HTM-8 L/R and Fusion 8 center build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #31 of 131 Old 03-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Woodcraft sells ‘clamping squares’ for $10-20 that you can use to square up panels as the glue dries. I have used them with 6” clamps plus a nail gun. You use the squares/clamps to align the panels, then nail, let it sit for a few minutes for the glue to set, and then remove and go to the next panel.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 131 Old 03-30-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Started assembly today. Without a brad nailer, it was very challenging to get the cab glued, aligned, and optimally clamped. Awkward, messy, and a little frustrating as I ended up with a least one area that is not perfectly aligned and will need a little sanding.

I need to figure out a better strategy for getting the next cab glued up.
My method, and this stems from not having enough clamps , is to glue/clamp a side, top or bottom, and the brace to the back. Let sit for an hour (assuming using Titebond or similar, fairly quick setup time), remove clamps and glue the other panels. Fewer edges to align at once = less frustration.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #33 of 131 Old 03-30-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
My method, and this stems from not having enough clamps , is to glue/clamp a side, top or bottom, and the brace to the back. Let sit for an hour (assuming using Titebond or similar, fairly quick setup time), remove clamps and glue the other panels. Fewer edges to align at once = less frustration.

I was going over things in my head while the first cab dries and I came up with the same idea. I’m thinking back panel, brace, and a side panel. Two clamps for brace to back. Two for brace to side. And two for side to back. This should keep everything squared up and give a solid foundation to glue the other three sides In place. Oh well. I don’t think the first one is a disaster...just not as perfect as I would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First box is ready for caulk, stuffing, and crossover. Here's a couple of closeups of the area(s) where I didn't get the panels aligned perfectly. I think a little bit of bond/spackle and light sanding and it will be ok. I'll glue up the second cab today and get them both caulked up. These cabs are quite thin, so wondering if I should add a little more bracing to eliminate any possible cabinet resonance, or if there is some type of sound deadener that can/should be attached to the inside panels? I will be using R6.7 denim insulation for stuffing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2546738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2546740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2546742  
Craig S King likes this.
post #35 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Are you going to paint or veneer or ?

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #36 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
Are you going to paint or veneer or ?
These will be painted. I plan on a smooth, satin black finish. I'm not opposed to veneer, and would have been a fun project to try, but I'm good with plain old black.

Started gluing the second cab. Did this one differently...I only glued the back panel, brace, and one side panel. It used 9 of my 12 clamps to properly clamp it all. After clamping and wiping off the excess glue, I clamped the top panel above the brace dry without glue just to square up the side panel as it wasn't 100% square when I test fitted the top panel. So used 11 clamps!! Glad I bought a couple extra. I know this stuff sets up pretty good after an hour or so but the glue says to not stress the joints for 24 hours, so I will let this set up over night and glue the other three panels in place tomorrow evening. My denim is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I thought about using Speakon for terminals, because Speakon, but I already bought and paid for regular banana terminals so meh.

Any strong recommendations for bondo vs spackle for seams? Want to make sure whatever I use is permanent and durable without any chance for cracking over time or anything.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2546874  
smcmillan2 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #37 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any strong recommendations for bondo vs spackle for seams? Want to make sure whatever I use is permanent and durable without any chance for cracking over time or anything.
I normally use wood putty for seams and have been happy with the results. As long as the panels are well glued, and depending on the size of the gap, spackle should work just fine too and can be easier to get into the gaps. In your prior pics it doesn't look like you have any seams that couldn't be filled with spackle (but sometimes it can be difficult seeing them in pictures).
post #38 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
These will be painted. I plan on a smooth, satin black finish. I'm not opposed to veneer, and would have been a fun project to try, but wife strongly preferred black and I'm happy either way.

Started gluing the second cab. Did this one differently...I only glued the back panel, brace, and one side panel. It used 9 of my 12 clamps to properly clamp it all. After clamping and wiping off the excess glue, I clamped the top panel above the brace dry without glue just to square up the side panel as it wasn't 100% square when I test fitted the top panel. So used 11 clamps!! Glad I bought a couple extra. I know this stuff sets up pretty good after an hour or so but the glue says to not stress the joints for 24 hours, so I will let this set up over night and glue the other three panels in place tomorrow evening. My denim is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I thought about using Speakon for terminals, because Speakon, but I already bought and paid for regular banana terminals so meh.

I use Bondo for bigger areas and Spackle for smaller(nail holes, small seams).You might look into Duratex if you want black(you can actually get colors also)I find it works better hiding imperfections.Depending on the way you apply it you can have a very smooth finish to a very pebblely finish.Another bonus...it's very tough.
post #39 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I normally use wood putty for seams and have been happy with the results. As long as the panels are well glued, and depending on the size of the gap, spackle should work just fine too and can be easier to get into the gaps. In your prior pics it doesn't look like you have any seams that couldn't be filled with spackle (but sometimes it can be difficult seeing them in pictures).
Wood puddy doesn't harden. Wood filler, it wood patch hardens and can be stained.

Duratex hides a multitude of sin...

I pc-7 the ports in (I like to use PVC ports with a round-over bit). I usually have a bit left over so will hit any imperfections with it. This 2-part epoxy cures all that ails you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #40 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyandersen View Post
Wood puddy doesn't harden. Wood filler, it wood patch hardens and can be stained.
Yes, apologies, I have a bad habit of incorrectly referring to filler as putty. Famowood filler is my go-to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyandersen
Duratex hides a multitude of sin...
Indeed it does, love the stuff. Although I find it difficult to get even coverage on things like baffles, with so little flat area. Going to try spraying it next time.
post #41 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 01:03 PM

With regard to the clamping order I put plastic down on a flat surface. I lay the back down either side and top and bottom. I apply glue to 3 edges of the sides (not the end, just where the back and sides interface) and the back edge of the top and bottom (where they interface with the back). I lightly assemble the box, but down squish too much glue out). I put two clamps on the table on either side that run parallel with the box height. This aligns the sides with the top and bottom and also clamps the top and bottom to the back.

Then I run two clamps across and just above the first set of clamps. This squeezes the sides to the back, top and bottom. Then I use two more clamps near the front of the box also cross ways from the first set. This squeezes the other side of the sides to the top and bottom. If you are careful and check the alignment as you go the clamping force will keep everything aligned.

If there is a center window brace I'll add one clamp cross ways again in the middle at the window brace.

This technique will glue 5 sides together with just 6 clamps, or at the most 7 clamps. Then once set up, it's relatively easy to glue the baffle on. It's pretty fast as well as you only have two setups per one box. I use the aluminum extruded bar clamps from harbor freight.

Since Christmas, I've built:
(4) 18" subwoofers
(4) volt 6s
(2) volt 8s
(2) cinema 8s
(1) fusion 7 center (which had to be modified)
(10) overnight sensation MTM
(6) overnight sensation TM

The only way I could get all that done was to have a relatively quick way if gluing boxes up.

post #42 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
HTM-8 L/R and Fusion 8 center build

Took my 13 clamps to get 1 HTM-8 completely done except baffle

I’d wait 4-5 hours for glue to decently dry then do next one

post #43 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Took my 13 clamps to get 1 HTM-8 completely done except baffle

I’d wait 4-5 hours for glue to decently dry then do next one

Of course glue drying depends on temperature, but at room temp I pulled the clamps off once the glue started to turn mostly transparent -- maybe 40-60 minutes. The reason I do that is the glue is still soft enough at that point that you can easily scrape it. That way you save labor and effort. I treat the easy, but I've never had one come apart.

mtbdudex likes this.
post #44 of 131 Old 03-31-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HTM-8 L/R and Fusion 8 center build

My method:
Apply glue lightly on one side of joint, put piece on joint, lightly press together, pull off, look at glue both pieces, if needed put glue just where needed.
I have a damp washcloth, as I test each joint wipe outside if needed.
Continue for all joints, strategy is use a little glue as needed, wipe as little as needed.
Add clamps... it’s a learned pattern, just lightly tighten , keep joint square, wipe excess, add more clamps.
I have all clamps on and did the initial wipes as needed, then just snug them good.

After all clamped, I take my finger inside and wipe each joint interface to make sure coverage and nice looking.

Everyone learns what works for them.

openbaffled and smcmillan2 like this.
post #45 of 131 Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Made a little progress on the HTM-8's today. Planned out where I want to put stuffing, how much to use, and where to mount the crossover. Realized I didn't have much 16 gauge wire to connect to the crossover for speakers and input, and I think 14 gauge is too big?

I know this is an extremely minor detail, but does anyone have advice/suggestions as to whether I should use 16/14/12 guage wire inside the cab? The perfectionist in me says to use 12 gauge since these speakers can handle a lot of power..why run nice heavy 12 gauge to the cab and then chincy 16g inside? Also, I didn't have any connectors to fit the board so just screwed the clamps down onto the bare wire, making a U shape with the wire around the screw.

Tomorrow, I will cut the holes for the banana terminals, glue in the stuffing, mount the crossovers, and glue the baffles down so the cabs are built and ready for finishing. Here's my current stuffing layout. It's not super thick so I don't think I used too much.

Almost forgot, I also plan to caulk all the same inside the cab just to be 100% sure there is never an air leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	2548064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	2548066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2548068  
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #46 of 131 Old 04-02-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've used 14Ga inside all my builds, no issues thus far. On my terminals all I had to do was open the screw to bring the top plate up enough to push straight wire under it, then tighten them down. Nothing has come loose yet.

You might need to cut away some of the denim on the lower sides, depending on how it interacts with the ports.
post #47 of 131 Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The stuffing will be up against the port if I don't trim it away....Should the ends of the ports be free all the way around for proper flow? I think I'll cut out the bottom couple inches on the sides just in case.

Does the HTM-8 flat pack seem a little light on bracing to anyone? Kind of wondering if I should add a little bit more bracing, especially in the woofer section.

Last edited by bear123; 04-02-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #48 of 131 Old 04-02-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
^ we don't know how many man hours and how much R&D and money (not counting college educations?)went into "these" DIYSG designs

but I'm willing to bet on the house for this one . .

crank it

these HTM6's - no stuffing within about 4 inches

they are unbelievably clear, detailed and the sound field is generally huge and seemingly impossibly , at times, 3D immersive.

they are on stands about 15" tall

there is also a generous handful of poly behind the horn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181026_145006.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2548086  
mtbdudex and bear123 like this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #49 of 131 Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The stuffing will be up against the port if I don't trim it away....Should the ends of the ports be free all the way around for proper flow? I think I'll cut out the bottom couple inches on the sides just in case.

Does the HTM-8 flat pack seem a little light on bracing to anyone? Kind of wondering if I should add a little bit more bracing, especially in the woofer section.
I try to keep the ports free, and I usually put a 1/16" radius on it. The reason probably don't do much but make me feel good.

The HTM 8 is wider than the cinema 8 or fusion 8 center, so I can't say for sure. Both the cinema 8 and fusion 8 center seem quite robust as the are made from 3/4 HDF for the most part (only the fusion 8 center baffle was MDF). Test on it lightly with a hammer and see if it rings. If it damps out quickly and doesn't give you that drum-like hollow sounds your probably be okay.

post #50 of 131 Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
looking ahead
there's a possibility you may build something else , maybe not even a speaker,
that's O.K. but it's probably only a temporary "fix"

those black right angle jigs things- the right stuff
from Rockler
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181217_165452.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2548370  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #51 of 131 Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cut the holes for the terminals today, caulked the seams, glued in stuffing, mounted one of the crossovers and glued the baffle on. So one cab is ready for sanding/finish prep. I'll glue the other baffle on tomorrow so I have enough clamps and both speakers will be ready for prep. I added a piece of stuffing to the top of the cab and trimmed the sides shorter so they don't interfere with the port.

Zero progress on getting the panels cut for the center channel.
post #52 of 131 Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did not add any more bracing to my HTM-8’s, also as noted made sure area by port free of material, including black speaker grille cloth
I painted the inside wood black so can’t see anything if looking in from outside

post #53 of 131 Old 04-05-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Missed the xover wire gage Q
I’ve used this 16ga red/red-black wire for many many builds, this is my 3rd spool.

18Hurts likes this.
post #54 of 131 Old 04-06-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I decided to use wood filler for getting the cabs ready for primer rather than spackle. I don't want fragile spackle to end up damaged or cracked if I bump the speaker on something. Seems like wood filler will be much more durable. Hope to share some progress tomorrow.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #55 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking for suggestions on how to finish the cabs. I want a nice smooth, low gloss satin black finish. I don't know if I should roll on primer, sand in between coats, just a apply a bunch of coats with no sanding, etc etc. Same goes for the paint. Roll it on? Sand coats? I don't have a paint sprayer so its either roll, brush, or spray paint. Should I use some kind of low glass lacquer for the final layer?
post #56 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Getting seams covered. I sanded the cabs down until I felt like they were completely smooth then used wood filler. It was REALLY thick and hard to work with. I dribbled a little water in and mixed it up, which thinned it quite a lot and made it spread on smooth as butter. Was MUCH easier. Hoping to sand today if it dries quickly enough and do a second coat if needed. I'd like to have them ready for primer today.

Need to make a run to the store to pick up primer and paint, and probably some smooth rollers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1298.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2550100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2550102  
Craig S King likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-07-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #57 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
… Does the HTM-8 flat pack seem a little light on bracing to anyone? Kind of wondering if I should add a little bit more bracing, especially in the woofer section.
Depends on how much you trust the designers at DIYSG. On the DIYSG website look at the cutaway drawings of every one of the smaller flat packs for 6" and 8" woofer models in the home theater speaker section. They're all made of 1/2" Baltic birch with minimal bracing. I don't recall a single instance of anyone on this forum ever expressing the need to add additional bracing to any of those flat packs.
post #58 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dang. I sanded the wood filler down, and not sure if I accomplished anything. I think I sanded most all the wood filler away. Maybe this filled the seams a little. I don't know. I'll do another thin smooth coat and sand again. But then I think I'll move on to primer. Prime x 4, paint x several, lacquer, sand?

Unless I learn different from some research before beginning, I think I'll sand each coat of primer as I want a really smooth professional looking finish. Same with the paint. I need to figure out what type of primer and paint to use....latex, enamel, oil, etc. I'm assuming NOT latex so that it dries nice and hard and won't be trying to sand rubbery latex paint.

Last edited by bear123; 04-07-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #59 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 2633
Quote:
No extra bracing is needed, especially with a cabinet that small and shallow. The full horizontal window brace locks the entire width of the front panel to the entire width of the rear panel. If you add more bracing it wouldn't really change anything, but would make installing the crossover kind of difficult.

The speakers get tested and abused during the prototype and design phase and if anything needs changed on the cabinet or ports it's taken care of.
bear123 likes this.

post #60 of 131 Old 04-07-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
No extra bracing is needed, especially with a cabinet that small and shallow. The full horizontal window brace locks the entire width of the front panel to the entire width of the rear panel. If you add more bracing it wouldn't really change anything, but would make installing the crossover kind of difficult.

The speakers get tested and abused during the prototype and design phase and if anything needs changed on the cabinet or ports it's taken care of.
Thanks Erich! While you're here, question for ya. I need to cut the ports for the HTM-8 to 2" in length if Im not mistaken. Where do I measure from, the top most part of the flared opening? or below the ribbed portion that presses into the cab? I'm assuming total length including the flare should be 2". Almost ready for primer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page