt-8 to be a horizontal center. I actually had plans to do so before the Fusion-8s came back - Ordered a pair of HTM-6s and a Volt-8, the HTMs for the family room, the Volt-8 as the center in the living room. That order was cancelled and I got the F8s instead.

Listening to the F8 center right now, I didn't put enough fill in it so it is sounding a little thin. Will work on that over the weekend, then give it a good listen in it's intended position when the new TV arrives. Will update my build thread when that happens.

post #20 of 20 Old 03-08-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't want to derail the OP's thread, but similar modifications could be made to the Volt-8 to be a horizontal center. I actually had plans to do so before the Fusion-8s came back - Ordered a pair of HTM-6s and a Volt-8, the HTMs for the family room, the Volt-8 as the center in the living room. That order was cancelled and I got the F8s instead.

Listening to the F8 center right now, I didn't put enough fill in it so it is sounding a little thin. Will work on that over the weekend, then give it a good listen in it's intended position when the new TV arrives. Will update my build thread when that happens.
Too late, I derailed this thing hours ago sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewweaver24 View Post
Not sure the time frame you have but I’m going to start my front stage of Volt 6’s in about a week. I would be glad to give you my impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I am starting my subs and trying to finish another center channel build so keep me posted for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page