First build 8 x 12's bang for buck - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
@jcmccorm The people in this forum never seem to amaze me with your generosity! Do you think it would be worth getting the ported boxes? If it were you which would you get? I am going to buy these today. Getting excited.
I'd skip the ported boxes. People on this forum that are much smarter than I am about these things indicate that the specs for these particular JBLs don't support ported enclosures very well. I take that to mean that of course it would work, but you wouldn't gain the benefits of a ported enclosure so why not just go sealed.

Tough call on what to do. If you're anxious to go, I'd probably order the boxes and get going. You can build your own later on. Just note that you'll need EQ (which you need with these anyway) and you'll be boosting the low end a bit more than you ordinarily would with a bigger box. But you'll have something now and it will be impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can you all help me with what cables I need to buy to connect my Denon x2400 receiver to the nx3000d?

I only have tons of 12 gauge speaker wire.
post #33 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
8x of the JBLs along with HTM-12's. I can give you the cutlist for the boxes if you like.

You need a PJ in that space! Nice setup by the way.

Thanks.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #35 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I use RCA -> XLR from AVR to amp, like these: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Con.../dp/B001VLW398

These for amp -> sub box (use your 12Ga wire): https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Spe...DCJV089JS0BE2D

And this on the sub box: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8M8W00..._t1_B00YQJYEJO

So do I have this right then... I need

8 total Seismic Audio SAPT228 4 Pole SpeakOn Panel Mount Connector
2 total Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black with E21Gold Plated Connectors
10 total but only 3 4-packs - GLS Audio Speaker Plug Twist Lock 4 Pole Speaker Plug compatible with Neutrik Speakon NL4FC, NL4FX, NLT4X, NL2FC - 4 PACK

Last edited by jpolachak; 05-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #36 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
You need a PJ in that space! Nice setup by the way.

Thanks.
I know. I started this whole hobby with a CRT projector. I went through a few and ended up with a 9" Liquid Coupled beast (which I loved). I moved and it never went back up.

LCD TV's are just too easy.

That being said, this space would support a projector. I'll go digital this time. I've got a ceiling fan right where it would need to be mounted so it needs to move and I need to route cables. It'll be a project for sure but it'll happen.
post #37 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So do I have this right then... I need

8 total Seismic Audio SAPT228 4 Pole SpeakOn Panel Mount Connector
2 total Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black with E21Gold Plated Connectors
10 total but only 3 4-packs - GLS Audio Speaker Plug Twist Lock 4 Pole Speaker Plug compatible with Neutrik Speakon NL4FC, NL4FX, NLT4X, NL2FC - 4 PACK

How many boxes are you building?
post #38 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
How many boxes are you building?

I am building 4 boxes. Each box will support 2 x 12" jbl subs.
post #39 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Assuming using both channels of the NX3000 and using the NL4MPRs for an input and output then you would only need 6 of them. If splitting the signal on the wire side between amp and boxes, you only need 1 per box.

Then 2 + <number of NL4MPRs> = number of NL4FX.

Only 1 RCA -> XLR is required, but you can use 2.
jpolachak likes this.
post #40 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

@smcmillan2 Can you describe what you mean by splitting the signal on the wire side between the amp and box? Also which would you build? Sorry if this is a total newbie question.

I am using both channels of the nx3000.

Let me try my best. I plan to wire these series parallel. Per the12volt.com I see that the positive lead from amp needs to be split outside the box so it can wire two boxes to to positive terminals on the sub. Then in each sub box wire negative to positive from each sub in a single box. Then do the same for the negative side.

I believe that's what your saying. However, I dont get how I would do it using additional NL4MPR connection plates on the box.

Are all NL4MPR connectors the same? I ask because the one smcmillan2 used only has one available on amazon.
post #41 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I also just wanted to add I have decided to build the boxes that @jcmccorm sent me the cut list to use. To bad these wont be done for the GoT finale. I am going to try though!

Do I need new gaskets for these drivers? Also what do I use to seal the NL4MPRs to the box? Anything I am missing to finish these?

Last edited by jpolachak; 05-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #42 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
@smcmillan2 Can you describe what you mean by splitting the signal on the wire side between the amp and box? Also which would you build? Sorry if this is a total newbie question.

Let me try my best. I plan to wire these series parallel. Per the12volt.com I see that the positive lead from amp needs to be split outside the box so it can wire two boxes to to positive terminals on the sub. Then in each sub box wire negative to positive from each sub in a single box. Then do the same for the negative side.

I believe that's what your saying. However, I dont get how I would do it using additional NL4MPR connection plates on the box.

Are all NL4MPR connectors the same? I ask because the one smcmillan2 used only has one available on amazon.

I connected mine using both spade connectors and banana plugs.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	2568038

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jpolachak likes this.
post #43 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also just wanted to add I have decided to build the boxes that @jcmccorm sent me the cut list to use. To bad these wont be done for the GoT finale. I am going to try though!

Do I need new gaskets for these drivers? Also what do I use to seal the NL4MPRs to the box? Anything I am missing to finish these?

They don’t come with gaskets. I used this weather stripping on my prefabricated boxes...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jpolachak likes this.
post #44 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Splicing the wires - One length of speaker wire from amp attached to 2 lengths (all reds to reds, blacks to blacks) before reaching the cabinets. That's your parallel wiring. Wire the 2 drivers within the box in series to equal an 8 ohm load, then the split wiring in parallel brings you to a 4 ohm load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak

Subs wired in series within each cabinet, and wired +1/-1 to 2 NL4MPRs on the box. One acts as the input (from the amp), the other as output (to next cabinet). Same load as above, you're just moving the "splice" to the inside of a cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak
Pretty much. I've used them from Seismic Audio, GLS Audio, Hosa and Neutrik. No problems with any of them. For example: https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Spe...SDR67Z4VNAT1ZY
jpolachak likes this.
post #45 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

May 19th? Woah. Hat's off to you if you can pull it off. It's possible I guess if you don't do any finishing on them. Do you have a nail gun? Mine is 16ga but most here use 18ga I think. Anyway, glue and nail (with lots of using a square before you nail it). You can finish them in no time. Lots of stuff to do though. It's possible, if you start now and don't have much else to do until Sunday night

You'll need gaskets under the drivers. I used gasket tape from PE but I'm sure the box-store stuff will work great.

I didn't put any gasket under the nuetrik connectors. I'm pretty sure I ran a bead of silicone around them from the inside once they were installed though. I'm not sure it's necessary though. Don't forget the stuffing and leave yourself some time to EQ them.
jpolachak likes this.
post #46 of 48 Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I didn't put any gasket under the nuetrik connectors. I'm pretty sure I ran a bead of silicone around them from the inside once they were installed though. I'm not sure it's necessary though.
I use the NL4MPRs due to the fact that I have never had to seal them with anything. So long as they are screwed to a good flat surface they seal themselves.
jpolachak likes this.
post #47 of 48 Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hi there,

subscribing since I am trying to to the same with 4 double boxes i.e. 8 JBLs.

So is a 3000D Behringer enough or would a 6000D be better suited?

N.
post #48 of 48 Old 05-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Hi there,

subscribing since I am trying to to the same with 4 double boxes i.e. 8 JBLs.

So is a 3000D Behringer enough or would a 6000D be better suited?

N.

I am currently running four JBLs on one channel of a 3000DSP. It would be easy to run four more on the second channel. Just make sure to wire them to a four ohm load and you will have plenty of power.

jpolachak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page