What to power FTW-21's? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
  • 1 Post By N8DOGG
  • 1 Post By notnyt
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 241
What to power FTW-21's?

I'm finally getting around to building my pair of FTW21's. Thanks again to LTD02 for the awesome, menacing design!

I purchased the drivers and amp close to a year ago, admittedly without a strong appreciation for what they're capable of. I'm now wondering if the single iNuke 6000 will be capable of powering both. I'm looking for opinions on my amp choice; will the iNuke do just fine or should I be looking for something else? The long term plan is to add near field subs - I could buy something else and reserve the iNuke for the nearfield. If that's the best approach, any recommendations? I haven't given any consideration to budget. I like the Crest Lite 7.5 but that's getting up there at close to $2k CDN.

Thanks!
Gouie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,199
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
I'm finally getting around to building my pair of FTW21's. Thanks again to LTD02 for the awesome, menacing design!

I purchased the drivers and amp close to a year ago, admittedly without a strong appreciation for what they're capable of. I'm now wondering if the single iNuke 6000 will be capable of powering both. I'm looking for opinions on my amp choice; will the iNuke do just fine or should I be looking for something else? The long term plan is to add near field subs - I could buy something else and reserve the iNuke for the nearfield. If that's the best approach, any recommendations? I haven't given any consideration to budget. I like the Crest Lite 7.5 but that's getting up there at close to $2k CDN.

Thanks!
After hearing about the roasted ftw-21s, I'm not sure if you'd want to feed them much more power than the nu6k is capable of.
notnyt is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Seriously? I obviously have some searching to do.
Gouie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,199
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Seriously? I obviously have some searching to do.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...1-warning.html

https://www.mach5audio.com/product/ftw-21-subwoofer/ says 1200w rms, the nu6k will output that x 2
notnyt is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Gouie is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 10,647
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 4181
I power my 21's with an FP14k, nothing less would do. I have to turn my 14k down to keep it from clipping. But mine aren't Mach5's nor ported nor have I ever owned an inuke. (I have played with a few inukes in-person, but never hammered on them nor played them side-by-side...) YMMV.

On that note, most of the subs tested on data-bass took the full 20kW, but only for milliseconds and only above 40hz.
Even the lowly HT-18 V1 if I recall... which is like ~600w or whatever.

High excursion "car" drivers are very inefficient at mid-bass, so even with all that power all it does is heat them up, for the most part...
Now the bigger subs, such as the 21's and 24's, do have somewhat-decent efficiency, but still not like ~100db/w/m or whatnot...

Depends on how much of a basshead you are and what type of frequencies to want out of it (and how loud).
There are always limits.
Most people don't even know what they want, they think they want more 1-20hz, but most are happier with solving their >30hz firstly. Which can be done cheaply with a handful of 18" or 21" Pro woofers.

When it comes to <20hz, almost no amount of cone-area or excursion will be sufficient. That's just the physics of it.
A dedicated 600V 3000amp 3-phase breaker is almost-enough... hehe!
stegen likes this.
BassThatHz is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My FTW-21's are fed by 3,400 watts of bridged QSC DCA3422 power (large, sealed), and have never been distressed. Give them big power, with proper gain structure, and you will 😁
zora is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Well, It should he noted that Bebb didnt even have his subs in room, they were in a floor below him and were used as transducers more than subs.... he also didnt have them setup properly and ran sine waves through them and over drove amps and subs lol. I dont think hes a fair comparison. Not to say its never happened to anyone else.
I ran my 8 with 1 channel of a fp14 clone each for 5 years, drove the crap outta them as well.
notfastenough likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,199
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Well, It should he noted that Bebb didnt even have his subs in room, they were in a floor below him and were used as transducers more than subs.... he also didnt have them setup properly and ran sine waves through them and over drove amps and subs lol. I dont think hes a fair comparison. Not to say its never happened to anyone else.
I ran my 8 with 1 channel of a fp14 clone each for 5 years, drove the crap outta them as well.
lol forgot about that, point noted, but the NU3K is only capable of 1600w of output.

1 channel of an old fp14k can burst a bunch, but will sustain <3kw of output. Divided among 8 woofers, that's not much.
notnyt is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
lol forgot about that, point noted, but the NU3K is only capable of 1600w of output.

1 channel of an old fp14k can burst a bunch, but will sustain <3kw of output. Divided among 8 woofers, that's not much.
4 x fp14000 amps, 1 channel each sub.. but it was what Bebbs was doing that just was a WTF kinda thing lol

After reading what he was doing and how he clearly had no idea what he was doing, its hard to say how truthful everything was.... either way, he got his money back in the end.
We all know Mark had some issues but the vast majority of ftw 21 owners are pretty happy with them.

I mean, I got 3 defective um18s in a freaking row 4 months ago for a build I did for a friend (as well as tons of other people with issues) and doesnt seem to stop anyone from recommending them, myself included!.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,199
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
4 x fp14000 amps, 1 channel each sub.. but it was what Bebbs was doing that just was a WTF kinda thing lol

After reading what he was doing and how he clearly had no idea what he was doing, its hard to say how truthful everything was.... either way, he got his money back in the end.
We all know Mark had some issues but the vast majority of ftw 21 owners are pretty happy with them.

I mean, I got 3 defective um18s in a freaking row 4 months ago for a build I did for a friend (as well as tons of other people with issues) and doesnt seem to stop anyone from recommending them, myself included!.
jfc, you'd think they'd sort those issues out by now. Was that before they switched mfrs or after?

Still though, the clones are going to have almost the same total output power for extended duration as the inuke... like 1200w vs 1400w per channel. They'll have a heap more burst, though, which is always nice.
N8DOGG likes this.
notnyt is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 10,647
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 4181
Yep, at the end of the day you'll still be limited by the breaker no matter what.

The newer clones are 90's efficient so you'd at least get 90% of the 3600w (assuming 120/30a or 240/15a), at least before the amplifier starts self-limiting that is (VPL/CPL etc).

As Not said, they have lots of capacitors which allows for a bit of over-unity bursting (it's not truly over-unity of course as it DOES take power to charge the caps but that IS done during non-peak moments), that's how you get 14-16kW from a 3.6kW breaker. Also breakers aren't instant, they have a trip-time curve, often multiples of x for a brief amount of time (seconds).

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll figure out an amp to buy.

If money is no object: there is always a SpeakerPower or PowerSoft K20/X8, no kill like overkill I guess. LOL!
N8DOGG likes this.
BassThatHz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off