AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   NX4-6000 With DSP? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3063088-nx4-6000-dsp.html)

doodoobutter 04-19-2019 09:09 AM

NX4-6000 With DSP?

My google action doesn't return any results. Are they going to put out this amp with DSP like they did with the NX6000D? It would be nice to run mains, center, and subs off of one amp (assuming I can run different resistance on different channels).

Russdawg1 04-19-2019 10:27 AM

No, you’d need a MiniDSP of some sort. Also, why would you need 2000 something watts per channel of your LCR? Not to mention that iNukes aren’t generally known for having the better quality sound. Your AVR’s amp section will sound better. At least mine does.

doodoobutter 04-19-2019 10:49 AM

It's a 4 channel amp. The 2 channel version does have a DSP option, so I was hoping this one would too at some point. My mains and center are going to be HT-12s. That would give 440 watts each to the mains and center at 8ohms, and 860 watts from one channel to 4x 12" subwoofers at 4ohms. I don't think it's overkill, and honestly I'm leaving a couple hundred watts on the table with the subs. I could do 2 ohms with the subs if the amp will let me.

I'd really like them to put out this amp with DSP.

Russdawg1 04-19-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodoobutter (Post 57925120)
It's a 4 channel amp. The 2 channel version does have a DSP option, so I was hoping this one would too at some point. My mains and center are going to be HT-12s. That would give 440 watts each to the mains and center at 8ohms, and 860 watts from one channel to 4x 12" subwoofers at 4ohms. I don't think it's overkill, and honestly I'm leaving a couple hundred watts on the table with the subs. I could do 2 ohms with the subs if the amp will let me.

I'd really like them to put out this amp with DSP.

They didn’t release the old NU4 6000 in a DSP form which is why I don’t think the NX series will come out with one.

Might I ask what the efficiency of your HT-12’s are?

And the NX does 2 ohms last time I checked.

smcmillan2 04-19-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodoobutter (Post 57925120)

I think you'll be surprised at how easy the HTMs are to drive. I can easily get my HTM-10s to uncomfortable levels with AVR power - ~70W/channel max. So I would say 440W is overkill, but what the heck, this is the DIY subforum. ;)

Oklahomie 04-19-2019 01:52 PM

I was told at some point in time not use a pro amp for LRC duties. You might ask Erich what he recommends for an amplifier, but even a receiver can make those speakers shine.

For reference, I am driving my titans from my receiver and they sound incredible. I think I’m pushing 110 watts per channel.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson636 04-19-2019 03:32 PM

I'm really not sure where all this "pro amps are bad for mains" business is coming from. I've run my mains, rears and atmos with a combination of pro amps and I can't tell any difference at all when I used the avr to power them; whether it be measurements or my ears. I'm currently running my mains with a clone 10k. If there is a difference it certainly not discernible.

smcmillan2 04-19-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson636 (Post 57926436)
I'm really not sure where all this "pro amps are bad for mains" business is coming from. I've run my mains, rears and atmos with a combination of pro amps and I can't tell any difference at all when I used the avr to power them; whether it be measurements or my ears. I'm currently running my mains with a clone 10k. If there is a difference it certainly not discernible.

I don't see where "all this "pro amps are bad for mains" business is coming from." is in this thread. Once the OP disclosed that they were looking at the DIYSG HT line the responses were fairly static, that the OP would likely be very happy with them on AVR power (with the possible exception that I mistook the OP's HT response to be HTM).

In short, run the HTs on AVR power. If you feel the need to get them going harder than that, look into outboard amps.

johnson636 04-19-2019 04:49 PM

The avr being very capable of running speakers is different from saying using pro amps on mains is bad. This sentiment has been post in various thread as of late. I do agree that most diysg speakers can be driven well by the avr:)

rr14 04-19-2019 06:08 PM

there have been several people that switched from reputable amps to inukes and wouldn't go back. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. An emotiva to inuke 4-6000 discussion a while back comes to mind.

Oklahomie 04-19-2019 08:08 PM

Sorry guys, my intent was not to dog on inukes for LRC duties. I guess more importantly than what if they are good or not for that use, I do think it’s probably too much power for the duty, but I’m not an expert, so I’ll hush. I’m sure it would work great!

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doodoobutter 04-21-2019 07:51 AM

Sorry for the delay, 16 hour shifts, ugh.

I guess I'll give up on the 4 channel amp coming out with DSP and get 2 amps. I'm kind of hesitant to beat on an AVR with these, I tend to blast music and it's a large space. I'll drive the center with the AVR and the mains and subwoofers from pro amps. I guess I'll try driving the HTs from both and see if I can hear the difference. I can always use that amp for more subwoofers if I don't like it driving the mains.

To answer a question, the HTs have a sensitivity of 97db. I do plan to run them at reference from time to time. Possibly some live concert blurays with hearing protection on because beer and I might be crazy.

matt/E 04-22-2019 09:14 PM

Something like an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 would be my recommendation, and then an iNuke or NX for the subs.