AVS Forum banner

Jk’s htm-8, mbm-12 towers

14K views 281 replies 35 participants last post by  Jk7.2 
#1 ·
A very good friend came over the other day and very nicely asked me to sell him my entire 893 setup I just built with subs. So I sold the setup. That leaves me a hole to fill in the living room. Hence this new build. Towers with htm-8’s on top of 12” mbm’s. This will be all one box, separate section sealed between the woofer and the htm. I got the idea when seeing all the builds lately where the baffles are being chopped up and used as needed. So I’ll be cutting off the roundovers and using the baffles I now have. Upper section will be ported as designed, and the lower will be ported via slot port 2” tall, 13” wide, and 24” long. Netting a 28hz tune. Should be fantastic for 2 channel music. Much more to come.
Overall dimensions are 16x15x42

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
HTM-8, MBM-12 TOWERS

Total size, 16’’ wide, 15” deep, 42.75” tall
Port is 13X2X24’’. Box tune of 28Hz with cf deducted as follows
1cf for HTM-8 area, .5cf for port
Starting at 4.67cf takes it down to 3.17cf net.

Baffle panel for the HTM-8 will be cut to fit the cabinet with ports remaining front firing. Bottom will be separate chamber for the woofer, as well as amped separate. HTM-8 crossover will stay as is. As long as the port velocity and spl and 1st port resonance is good, ill start ordering up this cabinet cut to size asap. There’s a pile of diysg boxes on my front porch as we speak, so naturally I’m getting excited for another project.

TOTAL SIZE 16 wide 15 deep 42 3/4 tall

4@ 15X42 3/4’’ sides
2@ 14.5X42 Backs
2@ 14.5X15 Bottoms
2@ 14.5X22.5 Fronts
2@ 14.5X14.25 Tops
4@ 2X14.25 Bottom rails
4@ 2X13.75 Back rails
2@ 14.5X12.25 Port bottom
2@ 14.5X13 Port backs
2@ 14.5X10.75 Bottom braces
4@ 14.5X13.5 Upper braces
2@ 14.5X16 Upper chamber back
4@1 3/8X16 Baffle flanks

Baffle will be 16” tall, 11 3/4 wide after modifying

#3 ·
What DSP you gonna use to ensure they blend well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The htm8’s will be on the stock crossover, and the mbm12’s will be on an inuke. So it will be just like tuning mains to subs. Only difference is it will be all on one box. Obviously Bi-amp with two terminals per cab. Or one 4 pole speakon. Yeah, speakon is the way to go here.

#9 ·
After hearing so many kits you chose the HTM 8. That says a lot about that model.

Considering the mbm woofer will be so close to the htm8 you might be able to seal the HTM and run the mbm up to 150-200hz. That could save a little cab space. The mbm12 should do 150hz better than the htm8. And you will have full control over the 12. Just a thought. If that was built as a true 3 way the 12 would be run up plenty high enough to seal the mid.

#10 ·
After hearing so many kits you chose the HTM 8. That says a lot about that model.

Considering the mbm woofer will be so close to the htm8 you might be able to seal the HTM and run the mbm up to 150-200hz. That could save a little cab space. The mbm12 should do 150hz better than the htm8. And you will have full control over the 12. Just a thought. If that was built as a true 3 way the 12 would be run up plenty high enough to seal the mid.

Interesting idea. I didn’t really want to alter the original design. And as it is now, the tune is low enough and box a reasonable size. Plus I can play with crossovers and such in the avr.
Thanks to @eng-399 again for running the sim for me. Everything checks out in winisd.

#29 ·
Ditto!

#12 ·
It’s kinda like a tweaked Maximus 12 speaker IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jk7.2
#13 ·
This will be all one box, separate section sealed between the woofer and the htm. I got the idea when seeing all the builds lately where the baffles are being chopped up and used as needed.
Placing your subs in the spot your speaker stands would have been rarely results in the best possible bass reproduction in a room. This is effectively what you're doing.

#21 ·
Thanks man. Want to see my list?
3 Cinema 10’s
2 12” mbm’s
3 Titans
3 1099’s
2 1299 towers
4 volt 10’s
4 volt 6’s
2 htm-6’s
3 893’s
2 closeout 15” subs
Now 2 htm-8 towers with mbms
And 2 more closeout 15 subs gettin built.
I think that’s it.

And around 15 more sub builds that didn’t have to do with diysg.
I’m getting up there. Lol

#30 ·
Geez jk7.2, you have a very high liked to post ratio! Excellent work!

#31 ·
Dude is a beast! And I mean that in a good way;)

#34 ·
Recommendation after doing a good amount of work with tbe MBM12s in a full range design, with that lower tune and the total output capability of them limited by excursion, to get the most out of your HTM8, consider going with two 12s. The 12 solo is going to run out gas long before the HTM, however having said that if your happy with less than max spl, just put a limiter on your 12 at max excursion (300-400w IIRL) to protect it and level match the HTM. I also agree that crossing the 12 higher at 120-150Hz or so and sealing or raising the tune of the HTM might be a bit more efficient, using the best of all deivers in their wheelhouse.

In any case i really like the design and plan man!!! Ill be following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#35 ·
Yeah I’m no speaker designer! I was gonna try and keep this build simple. I had 1099’s that I played 2 channel ontop of the mbm12’s before, and I thought that sounded good. Even with movie content. Those 12’s were getting an inuke 3000dsp bridged. So close to 1000 watts each woofer. Highpassed accordingly. With this speaker, it’s in one cab, but I’m treating it as htm-8 with a sub. So audyssey will see it as htm-8 mains and mbm-12’s as the lfe output. I’ll definitely play with crossover and raise it, measure results and so on. We’re not going for max spl here, but if bottom end is lacking, I also picked up 4 more of the limited availability 15’s, so I’ll use one or two!
Thanks for your interest in my project and your advice.

#41 ·
Hmm, I don't remember a center either.

#45 ·
Excellent build quality!

#53 ·
I carved out an hour to play. I call this my ‘proof of concept’ mock-up. These are gonna be sweet. The baffle will be flush when done and the whole front veneered. I’m excited about this project.
What, no pictures of the closet organizer and new closet doors?? :D:D

#56 ·
Oh, so you fellas came to Ohio for the wood?

That mock up looks AWESOME!

#57 ·
I think I would plug the round ports and try to make those 2 slots work as ports???

#58 ·
My plan is to run the baffles through a table saw and take off the roundovers. So the tower baffles will be 4 pieces of wood all glued up into one. My bottom panel, the htm baffle, and I have two mdf strips for the sides of the htm baffle. I plan on keeping the round ports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.