Any Flat-Line Graphed Sub builds from 20hz up in here? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By unretarded
  • 3 Post By jujuman200
  • 2 Post By jcmccorm
  • 1 Post By LTD02
  • 3 Post By asarose247

post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any Flat-Line Graphed Sub builds from 20hz up in here?

So I am about to add 2 HSU VTF3 MK5s to my cart after a lot of consideration and research. I love the Flat-Line graph they produce and I feel they will give me the most for my money. Then I made the mistake of stumbling into this forum. I have a full blown wood workshop in my garage complete with bandsaw to make my own veneers and the skill to make it happen. Being an engineer, I can calculate proper cubic feet for a box, but I don't have the time to tweak something to tune it. I'd love to find some plans. So who here has built a sub that will get down deep enough to rumble the neighborhood and play steadily up to all the necessary octaves that a good sub can produce? Total budget being the same cost as the HSUs which is less than 1800$ for the pair not including the finishing material... I got that sitting around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
That response graph is not in room response.....

To get that response in room will require a ideal location and DSP...……

Most quality subs built here can have a real in room graph like that with some work.

A quality driver of the same performance level in a well constructed box can duplicate that, nothing crazy is required. The magic is integrating it into the room to get a great graph, some thing that will need to be done with the hsu or a home built.

In reality every room is different, they share some of the same characteristics, but you will have trial and error in selecting the best available spot in your room ………..that graph basically goes out the window when you put it in a room,.....same sub in 2 different room will sound very very different as will each location in the room change how it sounds/.the graph will change.
fill35U likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Look up the Marty thread. Sounds like you need a couple full Marty's with 18s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok thanks guys. I found the MartySub and am overwhelmed with the info. I am a software engineer... not an audio engineer and this is gonna take lots of studying. The good thing is that I won't be moving for 6 months so I have time to learn. I don't see myself needing a box that HUGE but props to those that have a significant other that will allow that... and to the single guys out there... do yourself a favor and stay that way. So I did a little research on sub placement and it seams that the "sub crawl" seems popular. Is there a better way aside from taking measurements? I don't have the gear and I would rather keep that money in my sub budget. My buddy has a decent Klipsch sub that I can borrow and learn from in the meantime. Man.. some of you guys blow me away with your knowledge on this subject!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketofani View Post
Ok thanks guys. I found the MartySub and am overwhelmed with the info. I am a software engineer... not an audio engineer and this is gonna take lots of studying. The good thing is that I won't be moving for 6 months so I have time to learn. I don't see myself needing a box that HUGE but props to those that have a significant other that will allow that... and to the single guys out there... do yourself a favor and stay that way. So I did a little research on sub placement and it seams that the "sub crawl" seems popular. Is there a better way aside from taking measurements? I don't have the gear and I would rather keep that money in my sub budget. My buddy has a decent Klipsch sub that I can borrow and learn from in the meantime. Man.. some of you guys blow me away with your knowledge on this subject!
@miketofani

Measurements are your best bet..... as others have said, each room is different. The "gear" won't kill your budget.
As a software engineer, you already have at least 3 laptops.... REW software is FREE..... a USB measurement mic is about $100 or so..

WARNING!!!!

Leave NOW while you still can..... forget that you found this DIY section.....the DISEASE is REAL!!

IF you stay and learn stuff, you WILL have at least FOUR Full Marty subs in your house within a year or so.... NOT kidding.....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.....

csmithny06, unretarded and drewp29 like this.

Wish List: LLT Sub Dual UM-18, 25 cuft 12Hz tune. Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html
DIY so far: LCR (RCF H100 3way) 2 - Full MARTY 460HO ( PIX from OLD profile) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post39937738
2- VBSS and a DIY Bass Shaker
post #6 of 13 Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketofani View Post
So I am about to add 2 HSU VTF3 MK5s to my cart after a lot of consideration and research. I love the Flat-Line graph they produce and I feel they will give me the most for my money. Then I made the mistake of stumbling into this forum. I have a full blown wood workshop in my garage complete with bandsaw to make my own veneers and the skill to make it happen. Being an engineer, I can calculate proper cubic feet for a box, but I don't have the time to tweak something to tune it. I'd love to find some plans. So who here has built a sub that will get down deep enough to rumble the neighborhood and play steadily up to all the necessary octaves that a good sub can produce? Total budget being the same cost as the HSUs which is less than 1800$ for the pair not including the finishing material... I got that sitting around.
Do yourself a favor and spend a little time researching what you can do with DIY. You'll be glad you did.

I was in the exact same boat as you last summer (hey, I'm even an engineer ) I was looking at getting a couple of HSU's and stumbled in here. I was overwhelmed at first, but kept reading. Pretty soon I started to grasp on the common things that need to be done to build a sub; the popular drivers being used (and why), an external amp, ported vs sealed and the benefits of each, different box designs, etc. I read, asked questions, and learned a lot from the great folks here. It wasn't long before I was ready to go.

I went the easy way first (and I'm still enjoying it); a pair of 18" UM18 drivers bundled with pre-cut sealed kits. No cutting was required, just glueing/clamping and then finishing.

I got two 18" subs for $424 each, plus $349 for the amp; total of $1200. They're fantastic and put a smile on my face every time I watch something. If you're willing to spend a little time and effort, there's no better bang-for-the-buck.

Of course, those were just "gateway speakers" and now I've added DIY speakers for LCR and surrounds (5 total), plus nearfield subs. But that's another story....
michael hurd and unretarded like this.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 837 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 3627
hi mike,

the full marty (and the rest of them for that matter) are here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post57121996

the images in the original post were lost when they expired on tapatalk.

the full marty is tuned to around 16-17hz and is probably what you want if you have the space, otherwise go for the mini (if you prefer a horizontal form factor there is a cyclops design). just be sure to brace it well (there are lots of ways to go about that). stuffing/lining isn't critical for subs crossed in at 80hz.

if you need some assistance and for some reason don't get a reply here, shoot me a pm and i'll try to help you out.

good luck with your project!
unretarded likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Of course, those were just "gateway speakers" and now I've added DIY speakers for LCR and surrounds (5 total), plus nearfield subs. But that's another story....
...and down the rabbit hole he went (as did the rest of us!). As jujuman said, get out now while you still can...

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
a big +1
for post 2 , 5, 6

5 years ago member @kevings needed someone to help build a marty and a cube. i live close by, have some tools and time.
fastforwrd . . .
he's still on fire . . .and burning brightly

as for flatlined . . . .
gotta be in-room measured response

you like tools/
get the right ones for this venture

compare these 2 graphs before and after,
light years beyond the best sub crawl possibilities

this 2 of the BFM THTLP's in a 10ish x 10 ish <900 ft^3 mancave
by design they get very solidly to that 22, with some applied TLC.
the "room gain factor" needn't apply here

But I've heard kevin's 3 martys ( we built 2 more about 3 years ago)

and designer and resident gure @LTD02 - bats 1,000%

i've built his Submaximus V2, V3 and the LOwarhorn.
and a custom dual 18" MBM

you can find "some" pics at [email protected][/email]

LEAVE WHILE YOU CAN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 sub tweak sweeps.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2543284   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 1 1 13 jpeg to post.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2543286  
fill35U, michael hurd and LTD02 like this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP

Last edited by asarose247; 03-23-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: FFE
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
...and down the rabbit hole he went (as did the rest of us!). As jujuman said, get out now while you still can...
Too late.
[see sig]
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #11 of 13 Old 03-25-2019, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 145
@miketofani ...

It was not a mistake that you stumbled upon this forum.

[Darth Vader voice] It is your destiny. [/Darth Vader voice]

Welcome aboard. Be prepared to have serious discussion with your s/o about how you can make a gigantic box look like a piece of furniture that will integrate nicely with your room's design.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Lots of those:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coff...w=1286&bih=856
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #13 of 13 Old 03-25-2019, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 450
With that budget you could get into B&C 21DS115s. There are a few ported designs out their for them and a 6th order design. They dig deep and can hit hard in the mid bass.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-solution.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...id-design.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...4-drivers.html

I currently have one in a ported box and I love it. It digs deep and hits precisely anywhere in the sub woofer range. The response is smooth and you cannot localize its position in the room (except when it really gets moving it will rattle the wall behind it). You might be thinking an 18Hz tune is high, but that does not stop the deep bass. One forum member built two Stormbreakers and was worried about getting enough low extension. He popped in a bass heavy flick and thought, I do not remember seeing the shaking effective in the theater. It turns out the subs were moving the projector and that was creating the shaking effect. He had to put a steeper high pass filter to cull the lows on the 21"s. If you have the means to get 21DS115s I would go that route.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page