Help on fixing braces in full marty - do we need screws or just gluing is enough - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kennyandersen
  • 1 Post By Stereodude

post #1 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help on fixing braces in full marty - do we need screws or just gluing is enough

I am building my second full marty. When fixing braces, is it necessary to fix them to the walls using screws or nails? Or just gluing them up to the wall good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If you're using a quality wood glue like something in the Titebond series, the bond will be stronger than the wood. No screws or nails will be needed.

If you want to convince yourself of this, glue two scrap pieces together and break them apart after the proper glue curing time. The glue won't be what breaks.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
All that is true about glue... I glued and screwed for two reasons 1) the screw holds it in place until the glue dries, 2) I'm a structural analyst.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Chris Popovich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 826
I use screws and glue too, but will the screws impact on finishing the sub?

You might use some bar clamps or even web clamps, to keep everything in place, while the glue sets up.

I personally prefer polyurethane glue for it's expanding nature that seals gaps, but that does exert pressure so I need to something to offset that property while the glue
dries.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all answers. Used glue is quite good. Any impact on finishing can be fixed so that's not a big concern to me. I have used 18mm MDF or similar for braces. Since thickness is not that much, putting screws usually split the section. Would putting nails instead using automatic nailer be effective as screws?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Glue can be used by itself for braces, though I prefer to use some sort of mechanical fastener and glue. While it is certainly true that glue is stronger than the wood fiber, glue joints can, and do fail.

If you look at the end grain of a solid wood board with magnification, the fibers are more or less a straw or tube like structure. Here is an example of maple under magnification:

Typically when installing bracing, you are relying on an end grain to face joint. This is much weaker than gluing two faces of the fiber together, and the porous end grain absorbs more of the adhesive.

This forum has more information on gluing and clamping:

http://www.woodweb.com/KnowledgeBase/KBAdhesives.html

This is a good topic on clamping:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._pressure.html

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4240 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
Glue, clamp, shoot some brads, un-clamp, glue, clamp, shoot some brads, etc... Much less hassle when finishing the box than screws to cover and hide and you don't have to take days building your enclosure doing a panel or two at a time waiting 24 hours for glue to dry.
Sekosche likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page