BOSS Build with 3 JBL 12” drivers - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 200Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 132 Old 07-16-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
@Sekosche , I bought 4 12" JBL's and some plywood. I have 2 spare channels on my Outlaw 5000 amp. Can you tell me what parts I need for a mini BOSS platform? I've never done a speaker build before so don't really know what cables, connectors, etc. that I need to connect the speakers to the amp and the amp to the AVR. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

Definitely check out the BOSS thread I linked in the first post.

What materials do you have aside from the amp and drivers? You’ll need some plywood, soft isolators, and depending on what tools you have, a few other minor things: jigsaw, drill, wood glue if doing more than one layer of ply, possibly electrical tape, some quick disconnects for wiring and a soldering iron or you can just bare wire and tape them all up if you’d prefer. Any 14-16g wire will do, smaller is probably better since the speaker terminals are pretty small and won’t need to run a lot of power unless you have an unusually long run of wire over 50+ feet.

Your Outlaw amp will easily power two sets of them nicely with two connected per channel wired in series; with an 8ohm load per channel you’ll get about 60w per driver which is excellent. I haven’t used a typical AVR for this purpose, but you’ll essentially just run speaker wire directly to the BOSS drivers from the amp, and then tweak it to your power level and LPF desired (typically much lower than your mains) and setting the delay will be the only thing really needed on the amp side.

There’s several people in the BOSS thread using a receiver similar to what you’re seeking to great effect.

I’ve been busy building my 21” nearfield sub so haven’t been very active with the BOSS thread lately, but it’s amazing!
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 132 Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Definitely check out the BOSS thread I linked in the first post.

What materials do you have aside from the amp and drivers? You’ll need some plywood, soft isolators, and depending on what tools you have, a few other minor things: jigsaw, drill, wood glue if doing more than one layer of ply, possibly electrical tape, some quick disconnects for wiring and a soldering iron or you can just bare wire and tape them all up if you’d prefer. Any 14-16g wire will do, smaller is probably better since the speaker terminals are pretty small and won’t need to run a lot of power unless you have an unusually long run of wire over 50+ feet.

Your Outlaw amp will easily power two sets of them nicely with two connected per channel wired in series; with an 8ohm load per channel you’ll get about 60w per driver which is excellent. I haven’t used a typical AVR for this purpose, but you’ll essentially just run speaker wire directly to the BOSS drivers from the amp, and then tweak it to your power level and LPF desired (typically much lower than your mains) and setting the delay will be the only thing really needed on the amp side.

There’s several people in the BOSS thread using a receiver similar to what you’re seeking to great effect.

I’ve been busy building my 21” nearfield sub so haven’t been very active with the BOSS thread lately, but it’s amazing!
Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I will head over to the BOSS thread and do some more research.
Sekosche likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #123 of 132 Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Gotta love Ego! This is the 3rd year for my Ego equipment.

Oh! Your project looks pretty cool, too!
So FUnny I was thinking the exact opposite. That thing is embarrassing to pull out in front of the neighbors. I through all my eGo crap out at the same time mainly since they were grossly underpowered and a bit to early for an e-Lawner. (The weed wacker took forever to use on 1/3 acre having to replace the battery at least once)

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
kagtha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 132 Old 08-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
kagtha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Thanks for the link, I read through his thread in the last few weeks! Yeah I definitely love the midbass the nearfields bring and can’t replicate that with in riser drivers passed this low, but it does bridge the gap a bit. I honestly can barely remember my first setup in this room it’s changed so much over the last few years. I started with a Klipsch 5.1 with a PC12+ that I sold for 1/4 the retail price, lol. My room has evolved into an absolute monster of a system for TR, and I love it. I don’t think I’m going to change anything for a while; the more content I watch the happier I am with how it turned out. Will I become desensitized to the BOSS after a time, I don’t think so, not like previous theater additions anyway.

After building the DIY Atmos speakers and now the BOSS back to back in the last two months, this is my last project for a while, so I can relax and enjoy some family time I’ve neglected lately. I feel selfish spending time tinkering with my hobbies when the family is home, but I work opposite schedules of them, so it’s in short supply these days and have to make it count. I enjoy this hobby, but my boys bring me real joy.
"LIES!!!!!" lol


At your current rate, you will lose your hearing by 2020.

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
kagtha is offline  
post #125 of 132 Old 08-30-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
So FUnny I was thinking the exact opposite. That thing is embarrassing to pull out in front of the neighbors. I through all my eGo crap out at the same time mainly since they were grossly underpowered and a bit to early for an e-Lawner. (The weed wacker took forever to use on 1/3 acre having to replace the battery at least once)
...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butt hurt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2609314  

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #126 of 132 Old 08-31-2019, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 163
@Sekosche


Are you using a the Hudson HiFi 1.25" isolators for your BOSS mini-riser platform? I know you are also using the Crownson isos also but it seems the majority of your isos are the Hudson HiFi hemispheres.



I am just wondering what clearance you have between the your JBL drivers & the floor?
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #127 of 132 Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
@Sekosche


Are you using a the Hudson HiFi 1.25" isolators for your BOSS mini-riser platform? I know you are also using the Crownson isos also but it seems the majority of your isos are the Hudson HiFi hemispheres.

I am just wondering what clearance you have between the your JBL drivers & the floor?

Yes, I’m using the 1.25” Hudson isos, but I had a Crowson ISO fall apart recently so I took them out. I forget how many I’m using now on each platform, quite a few. I flush mounted the drivers into the second piece of plywood for a little more clearance on BOSS 2.0 and it worked great.

I have about 15/16” ground clearance now, and only had maybe 3/8” or less with the last version. It was nearly enough clearance with the first BOSS, but I did have one driver under the MLP (where the most weight is) that had a small ring of dust on its surround from touching the floor I assume during heavy excursion.

Nalleh and AdamAttewell like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #128 of 132 Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Member
 
xpertpredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you have a diagram of how to wire up three jbls? Also any suggestions on what amp to use?
xpertpredator is online now  
post #129 of 132 Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 202
BOSS Build with 3 JBL 12” drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Do you have a diagram of how to wire up three jbls? Also any suggestions on what amp to use?


Three jbl’s is an inconvenient load, as they can only be wired to 1.33ohm (parallel) or 12ohm (series).
The good news is they take very little power to drive in BOSS configuration, so most amps have plenty at 12ohm.
Most people seem to use nx1000d or nx3000d.

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a77cj7 is offline  
post #130 of 132 Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I run my JBL IB in series parallel (12 ohm to 6 ohm) in manifolds of six with an inuke1000DSP and it makes many of the basses.
Zarkoff500 is online now  
post #131 of 132 Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Member
 
xpertpredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Do you have a diagram of how to wire up three jbls? Also any suggestions on what amp to use?


Three jbl’️s is an inconvenient load, as they can only be wired to 1.33ohm (parallel) or 12ohm (series).
The good news is they take very little power to drive in BOSS configuration, so most amps have plenty at 12ohm.
Most people seem to use nx1000d or nx3000d.

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I ordered the nx3000d. Convinced the wife. I have some 1/2" plywood lying around. I'm going to cut a circle to test fit a driver under my sofa
xpertpredator is online now  
post #132 of 132 Old 11-07-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
@xpertpredator, could wire them like this, as that is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-SVC-2-ohm-mono.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	2637572  
lizrussspike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off