Vaulted Ceiling Atmos (In Ceiling) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Vaulted Ceiling Atmos (In Ceiling)

Hey Guys,

Newbie here, I've been researching for the last 6 months and haven't found any good solutions for an atmos setup because of my vaulted ceiling (attached). The issue is due to the wife I can only put in (in-ceiling) for atmos, so no upfiring and no pendants. As you can see from the picture, the in-ceiling speaker would not point the speaker directly to the ground. I was thinking about getting the Definitive Technology RSS III. Due to the sheer size of these boxes I could probably only put in two and they may be overkill. Of course I'd prefer a 4 speaker atmos system.

A few questions:
What are my options? Recommendations on speakers?
What location should I put the speakers?

Current setup:
Center: Martin Logan SLM XL
Front L/R: Martin Logan Motion 15
Rear L/R: SR9040 Bipolar (This can be switched out if you have any recommendations)
Atmos?

Thanks a ton!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2547268  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 5106
What’s above the ceiling bedrooms or an attic. You could make make DIYSG volt 8’s or 10’s angled down for it to be like a flat ceiling. All this would have to be recessed into the ceiling.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
What’s above the ceiling bedrooms or an attic. You could make make DIYSG volt 8’s or 10’s angled down for it to be like a flat ceiling. All this would have to be recessed into the ceiling.
It’s an attic. How’s the quality of the diysg? Interesting enough I’ve been look for angled in ceiling speakers but they have mixed reviews. Would an in celliling with an adjustable tweeter work in my case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 5106
A Attic that’s perfect for a application for something custom. You would have to buy one of the kits and make your own box so you could recess it into your ceiling and build a grill that’s white. Check out parts express they have stuff on there website that could give you ideas or just diy it your self. DIYSG sells really nice kits go through this forum you’ll see a ton of builds. If you don’t want to go that route there’s a few good Atmos speakers you could buy just search the web for different companies you’ll find something. This is what I would do with your angled ceiling but with a kit from DIYSG.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
A Attic that’s perfect for a application for something custom. You would have to buy one of the kits and make your own box so you could recess it into your ceiling and build a grill that’s white. Check out parts express they have stuff on there website that could give you ideas or just diy it your self. DIYSG sells really nice kits go through this forum you’ll see a ton of builds. If you don’t want to go that route there’s a few good Atmos speakers you could buy just search the web for different companies you’ll find something. This is what I would do with your angled ceiling but with a kit from DIYSG.
That looks really similar to the Definitive Technology UIW RCS III I was looking at. The UIW is probably overkill for Atmos and wouldn’t be adjustable to where I may need it pointed. Any suggestion on where I should mount the speakers? I was thinking near the ceiling fan for a 2 speaker Atmos setup.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile7 View Post
Any suggestion on where I should mount the speakers? I was thinking near the ceiling fan for a 2 speaker Atmos setup.

That's a little too far forward. Ideally, they should be around an 80 degree angle to your ears in your MLP. You could go slightly forward of that, but I wouldn't go too far. You want the sound to be "overhead", not overhead and front.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Speaker Placement
post #7 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
That's a little too far forward. Ideally, they should be around an 80 degree angle to your ears in your MLP. You could go slightly forward of that, but I wouldn't go too far. You want the sound to be "overhead", not overhead and front.

Unfortunately my couch is against the wall and the vaulted ceiling would point the speakers away from the listening position. I think either a custom box which eng-399 recommended would work or worst case putting the speakers with tweeters pointed down near the recessed lights?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 1950
Quote:
Unfortunately my couch is against the wall and the vaulted ceiling would point the speakers away from the listening position. I think either a custom box which eng-399 recommended would work or worst case putting the speakers with tweeters pointed down near the recessed lights?

Yep. I meant using the speaker setup you guys were discussing. The sound still originates from the same point in reference to your head/ears. The recessed speakers just allow you to aim the sound at the listening position instead of forward. You still don't want the sound to originate too far forward. Just use the specs that Dolby lists and you will be fine.

Yes, speakers with adjustable tweeters would work from that location.

I know it's a pain with your ceiling, but if there is any way at all to do 4 overheads (front & rear), I HIGHLY suggest it over 2. You could use the recessed idea for your rears and mount front heights up on your front wall (in walls with adjustable tweeters). 4 speakers give a much better effect than 2.

Last edited by zeus33; 04-01-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
^ +1 to 4 speakers. You have room, move your sectional forward into the room, flush mount two rear speakers in the ceiling (close to the back wall), and use angled speakers for fronts.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
^ +1 to 4 speakers. You have room, move your sectional forward into the room, flush mount two rear speakers in the ceiling (close to the back wall), and use angled speakers for fronts.
I'll try to see if i can do four. Was speaking to some crutchfield "experts" and they all said it wouldnt be worth it with the seating position, I'm not sure how true that is. As far as the couch being pushed forward that would not be an option
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
I'll try to see if i can do four. Was speaking to some crutchfield "experts" and they all said it wouldnt be worth it with the seating position, I'm not sure how true that is. As far as the couch being pushed forward that would not be an option
If you won't move the sectional off the wall, rear ATMOS is pointless.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
atmos , atmos 5.1.2 , in-ceiling , in-ceiling speakers , vaulted ceiling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page