Affordable ported sub flat-pack in Canada? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 3064
Affordable ported sub flat-pack in Canada?

So, I have a pair of UXL-18s in sealed cabs and I'm curious to try them out in ported ones. But I also don't want to spend a tremendous amount of money on what could end up being a throw-away experiment.

I contacted GSG to see how much it would cost for a pair of MartyCube flat-packs shipped to me and after shipping, duties, exchange and taxes I'd be looking at something north of ~$1,200 CAD (possibly closer to ~$1,400). No slight to GSG (very helpful CS) or their products (which appear to be the bomb) but that's more than I'd like to spend.

I've done a bunch of googling for a Canadian-based company that makes HT sub enclosures and so far I've come up empty. Does anyone know if there's anyone in Canada making something similar to MartyCubes (CNC-cut, easy-to-assemble ported enclosures tuned to ~20Hz) for under $500 CAD, shipped, per box? (Is that dollar figure even a reasonable expectation?)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
If you have the tools to build your own you would be way under $500 and I have a friend that could design the box for you and give you the cut list. He is one of the nicest guys and willing to help out for sure.

His name on here is @eng-399

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 and eng-399 like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-approves.html
[url]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3079578-italian-job-sub-build-6-21s.html[/urlhttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3002568-qsc-sc-2150-oem-lcr-build.html
post #3 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the tip! I don't have power tools (other than a drill) but I suppose I could rent whatever I need. I'll drop eng-399 a PM some time this weekend to see if / what he might be able to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Thanks very much for the tip! I don't have power tools (other than a drill) but I suppose I could rent whatever I need. I'll drop eng-399 a PM some time this weekend to see if / what he might be able to offer.
Amy cabinet shop could cut the MDF for you. Actually it's about the easiest quickest part of the built. The implication is that it won't cost that much money to have someone cut those up for you. Then all you need is a hand drill and some clamps,c which you should be able to round up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #5 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Not having to use a power saw would make me (and my wife, who worries about me) very happy. I seem to get clumsy around power tools and while I haven't lost any digits yet I would really like to keep it that way.
post #6 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Not having to use a power saw would make me (and my wife, who worries about me) very happy. I seem to get clumsy around power tools and while I haven't lost any digits yet I would really like to keep it that way.
Yeah, ain't nobody want to join the midget digit club!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
So, I have a pair of UXL-18s in sealed cabs and I'm curious to try them out in ported ones.

Please make sure to post your results if you go through with this project! I also have a pair of sealed UXLs and have wondered about switching to ported. I think for me it will all depend how much space I have when I get the theatre built. If I have room to expand and port the boxes I will probably give it a try.
Mahuzz13 likes this.

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #8 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So, I have a pair of UXL-18s in sealed cabs and I'm curious to try them out in ported ones. But I also don't want to spend a tremendous amount of money on what could end up being a throw-away experiment.

I contacted GSG to see how much it would cost for a pair of MartyCube flat-packs shipped to me and after shipping, duties, exchange and taxes I'd be looking at something north of ~$1,200 CAD (possibly closer to ~$1,400). No slight to GSG (very helpful CS) or their products (which appear to be the bomb) but that's more than I'd like to spend.

I've done a bunch of googling for a Canadian-based company that makes HT sub enclosures and so far I've come up empty. Does anyone know if there's anyone in Canada making something similar to MartyCubes (CNC-cut, easy-to-assemble ported enclosures tuned to ~20Hz) for under $500 CAD, shipped, per box? (Is that dollar figure even a reasonable expectation?)

Thanks.

Per your signature you are located in Ottawa, what about getting your flat pack shipped to the border to a postal services like kineckpoint and drive forth and back?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #9 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley
Please make sure to post your results if you go through with this project! I also have a pair of sealed UXLs and have wondered about switching to ported. ...
If I do go ahead with this, I will definitely post about it...with pics and graphs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouack
Per your signature you are located in Ottawa, what about getting your flat pack shipped to the border to a postal services like kineckpoint and drive forth and back? ...
Vous avez raison, kouack, and it would knock ~$475 CAD off the price for shipping to my house. But I'd still be looking at...
- $238 USD x 2 for the flat-packs; plus
- ~$75 shipping per pack (just picking a # here based on the info on the GSG website) ; plus
- exchange,
...equals a bare miniumum of ~$940 CAD (before any applicable duties and *sigh* 13% HST (tax)).

The possibility of doing it for under $500 CAD, all in, locally is pretty appealing.
post #10 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If I do go ahead with this, I will definitely post about it...with pics and graphs!

Vous avez raison, kouack, and it would knock ~$475 CAD off the price for shipping to my house. But I'd still be looking at...

- $238 USD x 2 for the flat-packs; plus

- ~$75 shipping per pack (just picking a # here based on the info on the GSG website) ; plus

- exchange,

...equals a bare miniumum of ~$940 CAD (before any applicable duties and *sigh* 13% HST (tax)).

The possibility of doing it for under $500 CAD, all in, locally is pretty appealing.

Tient nous au courant cheer.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #11 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouack View Post
Tient nous au courant cheer.
Bien sûr. Bonne fin de semaine!
post #12 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you were closer to Toronto, I'd say we could bang out the cabinets here. A few sheets of MDF or plywood cost a lot less than $500.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Craig S King likes this.

My DIYSG HTM-12 build
post #13 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
If you were closer to Toronto, I'd say we could bang out the cabinets here. A few sheets of MDF or plywood cost a lot less than $500.

And I'd make the drive up just to sit and watch you guys working.
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #14 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley
Funny enough, a buddy of mine in Grimsby has offered to help with assembly, so I actually wouldn't be against driving down to get it done...as long as:
- the cabinets could be assembled in ~1-1/2 days (I have commitments to get back to); and
- I could comfortably load a pair of 'em into the back of my 2018 GTI for the drive home.

OJ Bartley likes this.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 03-29-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #15 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
And I'd make the drive up just to sit and watch you guys working.
Please bring pizza.
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #16 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Same here I could do that as well, my son is going to Ottawa in 2-3 weeks and if all the cut pieces could fit in his car I could send it with him

Let me know

Duane

eljaycanuck and OJ Bartley like this.

[url]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3079578-italian-job-sub-build-6-21s.html[/urlhttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3002568-qsc-sc-2150-oem-lcr-build.html
post #17 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Much appreciated. I pm'd eng earlier today. Hopefully he'll reply some time this weekend.
post #18 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Ya he works nights, I’ll send him a quick message to him for ya.

If he can get this figured out fairly quickly I should be able to bang off the cut list for ya (wife will hate me, she wants our basement finished sooner than later) oh well lol

post #19 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post

If he can get this figured out fairly quickly I should be able to bang off the cut list for ya (wife will hate me, she wants our basement finished sooner than later) oh well lol
Again, much appreciated...although you should know better ("happy wife, happy life").
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #20 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post

Duane, let me know if you're going to give this a go, and I might be able to head up and give you a hand.

Mahuzz13 likes this.

My DIYSG HTM-12 build
post #21 of 50 Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked: 5152
I'm late to the party lol I just got the message I've been busy trying to get the title of my new/used car in my name and cleaning the garage. So the space you have to work with is

w-25''

height-27''

depth-??? 30''?
that would be 9.88 cubic ft before subtracting the driver and slot port ect act.

a depth of 36'' would have you at 11.96 cubic ft. Bigger the better you have a really nice driver that has 34mm of xmax and a rms rating of 1,200. So these will move with the right amp and box. I would suggest the biggest box you feel comfortable with and a tune of at least 17hz. Let me know what depth I can work with and I'll get a box drawn up and modeled for you. Once I find out the depth I'll get started should take a day or two. Btw the car was a 2002 Pontiac trans am I bought low miles and a lot of engine work done to it
post #22 of 50 Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399
I'm late to the party lol I just got the message ...
Hey, eng-399. Thanks very much for the PM replies and for chiming in here.

Quote:
... I would suggest the biggest box you feel comfortable with and a tune of at least 17hz. Let me know what depth I can work with and I'll get a box drawn up and modeled for you. Once I find out the depth I'll get started should take a day or two. ...
The subs will go between my LCR (those spots measure well from the MLP). I re-measured the spaces and without raising the screen I've got:
- 26" height
- 25" width
- 32" depth (preferred, but I can do 36" if you think 32" might compromise performance too much).

Extension to ~15Hz (+/-3dB) would be great.

No rush on this as I expect to do the work in the garage and up here in Ottawa it's not nearly warm enough yet for that.

Quote:
... Btw the car was a 2002 Pontiac trans am I bought low miles and a lot of engine work done to it
Congrats again on it. It looks like beast!
post #23 of 50 Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, eng-399. Thanks very much for the PM replies and for chiming in here.

The subs will go between my LCR (those spots measure well from the MLP). I re-measured the spaces and without raising the screen I've got:

- 26" height

- 25" width

- 32" depth (preferred, but I can do 36" if you think 32" might compromise performance too much).

Extension to ~15Hz (+/-3dB) would be great.

No rush on this as I expect to do the work in the garage and up here in Ottawa it's not nearly warm enough yet for that.

Congrats again on it. It looks like beast!

That should work let me see what I can come up with. I’ll post everything here.

One more thing is slot ported ok or do want round ports. Slot porting it would be cheaper.
post #24 of 50 Old 03-31-2019, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve modeled this driver and with the size of box you posted and wanting it ported the best I can come up with is a tune of 17hz. Having a box tuned lower the port length gets crazy long at 61” inches long which takes up a lot of cubic ft inside your box. Having a box 10 cubic ft and a tune of 17hz still makes the port length 47 inches long and a height of 3 inches. The first port resonance looks good at 144.87 hz and the air port velocity peaks at 21.3 m/s.

That being said something has to give in the size which would mean your depth would have to increase with this tune. A slot port takes up like around 1.93 cubic ft so the depth would have to be your max size of 36” for this to work. That’s with out subtracting the driver and bracing.

The box would work but it would be your max size. Let me know if you want that so I can start a panel size list for it.
eljaycanuck, sigpig and OJ Bartley like this.
post #25 of 50 Old 03-31-2019, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, eng. Slot port is good, so is ~17Hz tune. As long as max dimension of 26" (h) x 25" (w) x 36" (d) are respected, I'm definitely interested in moving forward with this. Thanks!
sigpig and eng-399 like this.
post #26 of 50 Old 03-31-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Affordable ported sub flat-pack in Canada?

Cut sheet for the mach5audio 18” driver
Box size
26” high
25” wide
36” depth

17.5 hz tune
air port velocity 19.6 m/s at peak
First port resonance 140.45hz
3- port rails inside the slot port
Port length 48” long
Port height 2.75”
Bracing either window or stick up to the builder

If you could go one inch more in any direction it would be huge because of how much space the port takes up inside the box but with the dimensions posted above here’s the plan.

2 subs total

Any questions call, text, or pm

Mike
Box will be put together like this picture but with three port rails

Last edited by eng-399; 04-01-2019 at 09:24 PM.
post #27 of 50 Old 04-01-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks very much!

Quote:
… If you could go one inch more in any direction it would be huge because of how much space the port takes up inside the box but with the dimensions posted above here’s the plan. …
If a 17.5Hz tune will allow for strong output to ~15 or 16Hz, I'm good with that but, just the same, I'll have another look at the available spaces and see if I can comfortably squeeze out another inch or two.

Quote:
… Any questions call, text, or pm …
Will do, thanks. And I'm happy to PayPal or eTransfer you some beer money for your troubles. PM/e-mail me the required info. if you're interested.

Thanks again!
post #28 of 50 Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks very much!

If a 17.5Hz tune will allow for strong output to ~15 or 16Hz, I'm good with that but, just the same, I'll have another look at the available spaces and see if I can comfortably squeeze out another inch or two.

Will do, thanks. And I'm happy to PayPal or eTransfer you some beer money for your troubles. PM/e-mail me the required info. if you're interested.

Thanks again!

No worries about PayPal I like to pay it forward Ltd02 and mtg90 have spent hours with me in the past teaching me winisd and box building years ago so I don’t mind mind helping other people out.

If you can squeeze anymore room the tune can go lower the problem is the net internal cubic ft once everything is in there it takes away a lot of room inside that box. I can make changes and come up with a different cut sheet if you have more room it doesn’t take long to do. Happy to help out
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #29 of 50 Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your time. I do appreciate it.

I don't know that I want a bigger box / need a deeper tune, but I'll definitely have a look at the space and get back to you if I think bigger is do-able.
post #30 of 50 Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for your time. I do appreciate it.

I don't know that I want a bigger box / need a deeper tune, but I'll definitely have a look at the space and get back to you if I think bigger is do-able.

I understand about the wanting a lower tune I get it. That driver modeled in winisd wants a big box. Take the slot port inside box and times the height plus.75 wood thickness then the width then length then divide by 1728 that equals a little over 2 cubic ft. Take that from the internal cubic ft then there’s bracing and the driver.
A lower tune with the same size box ends up having a port around 60+ inches long which now takes up more room. When figuring all this out your first port resonance has to be still 130hz or higher and your air port velocity should be under 22 ms. It’s hard balance...
I can see what round ports would work but they would have to be 6” ports in there or else your air port velocity gets really high. Let me take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page