4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other.. - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #91 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Best of luck on that Jared! I remember those days, terrifying...

Thanks brother. They do grow up so fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4264 Post(s)
Liked: 2997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
All I have to do is make it through my kids road test, if we survive his 3rd attempt, I’ll be giddy and ready to take it all in tonight.
If not, there's always beer.
post #93 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Quote:
Oh, and in case anyone missed it, Erich announced the 893 kits will be returning

I cried tears of joy when I saw that..... but I’m also curious about those coaxial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other..

Had a blast mike. More to come
Mike,
Man, your theater is clearly the result of a lot of hard work with acoustics! The surround envelopment was incredible. The best I’ve ever heard. We were talking amongst ourselves that all we heard were well placed sounds, not speakers. Wow. That’s one thing my theater is missing. The sound is just smeared all over compared to your refined room. Gives me something to shoot for. Also we talked that with all that bass, there was no rattles or squeaks anywhere. You built a solid room. The bass also was clean and simply everywhere! Well done. I can’t wait to hear and see the room after all your upgrades.
All the speakers were cool to have around. The htm12’s sounded awesome in there, and Brian’s speakers in the 2 channel room were great. Thanks for having this, it was a blast.
Jared

Last edited by Jk7.2; 04-13-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #95 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Terrific time Mike, thanks again! You have wonderful setups.

Hope to make it to more of these, was great to meet everyone, and a real eye-opener for me. So many avenues for improving my setup.

ETA: Oh, BTW, your Paradigms may not be hooked up...
mtbdudex and Jk7.2 like this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #96 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
I’ll post a few pictures, truly glad this event turned out geeky fun.

post #97 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great event Mike, Your theater is very impressive, Best sounding room I’ve every been in by far. Really impressed with all the clever details, and acoustic treatments. Thank you again!
smcmillan2 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #98 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 3917
Looking forward to hearing everyones impressions of the various speakers.
post #99 of 130 Old 04-13-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Pic of all the speakers on pool table is great. Gives a good idea of size.

This might be the largest collection of diysg kits in one place.
asarose247 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #100 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Great time Saturday! Huge thank you to the host Mike for opening up his house and letting a bunch of crazy audio guys come over for Show and Tell.

Mike’s theater gorgeous and gave me many ideas for my future new build. The pictures I’ve enjoyed of it over the years do not do it justice. My experiences with the various HT GTGs I’ve attended across the Midwest over the years have shown me that each space is unique. Each theater had something I have taken away from it that makes me say “Wow”. Mike’s theater – it was the immersive surround experience. Sure, he has tons of speakers located at specific locations around the room, but through the several ATMOS disk features, I was simply unable to locate them. I was more immersed with the presentation, more concerned with the dragonfly flying over my shoulders and to the rear of the room. In short, Mike’s theater set the bar for the surround experience. Made me realize in Yoda speak “much to learn I still have” with respect to how I tackle surround next time.

It was great seeing some old friends and making new ones, especially now that I have returned to my home state. Great knowing SE Michigan has the same audio sickness so many of my Chicagoland friends have. And there is no cure by the way…

HT-8 vs HTM-8 Shootout – my favorite test
Mike set up the bedroom, complete with absorption at reflection points for some 2-channel listening. Thanks to Rich for grabbing me upstairs to witness this one in particular, this was the highlight for me.

Long story short- the HT-8s win the “Best Value” award. Erich and Matt have really outdone themselves with these. It was close to impossible to hear the differences between the HT-8 and HTM-8. Perhaps female vocals were a tiny bit smoother on the HTM, but it was incredibly close.

Put another way – if the HT-8s would have been available some 5 years ago when I first became Alice and ventured down the rabbit hole, I may have stopped with them. They are that good; and I think Rich will be very happy with a triplet of these for his mains.

Volt-6s vs. HT-8s
Yeah… no contest. I had Volt 6s as my surrounds in my old theater and was always impressed with them. And they are a great sounding speaker! But 2 seconds of listening to the HT-8s right afterward had me giggling and realizing the HT-8s will unquestionably become my surrounds in the new theater.

HTM-10 vs. HTM-12
Bias to the 12s as they are mine. However the 10s were 95% as a good as the 12s; the tiny decrease in efficiency notwithstanding. I think you really have to have a trained ear to hear the size difference in the waveguides as well. Scott’s veneer finish on the 10s was fantastic as well.

Helix Dome HTs
All you guys that went to AXPONA yesterday? Yeah, the Helix Domes could have been playing blindly in one of the hotel rooms with $5,000 bookshelves next to them, and you would not have discerned any difference. Great speakers.

Upstairs Family Room – 893s vs. Cinema/Fusion 8s (? – Mike’s main upstairs setup)
The Cinema 8s held court with higher efficiency and perhaps a tiny bit more bass response (ported vs. the sealed 893s). However, the 893s showed their true colors and reminded me of my Minneapolis tour last April where I heard these marvelous speakers. Now I know they will perform in a large, airy room as well as a smaller basement setup and shine either way. Yes, both speakers are designed to be used with a sub – and they make it easy to do so when crossed at 60 or 80Hz. Mike’s single 12 did a wonderful job of integrating with both speakers. However those guys wanting mains that will keep up with four 18s – both the Cinema 8s and 893s are fully capable of doing so. Even off receiver power, they both performed fantastically.
imrf, MKIII, MKtheater and 18 others like this.
post #101 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Thanks for that @JCJetta

Lots of good information.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #102 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another thing that I loved about Mike, when we were in his living room, or even his home theater for demos, he handed over the remotes and volunteered to change any settings we wanted to change. Truly an awesome guy. I’m sure he spent the better part of today fixing everything and putting back his settings. Lol. I thought about that and wondered if I could do the same. I feel like I get hung up on not wanting to change ANYTHING when I get it just right. Cool guy.
Thanks again Mike!
imrf, Vital, gworrel and 5 others like this.
post #103 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 3917
Any of the other attendees have any of their impressions of the various speakers to share?

Those HTM-12's really seem to dwarf the other speakers in size...they even make the HTM-10's look small.

Were the HTM-8's compared to any of the other speakers such as Fusion 8, 893's, or bigger HTM's?
Mike Butny likes this.
post #104 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Any of the other attendees have any of their impressions of the various speakers to share?

Those HTM-12's really seem to dwarf the other speakers in size...they even make the HTM-10's look small.

Were the HTM-8's compared to any of the other speakers such as Fusion 8, 893's, or bigger HTM's?

As the host I’m purposely not posting my options, rather others should chime in.

I’ve got a shopping cart with 3 HTM-12’s in it the components and xover board, waiting for flatpacks to come back in stock then I’ll place my order.

The HTM-8 vs fusion8 vs HT-8 vs volt-6 were compared in the 2-ch room ...

Hey gang - what store were these bought from? The intrigue me.

brian6751, smcmillan2 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #105 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Here’s a little maybe over simplification of the whole compare this to that thing. Stick to the golden rule. Buy the biggest speakers you can fit/afford. If you need home theater monitors, get the htm-x you want. Surrounds can be ht-x, whatever you can fit. I’d personally use htm’s for mains and center, ht’s for surrounds. If you like the idea of 3 ways, those are available too. You really do get a better speaker if you pay a little more, giving you use it for something close to what it was designed for. We get caught up I think in the comparison thing, because we are always looking for who is fair priced compared to other retailers for what you get. That’s the thing with diysg speakers. We all know they are priced right, so the comparison game we all play isn’t as necessary.
We had the discussion, why do we reach so far with speaker kits? Getting bigger and bigger kits, when all along it sounded better then anything we could ever get/afford retail? Some of us it’s because we just want to. Like me. Others, I don’t know. I’m thinking any of these speakers will do the job, and very well, if we can stop thinking ‘what if’ all the time.
Oh no, please don’t take any of what I said wrong. This is just my 2 cents after the gtg. All these speakers are great.
post #106 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
he handed over the remotes and volunteered to change any settings we wanted to change.
This would have had had me soiling myself, lol. I hate it when someone so much as touches the volume on my system ... sounds like a great event, looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

@mtbdudex , would you mind sharing your evaluation of your HTM-8’s with the resistor engaged vs not engaged?
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #107 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Hey gang - what store were these bought from? The intrigue me.

I bought that from the party store in Cherry Hill Village right by my house. Its really good!
Jk7.2 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #108 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 88
So, I’ve always heard volts are the go-to for surrounds. Now it sounds like HT’s are a serious contender in this space. Was that the consensus?

Seems hard to translate a 2-channel room to surround duties

HT-8’s vs volt 8’s have peaked my interest for a very similar price tag...
brian6751 and Jk7.2 like this.

TV: Panasonic 60" VT60 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 5.1.2 Definitive Technology BP7006 (front), DefTech studio 350's (rear), Def Tech Di6.5r (ceiling) Players: Raspberry Pi running OpenElec/Kodi, Roku, Sony Blu-ray Control: Control4, whole house automation
post #109 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin4730 View Post
So, I’ve always heard volts are the go-to for surrounds. Now it sounds like HT’s are a serious contender in this space. Was that the consensus?

It all depends on the space you have. The volts still do a fantastic job for surround duty. We compared volt 6s to HT-8s, the volts has no chance. Now if we did Bolt 8s in the ported pack, things could be different.

smcmillan2, Jk7.2 and Kevin4730 like this.
post #110 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin4730 View Post

Not hard to translate at all. The better sounding speaker for 2 channel will sound better as a surround

It really comes down to what you need.

If you need broad off axis performance from multiple angles as in atmos or a side surround thats very close to the seating, the volts may be the better choice.

If you can benefit from the better directivity of the horn and sound quality is very important, go for the HT's.

If the HT's will work in your situation, I dont see a reason to choose a similarly priced Volt.
MKIII, smcmillan2, Jk7.2 and 1 others like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #111 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Not hard to translate at all. The better sounding speaker for 2 channel will sound better as a surround

It really comes down to what you need.

If you need broad off axis performance from multiple angles as in atmos or a side surround thats very close to the seating, the volts may be the better choice.

If you can benefit from the better directivity of the horn and sound quality is very important, go for the HT's.

If the HT's will work in your situation, I dont see a reason to choose a similarly priced Volt.

Summed up nicely, thanks Brian! I think I’m back to leaning toward HT’s for surrounds and volts for atmos.

brian6751, JCJetta and Jk7.2 like this.

TV: Panasonic 60" VT60 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 5.1.2 Definitive Technology BP7006 (front), DefTech studio 350's (rear), Def Tech Di6.5r (ceiling) Players: Raspberry Pi running OpenElec/Kodi, Roku, Sony Blu-ray Control: Control4, whole house automation
post #112 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Great time Saturday! Huge thank you to the host Mike for opening up his house and letting a bunch of crazy audio guys come over for Show and Tell.

Mike’s theater gorgeous and gave me many ideas for my future new build. The pictures I’ve enjoyed of it over the years do not do it justice. My experiences with the various HT GTGs I’ve attended across the Midwest over the years have shown me that each space is unique. Each theater had something I have taken away from it that makes me say “Wow”. Mike’s theater – it was the immersive surround experience. Sure, he has tons of speakers located at specific locations around the room, but through the several ATMOS disk features, I was simply unable to locate them. I was more immersed with the presentation, more concerned with the dragonfly flying over my shoulders and to the rear of the room. In short, Mike’s theater set the bar for the surround experience. Made me realize in Yoda speak “much to learn I still have” with respect to how I tackle surround next time.

It was great seeing some old friends and making new ones, especially now that I have returned to my home state. Great knowing SE Michigan has the same audio sickness so many of my Chicagoland friends have. And there is no cure by the way…

HT-8 vs HTM-8 Shootout – my favorite test

Mike set up the bedroom, complete with absorption at reflection points for some 2-channel listening. Thanks to Rich for grabbing me upstairs to witness this one in particular, this was the highlight for me.

Long story short- the HT-8s win the “Best Value” award. Erich and Matt have really outdone themselves with these. It was close to impossible to hear the differences between the HT-8 and HTM-8. Perhaps female vocals were a tiny bit smoother on the HTM, but it was incredibly close.

Put another way – if the HT-8s would have been available some 5 years ago when I first became Alice and ventured down the rabbit hole, I may have stopped with them. They are that good; and I think Rich will be very happy with a triplet of these for his mains.

Volt-6s vs. HT-8s

Yeah… no contest. I had Volt 6s as my surrounds in my old theater and was always impressed with them. And they are a great sounding speaker! But 2 seconds of listening to the HT-8s right afterward had me giggling and realizing the HT-8s will unquestionably become my surrounds in the new theater.

HTM-10 vs. HTM-12

Bias to the 12s as they are mine. However the 10s were 95% as a good as the 12s; the tiny decrease in efficiency notwithstanding. I think you really have to have a trained ear to hear the size difference in the waveguides as well. Scott’s veneer finish on the 10s was fantastic as well.

Helix Dome HTs

All you guys that went to AXPONA yesterday? Yeah, the Helix Domes could have been playing blindly in one of the hotel rooms with $5,000 bookshelves next to them, and you would not have discerned any difference. Great speakers.

Upstairs Family Room – 893s vs. Cinema/Fusion 8s (? – Mike’s main upstairs setup)

The Cinema 8s held court with higher efficiency and perhaps a tiny bit more bass response (ported vs. the sealed 893s). However, the 893s showed their true colors and reminded me of my Minneapolis tour last April where I heard these marvelous speakers. Now I know they will perform in a large, airy room as well as a smaller basement setup and shine either way. Yes, both speakers are designed to be used with a sub – and they make it easy to do so when crossed at 60 or 80Hz. Mike’s single 12 did a wonderful job of integrating with both speakers. However those guys wanting mains that will keep up with four 18s – both the Cinema 8s and 893s are fully capable of doing so. Even off receiver power, they both performed fantastically.
That's what I was wanting to hear! I was surmising anything less than the (2) 8s would not likely keep up and the only open question was would they or wouldn't they -- glad to hear they would!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by kennyandersen; 04-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #113 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
I bought that from the party store in Cherry Hill Village right by my house. Its really good!
If you like gose. Just saying it's not something for everyone.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #114 of 130 Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Just a note to say thanks for a fun informative afternoon. I was very impressed with the build quality of the speakers! I'm just in the thinking stage of getting into DIY speakers and glad to get a good exposure. Everyone did a great job with the cabinets, liked seeing the various finishes. Plus, I wanted to experience a true Atmos setup as I'm putting speakers in my ceiling next week and wanted to see if the effort was worth it -- it is!

Glad to know there is a friendly well versed group available to answer any questions I might have going forward. Not sure when, but now I have the DIY bug for speakers --thanks -- I think.....( like I really need another hobby...)
18Hurts likes this.
post #115 of 130 Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 190
@mtbdudex Thank you so much for hosting this event. He was a great host accommodating everything we asked for. From completely re-arranging his bedroom for the 2 channel listening to having plenty of extra chairs available so no one had to stand and also letting us change any setting we wanted to. We made quite a few changes to his living room setup while comparing the Fusion 8's to the 893's.

I'm really sorry I had to leave early as I missed the 2 channel shootout. Perhaps next time I can bring my volt 10s to add to the mix. Would be curious to hear them compared the the HT and HTM 8's. I did get to hear the comparison of the Fusion 8's to the 893's though. @Jk7.2 did a fantastic job finishing them. Both speakers were close but I think the 893's sounded better. I thought they had a more pleasing mid-range. I have the older fusion 8 as a center channel so I am familiar with them and thought the 893 did a better job in the mid-range.

The theater room was amazing. Great, clean bass response with no rattle whatsoever. And as others have said, the surround field in your theater was amazingly seamless. Definitely the best I have heard to date. The decorations were great too! Lot of Star Wars photos and legos everywhere as well as examples of Mike's own photography displayed on his acoustic panels.

Thanks again for hosting and giving back to the community. Hopefully I'll be able to attend the next one and stay a little longer.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #116 of 130 Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Great time Saturday! [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]

Helix Dome HTs
Sounds like all had a very good time! Thanks for your comments on the Helix Domes. If anyone else has some impressions on those please post. I have Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Plus speakers and they are fantastic but no longer available as Dennis Murphy had some health issues and needed to close up shop. I was hoping to get a few more for surrounds and center but now looking for something with similar bass output which these Helix's seem to deliver. The AA+ speakers have that very expensive Morel MDT32S tweeter and hoping the SB Acoustics SB29SDAC tweeter in the Helix is as good.

Thanks!
post #117 of 130 Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other..

Names to faces... when I coached boys soccer I’d do same, helps me.
Hopefully got all names correct.
Btw JC I believe that disassembled banana is yours , I’ll save it for next time I see you
Names to usernames

Names to faces

I did not take and people shots in the HT or family room or 2-ch room, if you’ve got a few post them.

post #118 of 130 Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Did ya'll compare the HT-8 or HTM-8 to the larger HTM-10/12?

Any comments on the HTM-6 vs any of the larger 8/10/12's?
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #119 of 130 Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Sounds like it was a great event, guys. And I'm really glad to hear the HTM-12 did so well.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #120 of 130 Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4264 Post(s)
Liked: 2997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
1 week countdown!
Looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones in person.

Today’s task, before 8:30pm MSU game, get these acoustic panels up.
Wrapping 101, speaker grille cloth and pins on backside
Do you have a local metro area source for the compressed fiberglass? I've got plans to build a number of acoustic panels and wondered where you got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page