Needing a Hi-Fi kit/recommendation for around 500$ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mobeer4don

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Needing a Hi-Fi kit/recommendation for around 500$

Hello Diyers? Diy’rs? Diys? I’m planning for a future hifi build. After looking online at big brand speakers like elac and klipsch for use in a 2.1 setup (bookshelf+sub), I stumbled upon Diy and became fascinated about the idea of getting outstanding sound for a half the price of what a manufactured one would cost you. I’m new to Diy so a kit would be a plausible option, however I have family that are experienced wood workers and solders. So, onto the main question: I require bookshelf speakers (and a sub but I care more about the bookshelfs). This is going to be a music first system but I’ll also be playing tv shows/youtube in the off hours. If you guys have any support to provide, I appreciate it deeply and have a good evening! Or morning! Or tea time! Or whatever you’re enjoying right now. (As well any receiver recommendations are appreciated as I’ve suffered multiple brain aneurisms trying to figure out what I need to power speakers and a sub and still have the most beautiful sound. But since Home Theatre receivers are the more common option to choose since they have sub out I’m worried they’re prioritized for movies and not music).

Shortened version:
Need a pair of bookshelf speakers
Sub Advice is accepted
Receiver advice is adored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 154
DIY really isn't about saving $. It is about getting more for the same $. Sure...we say that we "saved" thousands of $ going DIY

In my opinion, buying a used near TOTL AVR is a fine way to get an excellent performing receiver at a reasonable cost. Modern stereo receivers (Yamaha R-N803 for example) are out there but AVRs are obviously much more common.

The HT geeks often dump the AVRs after 3-7 years while chasing 4k, Dolby Atmos, 8k, or whatever the newest thing is. The AVR doesn't care if you only use 2-channels and if you get creative you can even use a spare channel or two to provide modest power to a subwoofer while saving cash to buy the monster subwoofer amp you want. Shop around locally and you might find a real bargain ($200-$500?) on craigslist for what was a $1000-$2000 AVR a few years ago. Of course local supply and demand is everything when buying used if you go that route.

Good luck!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I agree, you should consider getting a modest HT receiver, use it for 2.1 it 3.1 and then add to it later it's you decide to.

I'm going out of country and wanted to take a modest system with me. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR585. I think it was around $250-300ish can't remember exactly. And I built some overnight sensation MTM for LCR and overnight sensation TM for surrounds. I think I have about $75/box in the MTMs and maybe $60/box for the TM -- kits run a bit more but you don't have to build the box. A mono 12" sub would probably keep up with them. There is an s2000 kit which is a little more and newer -- you could consider this. I'll be in an apartment, so I'll probably skip the sub myself. It just depends on what your capabilities are and how much work you want to put into it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I have also been looking at bookshelf DIY and drawn to the Helix Dome MT or MTM. Low end response is supposed to be very good and high end tweeter too.

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-a...aker-kits.html
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Everyone! Thank you all for your advice as I’ve taken consideration for all and this is what I’ve concluded. I’ll check out kijiji and craiglist for a good second hand high end/modest receiver. And for bookshelfs, as suggested, I’ll be going for the Helix Dome MT. They look very compelling and I think it is the solution to my answer. However I’m still left with one question, how would you be able to use spare channels to power a sub? I thought a dedicated sub out was designed for a sub. But thats my only issue. Thank you all!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wolfe View Post
However I’m still left with one question, how would you be able to use spare channels to power a sub? I thought a dedicated sub out was designed for a sub.
Subwoofer out looped to audio input that is selected as the powered zone 2 source...subwoofer connected as zone 2 speaker. Obviously this only works if your AVR supports powered zone 2 speakers.
CrusherW9 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post
Subwoofer out looped to audio input that is selected as the powered zone 2 source...subwoofer connected as zone 2 speaker. Obviously this only works if your AVR supports powered zone 2 speakers.
That's pretty clever. Would the main volume knob control both zones simultaneously?

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."

Last edited by CrusherW9; 04-08-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
That's pretty clever. Would the main volume knob control both zones simultaneously?
Yes, basically. The subwoofer output (zone 2 input) would respond to the volume knob, of course, which means the subs should track the main volume. You would have to tweak the zone 2 volume to find the "correct" setting...which you might be able to set as the default at at power up.

The more I think about it, this is a really easy way to have fun with a pair small 2-ways and a pair of cheap sub drivers...a 3-way frankenspeaker where the woofer efficiency doesn't have to match the midbass and tweet and you don't need to know anything about crossovers.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Yes, basically. The subwoofer output (zone 2 input) would respond to the volume knob, of course, which means the subs should track the main volume. You would have to tweak the zone 2 volume to find the "correct" setting...which you might be able to set as the default at at power up.

The more I think about it, this is a really easy way to have fun with a pair small 2-ways and a pair of cheap sub drivers...a 3-way frankenspeaker where the woofer efficiency doesn't have to match the midbass and tweet and you don't need to know anything about crossovers.
So I've been tossing around the idea of building a frankenspeaker with the new coax speakers and the pa460. I couldn't figure out a "passive" crossover.

This is it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page