4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other.. - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

post #121 of 142 Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Do you have a local metro area source for the compressed fiberglass? I've got plans to build a number of acoustic panels and wondered where you got it.

At one time, early 2011, Home Depot pro desk was able to place order for me, however I ended up getting from ATS acoustics 6 at a time.
This was pro desk own writing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m humbled by the many positive comments here, thx all.

Acoustic art covers, some asked about that.
This thread covers it all, I’ve posted in it a few times
In reality you need a decent camera and basic photo editing software, and then have to plan your layout and size correctly.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...els-cheap.html

Surround sound / Atmos sound immersiveness
I’d say that using gated ETC charts help guide my panel side wall and back wall placement, plus for the broadband bass traps I strictly covered them with membrane, I used kraft paper, to reflect back the mids/highs .

Even my acoustic ceiling clouds I partially covered them with Kraft paper on the ends, the front different than the rear, based on ETC data.

I’ve been in much “deader” rooms, somewhere I measured my room decay time in 1/3 octave plot .... can’t find it just now.
Simple key is don’t overabsorb, don’t bandpass absorb either.
This helps

Jared, you are right it’s time for my HT 2.0 build thread..
I’ll start it over Easter .

plasma_fan and Jk7.2 like this.
post #123 of 142 Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 2897
Mike will the fact that you’re swapping out all or most of your speakers and adding subs mean that you’ll have to redo some room acoustic treatments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 142 Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Mike will the fact that you’re swapping out all or most of your speakers and adding subs mean that you’ll have to redo some room acoustic treatments?

Jared, Yes, speakers moving more forward and into baffle wall, controlled dispersion via SEOS vs dome tweeters, AT screen vs solid screen, and updated acoustic approach via BAD style treatments, etc.

The deep rabbit acoustic hole

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #125 of 142 Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for re-posting your theater treatment build photos. Some people are seeing it all for the first time. Your theater is a fantastic example of ingenuity and DIY effort.

As soon as I walked into the room and you closed the door, I could tell we were going to be in for something special. There was a slightly hushed ambience to the space, but without a sense of containment. It was just hard to tell exactly how big a space we were in based on the sound of the voices of the guys in the room. When you fired up the atoms leaf demo, the 3D illusion was complete, and enveloping a huge sense of spaciousness without boundary walls.
post #126 of 142 Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks again for the GTG Mike! The surround sound effects in your theater room were awesome!
It was nice to see so many designs in one place. I think I heard them all except the HTM-10 and Fusion-8 MT. They are all impressive. I was amazed that the HTM-6s held their own with sub assistance in Mike's open living room!
Lastly nice meeting or seeing everyone again!
post #127 of 142 Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I’m humbled by the many positive comments here, thx all.

Acoustic art covers, some asked about that.
This thread covers it all, I’ve posted in it a few times
In reality you need a decent camera and basic photo editing software, and then have to plan your layout and size correctly.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...els-cheap.html

Surround sound / Atmos sound immersiveness
I’d say that using gated ETC charts help guide my panel side wall and back wall placement, plus for the broadband bass traps I strictly covered them with membrane, I used kraft paper, to reflect back the mids/highs .

Even my acoustic ceiling clouds I partially covered them with Kraft paper on the ends, the front different than the rear, based on ETC data.

I’ve been in much “deader” rooms, somewhere I measured my room decay time in 1/3 octave plot .... can’t find it just now.
Simple key is don’t overabsorb, don’t bandpass absorb either.
This helps

Jared, you are right it’s time for my HT 2.0 build thread..
I’ll start it over Easter .

Very curious about the "dont bandpass absorb" comment. On my short list for projects is some sort of tuned bass trap. I have a significant issue centered around 55hz that I feel needs to be preferentially dealt with.

I already have some broadband absorption on the side wall and diffusion on the back wall in the room, about the limit of what I can get away with. Overall I am happy with the rooms sound and fully treating the room isn't in the cards but I'm fairly sure I can sneak in some tuned traps on the back wall. Given all the compliments your room has gotten, and the clear amount of time/effort put in I would be interested on your take.
post #128 of 142 Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other..

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
Very curious about the "dont bandpass absorb" comment. On my short list for projects is some sort of tuned bass trap. I have a significant issue centered around 55hz that I feel needs to be preferentially dealt with.

I already have some broadband absorption on the side wall and diffusion on the back wall in the room, about the limit of what I can get away with. Overall I am happy with the rooms sound and fully treating the room isn't in the cards but I'm fairly sure I can sneak in some tuned traps on the back wall. Given all the compliments your room has gotten, and the clear amount of time/effort put in I would be interested on your take.
Sorry late response I missed this.

...don’t bandpass absorb .. That was regards to using pure absorption on sidewalls... if your going that route proper way is not thin 1” stuff flat to wall, rather at least 2” + 2” air gap.

There’s a great thread on gearslutz on building a tuned helmholtz bass trap, perfect for your 55hz issue, I’ll find link and post it .

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...made-easy.html

plasma_fan likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 05-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #129 of 142 Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
Did ya'll compare the HT-8 or HTM-8 to the larger HTM-10/12?

Any comments on the HTM-6 vs any of the larger 8/10/12's?

Can any of the attendees answer this? Would love to get a little more feedback from the group.

Thanks
post #130 of 142 Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry late response I missed this.

...don’t bandpass absorb .. That was regards to using pure absorption on sidewalls... if your going that route proper way is not thin 1” stuff flat to wall, rather at least 2” + 2” air gap.

There’s a great thread on gearslutz on building a tuned helmholtz bass trap, perfect for your 55hz issue, I’ll find link and post it .

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...made-easy.html

Thanks for the link thats great.

I have 4.5" thick with no gap on my side walls. The material I was used was 1.5", and my choices were 3" with a gap or 4.5" with no gap, the information I found when I built these seemed to suggest that while a gap is really good thicker and no gap is slightly better. I like your use of the craft paper on your absorbers, was considering pinning some up on mine to try. I have also considered binary diffusion panels as well.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #131 of 142 Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I have 4.5" thick with no gap on my side walls. The material I was used was 1.5", and my choices were 3" with a gap or 4.5" with no gap, the information I found when I built these seemed to suggest that while a gap is really good thicker and no gap is slightly better. I like your use of the craft paper on your absorbers, was considering pinning some up on mine to try. I have also considered binary diffusion panels as well.
This is a day late and a dollar short but for 2 channel semi-nearfield listening not home theater...apples to oranges right? HT-8 or Helix Domes?
post #132 of 142 Old 09-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 693
2 channel music? Helix Domes. Want more dynamics and movie dialogue clarity? Go HTs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
imrf likes this.
post #133 of 142 Old 09-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
2 channel music? Helix Domes. Want more dynamics and movie dialogue clarity? Go HTs.

I agree. I went with HT10s for my LCR and HT8s for the tears and they sound fantastic. I do listen to music on them as well and they do the job as well. But if it’s a dedicated 2 channel, helix is where it’s at!

post #134 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post

Definitely for two channel. I've built econowaves...maybe 7 years ago and they were great for music thus my question about whether or not the HT's/HTM's sounded subjectively better for music due to their dynamics and clarity versus a more conventional MT based two way. I guess I have my answer. Next questoion...bagby has a lot of other designs at the same price point i.e. Piccolo, Docere, etc. etc. Has anyone heard the Helix Dome versus any of his other designs within the same sub 500 dollar price point to determine what the preferred model is?
post #135 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
If you aren't using a subwoofer, you can pretty much rule out all of the speakers listed in the home theater category.

post #136 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
If you aren't using a subwoofer, you can pretty much rule out all of the speakers listed in the home theater category.
I'm using a sub in my office, M&K 70B that I have hooked up to a rolls box for high and low pass. So I'm good for anything that sounds great flat to 100hz
post #137 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpahos View Post
I'm using a sub in my office, M&K 70B that I have hooked up to a rolls box for high and low pass. So I'm good for anything that sounds great flat to 100hz
Funny I just realized Eric that you are the proprietor of DIY soundgroup...and I just sent an inquiry to DIY soundgroup that is likely heading your way in parallel HAHAHAHAH!
mtbdudex likes this.
post #138 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Come winter I'll be upgrading my side wall panels to combo absorbers/diffuers, hopefully kinetics will sell me their binary drilled laminate sheets so I can integrate them into my side panels with little extra effort.
https://kineticsnoise.com/downloads/data-sheets/tad.pdf
plasma_fan likes this.
post #139 of 142 Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Come winter I'll be upgrading my side wall panels to combo absorbers/diffuers, hopefully kinetics will sell me their binary drilled laminate sheets so I can integrate them into my side panels with little extra effort.
https://kineticsnoise.com/downloads/data-sheets/tad.pdf
I ended up making a couple of BAD panels, 24 x 60" using a pattern I found on gearslutz. Did it in the garage with a drill press and hand drill, my drill press only has about a 9" reach, leaving about 1/3 of the holes to do by hand... if I ever do more of these they will be bought, far to tedious to do by hand. I need to finish them, havent yet decided on stain or paint color.

I tried some butcher paper ontop of the absorber before I put these up and that was great, these stepped it up another level. Loads more energy in the room without any real negative, a bit brighter overall but not harsh. Good luck with getting Kenetic to sell the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAD diffuser - Copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	2620246  
mtbdudex and OJ Bartley like this.
post #140 of 142 Old 09-28-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome job plasma-fan!!

Finally able to take in my HTM-12 front soundstage, trying out various atmos clips. AT screen is thanksgiving project, center behind it mains will flank it .

Talk about high efficiency speakers!

Atmos clips via Xbox 1x

post #141 of 142 Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Awesome job plasma-fan!!

Finally able to take in my HTM-12 front soundstage, trying out various atmos clips. AT screen is thanksgiving project, center behind it mains will flank it .

Talk about high efficiency speakers!

Atmos clips via Xbox 1x

Hey, so how do you like the HTM-12s? I have had mine built forever but the room is still in progress so I haven't been able to give them a proper listen.

What speakers were you coming from? How do they sound different?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #142 of 142 Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4/13 SE Mich gtg ; F8 MTM, F8 TM, HTM-8, HTM-6, 893's, other..

OJ Bartley, I had Paradigm Monitors 9’s and huge center cc-390, they were awesome.

These HTM-12’s are in a different league... truly at high spl blown away is understatement.

For those local Michigan people look here, my screen for s-a-le,
S-ol-d !

That my new AT screen in the box, soon this HTM-12’s will be in proper use

brian6751, Kevin4730 and bubbrik like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 11-22-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page