How to use Volt 8’s in-wall, sound-proofed basement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 442
How to use Volt 8’s in-wall, sound-proofed basement

In my basement build, I am strongly leaning towards ported Volt’s for the side and rear surrounds. Me being me, I want to put them in-wall, unless this is a bad idea for reasons I do not yet understand.

My assumptions:
1) For optimal bass (will be crossed over at 80), I need to make a cabinet that has the same cubic footage as the typical enclosure
2) Flush mounting the baffle with the wall might be bad, for acoustical reasons I do not yet fully comprehend
3) The speaker PROBABLY needs a backer box to prevent sound traveling up the walls into the house. I wonder if I can get away with just GG’ing drywall to whatever enclosure I make. I will need to have the backer box AND speaker connected solely to resilient channel OR some kind of clips.

Am I missing anything here? Overdoing it? Thoughts in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked: 3104
Why do you think #2 ? What is your plan if you don't flush mount it?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Why do you think #2 ? What is your plan if you don't flush mount it?

I have run into some posts on baffle walls and the need to know the polar dispersion plot something something acoustical something something not as simple as I thought. If I’m wrong, then I’ll be happy

If I don’t flush mount, I’ll have the box, maybe even the stock box, protrude out a little. Not a big deal. Stock Volt 8 ported box needs 6.5” clearance I think? Between studs, channel, and 1.25” drywall, I’ll have ~5.75” depth, but that’s not taking into account a backer box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Re: #2 - SBIR is a potential problem if they would be absolutely flushed into the walls, but I am not anywhere near qualified to speak on that.

For #1 - Yes, build a box with same internal net volume.

For #3 - I'm not sure what you're asking here if you are planning on boxes for the speaker anyway? Are you asking about IB usage of the Volts? I have read many posts here that use them in IB successfully.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
I have run into some posts on baffle walls and the need to know the polar dispersion plot something something acoustical something something not as simple as I thought. If I’m wrong, then I’ll be happy

If I don’t flush mount, I’ll have the box, maybe even the stock box, protrude out a little. Not a big deal. Stock Volt 8 ported box needs 6.5” clearance I think? Between studs, channel, and 1.25” drywall, I’ll have ~5.75” depth, but that’s not taking into account a backer box.
Flush vs. 2" sticking out isn't going to make any appreciable difference. Presumably you'll be running a receiver or pre-pro with Audyssey or similar which will correct the bass response anamoly of the speaker the close proximity to the wall will cause. On wall, in wall, flush in wall are all going to have the same issue.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flush vs. 2" sticking out isn't going to make any appreciable difference. Presumably you'll be running a receiver or pre-pro with Audyssey or similar which will correct the bass response anamoly of the speaker the close proximity to the wall will cause. On wall, in wall, flush in wall are all going to have the same issue.

Cool, and thank you- that opens up options. Still need to figure out the backer box issue
post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
Cool, and thank you- that opens up options. Still need to figure out the backer box issue
You don't need backer boxes if you have complete speaker boxes that are mounted in the wall and sealed to the drywall.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You don't need backer boxes if you have complete speaker boxes that are mounted in the wall and sealed to the drywall.

Thank you again-
This is consistent with in-ceiling/in-wall speakers (especially in the ceiling) not needing their own cabinet AND a backer box (frequent posts in the forum), but there is a lot I don’t know, so I appreciate the confirmation.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Fairly certain the Volts were designed to work just fine in free air for Atmos. If you're using them for surrounds then yes they suggest the ported version and an enclosure/backer box.

From the Volt 8 Version 2 page:

"The crossover was designed to give an even response that not only excels for surround sound speaker use, but also for great front speaker performance. The Volt-8 does quite well in small ported enclosures between .5 and .7cuft when used with a subwoofer. The Atmos version is a small sealed enclosure designed to play down to 100hz, which is great for Atmos use. You can use them mounted in your ceiling without an enclosure for Atmos use if needed. For surround sound or mains, you should build the ported models."

Roll Tide.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

That's certainly not preferred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version