HiVi 3.1A Center Channel Wiring - Please Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question HiVi 3.1A Center Channel Wiring - Please Help

I’m about to embark on a DIY adventure and before I get started I’d like some best practices / ideas for wiring up the center channel.

The plan is to purchase two pair of the HiVI 3.1A diy kits off of Amazon.

One pair will be used for the L & R, and the second pair will be combined into a single C that will look something like this (WTMMTW): Axiom Audio VP180 Center Channel

I plan on upgrading the resistors in the crossover to the “perfectionist crossover”. You can read all about that on Midwest Audio Club's forum.

These speakers will be recessed into the wall of TV niche and I will be building new cabinets with front firing ports. I believe I have the dimensions for the boxes figured out.

My question is how would you wire up the center channel? Would you wire them as two separate speakers, using both crossovers, and then series them together at the terminal? Run both woofers, mids, and tweeters off of a single crossover? If so, would the crossover need to be redesigned? How do I keep the impedance the same?

I did some searching and found one person who converted these into a center channel, but my design is a little different. I have a feeling this is an eye-rolly question for most of you. However, I’m dumb! I’m all competence without comprehension—I can follow a recipe of how it all goes together, but once that deviates I don’t have the knowledge or experience to get it right.

Thanks for your guidance!

SWH

PS – I tried to post links / images but couldn't because I'm new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 121
before they made the c-note center i was trying to build a hybrid like yours to match my LR c-notes. I came across quite a few designs and if memory serves, the sunflower by paul carmody was a really complicated and large crossover that they had to make into 2 separate circuit boards.

Here is the sunflower design that this DIYer was able to make on one long board so it would fit inside the enclosure.

Take a look and see if these help you make up your mind?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunflower center crossover finished.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	2553372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunflower crossover design 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	2553376  
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ugh. I'm worried it'll turn into a can of worms and I'm not smart enough to dig myself out of it, haha.

I like the thought of building them with the two crossovers, but then series / parallel them together at the terminal. I'm just not sure how to keep it all at 4 ohms.

Didn't realize the C-Note had a center channel. That may be an option!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I do remember someone else on this board saying they executed the same thing with the hivi kit. they didn't give any info about the design and i'm not sure they used two mids and tweeters for their design. I can't remember where I seen the post.

samsung un55hu9000 sek3500 Marantz av7702 Audiocontrol Savoy 7x150 4x MA500U
swope center, tmww fronts, tm surrounds and rears
polk audio OWM3 x4 atmos
4 12" t3 audio subs ep4000 amp 2x15" type r sonotubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
center channel , diy , hivi 3.1a , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page