In wall speaker in a free standing panel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In wall speaker in a free standing panel?

I posted this question in the speaker section but got no responses. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on if this will work.

I currently am running a pair of Parts Express C-Note speakers as rear surrounds in a 5.1 system, but they are not in an ideal location due to room constraints. In order to have my rear surrounds in the correct location I need to use in wall speakers, but I only have one wall that is close enough on one side. My question is if I built a 2x4 panel on 16" centers roughly 5' tall would I compromise the sound of whatever speakers I placed in the panel? I'm really just trying to decide if this is worth the effort to do, I haven't even begun to research what speakers I would use in this panel.
Bottlemech2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Can you take a picture of the room or draw a diagram of the room so we can get a better idea? My understanding is in wall speakers are designed as open baffle so I don't see why this wouldn't work. Without the stud wall cavity they may sound a bit thinner but for surround speakers as long as they play at sufficient volume for effects work it should be ok.

In terms of what speakers to use, I am currently using 17 Monoprice in wall speakers in two different systems to good effect. I'm sure there are better in wall speakers but for the price and effect duty, they are quite adequate. I tend to go for the 8 inch versions when possible and have used the Caliber and Alpha series.

Last edited by Zarkoff500; 03-14-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Zarkoff500 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkoff500 View Post
Can you take a picture of the room or draw a diagram of the room so we can get a better idea? My understanding is in wall speakers are designed as open baffle so I don't see why this wouldn't work. Without the stud wall cavity they may sound a bit thinner but for surround speakers as long as they play at sufficient volume for effects work it should be ok.
This is a picture of the space before we bought the house. On the near side of where the 2 post are is where the MLP is, this is where my couch sits, from the near end of the couch to the wall where one of the in wall speakers would be installed is about 2 feet.

I would build the panel just like a wall with 2x4s but would probably use MDF or furniture grade plywood on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	2538870  
Bottlemech2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Is this somewhat like your layout? I've added some quality MS Paint furniture to illustrate my understanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	2538878  
Zarkoff500 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkoff500 View Post
Is this somewhat like your layout? I've added some quality MS Paint furniture to illustrate my understanding.
Yes for the most part, the speaker you drew is currently hanging on the wall next to the door frame angled at my head. when I build the panel it will be roughly 6' away from MLP because there is another chair on the other side of the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	2538880  

Last edited by Bottlemech2; 03-14-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Bottlemech2 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
notfastenough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I only have a primitive understanding of open baffle, but I'm sure room placement has a lot to do with how you manage any back waves from the speaker. With an open area behind it without much reflection toward the MLP, you might be OK.

If you notice any weird sound or resonances, it might take some kind of back wave control to fix those issues. Off the top of my head, I'd think building a mock wall cavity full of denim absorption and roughly sealed should mimic an actual in-wall installation. If they are crossed high enough, I bet the sound difference would be negligible. Just build two of the 2'X4' panels and make it as deep as needed to mock the 16" c2c X wall height wall cavity. Should have a result that would be as good as you could expect for a compromise with room placement.
notfastenough is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
I only have a primitive understanding of open baffle, but I'm sure room placement has a lot to do with how you manage any back waves from the speaker. With an open area behind it without much reflection toward the MLP, you might be OK.

If you notice any weird sound or resonances, it might take some kind of back wave control to fix those issues. Off the top of my head, I'd think building a mock wall cavity full of denim absorption and roughly sealed should mimic an actual in-wall installation. If they are crossed high enough, I bet the sound difference would be negligible. Just build two of the 2'X4' panels and make it as deep as needed to mock the 16" c2c X wall height wall cavity. Should have a result that would be as good as you could expect for a compromise with room placement.
I only have room for one, the other will be in an actual wall, but I do plan on the panel being just like a wall cavity.
Bottlemech2 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
notfastenough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottlemech2 View Post
I only have room for one, the other will be in an actual wall, but I do plan on the panel being just like a wall cavity.
Sorry if I wasn't being clear, but that's what I was trying to get at. Since one surround would be in a "real" wall cavity, build the other wall "module" to have a similar volume and closed back, rather than fully open baffle.
notfastenough is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off