DIYSG Titan 615LX vs Boston Acoustics VR3 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #271 of 276 Old 11-30-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Unless the midrange is really small and beaming, you will get reinforcement in the mids with the mains right up against the wall. This is all established science.

You seem really mixed up about a lot of things. “Small and beaming” is yet another example

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 276 Old 11-30-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 705
In Floyd Toole's book, he shows two plots of measurements of an Infinity Primus 160, each performed in an anechoic chamber. One is measured into full-space, while the other is half-space, mounted flush on a large baffle. Here's the figure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker_flush.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2647796  
post #273 of 276 Old 11-30-2019, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've been running 3 Titan's in front of my theater for the past 2-3 years. While I was rebuilding my room, I had just finished the Titan's and ran them without absorption at the first reflection points for a couple weeks until I got the sound treatments built. They had great soundstage width and sounded fantastic to my ears, my baseline were a pair of Polk RTi speakers I'd owned and a pair of JBL 4367's. Shortly after this I finished my sound treatments and hung up my absorption panels at the first and second reflection points. I was immediately shocked that the front soundstage width and dispersion was completely ruined, and had an experience very similar to what Steve was describing here. It felt like the Titan's were significantly lacking soundstage width and presence. By simply pulling the first reflection panels off the wall and laying them on the floor, the soundstage was immediately restored to its former glory. After lots of eq and time spent, that's how I still run them today and am very happy with the result.

Anyway FWIW and YMMV and all that. But I totally see what you're saying here Steve and agree to a large extent with your assessment. Fortunately I was able to make them work, albeit with an unconventional method (no treatments at first reflection points). I've been meaning to try diffusion panels there instead, but have been enjoying the setup and have therefore been too lazy to build them.... heh
DS-21 and dasa2131 like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Humble Theater

Last edited by turbonut; 11-30-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 276 Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Shortly after this I finished my sound treatments and hung up my absorption panels at the first and second reflection points. I was immediately shocked that the front soundstage width and dispersion was completely ruined, and had an experience very similar to what Steve was describing here. It felt like the Titan's were significantly lacking soundstage width and presence. By simply pulling the first reflection panels off the wall and laying them on the floor, the soundstage was immediately restored to its former glory...Fortunately I was able to make them work, albeit with an unconventional method (no treatments at first reflection points).
Not turning your room into an ugly, dead padded cell isn't "unconventional."

Delusions that an insane asylum style cell is a hospitable listening environment is the unconventional (and bad sounding) approach.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #275 of 276 Old 12-01-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 791
@turbonut - you mentioned this was in your theater. How many speakers are you using for surround sound? Did you have and keep absorption panels elsewhere in the room? In my size theater, 15.5 x 27.5 x 9 - which i consider medium to small - lack of panels with 15 discrete speakers would be a mess in terms of coherence.

Are you EQ boosting the top end of the Titans?
post #276 of 276 Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@turbonut - you mentioned this was in your theater. How many speakers are you using for surround sound? Did you have and keep absorption panels elsewhere in the room? In my size theater, 15.5 x 27.5 x 9 - which i consider medium to small - lack of panels with 15 discrete speakers would be a mess in terms of coherence.

Are you EQ boosting the top end of the Titans?
Hey Steve, I'm only running a 7.1 setup at this time. This room is really just function over form, it was a finished bonus room and I didn't want to gut/tear it up too much. We anticipate moving within the next year so I've been living with it for now. Anyway my current theater is 29' x 14' but is over the garage so has partially sloped ceilings on the extreme ends, 8' in the center section. The rest of the room is fully treated with acoustic panels. The quick breakdown is 2 layers of 1" Linacoustic sandwiched with 6mil plastic on the front wall, panels at FR second reflection points, panels at first reflection points of rear surrounds, 4 large panels on back wall. The room is tamed down quite a bit but I made sure not to go overboard and make it totally dead as I'm not a fan of that type of sound. I played around with treatments quite a bit and systematically added them until I got something I was happy with. It sounds very good to my ear, and I'm an extremely picky NVH guy by trade Absorption at the 1st reflection points of my FR speakers was a bad idea. I had the same experience with the ceiling panels as well, and strongly feel like some QD-17 or QD-23 diffusion panels would work much better in these areas.... at least in my room!

As far as eq on the top end of the Titans, I haven't felt the need to add any gain in this room. I plan to use the Titan's in my next room build (new construction) so will need to figure this out all over again, but hey it's the joy of the hunt for the perfect tune I seem to be after anyway. Keeps me busy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Humble Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page